“yah man !!”
Review of Villa La Cage

Villa La Cage
Ranked #77 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Having been a visitor to Jamaica for over 40 years, and having stayed at countless hotels, guest houses and villas, I highly recommend " Villa La Cage" . It was recommended to me by a local and I stay there whenever I am in Jamaica. Staying at most hotels you miss out on getting to know the " real " Jamaica. At Villa La Cage you are part of the family the day you arrive ! Mr. Bell ( the owner ) and the staff ( Janet and Pauline ) make you feel right at home with their warmth and friendliness. The rooms are clean, have a.c and fans,cable t.v. and some have kitchens, if you prefer to cook in the room. The pool is of good size and very well maintained. There are also billiard tables and an in house restaurant with great Jamaican cuisine at moderate prices. It is right off the main road, so you are situated away from the traffic and noise of this busy vacation spot. I highly recommend any first time or frequent visitor to Negril to enjoy the comfort and hospitality of Villa La Cage on their next vacation to Jamaica !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank 223ROGER

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have been to Jamaica over ten times in the last few years and feel very comfortable. This was the 1st time I stayed at this hotel in Negril. BIG mistake. I should have clued in when I first checked in and wasn't asked for identification or any documents. No information was taken from me. No security. However, my boyfriend and I were only staying for one night and just needed a cheap place to stay so I didn't really think about it.

We were tired from a long drive and were getting up early so we left for a couple hours to go for a walk in town. Before we left we noticed that a group of young men partying in a single room across the hall. We had an uneasy feeling so went back to our room and locked my bag. When we returned, we noticed some things in the room looked off (ex: there was something on the floor I didn't notice before and my boyfriend thought my bag was moved) so I looked in my bag and noticed my wallet, camera and purse were still there so thought everything was fine.

The next day when we were hours away, I opened my wallet to pay for something and noticed all my money was gone (almost $300). I normally dont have so much cash on me but when we were out in Negril, I took out money to pay for the hotel we were arriving at the next day for a week. My boyfriend and I were shocked but knew that something was wrong with that place and I just didn't put it together in time. We pieced together that while we were out for a walk, the guys across the hall (who seemed to be the only other people staying at the hotel) or one of the staff members broke into the room and took the money out of my wallet through a back opening in my bag that wasn't locked. The doors on the rooms are definitely not sophisticated or secure and you can probably open them with a knife. It was an inside job for sure, meant to look like a setup.

When we called the owner to report this he didn't seem to care at all and didn't want to do anything about it even though his own property was broken into and his customers were robbed. He didn't want to look into how this happened and doesn't care that his hotel isn't secure or safe. This made me think that maybe he did it himself or his staff who knew we were there took the money. When I asked if he had the information on the young guys staying across the hall who were suspect, he didnt take their information either, just like mine. I wondered if this is done on purpose so there's no record of who stays there. The owner not only didn't want to help me or take responsibility for his extremely lousy hotel security and poor check-in processes, he even had the nerve to accuse my boyfriend of 3 years of taking the money even though we were together the entire time and then the owner hung up on me.

We went to the police and reported the theft but they insisted we had to drive all the way back to Negril for them to investigate and we didn't have enough time to do that and the police in Jamaica are useless anyway so we didn't bother. Please just take note of this horrible place and do not stay here for your own safety. I've learned my lessons in not trusting this villa and its staff (and to thoroughly check my wallet and valuables prior to leaving as well as ensuring the place is secure and sometimes cheaper isn't always better in the long wrong [i've just been to JA too much with nothing bad happening so didn't take all the precautions I should have). I just hope the owner learns some lessons as well. Please help teach him a lesson and do not give him your business! He will probably just steal from you anyway and will not pay you back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank emlolly
villalacage, Owner at Villa La Cage, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Villa La Cage has been in business for over 26 years and over this period of time, we have never had an incident of theft from guest rooms. This particular incident is disturbing because when this guest and her local boyfriend checked into the hotel, she asked to use a visa card as she did not have a lot of cash on her. I told her we could not take credit card for $25 so she searched her bag and found $25 to pay for the room.

She also asked if a number of other local restaurants took credit cards. I told her I did not know but she should check with them first. They went out for a few hours and returned to the hotel about 11pm.

The next morning at 10am, they check out and no complaint was reported. At about 2pm that day, she called and said that $300 was missing from her purse. I told that it is difficult say that the money was taken at the hotel because she made several stops after leaving the hotel and the money could have been lost or taken elsewhere. However, I asked her to return to the hotel and fill out a lost and found form and report the incident to Negril police.

She responded that she is not coming back to Negril to file a report but she want 20,000 Jamaican dollar or she will write a report on Tripadvisor. I repeated to her that she must file a report with Negril Police in order for them to investigate and issue a formal report.

Over the next few days, I received several calls from this guest and her boyfriend demanding money or they will write negative review on Tripadvisor. I repeated my previous comment to them asking that they report this matter to the police. They never filed a report to the police but they did write negative review on Tripadvisor.

Note that all rooms have safes to secure valuable and she left the hotel without incident. She made stops after leaving hotel. We believe it is likely that she lost her cash elsewhere. Given the time lag after this guest left the hotel, her demand for payment and reluctance to report this matter to the police, I don’t see how Villa la Cage can be held responsible?

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I discovered 'Villa La Cage' on my first trip to Jamaica seven years ago & have returned several times. It is perfectly safe, unassuming and off the beaten track of Negril's seven mile beach, but close enough to walk into town or for that matter to the beach.
What makes it fabulous, is the owner Mr. Bell and the minimal staff who become friends instantly and are happy to arrange any tour, meal or activity that you would like, they will even run you into town or the beach and pick you up.
This is not a hotel with pool attendants and baskets of towels, it is more like staying with family. I considered the pool pretty much mine since there were no other guests at the time. It is affordable, safe, unassuming and local with great blue mountain coffee breakfasts and freshly cooked meals on demand at a reasonable price.
Just tell them what you have in mind and it will happen!
I can't wait to get back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank LyrisTracey
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I happened to try Villa La Cage upon recommendation by a local, and I wasn't disappointed. Let's just say, my good Negril experience was made great by the owner and staff of this establishment. The reception is always welcoming and the atmosphere is warm. The food at the restaurant on the compound is fabulous, I ate there like twice a day. Even the bar is moderately price, and you don't have to drink and drive(wink). Mr Arreton is very pleasant, an extrovert at heart and just knowledgeable of the West End scene. I will ALWAYS stay at Villa La Cage when I am in Negril Jamaice.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank GarfieldShawty
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This year, Elaine and I spent our month long Jamaican vacation at the Villa la Cage in Negril. This medium sized economy hotel is located just a short walk off the West End Road. It features a variety of rooms and room sizes with four that have kitchenettes for long term guests.There is also a very nice nice large pool and pool area with lounge chairs and tables. There is also a restaurant, a covered open air dining room, bar and upstairs pool room.
The most outstanding features are the owner, Mr Arrenton Bell and his outstanding staff of Janet, Pauline and others. Mr. Bell is a caring gentleman who will bend over backwards for his guests. He will offer you free rides to the beach and for shopping. You must watch out for Mr. Bell or he will keep you constantly laughing and might even have you helping him with his computer. Mr. Bell is a very good person; Janet is Mr Bells assistant and an extremely nice person. Pauline is his Chef and has been trained at the better hotels in Negril. The hotel also has 24 hour security. The rooms have hot and cold water, a ceiling fan, air conditioning and a rentable room safe. There is also free wifi available from the dining room and office areas but not in your room. We felt like a member of the Villa la Cage family from Day One.
The Villa la Cage is located a short walk on a very quit and nice lane just off the West End Road. You will see school children in their uniforms coming and going. There is also a beautiful horse that is ridden up and down this lane.
Elaine celebrated her Birthday Party on Feb 25 poolside at the Villa la Cage. About a dozen of our local friends were invited to attend. Mr Bell and his staff prepared the setting and food for this party. Each table was covered in white linen and decorated with fresh flowers. It looked like a wedding party. The staff served our guests and then Mr. Bell and his staff were invited to join the party which they accepted. A meal of Brown Stewed Chicken, Fried Yellow Tail Snapper, rice & peas, a green garden salad, potato salad and fresh fruit was served .
At the junction of the road to the Villa and the West End Road sits Marcia's Braid Shop. She is excellent and does a volume buisiness with both locals and tourists. Close by is Pamelas Fruit and Vegetable as well as hand made craft shop. She has been a fixture there since 1976. There a many local restuarants within a 10 minute walk from the Villa la Cage. The Canoe Restaurant has a very nice beach area just a 10 minite walk from the Villa if you do not feel like going all the way to the Seven Mile Beach. The Sunshine Plaza has a large gocery store (Hi-Lo), a variety of shops, a bank and a Cambio about an 18 minute walk from the Villa.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank dael27
Reviewed February 18, 2012

The owners,Mr Arreton and Brenda,made me feel welcome and part of the "Cage" family.
My room with kitchen and a veranda was comfy.I used the pool every day.The staff was very friendly , and when I was eating "in",the food was well cooked and tasty.
It took 1 minute to walk down to West End road,where you have "Pamela´s"fruit and veg.shop,some good restaurants ,like "Canoe´s",with a cute little beach and then on to Negril downtown, and the" Long beach".If you take to the left,there is the cliffs with restaurants and some groceryshops,quite good wineselection.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2012

What really makes Villa La Cage stand out is the owner Mr. Bell. We were treated like guests of the family and made us feel extremely welcome. We were given rides into town and to the beach to save us from having to get a cab, and Mr. Bell was happy to make arrangements for things like fishing and tours to get us the best price.

The accommodations met all my criteria: clean, AC, and most importantly affordable.

The west end is also a great place to stay. Lots of great local bars and restaurants without the hustlers or tourist prices of the 7-mile beach or hip-strip in Mo Bay for example. There's cliffs and some small beaches right down the road, and the 7-mile beach is a 30 minute or short cab ride away.

I highly recommend the Villa La Cage, especially if its your first time to the island.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ankar S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Golden Sunset Hotel
#43 of 80 in Negril
Waterloo Guest House
Waterloo Guest House
#2 of 3 in Black River

Been to Villa La Cage? Share your experiences!