Rayon Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
Nirvana on the Beach(Negril)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssun beachquick walk across the streeteasy access to the beachcomplimentary waterwalk in closetclean hotelbreakfast was includedbooked last minutemade to order eggsqueen bedpoolside barhour securitygreat balconybeds were very comfortablejamaican breakfastnice pooljamaican style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I have to echo all the positive reviews here: I had a lovely stay at the Rayon Hotel. My room was clean and had a great balcony where I could chill out and listen to the crickets. The property is surrounded by lush palm trees and other flora which complement the old-fashioned charm of the building. The staff were all lovely, friendly and helpful, with good suggestions for excursions. Taxi driver Romaine took me where I wanted to go at a reasonable rate and the chef, John, made a fantastic jerk chicken. Breakfast is cooked to order: I recommend the saltfish and ackee, which looks just like scrambled eggs. Good coffee too.

The bar was friendly but not intrusive or overly loud at all, although it was the quiet season when I was there. Internet access is provided onsite which is really convenient. The beach is just across the street, a 5 minute walk, as is the Sunbeach bar and restaurant, which serves great fresh seafood and is a wonderful place to watch the sunset from. They also provide live music some nights as well as a fire-eater, and the owner Dennis sings too (very well). People will pitch boat trips, and occasionally ganja, to you on the beach, but I never felt harassed.

Negril is more of a party town than I had realised, but I would stay at the Rayon again as it provided the peace and quiet I look for on a holiday.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank bag_already_packed
Reviewed June 12, 2008

After reading about rayon on the negril forum and discussion about its quality i was a bit worried. I loved it... It is in a perfect position for the beach has a nice clean pool and the food is wonderful. The breakfasts are superb and the evening meals are cooked by a young chef who learnt all he knows from his grandma. I liked the fact that it was not on the beach so you could go back and relax without any hassle. There is a small gym , a pool table, jacuzzi, beauty salon and restaurant, car park and a security guard on all night (who is really friendly). I was so pleased i hadnt gone AI as these seem very americanised and cut off from jamaican life. The only thing i would say is stay in a superior room or higher as the standard rooms seemed too small and hot.All the staff here are lovely and very helpful and i would go back at the bat of an eyelid. I also want to add that i went with a teenage boy and a child and it was completely suitable for them too. RAYON ROCKS

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mantravel
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I was there the last week of April and have to admit I was quite impressed with the place. I read all the positive reviews but still was a little skeptical about the place. What a great surprise and what a gem.

It is located on the morass side of the road and beautifully landscaped. If love plants you will love the gardens here. Check-in was a breeze, couldn’t have been easier or quicker. I arrived late afternoon on a Sat, so only had about an hour before the stores closed in town. I asked at the front desk to arrange for a ride and by the time I was ready to go a driver was waiting for me. Also I decided to rent a fridge, I stayed in a deluxe room (Rm106) and by the time I got to the room, the fridge arrived. The service was excellent. Everyone was friendly and accommodating.

While I was there it was very quiet every nite. My room was close to the bar area and if something was going on at the bar area I had no idea and couldn’t hear anything. The rooms are extremely clean and a good size. My room had a patio area, so it was nice to unwind there just before dinner. I did eat a few meals at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The meals are cooked to order and very fresh and delicious. Also there are many good places to get a meal within a short walk such as Best in the West, Chances, Charela Inn, Chill Awhile and Pilot Café.

I thought I would have a problem staying on the morass side since I’m use to staying on a beach property, but it worked out great. The beach area (Sun Beach) across the street was very convenient and fun. It’s great for sunset gatherings and entertainment.

The owner is on property the entire time and is very approachable and fun to talk with. If there is a problem, bring it to her attention and it will be addressed. I traveled solo and felt extremely safe. I didn’t use the pool but it was very clean and tempting.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank smithnj
Reviewed April 20, 2008

We chose the Rayon Hotel after collecting information on the Internet and till our last two days there, we were quite satisfied with our choice. Unfortunately, a group of American travellers made our last days at the Rayon a bit of a nightmare. Music played aloud in the rooms and shouting in the middle of the night were just the beginning. Parties went on till 3 am in the morning and our complaints were ignored. We avoided to stay in the hotel because of this group of people with no respect for others.

Rooms and food (there's just a restaurant with moderate to high prices) were ok, but not really outstanding. Rayon Staff was friendly but you always have the feeling (as almost everywhere in Jamaica) that as a tourist you're ripped off.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank ciminella
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I booked to return to the Rayon Hotel (August) while I was there, that is how impressed I was with this property. I was astonished to find this fine place with the all the amenities of the larger hotels at a reasonable price.
I find the room to be very clean, the closet is large, the bathroom is a comfortable size that I can get dressed in and the hot water is hot.
The bedroom is large, the A/C worked well and the porch with relaxing rattan chairs and table was quite comfortable.
The food was excellent, Thanks Ms. Lorna. You order and it is cooked for you. Not the mass cooking and refrigerated food and leftover.
It was quite easy to get to and from the beach which is just across the street.
The gardens are beautiful and the vegetations on the property are lush.
I did not use the pool but you could see it was clean.
The Internet Cafe is off the hook because access is easy and it is free.
I find the staff to be quite friendly and the Manager/Owner is always on property, easy to find and is most responsive and affable.
I have already recruited friends to stay at the Rayon. I just cannot wait for August.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family