“My 30th in Jamaica was a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 6, 2004

My sister and i stayed at the Riu for 5 nights and 6 days Arriving on November 11 and departing on November 16th and this wasn't long enough. As soon as we go off the bus we were greeted by hotel employes and was offered drinks, nothing heavy at first, fresh and fruity. i loved the fact that Jamaicans are so upbeat despite normal living conditions. Everthing was, NO PROBLEM, MON! I would have never thought i would meet so many people of a different origin, that was cool. The Carribean Sea is one of the most beautiful wonders in the world, though i haven't seen much, this I'm sure it's the best.
The water was sooo clean! The food was the BOMB! I love curry and jerk anything, it was so good. On my birthday Nov.13, We were escorted to The Jungle, a club neighboring the resort, which was a 5 to 10 minute ride and it was awesome!!! It kinda reminded me of home the music was a very good mix, reggae and R&b and Hip Hop.

I recommend anyone staying in jamaica, stay at the Clubhotel Riu Negril everting was cris!!!

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Negril

Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 2, 2004

We just got back from 5 days/4 nights at the Riu Negril (11/26/04 to 11/30/04), and I must say that we had a great, relaxing time.

The Hotel: The lobby was beautiful and the grounds were very nice and well kept. We had no problems checking in and were put in room 2012.

The People: Everyone in the staff that we met were very friendly and respectful. We are their livelihood and you can tell that they take their jobs seriously but friendly and always with a smile.

Tipping: Honestly, I did not feel the need to tip while we were there and we still were treated very nicely. Sure we tipped the bellman (like we always do) and the maid (like we always do) but I did not feel like I needed to or had to tip every bartender or slip the receptionist in the lobby a couple of bills so that I get better service during the time we were there.

The Room: The room was very nicely decorated. Minibar was well stocked. We had a ground floor room but had no problems with bugs or other critters wanting to stay with us. Walking out the door of our building put us right at the beach bar. The only complaint I have about the rooms/buildings is the echo!! I do not know how a person would be able to sleep past 8:00 because of the noise of all the people walking and talking in the hallway. And two of our nights I was woken up by the echo and noise of people being loud while coming back to their rooms probably after closing the club or the last bar. We never had a problem with towels or with our maid service, and we did not tip her until the day we left.

The Food: We had no complaints about the food during our stay. The buffet at dinner time was a little crowded, and yes, when you have that many people trying to get to the same food, people get nudged and shoved a little, but it was not a problem. The only specialty restaurant we ate at was the steakhouse and it was very good.

The Drinks/Bars: Well we made sure to hit every bar at the place so that we could give a fair assessment. The drinks were wonderful! We have stayed at other all-inclusive places where the drinks were horrible and used liquor that was under the bottom shelf. But here, the drinks were always good. We were definitely glad that we took along our insulated cups since the cups they use are quite small.

The Beach/Pool: I do not know what everyone complains about. Sure, the beach is not the quality of some places, but it was very nice. And if the pebbles in the sand hurt your feet, then put on flip flops or water shoes like I did. The palm trees on the beach made it so nice just to sit back and relax all day. The water was not murky and gross like some people complain about and it was not pristine and crystal clear either. But I can tell you that it is a lot nicer than some beaches I have seen here in the U.S. We had no problems getting a chair or a good spot on the beach the entire time we were there. It seemed to us that the pool area was more full and did have to scout for the two last chairs, but if we would not have found chairs there, we would have just head down to the beach…..there are other alternatives to just complaining about it!!

All in all, we had a great time and came back very relaxed and with a nice tan (since it was mid-80s and sunny the entire time – no rain!!!).

I would definitely go back and definitely recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2004

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 19, 2004

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!