“SHHH don't tell anyone”

Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed December 29, 2008

My wife and I recently returned from a honeymoon in Negril in which we stayed on the cliffs for the first weekend and moved down to the beach for the next week. Both need to be experienced. Catcha was our home for the first weekend and it was a beautiful experience. We stayed in Venus and it had a great bedroom which was the only air conditioned room. Temperatures during our stay in early December were quite pleasant at night. We had some lizards greet us on the roof of our verandah, that was quite interesting to see. The property offers great access to the Caribbean Sea either by ladder or jumping. The lazy float is nice as well. People pick spots early so if the place is full you may not get the spot you want, but trust that there are many other great spots, including hammocks to lounge. Breakfast on your verandah is exceptional and a very nice touch. We ate one night here and the food was delicious and the service time was what we expected. It didn't come quick, but it wasn't a nightmarish long time either. Just relax and take it in. The property has a resident cat and dog, who will greet you. Noise from the properties next door was not overpowering and shut down early! Like 8pm. Venus is the closest suite to the neighbouring properties going south. The full fridge in Venus is great and the store across the street has great prices as it has to be affordable for the locals. 6 Red Stripe less than $6!!! If you wanted to cook your own meals, this is the place to pick up the grub, with a fresh produce section as well. We took in Rick's one night and the food and atmosphere was wonderful. The price was above average, but not astronomical...and the experience was well worth it. If you dont want to eat, admission is free.
The sunset and moon are beautifully viewed from this property.
The staff are super friendly, Carol, Wayne, Kevin, great people.
We will definitely be back.
We asked for a taxi from Catcha to our beach resort for the next morning and the driver was sitting in the office when we requested it. No problem Mon! Well he wasn't there the next morning at the time we agreed too and the front desk had to call him. Two minutes he said. 20 minutes later no taxi, so she called a new one. 20 minutes later we were on our way. Not a huge deal just would've been nice to know since we would've loved to jump in the sea instead of wait at the office for an hour.

• Stayed: December 2008
4  Thank stclow

Reviewed December 28, 2008

my husband and i got married at catcha back in november. The resort is beautiful and the staff was amazing.One of the tropical storms hit negril be for we did so catcha's gardens weren't blooming, but the grounds are beautiful. The sunsets off the cliffs are the best in the world. Anything we needed they got it right away nothing like i heard about Jamaican service FAST. Thanks to everyone[terrible with names] they made the best wedding and all around vacation it could have been. THANK YOU MR. & Mrs.James P.S Kevin i will be back for some more Bob Marley Shots i can still taste them. MUCH RESPECT TO ALL AT CATCHA

3  Thank biggame1802
Reviewed December 27, 2008

What a great place! Small but well maintained, with beautiful tropical landscaping! We stayed in the "Sagitarius".. GREAT choice! This unit is closest to the water, and the surrounding deck and patio area are to die for! The hammock in the porch was an added attraction.. we spent most of our evenings enjoying the views and watching the fishing boats, and the boats going to Rick's. You'll hear the noise from Rick's while they're open, but it seems they were only open until 10:00. The only complaint about the room is there is no A/C.. and it was HOT the week we were there! The ceiling fan and standing fan helped, but we had them both on "high" , and it was still uncomfortable sleeping. The bathroom was decent.. shower only, no tub. The mini fridge was a bonus for snacks and drinks.

The pool still wasn't finished, in fact, it didn't look like they were even working on it, but we didn't miss it! The access to the water in different spots around the resort is wonderful.. very private! Very few people were at the resort when we were.. we ate dinner alone most nights! Ivan's was very nice.. friendly staff, and use of a laptop at the bar which was convenient!

The food was good.. and I'm a picky eater! Breakfast was good.. simple, but delicious! Dinner entrees were $$, but excellent! We walked down the road to the Rockhouse for dinner a couple of nights and were very satisfied. Excellent seafood!

Transportation is expensive.. so if you want to go into Montego Bay or Kingston, make a day of it! Shopping is okay.. not as good as Mexico in my opinion, but fun to go through some of the shops. There are people selling all sorts of things on the streets, so watch for that.

If you're looking for a QUIET, relaxing place, off the beaten path, you'll love "Catcha". If you like a lot of nightlife and mingling, or have small kids, it's probably not what you're looking for.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lt2148
Reviewed December 22, 2008

We didn't stay here (much to our regret, we were at Tensing Pen instead) but we did eat here after a guest staying at our resort swore it was the best food to be had nearby. My husband and I were bored with the dinners at our resort but weren't quite brave enough to wander aimlessly at night looking for dinner elsewhere. We went a few doors away to Catcha and are SO happy we did! The food was AMAZING here and not too expensive comparing to our resort. The staff was so friendly - it was such a breath of fresh air!! If we ever return to Negril, we will be staying here!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank c0reyann
Reviewed December 21, 2008

I was trying to book a vacation in Jamaica with my husband this past summer. I loved Catcha falling star and tensing Pen the most, but I wanted to make sure the rooms/cottages I liked were available for the dates we could go. I loved the libra at Catcha (online at least). I was emailed with One Stop Negril vacations trying to find out about availability, and they said that the systems were down for this hotel and they would get back to me. Since I was trying to book then, I decided to call Catcha directly (I am really stupid because I figured an 876 number was free). Well it wasn't free, but that is not my complaint. I appreciate the fact that Jamaica is very laid back and that is a different country. But, the woman who answered first told me she was not in the office. She said to call back. I called back and she was still not in the office, but would walk there. So I waited for her to walk acorss the property. She then just tells me that many rooms would be available that far out, but her system was down and couldn't tell me!
So about a month later I get a bill, for $20 in those two phone calls! What a disappointment. Anyways, I would have loved staying here anyways (libra was not free), but we never kept our plans to Jamaica because of the economy. But that is my two cents on customer service.

Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Masscouple
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Catcha Falling Star Nov 23 - Dec 3 Visited Jamaica for the first time.
Chose this little resort because I didn't want the usual "motel 6" atmosphere but to feel like I was on an island with the look and feel of a remote getaway. The resort wasperfect from the different size suites to the location on the cliffs, the grass roofs and beautiful walkways lined with plants and palm trees. The unbelieveable ocean views and the warm breeze that feels so good. The resort is on the west end of Jamaica, locally known as the cliffs, it protrudes out into water more than the surrounding resorts so the surf that makes it way into the cove sounds awesome, I could and did listen to it for hours. The cliffs also provide some of the best swimming and snorkeling I have experienced. There were scuba divers there almost every day. Jumping off the cliffs was a blast for me, my wife used the ladders. I tried to swim with the dolfphins that come by but my timing was off, bummer maybe next time, the key is to stay near the fish traps because they know how to get a free meal without too much effort. They have there own Restaurant & Bar. Ivan's bar, named after Hurricane Ivan, has its own story, you won't believe it unless you see it. The Food was one of the greatest surprizes in store. All I have to say is "Mango Chicken"! I would not eat anywhere else because you're leaving the best food to eat the second best...Why? It is even known locally as the best food around, however the other places won't tell you that.
The staff was so friendly and nice that to this day I miss them, we met people from california to london who stay there regularly throughout the year, now I know why. I will definately go back, my wife and I had a fantastic time and we're glad we stayed there

3  Thank Time2Laff
Reviewed December 11, 2008

We loved this place. We are used to staying at all-inclusive resorts, so we weren't expecting great service...but that's what we got! We stayed in the Aquarius suite and it had an amazing view! We arrived well before check in, but were greeted with a warm welcome and shown where we could change and lounge around until our room was ready. We decided to catch a cab into town (don't expect to see much there). When we arrived back at the resort our room was partly ready, so we were let in while housekeeping was still cleaning the room. We were pleasantly surprised with the suite and rooms. It was very convenient to have a fridge and microwave in the suite as there aren't many places to eat in the area. The resort itself is beautiful and the cliff diving was really fun. We ate at Ivan's for dinner and everyone was pleasantly surprised with their meals. Breakfast was ok, not the best and we usually had something missing, but nothing major. Usually just coffee.
The staff was very attentive and friendly. I don't know about the drinks at Ivan as we didn't sit at the bar at all, but the waitress brought our rum punches down to the cliffs while we were sunbathing.
We are already planning our trip back to this serene spot. If you are looking for action, this may not be the place for you, as the only nightlife is Rick's Cafe which is within walking distance. If you want a quiet relaxing time, check out Catcha Falling Star.

2  Thank Travel Addict P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 80 in Negril
Travellers Beach Resort
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!