“a quiet gem”

Ranked #32 of 81 Hotels in Negril
waynesburg
“a quiet gem”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We recently stayed at this small charming hotel in West Negril. When we first arrived I was not happy with the room so I went down to the office and spoke with Jhoenea and the next day she moved us to room 14. What a gorgeous room! Every single person that worked there was great! Dane and Jermaine drove us all over Negril, showing us their favorites places and making us feel safe. We travel a lot and for the first time we hugged everyone goodbye when we left. They really made us feel like family. The hotel is small and quiet and has beautiful views. I would highly recommend booking a suite..well worth the extra money. The staff at this hotel, especially Jhoenea, Dane, Jermaine, Kimberly and the staff at the restaurant will go out of their way for you. Truly a nice place..highly recommended!

Room Tip: a suite in the main building...14 was the nicest
1 Thank shar514

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My 9 year old son and I recently got back from a 5 night stay at the Westender. It was my first time in Jamaica, though I've traveled extensively. I really enjoyed the trip, and this hotel in particular. It's out of the way, so if you're looking for being in the center of things, it's not the spot for you. My son probably would have preferred a place like Beaches, where there are other kids. But, for me, this was just the perfect place. It's not a huge, cookie cutter resort. It's an intimate, personal, quiet spot with beautiful scenery, well kept grounds, and a very accommodating staff. I would wake up in the AM and spend several blissful hours reading my book in the hammock, listening to the waves crash on the cliffs, sipping my coffee, and peaking out at that multihued blue caribbean water just feet away from the veranda. Heaven. We took the hotel's van into town and back every day. Jermaine was wonderful. The only problems we had were when we'd get in local taxis because we were already in town, and then we'd get ripped off or jerked around. Watch out for this, and get Jermaine's advice! I'd love to come back to the Westender. Next time, on a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: We stayed a few nights in Room 4, which is small but has THE BEST VIEW. You have the ocean to the f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just returned home after a thoroughly enjoyable week at the Westender Inn and feel compelled to write a positive review based upon our experience.
My wife and I were looking for a quiet place with natural beauty where we could escape from a particularly harsh Midwest winter to relax and let the warmth of the Caribbean rejuvenate our souls. The Westender Inn fulfilled our requirements perfectly and we are now back in our winter wonderland thinking we must do the same thing again next year.
Our arrival to the Inn was a little unsettling at first as it feels like it's out in the boonies and possibly too far from the popular cliff hotels. After passing the famous Rick's Café, the tourist area sort of finishes and there isn't much development for the next few miles other than a few private homes and some unfinished properties by the roadside. We had to maneuver around some cows grazing on the road on the final approach to the Inn but don't let this put you off. This is a buffer zone that works to your advantage as there isn't much traffic down in this part of Negril and we enjoyed the tranquility that comes from the slightly more remote location.
My wife and I stayed in room 3 which has an ocean view and is only a stone's throw from the water so you get the wonderful sound of the waves breaking on the reef through the night. The room is clean and adequately furnished with a hammock on the patio/balcony which is a great place to sit and chill out, read a book or chat and drink with the couple in room 4 as we did.
Fortunately we got on tremendously with our new friends next door who had chosen the Westender for much the same reasons that we had. We compared notes whenever paths crossed and there was always an opportunity for exchange of information over breakfast or an evening sundowner.
We concluded that some visitors may be disappointed if they are expecting a Marriot type of experience as this is not what the Westender is about. Find an alternative hotel if TV and room service facilities are your pre requisites. Our small tv was only ever switched on to see if the brutal weather in the U.S. had improved enough for our flights to leave on time.
Stay at the Westender for the things that we enjoyed such as taking a swim before breakfast in a beautiful pool that seems hardly used, reading a book on one of the handful of available sunbeds by the beach, snorkeling along the reef outside our room and seeing stingrays, puffer and lion fish, watching the sun go down whilst sitting in the saltwater pool as the waves break below, enjoying the bonfire under a beautiful starry sky and best of all, being made to feel welcome by the wonderful staff that really want you to enjoy your stay.
Such wonderful smiles from all of them whenever you need anything makes it all feel very personal and certainly memorable.
Paul and Alison

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
Chicago
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We just returned last night and I was eager to read the reviews since I hadn't done so before we left. As deeply as we fell in love with everything Westender...and wish the staff and owner much success...I almost don't want to tell the world how perfect it is!!

There is NOT one thing to complain about at this sweet, secluded home in the hills.

I can't help but be defensive about the 'tv service'...who comes to Jamaica to watch television?!! The tv actually looked out of place in the room with the Caribbean behind it!

We stayed in Room 4: oceanfront, private balcony, splashing waves. We lucked into one of the most requested rooms!

Our neighbors/friends-for-life-now were exactly what we wanted: just as amazed and grateful for the positive and warm energy of the staff, the sights, sounds and smells.

This gem is not for everyone and please read the reviews and make your choice wisely.

The Westender Inn is for those who value the authentic beauty of Jamaica, its kind people and its 'everything is good' mentality. The country has many riches that aren't obvious to all.

Please don't visit if you're looking for your house with its American amenities magically plopped onto Oceanside property.

Come to The Westender Inn for peace, paradise, smiling people, fresh food, hot sun, clear water, and a staff that's 'family'.

When we got 'stuck' down the cliffs closer to 'reality', no matter the time, Jermaine or Kemar was there, in a call, with the van to 'rescue' us.

We asked how late they pick up guests.

"When everyone is home,".

THAT is genuine service and you can't put a price on REAL.

I could write forever about the Inn, but we want to keep it in our hearts.

Go with respect, please!

Maira and Stephen Fernandez

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maira D
Brookeville, Maryland
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Westender inn is great place to escape get away from all the fast life of Jamaica. Its private and quiet. Staff was nice the property and rooms were beautiful and fair priced. Drivers available so the location is no inconvenience. I'll def stay there next time I return to Jamaica

Room Tip: The price is right on the cabins but you get what you pay for for the ocean front verandas 2 steps a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ian R
DeBary, Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We arrived on a Friday (2/7/14) for a quick 4 day jaunt. We were located in room 24, across the street from the view of the beach.
The Room itself has TREMENDOUS potential here.
Large bedroom with King, the living room again large with 2 small balconies (the Bedroom had one). Drop a little money into fixing up some of the wood, lighting a little here and there and it is a bargain. Wouldn't take much to accomplish this.
Now the issues, and to us arriving were big and we almost left to go someplace else, First of all its pouring out so your pretty much stuck inside. So go to turn on the TV... where is the remote? OK skip the remote turn on this 90's version CRT flat screen manually, huh?
Snow?
Is the TV out?
We go to call the front desk about (this immediately after check in, as we heard another person having TV issues) but problem again.
NO PHONE ANYWHERE!
I investigate the TV issue a bit so I don't have to make more than one trip in the pouring rain across the st. to the office. BIG issue here, TV is plugged in for power but absolutely NOTHING is plugged in at all for input. No Cable, no direct TV NOTHING all hook-ups where never there to begin with. Well my wife DID want to see the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Olympics but she will now wait another 4 years to do so. (we would have gone to the bar, but their TV was never on too). We were told the same excuse as I saw someone else say, lightning storm TV's almost all fixed, no not the case here the cable box DIDN'T exist period.

LOVED the ceilings, all wood, much wood all around just needs some TLC. LOVED the Shower, and the many Balconies, but it was raining sideways so had to keep them closed most of the night too.

Meanwhile my wife is trying to put away some groceries drinks and the refrigerator is unplugged, great we have to wait for that to power up and get cold, that SHOULD have been done ahead of us arriving no question. We see there is no coffee pot or anything like that in the kitchenette. The Blender, well the base is there no top.
We kind of stopped looking after we saw we had nothing more than 1 bar soap a towel each for bathroom utilities.
No shampoo, conditioner or lotion and certainly no blow dryer.
The Shower itself was HUGE!!! Such a waste when you nickle and dime like that, people remember the bad more than the good. Give me a few $1000 and I could make this room look PRIMO!
I had asked for the manager immediately when I went across the street, I was told he would be in around supper time (it was 5:50PM), we never heard from him saw him and we finally fell asleep about 10PM. We were also told no rooms we could move to at all, totally booked, hearing this I was leaving early to check other places as this would not do especially with what we were paying for this. There were a couple of places we had stayed up the street and liked. Oh one thing if you want remote, in the middle of no where THIS IS IT! It is over a 2 mile drive off the main strip to get here, watch out for cows, the sleep in the road at night and have NO intention of "moo"ving at all. No lights on virtually any streets so you have to be alert and the road can narrow down to ONE lane too.

The next morning again across the street after breakfast (which when you book the breakfast plan, does NOT come with breakfast), after saying what happened I saw the Manager and we would be transferred to another room later that day, 2 PM comes around not yet, 4PM not yet around 6 were able to move. So basically day one, other than just hang at the pool is gone and we are out $29 for a breakfast for 2 we thought was included, Only Pancakes, bacon for me and coffee, my wife an omelet, coffee and a slice of bread. $29 w/o tip, a little steep and worse when you expect it coming with.
Now to Room 15, the middle of of rooms top floor with a beach view. Very nice view, we had access to the other to balconies left and right but would feel weird going on what should be their balcony. Our room just the sliders opened no balcony at all. That's OK, we had a far more modern room here, smaller than our last room but fine none the less, here again TV issues, BUT at least we saw something for Direct TV going into the box, they had a guy there within the hour to fix it, and it 2 minutes we were up and running. OK NOW we can start the mini vacation, everything else is working, no blow dryer again as it is on request at the office. PLEASE spend the extra $15/unit on it no excuse for that. This shower (not as nice as the HUGE one, standard size) had the modern Shampoo/Conditioner and Body gel(that one empty) on the wall. You would never think the 2 rooms were in the same resort. No issues after that EVEN had a running Fridge, and had ICE MAKERS!
Bonus! (nothing in the other one at all).
I would suggest one thing, have a TV in the bedroom as well they are cheap enough today for a 32" ($200, heck I got one on Black Friday for $98), buy in bulk and you get discounts!
The resort grounds, they were fine, the BIG Pool was what is expected, the Salt Pool was a tad cold but when it warmed up could be fun with waves crashing over into it, We had the run of the place to ourselves Sunday and Monday, for a place they said was sold out first night I never saw a person next to us in room 15.

Bottom line I would give this place a little time, I KNOW they read the reviews here and may I suggest just a few things, once these are done your place could THRIVE!

Never send a customer to a room or book a room that is not even remotely what is advertised, (i.e. room 24)
1.) Flat screen TV to everyone is LCD or LED not CRT. Yes it was in the room and there but no hook-ups. This was a definite known issue going on here.
2.) Turn on the Fridge to be working properly upon guest arrival.
3.) Make sure EVERYTHING is working and there.
4.) Spend a little money on room 24, this could be considered a GEM of a unit it was HUGE! (Guessing close to a 1000 sq. ft!)
5.) 2 TV's in every room, that is normal today
6.) Coffee makers, a must, even the WORST rooms have that.
7.) If you don't want people to use the stove and cook, fine remove it, better that than be missing most things you would need to prep a meal or a drink. You either do it right or don't at all. (They had mentioned they were phasing it out)
8.) Don't give the impression breakfast was to be included then hit you with a bill after, that was not right. Mind you they said they were comping the breakfast days (1 & 2) for what we went through, upon check out they did only one.
9.) I cant say it enough invest a little into some TLC in those rooms, you are NOT far from something special, the charm of the room is there but things should not look worn out or missing
The Lady at the Front Desk was very pleasant, staff at the bar/restaurant same as well. No complaints with the staff at all. Very friendly too.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach side, modern till the fix the bigger rooms. I would also ask about the issues abo...
2 Thank rforsyth
Westie_Negril, General Manager at Westender Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the Westender Inn. We are very pleased with all the positive Tripadvisor comments we received over the years and we work hard to ensure all our guests are just as satisfied. We recently renovated 90% of our rooms, upgraded 100% of linen, landscape, bar/restaurant staff, website and the overall hotel appearance. We plan to complete upgrade to other 10% of rooms in the off season (May – October, 2014).

With regards to TV, we use DirecTV service and at the time you arrive, it was raining and very cloudy. Therefore, all TVs/satellite service was out due to the heavy rain and cloud cover. The fridge and coffee maker in your room should have been plugged in prior to your arrival and this oversight was addressed with housekeeping.

I did get a chance to speak with you early the next morning and you were given a complementary upgrade to our sea side Dolphin suite where you stayed for the balance of your time at Westender Inn. I remember following up with you after you moved and you were very pleased with the upgrade.

Thanks again for your review and I sincerely hope you will come again
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We were married in a 5 star all inclusive week one and decided that week two would be a different experience.
We found The Westender after looking on trip advisor for B&B's in Negril. I loved the reviews and photos I saw... So why not go?!

The first drive out there made us wonder....... How far out is this place?? When we arrived it was a small shock from what we just came from, but we settled in quite quickly! Dane picked us up from the airport and was great at pointing out some spots along our drive.

We found the spot that was away from the buzz of everything, it's small, intimate and cozy! It's easy to get to know the other guests and staff. Some guests have been coming here forever!! Between the rooms by the cliffs and the cabins across the road.... stay weeks or months! Watch the sunset from your patio, the salt water pool on the cliff or the chairs they have around.

We stayed in room 3, beautiful view and listening to the waves crash against the cliff at night while laying in bed..... SO relaxing! The room is basic, but clean and functioning. Only one evening was loud due to the Sunday night bonfire parties, they use the cliff side bar that evening. Room 3 & 4 are facing it.
If you think you want some snacks ask for a fridge and ask Jermaine to take you to the supermarket! Jermaine was fabulous, he drives the shuttle... so to/from outings on the beach, the craft market, dinner... whatever! Ask him where to get the GOOD jerk pork. ;)

Both Renee and Jhoenea work in the office and were extremely friendly and helpful. If you want to do some tours, they have lots of suggestions... to the good spots!

We met so many wonderful people at this little gem! Loved seeing and visiting Kemar, Terry, Paulette, and Sheldon in the restaurant breakfast/lunch/dinner or drinks, Rase the cook.... we were happy with everything made for us, and the family they make you feel apart of is amazing. Thanks for my bracelets San! We even had the opportunity to meet the owners and family, very cool people!
My new husband and I were really sad to leave. We figure the only reason to come home was our puppy haha!!

We've already been discussing returning....... for longer OF COURSE!!

Sorry if we missed anyone/anything!!

1 Thank Sheila K