“Wedding Reception 11-11-11”

Ranked #11 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Wedding Reception 11-11-11”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

While I did not stay on property so I can't speak of the rooms, etc. I had to write about my AMAZING experience at this property for my wedding reception. I was married on 11-11-11 at the Riu Palace in Negril. I was debating between a private beach dinner at the hotel or a reception on the cliffs- All I can say is I made the BEST DECISION EVER by choosing to do our reception here. Everything about my reception here was A++. I worked with Donald and Natasha and they were both very helpful... The presentation was phenomenal.. Paper lanterns, candles, flowers (floral fantasies), bow wrapped chairs etc... All of our guests couldn't believe their eyes when the place was all lit up at night!! We did lots of extras, steel drum band during cocktail hour, upgraded dinner buffet to include HUGE lobster tails, etc.. which was the best meal lots of our friends/family ever experienced!! The food was ridiculously amazing and we eat out in the states ALOT! I had DJ Gemeni and one of his assistants and they rocked the party! Amazing DJ and thank you to Don/Natasha for referring him to us! The cake was also great! We had a three tiered cake and even got to choose a different flavor for each layer which was awesome... Speaking from a wedding perspective, this place ROCKED and I will be more than happy to answer and questions and send pictures to prospective brides in Negril.. I am telling you after seeing what the beach reception looked like at the Riu versus what I had here, I hands down made the best choice! Hope this helps some!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank CFritchen1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was very dissappointed with the hotel, this is one of the worse hotel i have ever been too, "THE WORSE".The place does not look like the picture online, its very run down, the customer service is terrible, the girls at the front desk doesn't seem to want to try to help you, all they care about was surfing the web, the pool was not well kept the pain was peeling off. The room that we stayed in was very small and dark, very scary, where one does not feel very secure. The manager are not friendly nor do they seem to care about your questions and concerns. The view was nice that about it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank jessica b
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Negril Escape:

We loved our stay here! We are Jamaican but living in the U.S and we wanted a small semi-private hotel for our wedding. We didnt want a million people getting married on at our resort during our wedding weekend. Our wedding was the only one that weekend and we recieved undevided attention from the coordinators and the staff. Our guests both U.S, Canada and Jamaican also enjoyed the Laid back feel of the hotel and the privacy.

The grounds were well maintained and the rooms are very clean. If your expecting 4-star luxury, this is not the place to stay. However, if your looking for a laid back, clean hotel with friendly staff and non-touristy then Negril Escape if for you. You will get a more "jamaican" feel here than if you stay at say a RUI.

Food was good, but very slowwww as everything is made to order. So if your hungry, plan to wait about an hour for food. If you go with that in mind, you wont be dissapointed. lol But the food itself was very tasty.

Wedding:

Our wedding was truly wonderful. I planned this wedding for 1-year and went back and forth with Natasha Wallace (the coordinator) mostly via email and some phone calls. I came to Jamaica with all my decor items and a layout of how i wanted everything and Natasha executed everything Very well. The decor was beautiful and the wedding was very timely and flowed very well which was very important to me.

I would caution you that you may need to have a little patience in email response. I work in the IT industry where everyone responds in an hour. You will not get that in Jamaica, lol. But Negril Escape does deliver overall.

We had the most beautiful day and our guests are already planning a trip back for next year. Natasha advised us to have our reception inside as rain was predicted that day. The inside was set up beautifully and God spared us with a perfect outdoor ceremony on the cliffs by the lighthouse. The wedding was in one world-breathtaking.

I would highly reccomend this resort for a wedding and Natasha Wallace your day of coordinator. We had 65 guests but they accomodate up to 150 guests.

Everyone is still talking about our wedding, the food, the music, the decor that i chose, th whole nine.

It was also super quiet at night. So quiet, my husband and i would sit out on the cliffs, watch the stars and reflect on this place we were about to marry.

We stayed in the Jamrock suite which is spacious and perfect for a bride to get ready.
I would also reccomend Debra Barrett who did my hair for the wedding and Michelle who gave me the most relaxing massage ever before my wedding.

My husband and I will be back next year for my birthday!!! :) :)

Thanks Negril Escape and Special Thanks to Natasha and Donald Wallace. :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DaintyDiva6
Nashville
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our week at Negril Escape. The rooms are small, but clean and adequate. Maid service was great. The restaurant served great food - we were never disappointed. I feel that by staying here we got much more of an experience of Jamaica than we would have in a larger hotel. In fact, my 15-year old daughter visited one of the fancy hotels and while she was impressed, she said it was just like being back in the US - and that's not what we wanted.

The Tuesday night reggae concert was great. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pool is big and clean. Swimming cove is awesome. Plenty of snorkeling and we were very happy with our Scuba lessons and dive.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank tingodmusic
New York
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I have to preface this review by saying that I'm a seasoned traveler that has backpacked through Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Central America and stayed at $3 a night hostels with no problem. SO - I am NOT a picky traveler that gets annoyed easily, and I am certainly not the type of person that wants to stay at big megaresorts either. I have been to Negril before and loved it, but I stayed at the beach last time and thought I could switch it up. After trying to get a reservation at the Rockhouse for my dates and failing, we wound up staying at Negril Escape because it was Jamaican owned and seemed like there were positive reviews on Tripadvisor. I went with some girl friends for a quick vacation, hoping for maximum relaxation.

The price was low for the rooms we booked, but not low enough to warrant the amenities. For Jamaica the rooms at the Escape should be closer priced to $50-60, because the small beach hotel we stayed at last year was around that sum and actually MUCH better. The view at the Escape was nice, but that's as nice as I can say it was. When they say a hotel has 'basics' - you should expect basics, such as a toilet that flushes and sinks that work. For one, there was hardly any water pressure - in the sink and the toilet - which as you can imagine caused some problems -- and by low water pressure I meant that the sink faucet literally dripped water, and that was as much as it went. There were mosquitos in the room due to the fact that some of the windows were slated and would not shut completely. The food at the hotel was ok but overpriced for the amazing options around the road and across from you. Because of these two things we did not try any additional amenities such as the spa or activities, but perhaps they were really great so we can't speak much to that. The staff though seemed to be genuinely nice and cordial, very sweet all smiles.

My biggest complaint about the hotel actually though were the shady characters staying there. I have been to Negril before- and perhaps I didn't notice it because we were younger or perhaps our beach hotel before did not attract this crowd -- and perhaps we were just unlucky with the type of people who also happened to be staying at the hotel with us in February. From the American woman with the young Jamaican man (let's just say they were in the room next door and we could hear EVERYTHING) to the creepy dude staying at the side of the pool all day long talking to some very young local girls, it definitely added an unpleasantness to the trip and would make me hesitant to recommend this hotel to even budget travelers looking for a a relaxed time. I know that unfortunately this is a sad reality for any country with tourism as its primary revenue and a reason as to why some tourists go there, but I'd rather not be staying at a place where it was so apparent. It's a sad reality to confront on vacation, and gives a sleazy feel to your vacation experience that is hard to shake off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank JJS1986
Cobble Hill, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I am a single parent. I just returned from Negril Escape on Jan 29, 2011. I went there with my two daughters, aged 14 and 20. It was a great holiday for all of us. Negril Escape is a medium sized, family run hotel. They were very hospitable to us and by the time we left, we felt like one of their family.

Who would enjoy Negril Escape? Well if you are a diver, there is wonderful diving with a fabulous reef just off the shore. They run dive courses and have a new dive master from the US. They provide great diving to visitors from all over the world.

If you are at all nervous or shy, the staff at the hotel can help you plan great days, tell you where the best restaurants are, and really ensure that you are well looked after and are having a great time in Jamaica.

We got to know the gardener, who was so proud of his garden and told me all about his flowers and plants, the cook who made us special omlettes every morning, the bar staff, especially Sophia, who knew me and my children by name and would call out welcomes when ever she saw us. We got to know the hotel owners who are hard working, very nice Jamaican people, and even the security guard who told me where on the property my children were....what more could anyone want?

This hotel is not a posh or sterile. It is real and friendly. Yes, I would recommend it. Go with an open heart and mind. Realize that Jamaica is a third world country, and it is hard for the people there. Do not expect ridiculous North American standards...but expect warmth and real....thats what you will get in this hotel, and in Negril Beach.

Enjoy Jamaica mon....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CountryJane
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is a family owned business and with that, comes all the personal attention we could ask for. The owner's son picked us up at the airport and gave us important information about the culture and history of Negril. He made it very clear, anything we wanted - "no problem mon". The owners and staff were very accommodating in every way. We didn't want a large, commercial, touristy hotel. The rooms were simple and clean. Who wants to be in the room anyway? For those who want to dive, certification and diving was flexible and always professional. Due to weather, all our dives were not possible but the Dive Center was very accommodating. The weekly reggae series sponsored by the resort is the best. Highly recommend Negril Escape if you want a relaxed, non-commercial, island-like experience. We miss all our new friends at Negril Escape and can't wait to return. (Patty Hull and Peggy Trevino)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends