“Worst fishing charter I have ever been on!”

Stanley's Deep Sea Fishing
Ranked #16 of 58 things to do in Negril
More attraction details
Owner description: Off shore fishing. 1/2, 3/4 And Full day Charters. 1/2 Day charter sharing available. Scuba Diving including PADI certification. Sunset Cruises. Snorkeling and Glass bottom boat trips.
Commerce Township, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worst fishing charter I have ever been on!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My family and I went on the trip to Jamaica and stayed at the Riu Tropical Bay in Negril. We spoke with a travel agent at the resort and she set my uncle and I up to fish with Stanley's on March 14th. We woke up at 6am and the driver picked us up a half hour late. We then got to Stanley's and had to wait another half hour just to get on the boat. We were supposed to fish for close to 5 hours but it ended up being about only 3 because of all the time that was wasted away by waiting around. We then got on the boat and the deckhand put the lines down shortly after we got away from shore. He claimed it was close to 1000 feet not far from shore, but these guys had no idea what they were talking about. They did not even use down riggers and the lures that they used were bouncing on top of the water about 40 feet behind the boat. I don't know about anyone else, but I have never seen anyone catch a fish with a topwater bait on the open ocean. This fishing charter was a joke and I couldn't even call it a fishing charter...more like a napping charter. My uncle and I slept in the cabin for about two and a half out of the three hours we fished. There were 7 people on board and not one of us caught a fish. We did not have anything hit the topwater bait and no one even got out of their chairs to touch a rod and reel. I could not believe the amount of carelessness that the people operating the boat had as well. It did not seem like they were trying to catch any fish at all. Once they had your money, there was no incentive to try and catch any fish. Their depth finder and fish finder were "broken" as well. This charter was by far the worst fishing trip
I have ever been on and I will never fish with Stanley's again. I have never been skunked on a fishing trip in the ocean before, and if you want to go deep sea fishing but not catch anything then I guess Stanley's would be a good choice! ABSOLUTE JOKE! I paid $140 for a 3 hour nap. I could have done that on the beach in a chair for free!

5 Thank Weston7876

• Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“EXCELLENT Trip, highly recommended”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I normally do not write reveiws, but I saw a few negatives, so wanted to reply with my experience. We went on a trip just this past week, Tuesday, March 11, 2014, on the larger boat, Head First.

I have been on many charter fishing trips around the world, so I know what to expect. This was my girlfriends first time on a trip like this.
Everything about this trip was great. We were picked up right on time, the mate and the captain were great guys (I sure wish I could remember their names). We had a great trip, caught 5 tuna and 3 mahi on the 4 hour trip. Which is a lot, for only 2 people. I highly recommend them, I can not say a single bad thing about this trip. If you are hesitating booking anything because of a few bad reviews, do not even think twice about it. Most of the bad reviews appear to be from people who are not experienced at all.

I want to thank you guys for making it a great trip for us.

3 Thank Matt N
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Stanley the man!!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great experience renting a boat and watching the sunset on the beach with the dolphins swimming in the background. I would highly recommend this to anyone staying nearby and looking for some fun on the beach action.

Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charter Fishing”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I went charter fishing with Stanley's Deep Sea fishing on January 31 2014. I had an awesome time. I was with a couple from Russia. The guides were wonderful. We trolled to a spot where there was a capsized boat. We caught lots of fish. The guide was so helpful and polite. I really wished I remembered his name. We talked about Jamaica and he explained a lot of things to me. I would like to give a special thanks to him and my captain. If anyone knows who the captain and the guide was I would like to know. I would definately use Stanley's again.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lonnie S
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“No Fishfinder on board, no fish.”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Went with Stanley's because on the phone they said they use all modern equipment.

After 2 hours with not a single bite, I asked the first mate if they use a fish finder. He said theirs is broken and they can't get in touch with the guy who fixes it. I then went up top and asked the captain the same question, and he said they never use fish finders. Pretty clear that at least one of those stories were untrue.

Needless to say, we caught no fish. about half of the lures were cruising on the surface about 25 feet behind the boat. I've been fishing for 25 years and have never caught a fish when the lure is bouncing on the water surface 25 feet behind the boat.

They also said we'd be going about 8 miles offshore, but we never went more than 3 miles offshore.

Visited November 2013