“A Complete Con Stay Away!”

Stanley's Deep Sea Fishing
Ranked #16 of 59 things to do in Negril
More attraction details
Owner description: Off shore fishing. 1/2, 3/4 And Full day Charters. 1/2 Day charter sharing available. Scuba Diving including PADI certification. Sunset Cruises. Snorkeling and Glass bottom boat trips.
Reviewed August 2, 2007

A group of us booked a full day fishing charter with Stanley. We pre-paid through the rep at our resort, so it came as a big surprise when we boarded the boat and then were asked for more money before setting off. We paid as we had no choice. Then for the full day of 'fishing' the captain avoided likely spots for catching fish and seemed to do all he could to stop us catching a fish. A few examples are, 1) where birds could be seen flying and diving for fish (something the captain told us to look for) he would steer away from the area, 2) No chum was used at all, 3) When we did get a bite the first mate would take the rod and after a few minutes of him trying to land the fish the fish would no longer be on the line. The only positive thing I can say about this trip was that the food and drink were plentiful, this was a good job otherwise we would have had nothing else to do all day. Once we got back to our hotel we spoke to another fishing operator and told him of our experience, the person told us that it must have been because Stanley had reached his quota (if that was the case then why take the money in the first place). My advice would be to book with someone other than Stanley.

16  Thank m_a_lord
CWinds, Owner at Stanley's Deep Sea Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2007

am writing in response to the post written by M A Lord.
I would like to explain that when you reserve the boat for 6 persons and show up with extra people they have to pay too. The cost is per person.

The birds the guest is refering too were in shallow waters on a fish trap set by local fisherman. It is impossible to fish for them in this type of shallow waters.
We only "chum" when we are in an area in which it would be productive to do so. For example around a log or other debris with fish underneath it. You cannot simply chum the whole ocean.

The mate will often take the rod and try to "set" the hook before we hand it to the guest to reel in. This usually cuts down the number of fish that get off the hook. Obviously sometimes they get off anyway!

As for the comment about reaching our quota. I have no idea why anyone here would even refer to a quota or know what one is. We have no fishing restrictions here in Negril at all as far as catch quantity or size.

We always try our best to make sure all our guests have a great time out on our charters. This is not always possible. Please read the other positive reviews on this site and visit our website for more information about our charters.

Reviewed July 16, 2007

I have been on two trips with Stanley, Jack and Courtney in Juli 2007 and I can only say it was the best fishing i have ever done.
Those guys are realy frendly and know what they are dooing.
Everyone who goes to Jamaica/ Negril should book a trip with them. Capt. Stanley has the best boat and gear in Negril.
Thanks again for a great time.

Laurens, The Netherlands.

5  Thank Laurens77
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I have hesitated about writing this review. Our visit to Jamaica was in May, 2006.

Negril, Jamaica isTHE best kept secret insofar as a vacation spot. If too many people discover this laid back paradise, the beauty would soon become diluted.

The next "Best Kept Secret" is a fishing trip with Captain Stanley and his able crew.

I will not enumerate, but this is not my first fishing trip on the "Changing Tides". But I will admit that I finally understand the difference between "Fishing" and "Catching".

Without elaborating, I will firmly sate that:

1.) I will return to Negril, Jamaica (hopefully Fall, 2006)

2.) I would never consider a trip to Negril complete without a day fishing with Captain Stanley and his crew.

3.) If, because of this review, Negril becomes too "popular", I retract everything I just said.

15  Thank Marie_Kurt_Olcheski
Reviewed February 6, 2006

Returned from Jamaica yesterday and had to write this review for Stanley's Fishing charter in Negril. I booked a half day trip on February the 5th and was picked up by the captain himself promptly at 6:45am in the lobby of our resort. He drove us to the beach where the boat was anchored. A quick run from shore on the zodiac and we were aboard the 32' sportfisher where Stanley introduced us to the 1st mate and went over all the safety gear and equipment as well as the fishing setup, drag settings and at what speeds we would troll. I must also say the seas were a choppy 3-4' and both the captain and the boat made it a non-factor.

We started our troll 100 yards off the beach and headed out about a mile where the ledge drops to over 1400 feet. With eight lines out and no teasers, about 40 minutes into the trip, a 180-200lb. Blue marlin slammed a lure and the 45 minute fight was on. Shortly there after, another marlin was bearing down. I was so tired from the first one, I almost didn't want it to hit the lure...

First rate captain, with a 1st mate that knows right where to be at all times. The boat and it's twin diesels never missed a beat. No exhaust smoke, pleanty of fresh drinks in the cooler provided by Stanely. And although you are to bring your own food. He even had some snacks. Penn International 30 & 50W gold reels. And a tag and release captain. Class act all the way around.

Great Service, Great memories. Thanks Stanley, we'll be back next year.

33  Thank Cobbster
Reviewed January 22, 2006

What a great outfit! We went out with Stanley on Monday, 1/16 for a morning trip. We were picked up promptly at our hotel as promised. Stanley is a very gracious host. Roger, his assistant, was wonderful as well. The boat was very clean with new, well maintained equipment. They are true professionals and have your safety in mind at all times. In our opinion, this is the only fishing charter you should consider in Negril. We would absolutely do business with them again!

16  Thank krisleah001