“Catcha Falling Star saved my vacation”

Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Quinlan, Texas
“Catcha Falling Star saved my vacation”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Catcha is a small boutique resort with multiple bungalos located on the cliffs in West End. The atmosphere is very relaxing and quiet. The pool is small but refreshing and sits just below Ivan's. Ivan's is a jewel. The food there is fantastic, and the bar knows how to make a good drink. Nothing on the menu will displease you.

With all this, my wife and I still hit the wall. We had been up late the night before checking in, and when we got there - the air conditioner was not operational. The rocks heat up during the day, and the cottage we were staying in was quite warm. We made the best of it and enjoyed drinks on a couple of lounge chairs overlooking the ocean. It was a very nice way to deal with a problem. Unfortunately the room did not cool down until after midnight - it had to work hard to cool the room. The bed was also not very comfortable, and we did not sleep at all that night. We watched the sun come up enjoying coffee from Ivan's.

The next day we relaxed in a rather private area and enjoyed some romantic seclusion. Although the resort allows the women to sunbathe topless, my wife none the less was a little uneasy being the only one topless but tan lines were more of an issue so she did.

When we came back to the room after lunch, we were dismayed to find the room (Libra) incredibly hot - and our chance to take a nap was destroyed. We were bordering on 48 hours of no sleep and were losing our cool. We decided to check out early.

This decision was hard to make, but we didn't think the management would be able to fix the heat issue. Catcha was extraordinarily kind and generous providing a total refund - which we didn't even ask for. They were truly concerned about our experience, and I think on a different day - and different cottage, this situation would never have happened.

I would like to thank Catcha Falling Star. Although our brief stay at the resort was not the best, your staff and ownership made me feel better trying to "make it right" with me and my wife.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John_Clare03

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
South Bend, IN
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Thank you to all the staff at Catcha, especially Andrea and Mauvette. The entire staff was always friendly and helpful. The weather was perfect and the property was beautiful. It was fun to watch the staff beautifully transform the property for the Friday evening wedding on the cliffs and the reception at Ivan's. All details were attended to beyond our expectations. Most of all, it was a lovely day for Ann and Shawn and our guests had a wonderful time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Betsy C
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Catcha Falling Star was recommended by a friend that has returned there 4 times. She went on & on about the staff, facilities, and location - how great it was. So, we trusted her and are we glad we did! Susan, the manager does a great job taking care to make sure the facility, grounds, and staff are functioning in the best condition. She was so kind to upgrade us to another room when the dogs were barking out on the road late at night. Mavette was so helpful and courteous to make our stay pleasant, helping us on numerous occasions. From Lewis in security, to Mark on the grounds, Derrick the lifeguard, and all the wonderful waitresses - we were treated so nice and kind. .We just loved all of them! CFS was my wife's dream come true! She hadn't had a vacation in several years while caring for her sick parents and was well overdue. CFS was an oasis of peace and calm that allowed us such a time of rest so needed. Did I say the food and service was excellent at Ivan's? The pumpkin soup and Escovitch fish were dynamite, our fav. We look forward to returning soon and know it will be a repeat of our first experience. Thanks to all who made this a great vacation and may God continue to bless all !

Room Tip: The Virgo suite was so nice. The best has to be Sky however!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Timothy F
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here in May 2013 with my boyfriend, both of us are in our early 30's. This was my first time to Jamaica, and I did a ton of research on where to stay on the island. After reading multiple reviews, and looking at photos, we decided on Catcha Falling Star.

Words can't describe this place, you have to look at actual traveler photos. The hotel rests on the cliffs of Negril, with incredible panoramic views of the ocean. Everywhere you sit, by the pool, at the restaurant, in your room....everywhere has a gorgeous view! There were times when we felt we had the whole resort to ourselves (there are only 20 rooms or so). A truly peaceful stay.

The staff adds to the hotel's wonderful charm. Every single person is so kind and welcoming, and they will remember your name!

The resort restaurant (Ivan's Bar) is ranked very high on Trip Advisor, and that's because the food is incredible. Gotta have their jerk chicken penne pasta dish, out of this world!

We stayed in the Aries suite. Very cool tiki type condo. Comfortable bed, strong AC, very spacious, and the best....a large balcony overlooking the ocean.

This is still my favorite vacation to date, I can't wait to come back to Catcha.

Room Tip: There are a few private villas, if you can afford to stay there go for it! Some of them (Sagittariu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MjM1129
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Catcha Falling Star is a small, intimate resort with amazing views and the best Sunsets. I get what some people have written about lack of amenities, but it is not a five star all-inclusive resort and I really liked the vibe of the place. Also, everything was kept very clean. It would be nice to include basic toiletries such as Shampoo/Conditioner. It was a plus to have a fridge in our room. We stayed in the new Sky Cottage which is a beautiful thatched roof cottage with a perfect view of the varying different shades of blue water w/ a balcony that you can sit on for hours and just read, talk or chill. My husband and I enjoyed being stress free and were also entertained by the party boats that sailed by on the way to Rick's everyday! It was the first vacation I returned from and I actually felt like I did not need a vacation from my vacation! The food at Ivan's was good, but not being an all-inclusive we had some great meals at various restaurants all within walking distance or a short ride away. It is definitely worth the 1.5 hour drive from MBJ airport to reach this beautiful destination. We loved it so much we plan to return in December!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jemstar5
The Hague, Holland
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have stayed in Catcha for two nights. Nice location with nice little cottages and very nice daybeds to sunbath next to the accessible water from the cliffs. We have paid 200$ a night in the low season and for that amount of money I had expected to have:- An airconditioner that worked, a/c was showing errors- Not to see 3 cockroaches per day in the room...- Not to be wakened up two night in a row at 4am because the guards are talking loud with each other.Catcha has the location, the nice restaurant and the right atmosphere, but has to work on some details to come to its full potential.

6 Thank Rene v
catcha, Manager at Catcha Falling Star, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
We also welcome your negative comments which helps us to correct any problems we might have.
We did find a hole in one of the manholes which probably caused the roach problem. We have since corrected the problem and we have also spoken to the Guard Company.

Regards
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to catcha for 3 years now. It was love at first site when I saw catcha online. We have the option of going anywhere in the world and we choose catcha. We always stay in the Sagi which has an awesome view,an outdoor shower, and AC. they added 2 new rooms which are absolutely gorgeous!!! This is the only place where we feel at peace and get plenty of rest. The grounds are beautiful, the people are amazing. We love the wait staff, they make every visit so enjoyalbe. THe bartenders are fun and we had many fun nights closing down the bar. We have met so many nice people who we keep in touch with. The food is always amazing, our favorite is the jerk chicken penne pasta and the jerk shrimp. For breakfast we love the johnny cakes and the banana pancakes are soooo good. I love that you can just lay by the pool and have food delivered to you. If you don't see something on the menu just ask they may be able to make it. I love the pumpkin soup, I get it everytime...you must try it!! I didn't see it on the menu but when I asked for it, they had it the very next day.Wayne was our driver to and from the airport, he is very reliable, trustworthy and a great guy. I love everything about catcha, there is not one negative comment you can say about that place. I am always sad to leave and book our next trip the day we leave. Catcha is by far number one!!!! I highly recommend to everyone if you are staying in Negril to stay there.

Room Tip: Every room is good...Sagi is on the expensive side but has the best views, Gemini rooms are smaller...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kristine C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
CocoLaPalm Resort
#11 of 81 in Negril
Negril Tree House Resort
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!