“Felt like home away from home”
Review of Villa La Cage

Villa La Cage
Ranked #77 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit to Jamaica and i must say i enjoyed it here at this smaller local hotel more than the all-inclusive Sandals resort. The staff were friendly, helpful, and owner Mr. Bell assisted me to get to a local beach as i was traveling alone. I felt safe the entire stay and was able to see the local town during their busy holiday time. Each morning ms. Jenny greeted me and asked if i was doing well or needed anything so i was always comfortable. I would stay here again!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank kiad73

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I am a travel agent and have been traveling to Jamaica for 17 years, several times per year and up to 30 day stays. I have stayed everywhere, all over the Island, from all inclusive to EP (no meals/drinks). This is my new spot, from now on. Yes it's not on the beach, yes it's not a Sandals or "luxury" resort but it's quiet and relaxing. There is a small beach located within a walking distance (at the Canoe Bar) or short cab ride to the 7 mile beach. I rent a car, so it's an easy drive and plenty of parking right at Villa La Cage. Free WiFi in the restaurant and bar area. Pool was great, clean and very relaxing. I only have eaten breakfast there on my trips as I venture out to other places or I cook in my room. Mr. Bell is an awesome man and his staff is exceptional...Janet, Pauline & Ashley, hats off to you ladies! Keep doing what you're doing Mr. Bell, you have my business. Any questions, please feel free to contact me at: a-and-k-travel@verizon.net ...mi soon see you again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
11  Thank luvtravlin
Reviewed April 12, 2014

those of you who have read my reviews will know i tell it like it is this one is no different.As for drea954 who said dont stay there i would beg to differ i would say stay there( in fact i did not want leave),forget the coumpound prisons they call hotels and see the real jamaica.this hotel is popular with locals and i agree they can be loud, but dont be put off by that go down to the bar and join them the chat is brilliant brush up on your patios and become a local with them they will never forget you.As for the pool, the pool is not green its filters are turned on every morning and regulary cleaned.As for the food, miss p who cooks the meals starts work at 3pm yes she does other duties but be real man this is a small 25 room hotel multi tasking is must to survive in a competitve market,miss p is a big woman and that is reflected in her food big on taste and big quantity these meals are not for the faint hearted,I ate there every night and tried virtualy every thing on the menu which ranges from pasta,jerk,curry goat,to lobster the prices are unreal man most meals are 500-600 jmd (lobster1900) the exchange rate as i write is 180jmd to the gb£ and 110jmd to the us$ so it is great value.As for the rooms, I stayed in budget room which ideal for two people and those on a tight budget like me it was comfortable and airy not luxury but what do you want for that price the water pressure was a bit low but so what, i agree the towels had a distinct odour its called clean fresh air dried odour,i was shown all the other rooms which are large and ideal for a familly of four or five.I read an earlier review about a theft at the hotel, I feel i must rubbish that review after having talked to mr Bell about it, my door was virtualy open all the time i was around the place plus every room has a safe in it I didnt use it but its there and free to use,another thing i must point out the booking .com website states there is no internet acces and no car parking this is incorrect, free wi-fi is available in the public areas and ample car parking at the front area.finaly must thanks to mr Bell and his staff and the locals(especialy action jackson) who made my stay one of the best of the 35 i have had at this beautiful island respect to you all and soon come

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank George M
Reviewed February 16, 2014

First of all, this place is filthy and run down... the pool is dirty and the water was green. While the staff appeared to be pleasant, the place was a disaster... Also, the night 'security guard' couldn't protect you from a fly if needs be...
The place is a regular spot for promiscuous locals who seem to pay for an hour or two, then leave.. and this goes on for the entire day/night.... I could hear them from my room sometimes, and so could my business partner... which we both found annoying....

I did not dine there because the same lady who does housekeeping, laundry, and reception, is the same person who prepares these meals... (I also had a glance at the kitchen and it was a disaster, like the overall place)...

The price is cheap, but that doesn't mean it should be uncomfortable... the towels had a distinct odor and the shower was moldy (good thing I had packed towels)...

After 3 nights, the place became unbearable and we checked out and found a hotel up the beach which turned out great...

Mr. Bell, the owner, should consider reinvesting in this place because it has potential, and charge accordingly.....

Room Tip: If you must stay, choose a room closer to the entrance (upstairs), and make sure you get a cab drive...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Drea954
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Staff are very friendly and accomodating. Mr. Bell is very amiable and willing to work with you, to the best of his ability. We moved on, after 2 nights, because we wanted to be closer to the beach (and closer for our relatives to pick us up when we were getting together with them), and his son Robert gave us a ride to Norman Manley Blvd, at no cost. Glad we stayed here, because we probably would not have experienced the West End otherwise. Thanks, VLC.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 2CatFromVA
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My experience at this villa was with a friendly staff thats always attentive, good clean atmosphere and food is just first class and tasty. The owner was so helpful and advisable in letting my group know where are some of the best places to visit and sight see. This definitely a place for me to return on my future trips.
One important thing I liked about this place is the presents of security
For your safety and each room is equipped with a safe for all your valuables.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Filty and old. There was no water. One word: SHACK. No good surronding area. I couldn't belive to my eyes when I arrived there. It's a cheap accomodation but you get what you paid for. Spend something more but go somewhere else, close to the beach.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank MilliGi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Golden Sunset Hotel
#43 of 80 in Negril
Waterloo Guest House
Waterloo Guest House
#2 of 3 in Black River

Been to Villa La Cage? Share your experiences!