“A place I will stay every year”

Negril Escape Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
Palm Beach, Florida
“A place I will stay every year”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I love this place. I try to visit Jamaica once a year and this is the place I always stay. The views are great and relaxing. The atmosphere is wonderful especially for a couples retreat, and the sunsets are spectacular. Just sit by the lighthouse with a drink and watch the sunset with your spouse or kids. That, in itself, is worth the trip for me. In addition to the location, the employees are friendly, accommodating and very helpful. They were able to answer my questions about places to visit and attentive to anything I needed. The food is great and you get a real taste of what Jamaican food is all about. The rooms are nicely furnished and decorated. My fiancée loved the spa treatment. It helped her relax and enjoy the moment. Can’t say it any differently – Negril Escape is a definitely a place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I first stayed at this resort a couple of years ago and fell in love with it from the beginning. Over the years, I have visited Jamaica and this has been my accommodation of choice. All the things that a traveler is searching for when deciding to stay or re-visit a hotel, is all here!

I will first start with the cottages. Each with its own unique theme, roomy and clean! The staff is ALWAYS courteous, pleasant and accommodating. The food?!?! Delicious and AUTHENTIC (especially in comparison to your more commercialized, larger hotels where the food lacks genuine taste). The scenenary is beautiful overlooking the cliffs. I was never brave enough to take the jump from the lighthouse, but one of these days, I just may! :-) The grounds are always clean and gardened nicely. Lastly, the location is prime! There are other restaurants within walking distance, in addition to the famous Rick's Cafe, where the sunset and bands are amazing!!! Negril Escape also has awesome night entertainment if you are lucky enough to stay during the time to catch a show!

All in all, this local resort offers a lot and I have never been disappointed! I will be planning another Jamaica trip later on this year and will surely be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Natasha732
MD, USA
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My family and I booked this hotel for a quick holiday get away. It was a big mistake. The property is located on the cliff side of Negril..lovely view and pretty quiet ...however the place is very obviously not properly maintained. The doors are falling off, the windows were the old louvre with insect screens that are badly torn. Beds were very very hard. I found the rooms to either be extremely dark and scary or just too revealing (with very thin curtains)The pool needed to be repainted...it was stripping and the paint particles would always be floating around in the water. The rooms aren't nice at all n the outside property is in need of attention.
There were a few positives however, ...free wifi around the property and the served a very good tasting full breakfast.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere...this isn't a nice place top stay. I didn't feel safe at all
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank NICOLE H
Rebecca R, Guest Relations Manager at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. We're so sorry about the problems you encountered. Negril Escape has been owned by the same family for decades and we really do care about our guests. We're aware the hotel needs some upgrades, and we have made changes since your stay. We're also offering some of the most competitive rates in Negril. Plus, our location can't be beat. We're close to the best restaurants and bars in Negril. When you consider our great price + location, we actually offer a good deal. Thanks for staying with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

This was a great place! I was in Negril last-minute for work, and I literally popped in to grab a room. Simone at the front desk was amazing during check-in- she went above and beyond- showed me the room and walked me around the grounds (in the rain!) instead of just pointing in a direction like the other hotels. Chris at the restaurant was really friendly and made great chicken fingers, and he even found a charger for my phone. Denroy the security was helpful and also friendly, and helped me figure out the TV.
I am always surprised when people pay a very low price for a hotel and then expect a 4star room. The bed was comfortable, there was a/c, there was a shower and for $100 that's all you require. Have you seen the prices for standard hotels lately? $299 and up. If you're cheap and like to complain, (did someone really complain about the curtains?? really?) then stay home. If you're cheap and want great service from great people and an amazing view of Negril (get out and explore!), then this is a great deal for you. Great for backpackers too. I look forward to going back, and chatting with Simone and Chris and the rest of the super helpful staff. Thanks guys!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Alyssa H
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The location is great! Kevin really made our stay so much better. Awesome Awesome View!. But, for standard comfort, I was made to pay for an upgrade where the toilet did not flush......... at all! The power continue to go out daily. And, most of the food on the menu was not available. The small room they called a Spa was always closed. While I truly feel that I did not get what I paid for, the staff was kind and attentive. Sadly, the lack of operational funds is apparent. It does have potential!

Atlanta Love

Room Tip: Upgrade for standard service.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dimples4233
Thank you for your positive comments about our staff and the great view of the sea from our hotel. We apologize about the power issues. Negril Escape switched to solar power and sometimes we have some challenges with this. Overall, it seems that you had a positive experience with us. Please know we are working hard to give our guests the best possible vacation at the best possible price. Thanks for staying with us!
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend in late March 2014. The staff and the owner/manager were very friendly and helpful, though some of the amenities did need repairs, most notably our AC unit which didn't always work and needed to be worked on repeatedly by the staff. Water pressure was a bit variable as well, so they may want to install pressure tanks on each of the houses. Still, the friendliness of the staff and the beautiful view on the cliffs made it worthwhile and certainly worth the very reasonable price we paid. If I make another trip out to Negril, I'll definitely check out this hotel again.

The biggest downside for us was that a wedding was going on, which meant that Saturday night there was a big party happening which interrupted our relaxing weekend a bit. Still, the music stopped by the time we were ready to sleep, so it wasn't a serious issue.

I've seen a couple of negative reviews of the breakfast, which I can't understand. Our breakfasts were both delicious and very filling, and the coffee was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CTDT_89
Thanks for your honest review. We're glad you had a good experience overall and that you would stay at Negril Escape again. We're sorry there were a few hiccups with your stay. Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Minnesota USA
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Negril Escape Feb. 17 thru Feb. 25. I had read reviews about the water & power issues earlier, and rolled the dice and decided to take a chance. I'm not going to dwell on the previously mentioned issues, as we just dealt with it! We had gotten a fairly good deal on the resort rate, plus the breakfast & beach shuttle were included. We stayed in the Bamboo Ave. building, with a partial view of the ocean. Nice. The room was sufficient. Bed was comfortable. AC worked well. Den-Roy was security. Chris & Andre cooked the great breakfast. I tried all the authentic Jamaican dishes. Loved them! Even had seconds! Callaloo, French toast, salt fish & broadbeans, cheese omelets,bacon, beans& franks etc. great coffee & juices. Sophia & Vanny & Sheldon worked at the bar. The resort has a million dollar view being right on the ocean. You can go swimming or snorkeling right from there. Very relaxing and quiet. Now, why would I want to be at a huge A.I. with a 1,000 people? The resort has a pool, it is nice. Simone & Daniella worked at the front desk. The guys working around the grounds do a great job. Allen, Kevin, Leroy Dion. Our cleaning ladies were Charmaine & Claudette. Thanks ladies! David & Janet, the managers provided us guests with a complimentary buffett supper & drinks one night. Things don't always go right people! David & Janet are trying very hard. The location of the resort is perfect for the west end cliff road {be careful walking, walk facing traffic. Have a small flashlight at night.} The Negril Escape is about a 6 minute walk to Rick's, and I really like the small Jamaican bars & restaurants you have to choose from. All in all, except for the water issues, we had a nice stay at Negril Escape. I hope I didn't forget anyone, but thanks, to the staff again, You were great. Take a chance on Negril Escape. Be adventurous, mon'

Room Tip: We only stayed in the Bamboo Avenue building. Didn't look at any other rooms. We were o.k.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple