“There's a reason it's hard to get a reservation sometimes!”

and 1 more site!
Idle Awhile The Beach
Ranked #22 of 80 Hotels in Negril
boston, ma
“There's a reason it's hard to get a reservation sometimes!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We have stayed at Idle Awhile a few times now over the years, and we're just back from two weeks there and I wanted to "big up" the staff for being so wonderful. From the front desk to the restaurant and bar, and of course, the security and grounds keepers.... everyone is authentically pleased to be working there and it shows. The service is great without being overbearing, the place is as spotless as a caribbean beachfront paradise can be.... and the beach is raked meticulously each morning. Towels, chairs and umbrellas are provided with a smile, and everyone is made to feel comfortably at home. We had a few nights in a deluxe room and then several nights in a one bedroom suite, I really appreciate having a kitchen when traveling with children. We love Idle Awhile, it's our first choice for non-villa accommodations in Jamaica. My only worry about posting a review is that it will become even more difficult to secure a room.... but I can see that the cat is out of the bag.... all of the guests seem thrilled with their choice to stay at Idle Awhile.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank srayburn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I took a small trip without kids, and let me tell you, it was amazing. We often forget how special our relationship is, and this was exactly what we needed to "get our groove back." We stayed at Idle Awhile for 4 nights. The first 2 nights were in the one bedroom oceanview room, which was heaven. The last 2 nights were spent on the 2nd floor in a garden view one bedroom and it was even better than being on the 1st floor. It was so romantic. It was the off season, so Negril was not crowded at all.
The staff was great. Marcia the security guard and Gumby the grounds keepman were more than helpful. The food at Sweet Spot was the best we had. Directly across the street is Bes of de Wes jerk chicken hut and the jerk chicken was tasty.
The only downfall was expense. All excursions and extracirricular activities were so expensive. As was transportation and food were just as expensive. However, the majority of the food was soooo good.
Overall, this place was great for romance. Not busy, very laid back and intimate.

Room Tip: We experienced two different rooms and they were both equally amazing.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CHARISSE S
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I spent four nights at Idle Awhile in a deluxe room after staying three nights on the cliffs for our honeymoon. We really enjoyed our time here. The room was spacious and clean and the resort is on the best stretch of Seven Mile Beach. There are vendors, but they didn't bother us much, and a simple "No thank you" and they're on their way. We also ate at the restaurant for dinner one night and it was delicious. My husband loved the curry chicken.

Things we loved about this hotel are that they give you free water bottles at check in and fill them up with water at the bar for free. The bed is comfortable and there is a nice patio. Everyone is very friendly and they put out beach chairs and an umbrella for you in the morning.

The only thing that wasn't perfect were the tree frogs at night, but this has nothing to do with the hotel. Just bring some earplugs!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My husband and I had a great time on our honeymoon in Jamaica. The staff at Idle Awhile was really friendly and the food was good. I ate pancakes, fresh fruit, and coffee everyday! And the jerk chicken across the street is amazing. I liked that the resort was on the beach. The windows do not have glass, so noise travels in and out along with the heat. During our stay there was a lot of construction noise for a couple of days, so that put a little damper on sleep. Overall we had a good experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haley B
Austin, Tx
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed in the down stairs garden view one bedroom suite, and loved it. We travel to Negril at least once a year. This room is the first room I have ever stayed in that I hoped it would rain so I could sleep in the hamock on the patio. It did rain but my husband beat me to the hamock. The hotel is first rate as well, one of the nicest if not nicest non-inclusive hotels on the beach. We are partial to the cliffs but like the beach for a couple of days. Food at the resturant is great, and service for the beach, and resturant is also great. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank AshBo
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Really just do not know where to begin. Awesome is the first thing that comes to mind. What a wonderful place to vacation and relax. Etta, Norman and Sandria are just great! We are already planning our next rip back to Hide Awhile. Thumbs up to this resort :)

Room Tip: We stayed in Quad 4 and loved it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mexicanmargarita
Plantation, Florida
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed at Idle awhile in January 2012. It's a great boutique hotel on the 7 mile beach in negril. I loved the room, I had a garden view. The rooms are beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable. I loved waking up and eating breakfast on the patio facing the beach. The staff was friendly and the rooms were great. I also loved the water bottle and the purified water fountain that you get upon arrival. I would definitely come back!!

Room Tip: Garden view was perfect!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple