“The perfect place to celebrate a wedding.”
Review of Villas Sur Mer

Ranked #4 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“The perfect place to celebrate a wedding.”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I had the fortune of being invited to a wedding hosted at VSM. We are so glad we got to experience Negril this way. From check in (there's NOTHING like a hug from Kimi) to the check out (tears and more hugs from all the staff), we were treated like honored guests.

For our first three nights, we shared cabin 5 with another couple. We had the upstairs bedroom, and with all windows open, we didn't even need to turn the air on. The breeze was amazing, and the bed was very comfy. (I would say I slept well, but the stupid goat next door seemed to have other ideas for me.) I loved the coffee, the fresh fruit, and the friendly staff that not only hung up my hastily discarded clothes (who has time for folding when there is a hot tub waiting?!) and also kept our room looking in tip top shape.

While on the garden side, we had the opportunity to enjoy the bar (pina coladas from Cliffie are the VERY best), enjoy some late-night hot tubbing in the massive hot tub, and basically just really get onto island time. (Trust me, it's much better than my city time to which I'm accustomed!) The staff was marvelous, taking the time to get to know our names and always quick with a friendly smile.

We moved across the street to the seaside villa for our last few days. Honestly, if you can get six couples together for a trip, you would do yourself a disservice not to stay in this gorgeous house. The six bedrooms each have their own bathroom (plenty of privacy) and have an amazing kitchen/living area for its guests. The pool (with basketball hoop) and hot tub were a great hit for our group too.

My dear friend's wedding day was magical. The staff at VSM worked seamlessly with the wedding coordinator to make her day wonderful down to the hasty umbrella disbursement in the middle of the ceremony.

Some notes:
-You do have ocean access from the garden side, but you have to take the stone steps under the road.
-Take care when entering the ocean, there are lots of sea urchins around the ladder.
-Make sure you give the bartender your room number for ease of ordering drinks. He doesn't accept cash, but you can bill to your cabin and pay upon check out.
-There is no beach access at this resort, but they do have reciprocity with another resort for use of their beach.

Enjoy! We had the time of our lives here.

2 Thank ajzmann
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thanks for your thoughtful review it was " Perfect" - The Villas Sur Mer team are so happy that you took the time to write and post one ! It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback ! We love being a part of Villas Sur Mer and as I love to say and "often" at VSM - We love to love our guests and for guests like yourself - all I can say is WOW !

So with all this love floating around in a spectacular location - we love that you loved your stay !
Weddings at Villas Sur Mer are always magical ! It presents a unique opportunity for friends and family who made the trek to Jamaica to share in the wonderful nuptials. Thanks for coming ! Sincere thanks also for your beautiful comments about the property, the ammenities and also the staff : )
Best wishes and we look forward to your return - until then .....

Walk Good

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This place was so relaxing and everyone was incredibly nice and helpful. We felt very safe and secure here and it was very clean, modern decor, and comfy beds. We ordered room service a few times and the food was great. Don't forget to check out the tunnel that goes under the road and opens up to the caves and you can jump in the water if it's calm enough. Just stunning! I would definitely stay here again.
My only complaint it that the platform beds have a very sharp corner that my husband and I kept banging our shins on...other than that, it was perfect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review about your stay here with us at Villas Sur Mer. We appreciate your kind comments so much as we know other travellers will as well. We always welcome guest suggestions on how we can improve and so I am happy to report we have contoured the edges on the beds - so shins are safe : ) Thank you for that.

About the relaxing atmosphere you spoke of - we take pride in offering our guests just that - a serene and comfortable escape and unsurpassed levels of service - put together -a perfect recipe for a Villas Sur Mer vacation. Hope we see you again and again ...till then
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I traveled to Jamaica with my family (4 of us) for spring break. We travel out of the country every year and have been on many trips around the world. I must say this was the BEST trip I have ever taken. When we arrived, all the staff came to greet us with hugs and wanted to know all our names. Everyone was so happy and the staff was amazing. After a week of swimming, snorkeling, tanning, and relaxing, it was time for us to leave. As we gave everyone our final hugs I had tears in my eyes, these people had become part of my family and I will never forget their hospitality. I can't wait to go back because I truly miss and love them. Thank you for everything guys, you will always have a place in my heart! -love Anna

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ahoffman2015
From your family at Villas Sur Mer to we send Sunshine Greetings and Island Love . We miss you guys - your family has left an indellible mark on all of us and we are so happy your world travels brought you to these shores. Thank you for the kind review but most of all thank you for choosing Villas Sur Mer. We would love to do it all over again please : ) We say it all the time but will say again now - here at Villas Sur Mer we get the best guests who make it easy to do what we do . Take care - much love and see you soon - till then...
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed March 1, 2013

So I'm writing this review a little late, as my husband and I stayed last October. But...this place was so fantastic that I've been meaning to write a review ever since. We had a wonderful and super relaxing week thanks to Kimi, Richard, Cliff and Erdley. They are all so kind, helpful, and genuinely nice. They are truly a blessing to the hospitality industry and did everything they could to make our trip perfect. The property is beautiful, and there is nothing better than relaxing in the cave and hopping in to go snorkeling in the beautiful turquoise water. We had the bungalow that sits above the pool, and it was great. We also did not have to share the property with many others as we went during the rainy season. It was the perfect secluded romantic getaway. This was our first trip to Jamaica, but will not be our last!! If your looking for an alternative to the cookie cutter resort vacation this is your place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for posting this review ! We are gratified in knowing you remembered your time here and took the time to let others know. We appreciate the thoughtful sentimentsand hope you will return. We also hope that your husband and yourself will continue to enjoy memories of beautiful villa # 8. We try to make the vibe here at Villas Sur Mer easy going and comfortable and ideally your home away from home - from reading your review - I think we got it right : ) That is always a plus !

Villas Sur Mer does offer a unique vacation experience for travellers wanting to create unforgettable memories and so I agree not your "cookie cutter resort"

So thanks again - take care of each other and know that you always have a great vacation choice here at Villas Sur Mer.
Walk Good
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Villa Sur Mer early February to celebrate a friends 50th birthday and have to say from beginning to end it was a great experience. Kimi, Cliff, Richard and all the staff are amazing and really keen to help and with a smile. The grounds are very clean and it feels like living in a tree house ....lovely pool area, underground cave to the sea, just all round fun for everyone.

During the same trip I also stayed at an "all inclusive" for a couple of days and the experience is like night and day ........I would happily go back to Villa Sur Mer again but doubt I would try the all inc. type place again.

All in all just a great place that has made the effort to hire great people and it shows !

Room Tip: I would say poolside away from the road would be best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thanks for your thoughtful and sweet review !
This birthday party celebration remains a very unforgettable experience for the entire VSM team...it was an awesome weekend ! For the VSM team it presented a really unique opportunity to share in how wonderful your friends really are.

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and your interactions with the staff. We also thought you guys were "fantastic"

I miss them all the time - I really hope they consider maybe coming back for the 51st - BIGGER AND BETTER @ VSM ?

The VSM team enjoyed hosting the entire group so very much and to say we would welcome the opportunity to do it again is an understatement. Again thanks for lovely review and taking the time to post it - hope we see you again-until then ...

Walk Good !!!
Kemilee-Ann Williams
Negril, Jamaica
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We rented the seaside villa for our wedding and it was the perfect choice for our celebration. The villa is even more beautiful in person that in photographs. The rooms are huge so there is plenty of room for a large group. Our guests were blown away by the setting - the cliffs are very dramatic and absolutely breath taking. We had no trouble swimming in the ocean from one of the seaside entries. The water is deep but crystal clear and great for snorkeling.

The staff was fantastic. Kimi was on top of everything and always there to answer any questions or concerns. She wears many hats and can assist with anything from transportation and dinner reservations to wedding planning and decor. She is AMAZING! This goes for the rest of the staff as well. Donna kept the house looking spotless, Bulle cooked some amazing and authentic Jamaican breakfasts for us and Richard jumped in to help with anything that we needed. Thanks also to Cliff (bar) and Marlon & James (security) - all did a great job and had personalities to match!

Friends and family also stayed at some of the other villas which were also beautiful and well-equipped. Each villa that we saw was very clean and decorated tastefully. The lagoon pool and bar area was a very relaxing place to hang out. The rocking lounge chairs were a huge hit!

Our family is eager to return to Villas Sur Mer so we are already discussing our next trip. Thanks for helping us create a beautiful wedding and a very memorable trip - it was a wonderful experience for all of us!

See you guys again very soon!
Kara

1 Thank marvinlb
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a beautiful review. The Villas Sur Mer team is humbled by your thoughtful and kind sentiments. Can I just say what a pleasure it was to host your family and friends for your incredible wedding. Here at VSM we always say how easy things are because we continue to be visited by the best travellers the world over and become during their stay a part of our family ....forever ! So thank you again for allowing us the honour of sharing in your recent nuptials . Sincerest wishes for your long life together to be filled with an awesome happiness and peace ! Lots of love from us to you and thanks again ...until we meet again . Thanks for the shout outs to the staff - I agree we do have quite the team : ) I wait with abated breath to get the mail where we can start to plan your return - your crew knows how to party and we stand ready ! Thanks again - my regards to you and the Mrs. : )

Kimi Williams
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just stayed here last weekend with 3 other couples. I cannot put into words how great it was to meet the staff. Kimmi is one of the most genuine, kindest, helpfull and lovely people I know. Her attention and flexibility to what we were looking to do was spot on, which is difficult to do with 8 people and have a wedding going on at the same time. The rest of the staff was also very helpfull. Mike was our driver and he went above and beyond my expectations. He not only drove us around but became a trusted guide and friend. Richard took care of all our needs on the property, anything we needed he was there with it. William and James thank you for helping us as well, you made us feel like we were at home. I recommend that everyone staying have dinner cooked and served in your villa. Bulle did an amazing job with the lobster, salt fish and jerk chicken and Donna and girls did a great job setting up the villa and serving. The property it self was very nice our villas were very comfortable and quiet. Our whole experience was amazing! Respect and blessings to the staff. Great place!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends