Chippewa Village
$313
$190
$90
$65
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
$78
$192
$160
$854
$484
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
$64
TripAdvisor
All reviewswindow unittwo double bedsmini fridgethe cottagesloftpropertyjamaicabeach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 15, 2008

First off, I'm embarrassed that I didn't write a review immediately upon returning to the States... Simply ungrateful!
Like my title implies, I would absolutely hate for this place to be flooded with the Snobbish and Self-Important. These types would do their best to take advantage of one of the nicest, most helpful, and coolest hotel owners I've ever met. But John deserves all the business he can get, so let's get to it.

After spending a few days in the likes of Kingston, Montego Bay, and Ocho Rios, my friends and I were a little disillusioned with Jamaica; Hollering and stifling poverty on one side, idle wealth and resort slugs on the other. Negril changed all that. Without ignoring the beautiful weather/beaches/people, one of the biggest reasons we had our best vacation ever was because we were lucky enough to stumble into the Chippewa Village (one of many suggestions from Moon Travel Books, a must have).

There, John took us in as if we were close friends, offered us a huge 3-bedroom cabin at a REALLY reasonable price and showed us the grounds. He built the entire place himself, some cabins in the style of Sioux Indian huts and some as expansive, multi-roomed, high ceiling country homes. We really couldn't ask for anything more. The rooms we stayed in had overhead fans and plenty of windows. There was an abundance of space and we had access to a nice pool and a large BBQ pit, which we used to hold a massive, multi-meat grill-out. Out past the pool and grill was a path that led to The Great Morass, an expanse of bamboo that grows from a wooden dock towards Eastern mountains that seem to be at least 3 miles away. The vast, wind-blown bamboo prairie makes a nice foil to the light blue Caribbean Ocean 180 degrees opposite, right across the street. If you're thinking that you need to stay exactly ON the 7-mile beach to enjoy it, you've either got too much money on your hands, or you're a simp who can't fathom the concept of a fantastic deal.

While the hotel has amazing charm and value, what made the stay so pleasant was John. He gave us really good advice about the town - where to visit (nearby waterfalls), what to avoid (that rotten Rick's Place) and when to do it (make sure to get to sunny activities early. Clouds can typically roll in around 2-3 PM).

But beyond that, John treated us better than we had any right to expect. He essentially runs the place by himself, but he made it seem as if our needs were a personal concern. He let us do laundry in his own machine. He offered rides into the heart of the city. He baked chocolate cake that I can still taste. He invited us to dinner on multiple occasions, once as guests to a pizza banquet he was holding for a handful of old friends, and once to the best restaurant I ate at in Jamaica (a slight bump over the awesome Bi-Bi-Bips in Ochi). What's the name? I'm not saying. It's small and I'm greedy for it to be the same when I go back. Needless to say, we paid for John to eat there. It was the least we could do. He showed us some real Jamaican kindness and hospitality which was really welcome after seeing how so much of the island wants to take advantage of you and your relative wealth.

Negril is the best place to stay in Jamaica, without question. And I won't be able to think about Negril without remembering Chippewa. Please don't go there thinking you're to be pampered and luxury-lavished by John. This isn't a resort, but a place run by good people for decent folks to visit and enjoy.

Reviewed March 20, 2008

I absolutely loved it here. It was so beautiful and serene. We were right across the road from the beach but didn't have to deal with all the spring breakers that you find yourself surrounded by at the bigger hotels. The owner, John, was so kind and made sure we had everything we needed. He offered to let us use the outdoor grill built into a granite counter by the pool, so we headed into town and grabbed some meat from the butcher. It allowed us to experience a side of Jamaica that you don't usually see as a tourist.

I read in someone else's review that the pool was dirty - it was not, there were maybe three leaves that had drifted in on the breeze which we plucked out. Also, reports of bedbugs are false, I have seen bedbugs (I live in Brooklyn, the bedbug capital of the world, so it's the first thing I check for) and this place had none. I feel such loyalty to the Chippewa after only a few nights there that I had to refute these claims. Perhaps the person who made them is a bit uptight - Chippewa is a fun loving, bohemian paradise. If you are ready to relax and have fun, you will have the best time of your life here.

Reviewed March 14, 2008

I can't say enough good things about this spot. The owner was extremely helpful and friendly. He gave us all sorts of extras to help us in our stay and even made us a cake! Anyways, if you are going to Negril, make sure to check out this place and take a look at one of the suites. Its cheap, rustic, beautiful, and very romantic. I stayed there with a couple of friends and it was instrumental in creating one of the best vacations of my life. Make sure to check out the pool and the morass during the daytime. Its beautiful!!

Reviewed March 11, 2008

I don't understand how anyone could rave about this place. Contrary to what they advertise - breakfast is not included, there are no spa facilities, can't see the bottom of the pool it's so dirty - the place is rundown. It's for sale so I think the owner is just biding his time till it sells. Beware of the vicious dog tied up outside the office and don't sleep in the beds unless you want to get covered in bedbug bites. On the positive side, the location is good, the roof doesn't leak and you do have a lot of privacy - however, we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2008

We just returned from 15 days in Chippewa village,Negril,Jamaica. My partner had been there several times and knew it was the best place for us-me as the first time there. i have allways wanted to go to Jamaica. It was all i expected and more! And at Chippewa -the owner and employees are friendly and efficient! the grounds are gorgeous. i am not well and many days i stayed on the grounds,fronted by the beach road, backed by the great Marass and fully safe,comfortable and Jamacan.The indian decor cottages are lovely, safe, roomy and seperate.,but more than that- a homeaway from home. thanks John! You all are family! love u and see u asap! Karen N Ray

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple