“Truly a romantic getaway!”
Review of Westender Inn

Westender Inn
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Stockton, California
“Truly a romantic getaway!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed for 7nights during February using Living Social deal. Great value for the money!
Our first visit to Jamaica for our 10yr wedding anniversary with the intent of finding a place that is quiet, romantic and away from the busy and loud areas...was exactly what we found in Westender Inn! Include the awesome service of the staff such as Renee, Ulie and Germaine made our stay that much more memorable. Thank you guys!
For those looking for a place close to the beach and where all the action is, Westender Inn may not be the place for you, as it is about a 20 minute ride from the Deep West End (where its located) to the beach or into town. Otherwise, we loved our stay there and we also went into town and the beach nearly everyday as we didnt mind going all over the place during the day.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Pembroke, Ontario
Reviewed March 9, 2013

All we can say is we love everyone at the Westender so very much. This is our 3rd year in a row at the Westender, staying 15 days each time. If you really want to relax and get away from it all with all of the amenities you desire at your fingertips this is the place for you. The staff are incredible and take care of everything for you, just ask. We saw dolphins from our balcony twice and I had the privilege of seeing a huge sting ray jump right out of the ocean. The sunsets are to die for. We enjoyed watching the fishermen spear and net fish and watched several different types of vessels pass by. The sea pool and main salt water pool are beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in the Almond and Cactus suites. Just beautiful! The shuttle mainly driven by Germaine is our lifeline. He'll transport you to grocery stores, restaurants or the beach whenever you want and also comes to check that you are ok if he thinks you're taking a little too long. Everyone on staff are so friendly and caring. I know everyone by name but there are too many to list. They all do a fantastic job from the chamber maids, landscape maintenance crew, cooks at Westies, security guards and drivers. Nelson transported us from and to the airport and graciously invited us to spend a day with his beautiful wife Viviane and son Dominique at their home. Viviane made us a delicious Jamaican meal and Nelson toured us around his property teaching us about all of the local plants and trees and their uses. A day we will never forget. We ate at a variety of places: LTU, Ciao, Chicken Lavish, Sweet Spice, The Red Dragon, Presley's and of course Westies. All of the food was awesome! Westies is every bit as good as any of the places we've eaten. Sunday night bonfire, seaside is so nice. The buffet was excellent and it gave you the chance to meet the manager, Keith and several guests. We went to Seven Mile once but the water was too rough that day and we felt we could do without the peddlers and crowds so had Germaine pick us up after only an hour. Glad to get back home to the Westender. I went to Jackies on the reef for a hot bamboo massage, an hour and a half of pure pleasure! I dare you to find a better massage anywhere!
Check out Mayfield and Ys Falls, Floyd's Pelican Bar and Seastar buffet and show Saturday nights.
There was a little confusion with our bill but it was easily resolved. Just keep track, I'm sure it is not intended. No problem! The weather in Jamaica never let's us down, the people are very, very poor but beautiful. These are the only trips we've taken that when we arrive at the airport I think, we're almost home and the only place that I NEVER want to leave and always shed tears when the time gets near. We never feel this way when leaving an all inclusive resort and we've been to many. Tough to beat the location, amenities, service and food for the price anywhere.
Cheers to all of our Jamaican friends and hope to see you all again next year.

7 Thank Reliabull
Chico, California
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The location is Fantastic I will certainly be back second floor Oceanside sweet and Jackies on the Reef make the Westender the most relaxing hotel on the most relaxed Island in the Caribbean. This place has earned ever great review here its a little out of the way but they have a car service to and from anywhere anytime.

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Westender for 6 days in February and loved it! The location of the hotel is perfect, a blend of rural quiet country yet the hustle & bustle of the cliffs & the beach are a 15 min car ride away. The shuttle is a great service to have and when that stops running the hotel gives you a # for a driver to call. Germaine is the shuttle driver and he is available to do errands for you so this was a huge plus! Transportation was our biggest concern going down as this is not within walking distance to much really but it wasn't an issue at all. The Westender is in a very pretty part of the cliffs area and we have been to Negril many times and I can honestly say I love this location the best.

We stayed in the Cactus Suite (#16 upstairs) which is very private and is right beside Jackie's on the Reef next door. They offer morning yoga classes which regrettably I never got to! There was never anyone at the property next door so this was a great room. Comfortable amenities in the suite although no blender which I think is important to have. There is a coffee maker, microwave, toaster oven & fridge. Renee at the front desk is a sweetie and she was very helpful and courteous. No issues to report here, I loved this place and believe me we are very picky travellers! The rooms are clean and beds are comfy. We ordered breakfast a few times and it was delivered to our room, nice to have breakfast overlooking the ocean. We had the windows open at night and listened to the waves crashing. Every morning we'd take the shuttle to the beach, hang out there til around 3, catch the shuttle back (pre-arranged or we'd call Germaine to pick us up), we'd stop at 3 Dives for jerk take out and enjoy that at sunset. There is no loud pumping music up at this end of the cliffs which is ever present in Negril everywhere so this was the perfect place to chill, even the bar/restaurant closes at 8. Not to worry though, arrange with the taxi driver to pick you up or take the last shuttle to town at 8 and get a cab back, there really are no issues here in my opinion.

Room Tip: lower floors are not as private as people would be walking by, but even with a full house there are...
toronto, canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Negril for a month in January staying at The Seastar. We had seen the outstanding show there three times, this visit and wanted to check-out for our last Saturday night, for some quiet time.
We booked through Expedia for a Garden View room, and thought we would be on the ocean side of the property, and were disappointed to find out that we would be across the road (our own fault for not checking out the terms more thoroughly). When we expressed our disappointment to the guest service lady, who was checking us in, she immediately checked her computer and moved us to a gorgeous ocean view room. It had a huge balcony and the room was also very big, bright and fresh. The restaurant is across the street from the water, but the food is excellent. There is a great little plunge pool built into the side of the rocks where you can sit and watch the sun set. In the morning they have fresh pots of delicious hot coffee that we took back to our terrace and watched the ocean.
The property is very quiet, and deep in the West -end, it has a great vibe, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a place to chill in The West end.

Room Tip: Understand that garden view is on the other side of the road, but there is a beautiful pool on that...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrss2006
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was my ninth trip to Jamaica (but only third to the Negril area). I chose the Westender due to its high rating here on TripAdvisor and because of a recent Living Social deal. While I probably won't stay here again (ONLY because I rarely stay at the same place twice), I DO recommend it to anyone.

Grounds
The grounds here are lovely! All of the foliage was neatly trimmed/manicured. There were a sufficient amount of comfortable lounge chairs and plenty of other neat seating areas to sit and enjoy the views of the water. I was surprised that the sand area wasn't tidied up nightly. I accidentally left two Red Stripe bottles and a banana peel near my lounger one day and it was all still there the next day. Yes, it's my responsibility to clean up after myself (which I did as soon as I noticed the mess the next morning), but normally hotels/resorts in Jamaica are known for tidy beach areas. I didn't spend any time at the pool (which is across the street), but I did spend time at the fresh water pool that's tucked into the rocks. It's a lovely way to get even closer to the ocean. I even watched an employee (Jose - great guy) drain it, clean it, and fill it again. There's a bar area near the water, but it was only used during the Sunday bonfire (very cool!). Although the occupancy rate was very low while I was there, I wish they would've opened that water-side bar for the rest of the nights. I didn't feel like going across the street to the bar attached to the restaurant at night.

Rooms
Most of the rooms on the ocean side had a view of the water. I had to stay in Room 11 my first night; while comfortable, it had a view of the neighboring property's fence. But I then moved to Room 6 and loved it. It only had a queen sized bed while most of the rooms on the ground floor level had a king sized bed. I was a solo traveller, so the bed was fine for me. It was actually quite comfortable! The shower pressure in Room 11 wasn't very good, but it was perfect in Room 6.

Staff
I met the manager - Keith - several times. He was approachable and friendly. I appreciate his prompt responses to my many emails as I was considering purchasing the Living Social Deal. The shuttle driver - Jermaine - was professional and caring; he went above and beyond to make trips into town a positive experience. Jose (maintenance) and Kyneshia and Kemar in the restaurant were all friendly and pleasant. The chefs and housekeeping staff were also very pleasant. The night-time security guard (Raymond, maybe) made me feel even more secure than what I already felt. Although she wasn't an official staff member - Tara comes in to do massages and she was wonderful! Definitely book her!

So while I'm raving about the property, I chose to give it 4 rather than 5 stars. This was because of the Living Social deal. Two major things caused me to take away a star. The Living Social deal clearly stated that taxes would need to be paid on site - no problem, mon. So when I go to check in, the office employee hands me an invoice and told me the amount of taxes I had to pay right then and there (the amount wasn't a surprise, Keith told me in advance what it would be). Now I've stayed in dozens of hotels before and have never recalled having to settle my bill at the START of my stay. Again, no problem - I paid the taxes and received the key to my room and was on my way. But when I went to go check out 5 days later, the office employee (luckily the same one) asked me for the amount in taxes again! Huh? I couldn't believe that my account in the computer didn't show I paid 5 days prior. Luckily I paid in a unique way (a combination of Jamaican dollars and US dollars), so I was able to jog her memory. But I shudder to think what would have happened if, a) she didn't remember me paying, or b) another office employee would've been working that day (I saw a total of two of them working in the office while I was there). Simple errors like this should not happen.

Also, another couple with the most recent Living Social deal checked in a day before me. That couple and I decided to take the included 'Guided Tour' of the Blue Hole Mineral Springs together. I read the TripAdvisor reviews of the place before the trip, so I knew there is an entry fee. However, I wasn't with the couple when they made the final arrangements for the 3 of us to go. Unbeknownst to me, an office employee told them there wasn't an entry fee. So we get there and of course..it's $10/person to "use the facilities" (pool, lounge chairs, etc.). By that time, Jermaine (shuttle driver) already left. We used someone's phone to call the Westender and told them to send money with Jermaine when he came back later to get us. Whomever answered said the Living Social deal said it only included TRANSPORTATION to Blue Hole. I wasn't playing a semantics game and said it clearly stated "Guided Tour". They agreed and sent money with Jermaine. I'll give the Westender the benefit of the doubt - maybe they truly didn't know there's a charge for the Blue Hole. But that's something that should've been confirmed before including the excursion in the deal.

One other 'shady' part of the Living Social deal - although the deal is for 2 people, only ONE massage is included. That didn't affect me, but the couple that was also there with the deal was surprised by this fact. The voucher did say "A" massage, but since the voucher also stated it was for "two people", it was slightly misleading.

None of those things soured my trip in even the slightest way. But, if you're going to run a special like this, you need to go through each component and make sure everyone is clear on the specifics.

Like I said before, I'd still recommend the Westender to anyone. If you read the reviews on here, you'll know that it's impossible to walk ANYWHERE from here. That wasn't a problem for me. I specifically wanted to be away from the hustle and bustle of Negril, but yet close enough to get there when I needed to. I left relaxed and thankful for 5 days in paradise!

Thank you, Westender!

Room Tip: Room 11 had NO view, but was still comfortable (but the shower's pressure was low). Rooms 6 and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank zeephi04
mt pleasant
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have been to Jamaica a few times and this is the 2nd time we stayed at the Westender, As always the drivers and the wait staff were all amazing, they went above and beyond to make your stay great, but beware of the office staff, booking your trip might be easy and you would think good, BEWARE! all of sudden at the end of your stay they add on all the extras you would not be told about or expecting,they charge 160.00 us Dollars for them to pick you up at the airport and then raise the price of your room to suit there needs, we were very disappointed in the office staff this year, i think the owner Dan should look at his management and do a better job of getting experienced people in there, and also some of the upper management treat there drivers and staff very bad and right in front of customers, now were rethinking our stay for next year, so sad Westender!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cathy r
Westie_Negril, General Manager at Westender Inn, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
I agree with you, the Westender Inn staff are doing an excellent job with guest service, local transportation, bar/restaurant and other areas. We consistently maintain a high quality product (98.7% approval rating) in a clean, safe and friendly environment and want all our first time and repeat guests to leave with an outstanding experience.

I am disappointed there was misunderstanding with regards to airport transportation cost but please see our website and note transportation page. The cost is $40 per person x 2 people minimum = $80 x two ways = 160 for guest staying less than 10 nights.

Two years ago, we provided free transportation for guest staying 7 nights or more. However, increase in gas price (5.70 per gallon in Jamaica) and 40% increase electric bills resulted in a change in our policy to free transportation for guest staying 10 nights or more. I am glad we had a chance to talk and clarify this issue before you left.

In terms of communication between managers and staff, 90% staff and managers live at the hotel so we are like a big family here. I directed managers and staff to be mindful of their communication volume while on property.

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely hope you will come again.

Keith D. Duhaney