“Disappointed. Know what you're getting into before making a reservation.”
Review of Chippewa Village

Chippewa Village
Ranked #25 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Negril
NYC
“Disappointed. Know what you're getting into before making a reservation.”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My husband and I are low-key people (public school teachers and activists) who have travelled extensively and have stayed in hostels, homestays, luxury resorts and tents. I say this because I wouldn't want the reader to think I'm a snob when I say the following: we were completely disappointed by Chippewa Village and switched hotels after 2 nights of staying there.

If you really want to save money, and you don't mind run-down facilities guarded by a mangy dog in a somewhat seedy part of Negril's touristy strip, this might be a fine choice for you. At another time in my life, it might've been ok, but I'm in my mid-30s and wanted to be comfortable during my vacation. I will say that John, the owner, was certainly nice enough and helpful in many regards.

However, the cabins at my childhood summer camp were nicer than our little cottage at Chippewa--and my camp didn't have electricity or indoor plumbing. On our second day staying there, when the toilet stopped working completely, we did some research and found a modest, but wonderful, cliffside hotel in the West End which was more our speed. John kept 3 nights of our deposit money for the remaining 4 nights that we had reserved, a "policy" we haven't yet verified but agreed to because we just wanted to get out of there!

If you're looking for some comfort, but don't want all-inclusive tackiness, and you have $10 bucks more a night than what Chippewa charges...keep looking. If you just want a shack across the street from the beach to store your stuff and crash at night, Chippewa is a good option.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Quality of room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sjlovelee

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
TO
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I just had to write a note about Chippewa Village in Negril. I have stayed there twice. Both times, John (the owner) was incredibly welcoming to my friend and I. Courteous and full of great advice about the best places to eat, chill, and sunbathe in Negril, John far exceeds the usual customer service provider. Let me demonstrate: my hotel reservations for the ever-so-popular ATI weekend fell through. The hotel was not willing to accommodate me, even though they knew the mistake was theirs. They were not even able or willing to assist me to find alternative accommodation. So, in a moment of desperation (or perhaps, intuition!) I decided to call John and ask for his advice, hoping also that he would still have rooms available - the day before the busiest day of the year in Negril. As was to be expected, John did not have any rooms available. But remembering that my friend and I had stayed there before, and trying to be ever so helpful, he offered us a room in his personal quarters on the property - FOR FREE! Now, I have never ever heard of a kinder and more understanding hotel owner than that. John's got class....translating into the best place to stay in Negril.

Thanks John!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Sweden
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Great quiet and cozy place close to the beach but without all the hussle going on down at the beach. We were there at low season, so we were almost alone there, but I could just imagine how social it could be during high season. The hospitality was perfect! The manager took care of us and baked us some strong special cookies.

Most of Negril today is just like Thailand and the beach is in my opinion ruined by all the hotels lined up at the beach. But I ensure you that if you stay at Chippewa village hotel you can totally change your Negril stay to the better and experience Jamaica like it should be experienced!

Stayed April 2008
Reviewed May 15, 2008

Let me start by saying, Chippewa is not for the posh-spa seeking traveler. This is a very simple, private, quiet, no frills place to stay. For us, it was great. We woke up to the Great Morass sunrises, and watched the sunsets on the beach. I felt like I was in two worlds. There was the hussle and bussle of 7 mile beach with all the people, music, street jerk stands, and vendors selling everything from sugar cane, paintings, jewelry, mangos, you name it, but as soon as we stepped into the Chippewa property, it became very quiet, peaceful, and relaxing. I will admit that the property could use some TLC, but over all, it was what we were looking for. Privacy with the benefits of being right in the middle of the action on 7 mile beach. Again, Chippewa is not for everyone. Its takes a certain person appreciate its charm.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SweetPeaAdventures
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 15, 2008

First off, I'm embarrassed that I didn't write a review immediately upon returning to the States... Simply ungrateful!
Like my title implies, I would absolutely hate for this place to be flooded with the Snobbish and Self-Important. These types would do their best to take advantage of one of the nicest, most helpful, and coolest hotel owners I've ever met. But John deserves all the business he can get, so let's get to it.

After spending a few days in the likes of Kingston, Montego Bay, and Ocho Rios, my friends and I were a little disillusioned with Jamaica; Hollering and stifling poverty on one side, idle wealth and resort slugs on the other. Negril changed all that. Without ignoring the beautiful weather/beaches/people, one of the biggest reasons we had our best vacation ever was because we were lucky enough to stumble into the Chippewa Village (one of many suggestions from Moon Travel Books, a must have).

There, John took us in as if we were close friends, offered us a huge 3-bedroom cabin at a REALLY reasonable price and showed us the grounds. He built the entire place himself, some cabins in the style of Sioux Indian huts and some as expansive, multi-roomed, high ceiling country homes. We really couldn't ask for anything more. The rooms we stayed in had overhead fans and plenty of windows. There was an abundance of space and we had access to a nice pool and a large BBQ pit, which we used to hold a massive, multi-meat grill-out. Out past the pool and grill was a path that led to The Great Morass, an expanse of bamboo that grows from a wooden dock towards Eastern mountains that seem to be at least 3 miles away. The vast, wind-blown bamboo prairie makes a nice foil to the light blue Caribbean Ocean 180 degrees opposite, right across the street. If you're thinking that you need to stay exactly ON the 7-mile beach to enjoy it, you've either got too much money on your hands, or you're a simp who can't fathom the concept of a fantastic deal.

While the hotel has amazing charm and value, what made the stay so pleasant was John. He gave us really good advice about the town - where to visit (nearby waterfalls), what to avoid (that rotten Rick's Place) and when to do it (make sure to get to sunny activities early. Clouds can typically roll in around 2-3 PM).

But beyond that, John treated us better than we had any right to expect. He essentially runs the place by himself, but he made it seem as if our needs were a personal concern. He let us do laundry in his own machine. He offered rides into the heart of the city. He baked chocolate cake that I can still taste. He invited us to dinner on multiple occasions, once as guests to a pizza banquet he was holding for a handful of old friends, and once to the best restaurant I ate at in Jamaica (a slight bump over the awesome Bi-Bi-Bips in Ochi). What's the name? I'm not saying. It's small and I'm greedy for it to be the same when I go back. Needless to say, we paid for John to eat there. It was the least we could do. He showed us some real Jamaican kindness and hospitality which was really welcome after seeing how so much of the island wants to take advantage of you and your relative wealth.

Negril is the best place to stay in Jamaica, without question. And I won't be able to think about Negril without remembering Chippewa. Please don't go there thinking you're to be pampered and luxury-lavished by John. This isn't a resort, but a place run by good people for decent folks to visit and enjoy.

willwork4foodie
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I absolutely loved it here. It was so beautiful and serene. We were right across the road from the beach but didn't have to deal with all the spring breakers that you find yourself surrounded by at the bigger hotels. The owner, John, was so kind and made sure we had everything we needed. He offered to let us use the outdoor grill built into a granite counter by the pool, so we headed into town and grabbed some meat from the butcher. It allowed us to experience a side of Jamaica that you don't usually see as a tourist.

I read in someone else's review that the pool was dirty - it was not, there were maybe three leaves that had drifted in on the breeze which we plucked out. Also, reports of bedbugs are false, I have seen bedbugs (I live in Brooklyn, the bedbug capital of the world, so it's the first thing I check for) and this place had none. I feel such loyalty to the Chippewa after only a few nights there that I had to refute these claims. Perhaps the person who made them is a bit uptight - Chippewa is a fun loving, bohemian paradise. If you are ready to relax and have fun, you will have the best time of your life here.

Joeyjojo82
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I can't say enough good things about this spot. The owner was extremely helpful and friendly. He gave us all sorts of extras to help us in our stay and even made us a cake! Anyways, if you are going to Negril, make sure to check out this place and take a look at one of the suites. Its cheap, rustic, beautiful, and very romantic. I stayed there with a couple of friends and it was instrumental in creating one of the best vacations of my life. Make sure to check out the pool and the morass during the daytime. Its beautiful!!

• Liked — Romantic environment
  • Disliked — Not right on the beach.