Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma
Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Negril
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Amazing”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our honeymoon after our original trip to Kenya was cancelled. We loved the sensatori. It is stunning, great food, amazing beach and lovely staff. We had a swim up room in the adult section which I really recommend. The italian restaurant is great and cocktails are brilliant.

I wouldn't recommend the club mobay at the airport - waste of money

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Laura L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
oxford
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Can't speak highly enough about this hotel. The location is to die for with a beautiful, scrupulously clean, safe beach. The staff are fantastic and I found them genuinely keen to exchange a bit of banter. The hotel itself is pristine with just one negative that I can think of and that is some of the flooring gets very slippery when wet, which happened a lot whilst we were there as it is the rainy season. The food is lovely and if you don't like any of the choices, I found the chefs were quite happy to mix and match to your satisfaction. We did the sunset cruise to Ricks using the lads from the water sports centre. A thoroughly enjoyable experience, despite the rain in the middle. Will definitely look at booking another Sensatori after this experience.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Linda C
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This place far exceeded expectations. Myself and my boyfriend came here for 10 nights traveling with Thomson and it was my birthday during the holiday. It isn't as large as the Sandals or Palladium which are close by but I think this makes the place nicer as it is more intimate. It has a lot of character and very friendly.

First of all the staff here are amazing. They are all extremely friendly and can't do enough for you. The Thomson reps were lovely and very approachable.

Secondly the hotel itself. We stayed on the second floor in the adult section. The room was superb, beautifully decorated and very clean. It was cleaned every day to a high standard. The air con was in excellent working order and quiet! I cannot fault the room at all. The pools were well maintained and the grounds were beautiful. The staff were constantly sweeping up making sure the place looked tidy. The best thing about the hotel itself is it is right on one of the most gorgeous beaches I have ever visited. Again it is well maintained. There were always plenty of sun beds to choose from and plenty of towels. People did tend to save beds but this wasn't a problem for us. The place is just amazing and so modern.

Thirdly the food is top quality. I highly recommend the Italian restaurant. It's brilliant that there is no need to pre-book which makes this place different to a lot of all inclusive resorts. The buffet restaurant was great with plenty of choice each day. Can't fault the food at all.

If you visit Jamaica you have to visit Dunns River Falls and Mystic Mountain but prepare for a long bus journey there! The downside of this hotel is the location for excursions as the tourist attractions tend to be close to Ocho Rios which is 3 hours or so away. Don't let this put you off coming to this hotel though because Negril is a lovely part of the island with, I think, the best beach.

On my birthday I was surprised with a bottle of champagne and homemade chocolates and I was later looked after at dinner with a beautifully created dessert along with a rendition of happy birthday. It was lovely.

I highly recommend Sensatori and we will definitely be returning. I read a number of reviews on here before going and I have to say the place exceeded my expectations. It was absolutely wonderful and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to my family and friends.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Alice W
London
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon and was 100% the right choice. Excellent friendly staff, modern and stylish rooms. Hotel was fully booked for the duration of our stay but we never struggled to get sun loungers etc and the resort was certainly not as busy as you would expect for 150+ rooms. Location is great with its own stretch of beach and you are free to walk the full 7 miles of beach in safety!! Food is amazing (except for the Garfield beach house restaurant) and you will never get tired of the cocktails.
We are going back next year for sure!!!

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Jealzy
Livingston
Reviewed July 23, 2014

On arrival after a long flight, terrible experience through customs and a bumpy transfer you final realise your in paradise. Greeted with a cold scented towel and a glass of sparkling wine. The view at reception out into the Caribbean Sea is breathtaking.
Pools are lovely, beach is like a postcard picture and sunsets amazed me everyday.
Staff work unbelievably hard to make your stay enjoyable, I'd love to mention every member we felt exceeded expectation but every staff member are just amazing and are a real pleasure to be around, management should be proud of such a great team from dining staff to reception and entertainment to cleaners I can't say enough about them, they made our holiday!
So only bad point I have to mention, I feel horrible for adding this negative comment about such a great holiday but feel I need to for future guests. Our problem was with the guest relations, we booked our trips with them. Felt like they weren't interested in us and more bothered about taking our money, I understand it's business and that's what it's all about but just the service wasn't great in my view. So we booked dolphins at a cost of 300usd not the cheapest trip but felt this would be an amazing experience, unfortunately the days leading up to the trip date my partner fell ill, not seriously ill but she felt she wouldn't enjoy the trip with the way she was feeling and didn't want to spoil a day so we decided to cancel and chill out instead. I thought we would maybe lose a small percentage of the trip fee for inconvenience ect. Which I prepared for but having given more than 24hrs notice that we couldn't attend I atleast expected a refund but we were told we would not get anything back at all. We did not go, we didn't use the service and they had more than enough time to cancel any busses ect. So no charges would have occurred
My advice don't be pressured and feel you need to book trips right away, book them the day before there's loads of spaces and they don't fill up quickly as stated by guest relations. A company like thomsons can't get away with treating paying customers like this.

Don't want to end on a negative so il just say to anyone planning a trip to the Caribbean, please try Jamaica and sensarori you will be blown away by the whole experience.

Happy holidays!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jasonkerr
Leicester
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel - Nice greeting, cold drinks and canapés on arrival.
The first impression was lovely. The reception is open and overlooking the pool & sea.Our room was a two bedroom apartment in block 2000, that can sleep up to 6 people and was VERY big. 2 bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. Living area. Large plasma tv in each bedroom.Great sea views but the balcony was disappointing ! not private , just a table and chairs on the main walkway to your room. Maids were excellent. Room service excellent. This hotel is probably one of the nicest we have stayed in ( and we are well travelled) . 3rd time in Jamaica . The atmosphere is so relaxing. The staff in the resort were lovely and too many to name here !! Buffet restaurant excellent.The a la carte restaurants were all very nice, our favourite being the Italian , but all really complement each other and the varied large menus ensure you have plenty of choice if you stay for two weeks .The beaches and pools are really out of this world ! beach and water are to die for and the pools / pool bars never get too busy or rowdy .All in all had a wonderful time .Would definitely come back. Worth giving it a go!! P.s take mosquito repellent. You will need it and do not but the Thomson reps bands for $10 ours never worked.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view ....Avoid Block 2000 if you like a private balcony ! they are all shared.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank Lee H
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed here with my boyfriend from 03/07-17/07. We are a young couple. We originally booked with First Choice a holiday to Kenya, but because of the terrorist we had to change our booking.

I'm very hard to please and notice attention to detail. This is the best hotel that I've ever stayed at. I am recommending Sensatori to all my family! You cannot fault this hotel. It has everything you need. We arrived to champagne and wet flannels to cool us down. I felt very welcome and every member of the staff had a big welcoming smile. We were shortly taken to our room by a friendly member of FOH. Our luggage took longer than expected to arrive and the bell boy just walked out the door saying nothing and leaving the door wide open. I would guess because he got no tip?

The food was amazing! Even the buffet! Usually in hotels the food has no taste and is bland, this is what I find anyway (I've usually stayed at large scale hotels). Not many people went to Akee for breakfast, but I strongly recommend you do! It is so yummy! Try it once, if you don't like it then don't go again, but it's defiantly worth it! We went to Garfield's for lunch everyday and I would request a special vegetable wrap with goats cheese and the wedge salad. It was so good! We got one to one service with the host, she always remembered us and where we liked to sit and same with one of the waitresses who also served me in Akee for breakfast. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant and it is a favourite of many! I'm a fussy vegetarian and always ask for a special dish and I never felt to be a pain. The chef would always prepare something really tasty for me. So never hesitate to ask!

I didn't like the main cocktail menu, I found it too sweet. However, the cocktail menu in Nesta bar was amazing! I work in a bar making cocktail, but they beat all of them! The bartenders were all so friendly and welcoming.

My boyfriend played volley ball each day with guys on the beach (this is an organised event) which he really enjoyed. I feel they should have an event for girls though because you will notice when the volley ball is on because all the ladies are on their own on the beach. I heard the hotel is getting umbrellas on the beach, which will be really helpful because there isn't much shade. There are men selling things on the beach but I never felt pestered by them. If you show an interest they will come over if you don't then they leave you be. There are security men on the beach which makes you feel much safer. The sea is the most beautiful thing ever! Found some star fish! Crystal blue sea!

Entertainment was good and funny! Beach parties were a pain! It meant all the restaurants expect one was shut. But they were entertaining nights! think they should only have it once a week or open at least two a la carte restaurants.

Everything is decorated really well. I liked the coffee bar because of the smoothies! It's also nice how waiters take your drink order on the beach.

There is an adults only section so you can have peace and quite.

The bed was so comfy, best sleep i've ever had! Rooms are modern and clean and the maid's do a great job! Me and my boyfriend left valuables out on many occasions and they still remained there when we returned. This is how safe it is! Only issue we had was the timings of the maid, she could come at any time, one time she came at 9.50 and another at 4pm, times we needed to be in the room. However, in their defence, they spend about an hour cleaning each room to the best standard.

We did 3 excursions the community one, boat party with Dunns river falls, and a trip to see Appleton rum factory, black river falls and a river boat seeing the crocodiles. Enjoyed all but they are over priced so much! Especially the boat one! I wouldn't recommend that! The black river is so much better than Dunn's fall.

Good selection of TV in the room! And the gym is really good! Good music as well!

The Sensatori staff really do look after you and ensure you have the best experience possible! They all make you smile and laugh. They remember your name and make you feel like royalty

Negatives:
There's not many but these are a few I experienced. The manager who I think was Italian maybe? He always was walking around the hotel but never would say a hello to guests. It would just be nice for him to acknowledge his guests. On one night we waited 1 hour for two main courses in garfield's. We told this to the manager and he seemed to care and told us he would let us know tomorrow about the investigation, but he never got back to us. Felt let down there!

AVOID THOMSON
We had a terrible experience with Thomson while doing this, we were told we would get an upgrade as a gesture of good will then were charged for extra leg room causing us to be over drawn! We had to spend hours on the phone communicating with them, promises of being phoned back weren't fulfilled. They gave us a day to pay and threatened to cancel if we didn't pay in time, resulting to me taking even more time of work. They didn't seem to care how much were were messed around and it was a stressful experience! I thought this would all be over when we got to Jamaica, but nope. We requested premium seats with Collet the Thomson rep and she said to my boyfriend that they weren't ready but she would let us know as soon as they were released. We never heard anything back from her so we returned a week later and were told that they were all gone. There were not even any seats next to each other on the plane! Not one apology even though she could see how unhappy I was. She even admitted to her telling us she would let us know? So we had to sit alone on the way home! I am never booking with Thomson again because they lack in good customer service or any at all. They have stressed me out so much! And it is obvious by the reviews that Thomson are not being attentive or giving a monkeys about any of the other guests who stayed at Sensatori! We pay so much money for these holidays and the travel company should be giving outstanding customer service! Oh and we were miss sold the club mobay tickets for the airport, Collet told us that people had queued in immigration for over 4 hours. We left at 12.45 and our flight was at 4.00pm how would that of been possible? We couldn't relax in Mobay because we didn't have much time before our flight!

TEAM SENSATORI!
I will defiantly be returning to a Sensatori hotel, you must go there to understand my review and experience paradise. It's defiantly worth paying that bit extra to stay here because you will see how much difference it is. You get 5* food, service, accommodation, activities, atmosphere, everything. I can't describe how good the hotel is, honestly you have to experience it yourself. Sensatori I give you 5* ratings for everything on tripadvisor!

Room Tip: If you want a swim up room, directly contact the hotel to arrange this months in advance.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple