“The only place you should stay in Negril.”

and 1 more site!
Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Reasonably priced. Our only complaint was the room by the gate. We had trouble sleeping there. The food was not worth the money. We enjoying eating everywhere else especially Ras Rody's and Rock house cafe. If you want tasty food any hut on the side of the road will do the job. We loved the staff, Carol, Kevin etc...

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nicknemilie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed March 10, 2010

The other reviews accurately extol the many virtues of Catcha as a quiet and comfortable retreat in Negril's West End, but nobody has mentioned how extraordinary this place is for anybody interested in nature. The garden is stunningly attractive- not only for the guests, but also for an extraordinary array of birds who invite themselves. These include two spectacular entries- Jamaica's national bird, the doctorbird (one of the world's most beautiful hummingbirds, and that is saying something), and the yellow-billed parrot. This large parrot is a rare and endangered species due to habitat destruction and the illegal pet trade. Catcha's "habitat creation" program has given several of this beautiful and entertaining creature home. Just offshore, with the aid of Ken Brown from the local dive shop, are several lovely shore dives feature giant stingray, bottlenose dolphin, scenic cliff and cave habitats, and innumerable macrophotography subjects. The nearby Royal Palm Reserve is a mini-everglades with unique, world-class wildlife habitat and rare birds easily spotted here. Nature may not be the top agenda item on most vacationer's lists, but it sure isn't a bad garnish! And if it is your main interest, you can not do better in western Jamaica than Catcha Falling Star.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank leskaufman
Reviewed February 21, 2010

This review is a little late....but better late than never.

My husband and I stayed at CFS from May 31-June 4, 2008. First I want to say the entire staff was very nice. I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

We fell in love with Carol who went above and beyond her call of duty. My husband became very sick the day after we arrived. He was bedridden for two days. She constantly checked on us, making sure we had things he may need or trying to find different remedies to help out with his "tummy illness". She was an angel.

We enjoyed the view from our cottage which was Rick's Cafe. Where else can you listen to live Reggae music nightly and dance under the stars on your own front porch?

All-in-all, we had a great time. The food was great and extremely friendly people. I would highly recommend "Catcha"........good times!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tnblueeyes_10
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Over the years, I have stayed at several all/inclusive resorts in Negril but none has ever come close to having the level of customer service that is exhibited by the staff at Catcha Falling Star. Every employee that we encountered whether they worked at the gate, in the front office, bar, housekeeping or Ivan's Restaurant made us feel special. The views of the sea and the magnificient sunsets were romantic. Food at Ivan's was delicious and the atmosphere in the bar was cozy. Having a massage from Oya, the massage therapist, on our patio, while listening to the sounds of the sea was so relaxing. As I was searching for a more intimate experience, I found what I was looking for at Catcha. No more all-inclusives for me. In fact, I have made another reservation for next year and am anxiously counting the days until my next visit.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank shlchristensen
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Jamacian Intimate ...best describes your experience at Catcha. This is a place to totally achieve total relaxation. A beautiful secure cliff top grounds with celestial cottages, and luxury suites. Outstanding meals from Breakfast to Dinner are presented by staff who know you by name, and go out of their way to make your stay a happy one.
We stayed in Saggitaruius. The experience on sleeping in this multisided slanted window screen room perched on cliffs usually provided a romantic breeze accompanied by the sound of crashing waves to lull you to sleep. Music waifs over from Rick's Cafe, and from Banana Shout Hotel ( which also provides a wide range of scenic entertainment from time to time), but all is quiet except for the ocean after 10pm.
Wonderful aroma from the Kitchen Cabin combined with the gentle ring of the order bell remind you that great food is only steps away. Room service on your personal balcony? -No Problem!
Lots of intimate areas on the cliffs to relax between swims in the cove, or the beaufiful little pool - all with spectacular views.
Susan and her team go the extra mile for you. That is what really makes Catcha special.
If you have been to Jamaica before, prefer life in a cliff top garden to Beach Resort, enjoy having all ammenities always steps from your room, dining under the stars, a friendly cocktail specialty in Ivan's Bar, an uncrowed attmosphere, ( even though all the rooms are sold out, you almost feel it is your own private resort).then Catcha Falling Star is place for you. We loved it so much, we booked for our next visit prior to our departure. Something to really look forward to!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank IrieTraveller
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We traveled to Negril just two months after giving birth to our baby girl. What a magical place to unwind after what seemed like 12 months of pregnancy. My fiance, mom, dad, brother and I were blown away by not only the magical views, but the hospitality of the people @ Catcha. They are now our extended family and they adored our baby girl. Whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted it...they catered to our family. You will NOT find a friendlier staff. Catcha is the best hotel on the Westend. Even locals didn't know where Catcha was, very exclusive. I am counting down the days til we go back!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Rhythm88
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I really hesitated to write this review. There are some wonderful things about Catcha. The place is beautiful, the people (especially Andrea, Juliana and Kevin) are lovely. That said, our experience was not that great, although I have to say it was not all the fault of the Catcha staff.
To start, Catcha does allow children. I did not think children were allowed there, boy was I wrong. We had a very disturbing cliffs experience right after we arrived and this soured a lot of our visit. The problem in our case was not the child, but his father who couldn't handle the constant curiousity of his 6 or 7 year old and the little kid's desire to run all over the property, thus making it a miserable experience for them both.
Within our first hour or so we had the extremely unpleasant experience of hearing this man freak out on his kid - I'd like to think the slapping sounds we heard were clapping noises, but that was not all - he was telling him how he ruined the vacation for everyone, that he was a horrible kid, and other vitrolic ranting, it was really nasty. And loud - the screaming rant could be heard all over the property.
I certainly hope no-one has to repeat our experience, I just say think twice before you take your kids on the cliffs - it may not be the kids that end up being the problem.
Then let's talk about the room. We had Gemini I. The room itself is cozy, the bed very, very comfortable and plenty big enough for a couple and we had a couple of large suitcases. The bathroom is wonderful, except that every day our toilet backed up. Again - Catcha's fault? Not really, but the stench of pooh every day and having to walk across the property to go the the bathroom in the morning - kind of like camping, not something I like to do anymore.
Towels were a nightmare. there were NEVER any towels in the morning (7am, 8 am, 9 am, noon). For the first several days I turned my towels in as I think all people should - beach towels were available twice during our entire stay - once when we arrived and then around 5 pm on our last evening. None in the place you pick them up all day on the other days. I ended up using room towels one day 3, then kept our towels and let them dry on our balcony on our last night. Because I asked the front desk several times I got yelled at by the maid for asking about towels. I mean loud voice - yelling! This was a Catcha problem. They need to destress their maid service.
However, we then had a great experience with the maids so it was kind of crazy. Because of our issues, they moved us into one of the nicer units for the last night. The Star 2 bedroom upstairs. This was really sweet of them and they moved us lock, stock and barrel. However, something in the stain they use on new furniture makes me stop breathing and feel like I'm having a heart attack. So, I slept on the bed in the living room instead of with my DH the last night.
On our last day we got ripped off by a taxi driver recommended by the front desk. We wanted to get a route taxi to the beach. They go - "here's David, he will take you (and he had route taxi plates)". I said - we only want a route taxi to the beach, not a private charter. Then on the way down I chatted about how we loved taking route taxis. When we arrived at the beach I merrily skipped off to get a chair and left my husband with David. He got mean. My husband ended up paying $1000J just to get rid of him. Very unpleasant ending to our trip - DON'T USE DAVID IF THEY RECOMMEND HIM, NASTY GUY WHO WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!!! Another poster talked about a $10 charge to return from Rockhouse. It's less than a mile away, if you pay $10 you are probably being ripped off.

Our best experiences were at the restaurant and bar. The coffee in the morning and breakfast delivery were great. The food at Ivan's was the best meal we had the whole trip and again, the service and people at Ivan's were great. We loved Ben, the dog, and had brought him treats.

Overall, Catcha is obviously not our cup of tea. Unfortunately, after 4 visits to Negril I doubt we'll be back anytime soon after our most recent experience. We go on vacation to relax, not stress about toilets, towels, getting ripped off by cab drivers, yelled at by the maids or having kids beat in our vicinity.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
33  Thank jodi_123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Negril Tree House Resort
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!