“AMAZING!”

and 1 more site!
Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Dates of stay 7/7-7/10 -WOW, there are no words to express how I feel right now. Went to Jamaica as a last minute getaway for myself, this had to be the best experience I've had in my life and I've seen and done some pretty amazing things. I stayed for only three days in the STAR cottage, 2 bedroom, large veranda, outdoor patio w outdoor/showers. I was blown away by the space I had all to myself, The view from my private veranda was UNBELIEVABLE, I sat out there at night and could hear the music from both sides, Ricks and this really cool spot 3Dives down the street, every morning I would wake to birds singing, I felt as if I was in my own private tropical paradise, I even mad a friend, a little kitty that would visit at night and sit on my patio chair to watch the sunset. My cottage was surrounded by trees, flowers, pure beauty. Unit was not air conditioned, but there were ceiling fans throughout, it was ok for me because I'm not an air conditioning fan anyway. I didn't want to leave this place, Marvette at the front desk was awesome, she really helped me out w/arranging a tour for me after my original one I had set up for myself stood me up. I'm not into the touristy type hotels/resorts so this was perfect, it was quiet & peaceful. I will definitely be back to this little piece of heaven, oh and I almost forgot, the SHOOTING STAR from the bar was yummy!

Room Tip: Dogs barking at night, didn't bother me was too tired at night once I returned to my room to rea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LasheaChicago
Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We LOVED the views from this hotel. We just got back yesterday, and hotel is amazing. We took the Venus cottage, and the views from the balcony are to die for. The cottage itself is pretty huge for 2 people- it has a bedroom, a kitchen/dining and a living room space.
The cliffs are so much fun, you can cliff jump into the ocean (which btw is only accessible to the hotel guests), and the life guard there makes sure you are safe and comfortable. The service across the resort is really good, and the folks are genuinely friendly. The Ivan restaurant gets full in the evening, and the evening lighting is spectacular. I would have given it five stars, but I took out one star, because our bathroom was leaking on two days, and the internet is really bad and spotty.

Room Tip: Take a room on the top floor facing the ocean, so you can see the cliffs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ana_nox
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed six days at Chatcha and by the second day we were alreadying thinking about plans for when we stay again. Every staff member was nice and friendly and I do not have a single complaint about them. The reservation process was easy and they helped me organize a pick up and drop off from the airport, they driver they sent was outstanding and he goes by the name of Sugar Dandy. We ended up booking a day trip with him that was a blast. Ivan's restaurant was delicious and the wait staff was very kind.

1  Thank Margaret A
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I initially picked Catcha because of the reviews here.... there was not a single disappointment. You will not miss the phone that's not in your room, you will not miss the sandy beach - there's no need to split your trip ...every beautiful moment here will be cherished and you will not want to leave! It's not the Ritz but it doesn’t lack any luster... it's rustic, charming, unpretentious and exquisitely beautiful. Gated w/ lush foliage & friendly helpful staff.. I stayed in Gemini II four nights ( 3 with no neighbor) I will say when someone did get into Gem I it was obvious so sound proofing would have been a plus but it was my lastnight and I was leaving early I didn't care. The trip from Mobay to Negril is scenic (pricey) but worth it .....don't hesitate it's not hype .. this place exceeds expectations!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tallon69
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My first time in Jamaica and I loved Catcha Falling Star. The cliff views are terrific. The restaurant, Ivan's is very nice. I had two dinners there and both were great. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We stayed in Aries and it had a great view. It was kept very clean. The only knock I had was the air conditioning. The bedroom had a wall unit, but it really couldn't keep up. The living room had no air, and basically made the room unusable. If it had air, they would have gotten a 5 from me.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wally K
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was a nice ending to a 12 day stay in Negril. It was our first time in Jamaica and we spent the first 10 days at 2 beach front resort all-inclusives. We were looking to wind down before coming home and picked Catcha. Staff here were very friendly and I can't complain at all about the service. THe room was nice and in a great spot. We booked far ahead and had Sagittarius (right on the cliff). Good private sunning spot and shower! This room is also right next to the bar - so it was easy to walk around the back and get a drink or snack. Reggae music just at the right volume and it ended around 9pm. nice.
Ivans was good food and drink. Not 5 star but it was totally fine for a mid-level price meal.
If you are looking for a very chill spot to get away this place is great. I think I would get a little bored after 3 days there because I like variety and action. You are literally a 2 minute walk from Rick's cafe and there is a lot of action there but an hour or two of that scene was enough for me.
I can't think of anything wrong with this resort but it is just a little rustic and quiet for me to spend a whole week or two.

1  Thank jillandamy
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Sugar Dandy drove us from the airport and on several excursions and we a learned a lot from this jovial Jamaican. He taught us the greeting "Respect". I still don't know if it should be classified as a command, a request or just a simple truth, but I like it. Two things I believe you should respect when staying on the cliffs is the road, very narrow and cars come flying. Also, respect the swells when swimming in the cove. It can be insidiously strong even when there are no white caps.
PROS
Excellent, safe, fun driver in Sugar Dandy who is willing to take you on even offbeat excursions at unusual hours if given a day or two notice.
Fantastic friendly staff all around. I don't know if they give special lessons on congeniality, but all of these people pass with flying colors.
Relaxed, beautiful grounds that you never have to leave if you don't want to.
Ivan's restaurant has excellent food with great chefs. The prices are almost exactly what I'd expect to pay in the states, so it's no great money saver, but it's also only 10 steps away from my lounge chair(hard to put a price on that).
Rooms are spotless and the bedrooms in our units(Venus and Aries)were air-conditioned. I would consider air conditioned rooms a must in the summer. We are from south of Houston, Texas and can handle a little heat, but not when we want to sleep.
The security guards are nice, but also make you feel very safe, even when your leaving the compound they watch out for you
Across the street is a little market store which offers some basic items and an entertaining cast of some local talent
Quite easy to snorkel right from our cliffs with an adequate supply of sea life right beneath our noses, coral fish, coral, sea stars, sea urchins etc
On the grounds are an excellent assortment of birdlife as well, white crowned pigeons, Vervain hummingbirds, band tailed doves, mockingbirds, Loggerhead kingbirds, bananquits, kestrels royal terns, Brown Boobies and Frigate birds offshore.
The beach and serious partying are only a short taxi ride away(agree on a dollar amount before you get in the taxi, you can play hardball because there will be another taxi coming around the corner in twenty seconds
Summer time is the slow season and it feels like you get the place to yourself
CONS
A lot of restaurants, including some highly rated ones near Catcha are closed for the summer
The bedroom in Aries have windows that are connected to the hallway. They are frosted so no one can see into your bedroom, but it is a little unnerving
There is a dog whose master must leave at ~5:30 a.m. and that is when the non-stop barking starts, but you will fall back to sleep and then realize later that he's not barking anymore, so something happens to settle him down. We could hear him in Aries, couldn't hear him in Venus
I fished almost every morning and one night off the cliffs and never got a single nibble even with shrimp.
Taxis are an adventure which I liked but my wife did not. I don't know what test they have to take to get the red license plates of a legal taxi driver but I know they don't get drug tested, exactly 50% of our taxi drivers had a lit joint when we got in the cab.
CONCLUSION
I highly recommend Catcha Falling Star and can't wait to come back, this being our first time in Jamaica. To broach a tender subject that arose in our travel discussions but no one seems to mention is "If I'm afraid to drive through a neighborhood of color, downtown, why would I go on vacation to a nation of color." One night at Catcha will help to erase any concerns you may have of staying in Jamaica. Go ahead, you'll not regret coming here."Respect".

Room Tip: Really liked Venus, but make sure you get a room with A/C in the summer
6  Thank HerbUttsmelz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Negril Tree House Resort
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 81 in Negril

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!