“Awesome!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Negril
NJ
“Awesome!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

First time in Jamaica, May 23-30. The people there make the trip worth it, from the bus driver (Richard) to the creepy crawlers on the edges of the resort (Henry) LOL, dont worry he's cool.. Hotel is very nicely kept, first couple of days were amazing, just being in Jamaica and the redstripes, i mean sun. Hotel gets old after a while, 5 days should be plenty of time for a good vacation. I guess you have to be lucky, We didnt have or heard a lot of the bad things that seem to happen to others. Check in/check out was smooth and fast. AC was cool, some days it was just very hot and humid out, cant expect the AC to keep you frosty, but it was fine, trust me I can't stand being hot. Lots of stuff to eat, restaurants have almost the same things as the buffets. Beach was cool, but it is a man made beach, bit murky, cant really see the bottom... went to margaritaville, the beach there looks amazing, way better, so if your there for the beach as advertized, go further south. Bars at every turn, some of the bartenders are pretty damn cool, Ruen, Roydel, Garry.. Entertainment questionable, some shows were just boring, celine dion? beach party was cool, water aerobics was funny... what can I say pool bar opens at 10am, aerobics 12p. Club was cool, nice layout, but the DJ plays the same thing every night! Ask the locals were the happening place is for that night if you want to get out of the resort, margaritaville and the jungle are the top spot for tourists alfreds, roots, other places but make sure you leave the resort a couple of times and you wont be bored, not that dangerous in negril, they just want your money all the time. I dont believe they drain their sewage into the beach, but it looks like they do... probably just filter rain water or something, I didnt want to know then or now. but it smells if your beach chair is 10-15 feet next to these rocks, i read someone say it smelled like cats, i saw 4-5 cats hanging out by casino every other night. We had a great time! no issues, just the day before we left our toilet backed up, but we called the front desk a couple of times, just to make sure and someone came and took care of it, someone came in the morning next day to make sure it was still working. Nice good people and fun in the sun! Will definately be back to Jamaica, but not same resort, been there done that, not that it was bad.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lee's Summit, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

We had a great time while at the Riu Negril. So here is what I thought of everything I experienced while there. We were there May 13 to May 20 2009.

Location: If you like very little waves and seeing lights on the other side while look out from the beach then this would be good for you. I personally felt like I was on a lake though. When I look off from a beach I like to see nothing but water or a few islands dotting the horizon, but that is just a personal preference. It was a very peaceful area except for an occasional jet ski. It was also a pretty location. The distance to town for shopping and such was an additional 5 to 10 mins (by taxi) then if you are on 7 Mile, so not to bad.

Beach: Beach was very pretty lots of palm trees for shade or lots of sun if you want. We did a little of both. The sand is a little coarser then 7 mile but still not too bad. What I really like was if you want to hang out with the crowd you can go to the middle and South end. If you want to hang out where it was a little more quite you can go to the North end by the fish sanctuary. This was another plus for the beach. It was very cool to be able to walk around in the water and see marine life. We brought our own beach towels and never used the hotel towels. We also brought some see through air rafts with us and floated around at the fish sanctuary and looked right through the pillow section and saw all sorts of things. It was like have water goggles on.

Resort: Resort was very pretty with lot of tropical plants. All the restaurants we went to were nice. The pools were very clean. Although we were setting at one of the tables in the pool and my foot hit one of the under water lights and it came out of the wall and floated to the surface. I don’t think they even use the lights though, I never did see the pools lit up at night. The other thing about the pool is the fact it closes at 6PM. We like to swim at night sometimes and thought 6PM was a little early to close the pool.
The shows (the ones we saw) we okay, at least they were entertaining for the most part and the entertainers do work hard at it. The lobby was beautiful. The public use bathrooms, oops I mean water closets as they call them were clean. One thing we did not realize until we were there a couple of days is that there are 2 gift shops. If you are looking straight at the reception desk around the corners, there is one to the left and one to the right. We liked the one to the left had more selection and you could buy snacks, headache and cold relief medication. I think they could have had a better layout of the hotel. There are 4 building for guest to stay in. They have the main part of the resort all at one end and guest rooms on the other end. I think they should of had 2 building for the guest room on both sides of the main resort area. We did go to the disco about 3 or 4 times and it wasn’t too bad. They play multi-cultural dance music leaning a little toward American music. We had fun most of the times we went.

Rooms: We were in room 2155 on the second floor of building #2. Room was very roomy. Had a four bottle liquor dispenser fridge, hair dryer, nice size restroom and ample space to put your clothes away. We even had room left over for you suit case to go in the closet. We also brought an over the door shoe holder to put all the little stuff in, it was very handy. We hung it on the restroom door. Room was kept nice and clean. One day we forgot to take of the do not disturb sign so it wasn’t clean when we return late in the afternoon. Housekeeping called us about 7PM and asked if we wanted it clean and came up while we were out for dinner and cleaned it. We tip them every day. If you have a room that is on the end of the U of the building ask for a corner room. They have way more circulation on the balcony then the others. The others have solid walls dividing the balconies. Okay my biggest complaint of the entire place is the A/C in the room it barely kept the room cool. Now we did have one day when it rained and cooled off into the 60’s outside and the room actually got cold. I’m sure they are trying to save some money with an energy management system but come on. At times we were sweating in the room. It didn’t remove the humidity from the room very well. The bed is my other complaint on the room. Not that it was hard but had a big dip in the middle of the bed.

Restaurants: Green Island, Shadows and Luigis were all about the same. I had stuff that was really good and stuff that wasn’t. It was about average all together for buffet style food. Seem like anything chicken was really good. Food temperatures were good and I never left hungry. I even tried some things I have never had like octopus, curried goat and ox tail stew. Curried goat was my favorite of those. Get there fairly earlier as it seems about half way through service if they run out they do not replace it. We did try the one of the specialty restaurants one night. We opted for Shadow steak house. Big mistake!!! Service is very slow. They lost our ticket and we got our food about the time everyone else was finishing their meals. I had the pork chops and my girlfriend had the shrimp. The pork chop was a little tough and half the shrimp were burnt. I would have been happier with the buffet.

Summary: This is our 3rd trip to Jamaica and our 2nd to Negril. Our 1st stay in Negril was on 7 mile beach and it was a fantastic time and wonderful beach. If you like doing long walks on the beach then 7 mile is the best for that. I am glad to have experienced Bloody Bay but probably will not return to it. The RIU was a good experience overall and we had a great time while there. For me the location is not what I typical would desire for a beach and ocean view. So while we will be back to Negril we won’t be back to the RIU Negril. I think every should experience it just because it is a little different, so with that said I think a one time visit to the RIU would be a fun and wonderful time. Overall I would give the RIU 3.5 stars.

Excursions: We did the Rick’s Café cruise from Scuba Caribe at the shack at the far end of the beach. This was a very fun thing to do. We also went to Rockland Bird Sanctuary. My girlfriend absolutely loves birds, but I didn’t think much of the idea. I was pleasantly surprise. It was pretty cool watching the hummingbird come and land on her finger and drink from the little bottle she was holding. Finches were also eating from her lap where they had placed bird see. Plus it was a drive up a mountain which was fun but VERY bumpy as you got closer to the sanctuary,

If you would like to see more pictures got to this link: http://travel.webshots.com/album/572479547fTkYTX

5 Thank scomar
ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

I visted this resort for 3 nights in March 2009. I decided to return again for 6 nights from May 21-27.

I like to use Clive's Transport Service when visiting Jamaica. Use google to find the website or visit http://www.clivestransportservicejamaica.com. They are a great company and do an awesome job. I have used them 4 times. You can opt for a regular transfer or guaranteed private transfer. Each time I have paid for the Regular (Shared) transfer but received private as they have many cars/vans to accomodate people. It was a great ride and is much faster than taking a coach bus, especially when the roads are busy. It took just over an hour each way. The "shared" transfer is $20 each way per person. If you have 3 or 4 people, a private transfer might be cheaper. You can make reservations on the website and they will send you a confirmation email. You pay the driver when in Jamaica. When making the reservation, we checked off that we wanted the Prepaid cell phone for $20. What a great deal that was. Someone that works for Clive's will meet you at the airport with a sign saying CLIVES TRANSPORT. That person will then give you the prepaid cell phone. The cell has free incoming calls (even long distance) and free text messages. You can also use 4 minutes of calling long distance or around 10 mins of local calls. I would use this company even when I book a package with a tour operator.

Check-in went smoothly. Stayed in Block 1, Floor 2 (Room 1148). Great oceanview/beachfront room!

Had no problems at all with the resort. I saw the security guy every night, even at 5am. I felt safe. Although I did not know about the robberies until returning home and reading the reviews. I locked my sliding door in my room and made sure it was locked at all times when I was not on the balcony.

The food was good, always found something to eat. The drinks were great, not watered down at all. Ask the bartenders to make you their "special". Each bartender has their own special, all equally delicious.

The air conditioning worked perfectly. Many times we had to turn it up as it was too cold. Make sure the red switch by the door with RIU on it is switched on. When it is switched off, the power in the room is shut off and is probably why some rooms are very hot. The maids tend to switch it off to conserve energy. There is also a ceiling fan.

The staff at the resort are awesome (the entertainment staff and the bartenders especially). We did not receive towels one day, called down and received a bunch within minutes. Our bar was restocked when necessary.

As for the disco on the resort, it is a good place to go for a drink before you go out in town. I dont know how people can say there is nothing to do at night; there are tons of places to go. We went every night. Every night there is a different bar you could go to. The Jungle and Alfred's Beach Party were my favs. The Jungle is great on Thursdays (Ladies Night - Free admission) or Saturdays. Alfred's is good Fridays and Tuesdays. There are others options as well. Ask the bartenders where is good to go out. Cabs to the Jungle or Alfreds run about $10 each way but you can split this with a few people.

There is also a local craft market you can visit to do some shopping, the hotel can arrange a cab for you. Approx $10 each way again.

There were many weddings going on the week I was there. There were a few groups of 40 + people and everyone seemed very satisfied.

There are computers you can pay to use the internet on. WiFi is also available in the lobby . If you have your laptop or iTouch, etc you can connect for free.

This is my second time back to the resort, and I had a great time. I have been to Riu's before and other 4-5* resorts and love this resort. I am a travel agent, and have not had any problems from any clients I have sent to this resort in the past.

You will have a great time at the Riu and in town if you go with an open mind!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
birmingham uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

We stayed at the hotel 12th to 26th of May. Firstly I want to talk about some of the comments previously, positive and negative, give my thoughts, then add a few more comments.
Firstly, we were in block 1, and had no problem with security, although I gather most problems occurred in other blocks (see my comment about our block later in the review).
We were very wary about being pestered with drugs, we were asked once!!!! so not anywhere near as much a problem as has been mentioned before.
ROOMS, were ok, but did smell VERY fousty, although the smell did go after a few days, or we just got used to it!
ENTERTAINMENT, definately holiday camp style, far too repetitve, shows a bit tacky and amaturish, but they do try really hard.
The pool DOES have towels all over the sunbeds,saving them, which is very frustrating, but I guess its just a fact of life its going to happen now. The BEACH was pretty poor, by that I mean the sand, i've seen better sand on the med, although the sea is crystal clear and lovely and warm.
FOOD......... just ok, very sporadic, by that I mean some mornings they run out of bread for toast, some mornings no butter. Lunch snacks were good in Shaddows, but evening meal pretty repetitive, if it was'nt for the steaks and chicken, pork etc, they do every night i'd have struggled! YES the other restaraunts were a pain, having to queue from 8am was a bit silly. We only tried two, as we wer'nt too keen on the menu in St Andrews, but we found them both pretty good (The Steak house and Luigi's).
RICK'S CAFE, we were glad we took advice from here and booked through the hut at bottom of hotel rather than tour company. The guys were great, even getting us all singing on way back! Rick's cafe was good, and loved the snorkelling!
TRIPS, we booked 3 but only did 2, because we were going to do the black river safari, but it was cancelled with flooding. I've already mentioned the Rick's cafe one, the other we did was the Grand Ocho Rios ( shopping and Dunns river falls). The latter was great, but boy, did they drag the day out!!! Be warned you'll stop for lunch, which was $15 each, we declined and waited on the coach with a few other folks, we wer'nt told about money for lunch beforehand, but a snack would have done, instead of a 3 course meal. WE spent ages shopping, and then to top it all we were dropped at the airport for 30 minutes while the driver went off and filled tank up (even though he put fuel in when other folks went for lunch)!!! Speaking to a few other folks, this seems to be the norm, so, we left at 8 am and arrived back at hotel at 7.30pm, tooooo long!
TIPS, yes you need to tip a bit, but don't need to go over the top, a dollar here and there is ok, but outside the hotel folks expect to be tipped for anything and everyhing, which can get a bit annoying.
AIRCON, whats the problem????? Our room was fine, and it had a setting to adjust.
ANYWAY back to the story about the room. I emailed a few weeks ago requesting a room in blocks 1 or 2, explaing holiday was a special birthday for my wife, and we didnt want other blocks as we'd read reviews. We recieved an email back saying no problem a room in block 2 is reserved for you. On arrival, at 8pm, were given a key to a room in block 4!!!! WE told the guy on the desk, a German guy with ginger hair, but he was totally disinterested saying come back in the morning and he'd sort it for us!!! I went straight up to the main desk, and after some persuation were found the room in block 1 straight away. To be fair, apart from that, which was'nt a good start, the rest of holiday service was ok.
ANOTHER thing though, the noise in the blocks at night!!!! Very inconsiderate guests could'nt gently close doors, for some reason they had to let them slam shut, which in a corridor with no carpets isnt good!!! This was going on all night, up to about 3.00ish once nightclub closed. To top it all at 8am the cleaners started, and believe me there not quiet either!!!! So dont expect too much sleep at night.
Overall, i'd say the hotel was a fairly good standard, although did need a lick of paint here and there. Absolutely nothing to do at night, expect to be totally isolated within the hotel, as its in the middle of nowhere!!!

1 Thank brummiewolves
Baltimore, Mayrland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

I went to this hotel last year same time! They have changed some things. The air conditioner in the rooms don't work well at all. Last year, you could control the air flow, this year you cannot. The first room they sent me to was unbearably hot so I had them switch me to another room. It was a little better but not much.
I raved about the Bob Marley shots to my friends and was told by the bartenders that they have ceased to make these shots. Bummer!
The food was a lot better last year. The liquor was watered down a lot more this year.
If it were not for me meeting someone who works there, I would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

We booked our holiday to the Riu with Thompson uk, arrival was fine and after a 2 hour coach trip from MBJ airport, check in to the hotel was easy, we were shown to our room (block 3 - 3130) Our room was ok,but nothing special.
At the welcome meeting we were warned about muggings, and told if anyone knocks on our room door not to open it. We found this a bit off putting.
Our first week was fine, we found everything was just ok, again nothing special, the staff were friendly, and the siging bar man at the welcome bar was very entertaining.
We were looking for a relaxing time, chilling out on the beach, which we did, however the beach sand was quite pebbley, but we still enjoyed it.
The evening entertainment is very much holiday camp style, lots of shouting and screaming which was not for us.
Our second week was not so good as we had problems with bath towels, and mini bar re-stocks took 4 days.
We had been told by other holiday makers that some people had been robbed during our first week, this put us on our guard so we could not really relax, we became aware of non-holiday makers, (no AI bands) walking the path from the entertainment area along to blocks 3 and 4, the lighting is very poor in that area at night, and with no security it became quite intimidating when we encountered a very large Jamacian with what appeared to be a pick axe handle. We report this to reception, but this was totally dismissed by them! and no action was taking to increase the security.

On our last evening we were preparing to go out for our last evening meal when our door was shaked violently and a voice was shouting open this door right now, get it open, we quickly locked the door and called reception requesting security, 2 hours passed and no security came to our room.
We were really shaken up by this, and when we again went to reception and asked why no one had bothered to come to our room to check we were ok they said they were to busy !!! to top that, 2 other rooms were robbed in our block, just after our event. So if they had acted on our call the other robberies could have been avoided.

This totally ruined our holiday, we expect to feel secure and be able to relax when on holiday, but with the lack of security and could not careless attiude of the staff, we felt extremely exposed. When we reported these events to our rep, we were told that these muggings and robberies had been going on for about 6 weeks, so why has the securlty not been increased in blocks 3 and 4 !!!!!!!
We have also been to the Gran Bahia in runaway bay in 2008, there was a very visual security presence there, and no robberies.

We would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and will not be staying there again, our any other RIU hotels.

2 Thank Kayjo100
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

Me and my husband stayed at Riu Negril for 2 weeks and had a fantastic time.

When we arrived we were quickly checked in and shown to our rooms which were the same as the other rooms in the riu hotels we've stayed in before so we knew what we were getting! (good, clean and spacious!!!!!)

We spent the whole of our holiday laying by the pool (we're lazy) which was clean and well kept. Look out for Garfield the glass collector he's great! Respect!!!!!!!

Food was great too, plenty of choice for everyone! Don't forget your in Jamaica and not at home they don't eat the same things as us!!!!!!!! Try the curried goat it's really tasty!!!!
If you want to eat in the a la carte restaurants make sure you get up early to book a table because the queues are long!!!! Shadows steak house was nice, but too much salt on my steak! Sir Andrews is nice if you like fish and the Brazillian wasn't what we expected but that was just our opinion!!!!!!

Bar staff were very happy to serve you and never had to wait! Look out for Paul the Singer in the Lobby bar! great entertainment!!!!!

The entertainment was fantastic, day and night and some of the best we have seen at any Riu Resorts! Look out for Mad Head aka Devon! He's a nutter and you can't miss him. The man is a Legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall we had a fantastic time, so ignore the negative reviews as long as you remember you are on your holiday and not at home you can't go wrong!!!!!
Stop Moaning and Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Thank Nicola B