“A hidden Treasure”

Ranked #6 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Dallas
“A hidden Treasure”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Peter Azars has a winner up his sleeve. Tucked away in the high cliffs at west end part of Negril VSM is an amazing and an excellent spot for an unforgettable vacation. This was our first trip to Jamaica and we couldn't have picked a better place than this. Kimmi, Richard and Radcliffe are all the people you need to have a blast. EVERYONE at VSM went above and beyond to make sure we had the best time. Kimmi runs a tight ship and she is available whenever you need her no matter how trivial or important. We came here on our Groupon coupon,and this was the greatest deal we got on there.

The villas are clean, beautifully decorated and very well equipped. They are very carefully planned and each one of them offers a beautiful view. There is a special Honeymoon suite that is situated away from the rest of the villas. We are booking the Seaside villa with 6 BR and attached Baths for a week and we are coming back in a couple of months. This place has view better than Ricks.The cave underground offers amazing views and the jump from there is amazing. No matter how much I write about the service and the place itself I won;t be able to express myself completely and accurately. If you want the best tropical beach vacation, VSM is the place for you. Thank you very much Kimmi, Richard, Jonalee and Cliff for giving us an amazing vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are away from the road, a little more peaceful. Please don't forget Bug Spra...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dinesh D
reggaeboyz1, Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Sincerest thanks for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your Villas Sur Mer experience. We are so happy to hear that we made your vacation experience so special. We look forward to doing it again and again. We all miss you and long for the time when our paths will cross again. Please come back soon ...your Villas Sur Mer family is waiting !

Manager, Villas Sur Mer

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at VSM for twelve days in August 2012. From the moment we got there, the staff helped us happily with everything we needed.The rooms were spacious and equipped with excellent air conditioning, and the kitchen was equipped well enough to accommodate our family. We stayed in cottage number 7, so the pool and bar were right next to us. The grounds are immaculately kept, the pool was wonderful and the view, breath taking. Although my immediate family didn't have a need for the bar we invited over friends so that we could give the wonderful bartender something to do. The manager was such a delight as well as all the other staff members. Security was ever present and made us feel more comfortable. VSM, the best place to stay when in Negril. The only complaint would have to be the lizards,but it's the tropics, what can I say? . Hope to see you guys next year!
The Gweh Family

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dianne m
What a wonderful headline - thanks so much for that - and thank you for deciding to bring your family to Villas Sur Mer - 12 days wow ! what a time was had by all ! Each day as we got to know your family - that was awesome for the VSM team and a true delight. Not to call any names but I can almost see Mr. M in his usual stride to visit the office daily with his unforgettable wit and humour. Your group have left behind unforgettable memories for us all : )
To hear that you enjoyed your villa is an added bonus because #7 is one of my favourites . I hope your plans to return in 2013 are in full gear because we are all very excited to see you all again and even more members of your wonderful family. Until then -
Walk Good
Manager , VSM
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2012

When booking lodging based solely on online reviews I can be a bit skeptical, but VSM far exceeded all of my expectations. The setting is lovely, the accommodations are spacious and comfortable, security is great, and more than anything the service is warm, friendly, and regularly goes above and beyond.

I booked a 1 bedroom cottage (1B) and friends (3 married couples) booked a 3 bedroom house (cottage 3). The living/shared spaces are open air, and all the bedrooms are air conditioned and quite comfortable. Both cottages have kitchens, microwaves, and fridges. Beyond the cottages is a secluded swimming pool set amongst palms and rocks with a waterfall, an enormous hot tub, a staffed bar, and several sunning decks. It could not be a more relaxing atmosphere. Across the road is the truly amazing 6 bedroom villa which has its own pool, bar, sunning decks, and ocean berths for snorkeling and swimming. It was low season and the villa was unoccupied, so the staff was kind enough to let our group use the outdoor spaces there, and the experience was incredible.

I felt very safe the entire length of the trip, as the staff (security and otherwise) ensures that anyone on property is actually meant to be there. Williams and Dane were especially vigilant - though incredibly friendly - and did an amazing job of looking after everyone.

The rest of the staff is just as good and then some. You are made to feel like family the minute you set foot on property. I've worked in 4-star luxury hotels for the last 10 years, and I was still disarmed by the exceptional warmth and friendliness displayed by the VSM team. Our housekeepers Jonalee and Paulette were incredibly sweet and approachable. Kimmie is an outstanding manager who ensured we had both the best possible time, and had everything we needed. She has a den mother quality about her and sincerely cares for her guests. Special commendation goes to Richard who is essentially a concierge and butler in that he can make just about anything happen, and does so with friendly and upbeat demeanor. Transportation, groceries, a trip to the bank - no problem for Richard. I'm not sure he ever slept the duration of our stay, as he always seemed to be on hand to make sure we were enjoying our trip. We all wanted to bring him with us everywhere we went, as with the rest of the staff who - again - will make you feel like family.

My only regret is not wearing more bug spray. This is absolutely no aspersion on VSM - it's the tropics, it's Jamaica, there ARE bugs - but mind your ankles as the mosquitoes can get hungry.

Otherwise VSM is a truly wonderful getaway tucked into what is the slightly rustic, slightly sleepier West End of Negril. Perfect for the somewhat adventurous traveler who craves a genuine local experience but still appreciates creature comforts. Plenty of great spots nearby to eat (Rock House has a top class snapper sandwich, Three Dives has an amazing jerk chicken, LTU Pub is across the street for the basics), or ask Kimmie if you'd like one of the staff to show off some real Jamaican cooking.

Our group cannot wait to return to Negril, and when we do we'll be sure to stay at VSM. I've never wanted to return to a hotel so badly, due in large part to their exceptional staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brian M
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Greetings from the sun kissed cliffs that are home to Villas Sur Mer. Please know first of all how humbled the Villas Sur Mer Team is by your wonderful review. Heartfelt thanks : ) We are truly happy to know that we were able to make your vacation memorable ...It was our absolute pleasure serving you and your friends. We will not soon forget any of you and we wait with abated breath for your return to the Seaside Villa. That experience , I am sure will be even more exciting as we will try even harder to surpass your expectations. On behalf of the entire VSM staff and management team hurry back...your red carpet welcome awaits ....take care of yourselves and each other until we meet again ....WALK GOOD
Kimi Williams, Manager , Villas Sur Mer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I absolutely had an unforgettable stay and wedding here on May 5th, 2012. The seaside villa was the perfect place for my family and friends to reconnect and spend time together at one of the most beautiful seaside spots I have seen. The view from the villa is stunning and is spectacular from the cave as well. The grounds are green and jungle-like and the lagoon pool is amazing. The rooms in the villa and cottages have a great modern zen style and are very comfortable. My only suggestions here is added mosquito nets in the cottages would save guests from bites in the night they'll probably get. The staff were wonderful and looked after us so well. Thank you Kimi for all the help, Bull for the wonderful meals, Cliff, Richard and all staff for making us feel welcome and comfortable.
Don't worry about a restaurant not being on site. There are enough options in the area to explore and a market close by for basic necessities you can cook in your kitchen. I'd recommend Catch A Falling Star Restaurant over LTU as the food and establishment are much nicer for a similar price range. Nonetheless we did enjoy some meals and snacks at LTU. One of the nice things about VSM is you get to interact with the staff and feel like friends by the end of your stay. You also interact with locals around the area which is a nice local experience but try to avoid the guy with shoulder length dreadlocks who hangs out just down the street. He harassed a lot of members of our group regularly (especially at night after he'd been drinking) trying to get money and drinks out of us. When we tried to politely ignore him he would accuse us of being racist. So just firmly ignore him from the start would be my suggestion.
I have traveled extensively and seek out non-touristy options that are intimate and unique and we really hit the money here. This hotel definitely earns all of its 4 stars on many levels. I could not have asked for better service for myself, my husband, my family and friends. I felt like a very special bride and VSM will always have a place in my heart. We hope to see you again soon!! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in and/or saw several of the cottages and they're all great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travelgirl642
Thank you "Special Bride" and your lucky groom for allowing the VSM family to have shared in this special time in your lives. It was for us a truly magical experience to have hosted you, your family and friends. Please know you are forever etched in our memories and we hope you will consider VSM your other "home" Your kind review means so much to us...extending the kind of service you spoke of is always effortless because guests such as your group are so awesome. We wish you a lifetime of happiness in your journey together. We miss you all terribly and hope we are blessed to have our paths cross again...in the meantime ...take care of each other and WALK GOOD !
Kimi Williams, Manager, VSM
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have been to VSM 3 times in the past year, the most recent of which was to get married. Our wedding here was a dream come true. We used Ophellia McKnight as our wedding planner who was amazing and knows the property and the area incredibly well. All of our friends loved their stay at the property and all plan on returning.

Both sides of the property are spectacular (Villa and cottages) but what really sets this place apart is the incredible staff. From the manager to the gardener to the security to the bartender. There is not a person who works here who is not thoughtful, caring, and incredibly attentive to your needs. We are heading back again in a month and can't wait. By the end of your first day you'll feel like you've been there for a week. Get to know the people. Ask them for advice on what to do. Hang with Cliff by the pool and ask him to make his famous punch or dirty bananas.

Each cottage is unique and each has it's own charm and character. Being in the cottages is a great experience as you take in the sounds of the inner island and are still only a couple hundred feet from the water. The property is kept in immaculate condition and is in a great part of town. The folks at LTU (bar/restaurant) across the street are awesome. Great vibe and beautiful views. Make sure to check out the cave as well. This place is a home away from home and we plan to continue going back as often as we possibly can.

Room Tip: Every room is totally different. We are big fans of 5, 6 down, and 7 but they are all awesome. We...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Adam T
reggaeboyz1, Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
"Absolutely Breathtaking" will not do justice to how beautiful the both of you are and to say that you are VSM royalty would be to put it mildly. On behalf of Peter and the VSM team - thank you both you so much for allowing us the honour of being a part of your wedding. The entire week serving your family and friends was awesome and your magical wedding day will never be forgotten. Moreso, to continue to enjoy your company on your return visits...no words can describe. We love you both so much and we wish you an eternity of happiness...VSM will always be your home...looking forward to seeing you soon...Cliff ,Richard, Donna, Shankai, Bull ...everyone...your wishes are our command...until then....

Walk Good !!!
Manager
VSM
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I first encountered Villas Sur Mer in April of 2011 where I stayed with my family in the lagoon cottages. The service was so phenomenal my now husband and I decided to get married there.

This past February I rented a few of the lagoon cottages and the seaside villa for friends and family for our wedding celebration. We spent several days together on the property leading up to our wedding and each one was perfect.

Waking up to a full view of the ocean every morning is beyond perfect.

The manager Kimi is amazing and so helpful, Bull the personal chef is warm and makes some of the best meals I've ever had with fresh ingredients. Richard is there to help with anything you need, Cliff the bartender makes great tropical drinks, Ms. Donna the housekeeper is the sweetest woman, and everyone else from security staff to the gardeners are genuine, nice, hard working people.

Peter the owner is very helpful and responsive and introduced to a wedding planner named Ari (Who was fabulous by the way).

This is top rate service, beautiful homes, and breathtaking views. We spent most of our days eating, drinking, jumping off the cliffs, and swimming in the Carribean while snorkeling or floating on the rafts.

On my wedding day the staff went out of their way to make the day perfect. Kimi brought drinks to make sure I would not get dehydrated, made a special breakfast for us, put together a lunch for all of the wedding party which was not even planned, and went out of their way to help one of my bridesmaids who fell ill.

They made my wedding perfect and along with that we had incredible views, a gorgeous sunset, and an unforgettable experience.

My family and I plan to make this a regular trip. Will go back a hundred times!

Room Tip: The seaside villa is worth it!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BeckaC
Yours was a truly unforgettable Villas Sur Mer Wedding. We are truly grateful that you took the time out to express such kind and heartfelt sentiments about your Villas Sur Mer experience. It was so easy to work with you and your family and friends - all delightful. You remain a true VSM Bride - beautiful inside and out ! I often relay to many potential guests and in particular prospective brides and grooms - the story of how your entire wedding party ended up in the pool eventually - haute couture dresses and suits in tow and that the party stayed there while the dj did his thing. Where are my pictures lady ? It is the norm for the team here to go the extra mile for our guests because that is - quiete simply - the VSM way ! Hearing that it was appreciated - well that is just the best feeling. From all of us , let us start planning the first of your 100 return visits - just drop Peter a line to get the ball rolling ...your VSM homecoming awaits. As I write this - let me just say it is a truly breathtaking day here on the cliffs reminiscent of the postcard one's that led up to your magnificent wedding day. Thanks again for saying such thoughtful things about Villas Sur Mer and the staff here...until your journey together leads you back to place where it started as man and wife .....
Walk Good
Manager , Villas Sur Mer
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed April 23, 2012

What wonderful, attentive, friendly, happy and lovely staff here at Villas Sur Mer! They paid attention to the detail and really wanted our stay to be a happy one....Anything we may have wanted and needed was at our fingertips and we felt very safe and happy. I highly recommend the property - almost across the street from the highly acclaimed Rick's Cafe...pool was lovely and refreshing, hot tub wonderful, it was like our own little jungle and is kept immaculately. One thing I agree with is bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper....just a little noise from the street/LTU pub across the street but we were also there on a long weekend...during the week was great and there was nothing to complain about at all...the caves are accessible on the property by an underground tunnel which was so cool!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Travelgirl1717
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review ! We are so pleased you chose to vacation with us and that you enjoyed the ambience of the property as well as the jungle setting . We are also so very happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel amenities including the lagoon pool and our beautiful underground cave - Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words about our great staff - yes they do go all out in trying to make our guests feel special and we are glad you were able to experience the VSM Love - we cannot wait to have you here again so we can do it all over again until then ...take care of yourselves and each other and make sure to ...
Walk Good : )