I stayed at the Riu Negril in August 2014 and had an incredible time... Where to start...
If you are looking for a relaxed holiday, with both entertainment for either couples or families, then this is definitely for you.
We stayed for a week and did a number of excursions which included the Black River, YS Falls, Appleton Rum Factory, Ricks Cafe, Snorkelling and Zip-lining.
We book most of the excursions away from our travel rep as we found the excursions cheaper elsewhere.
BEACH: The hotel in bloody bay has an exquisite beach that is worth spending some time on whether you would just like to relax or to join in a game or two of volleyball.
SHOPPING: We visited Times Square shopping centre as well as the stores locals had set up near the hotel. You are able to haggle which is quite fun to do - I must say. However what was pleasant was that both my girlfriend and myself did not experience any annoyance from the local shop sellers to buy things, though they may invite you into their shops.
SINGING BARTENDER (Paul): Many individuals who have written reviews on trip advisor have already mentioned Paul, Riu's own singing bartender. He really is an asset to the team, he has a true passion for singing and you are able to hear him sing between 7pm and 10pm in the evenings. - Occasionally I would get a drink and just sit and listen to him sing.
A LA CARTE Restaurants: Both my girlfriend and I spent the majority of the evenings making the most of the a la carte restaurants (St Andrews - Gourmet, Luigi's - italian, and the Steakhouse). The steak at the steakhouse was delightful. There a a generous amount of starters that come for your dinner so try not to overload! St Andrews restaurant was also very nice, the seafood starter was my favourite dish. In the italian I tried both the Pork and the Beef main - I recommend both of these too. (The main buffet is also a nice and popular choice for many, though out of personal choice, I enjoyed venturing to the A La Cartes)
SPA - The spa is also relaxing. We were fortunate to be given a discount from the spa therapists who walk around the pools. I was sunburnt and before my massage therapy they applied aloe vera to my neck and shoulders. We also had the back head and shoulder 40 minute massage (as a couple). The therapists were very professional. My massaging experience was limited by my own doing ( I was sunburnt ) so I had to have a sensitive massage.
Check in and Check out: Check in was fast and a member of the hotel staff was quick at bringing our bags to the room. Check out was slightly slower however we managed to queue jump as our coach arrived and we had to go.
The entertainment team at the hotel are incredible, they work extremely hard! This includes (Spotlight, Angel eyes, Shadrick, Fire and the rest of whom I may have missed)! They do give you an insight into the Jamaican way of life and they do their upmost to ensure that you have a positive holiday. The entertainment team are both great at working with children to adults and run a variety of activities and accommodate for changes in the weather! 5* entertainment team!
ROOMS - Absolutely lovely, we had, Gin, Rum, Vodka and Whisky in bottles in our room which we could drink and they would be replaces. Beers, cokes, Fanta, water and other drinks were also provided in the room fridge. We stayed in Block 1.. Block 2 would have also been fine. Blocks 3 and 4 is quite a walk from the restaurants and main reception area and pools.
The hotel looks well maintained and staff clean the pools, paths and beach daily and continue to do so throughout the day.
Should you be concerned about weed? No the locals may offer it to you there... if you choose to 'play with fire' and want to smoke it, it is at your own risk. If the locals offer it to you, which you are likely to experience at least once, quite simply say, no thanks :)
If you are thinking between the riu negril and riu tropical, if I were you... choose the negril!
- Speak to the bar staff and the individuals who take you on their excursions about their culture
- It would be great if the hotel gave feedback to each of the reviews holiday makers leave on trip advisor
- Let go on holiday and go with the Jamaican motif 'no problem' - Jamaicans are, from my experience, very friendly.
- Try and make use of a la carte restaurants and definitely try the jerk chicken which is available down the shack along the beach from 12 midday or occasionally at the main buffet.
- Search for the best prices for excursions, Thomson did seem pricey.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Newly renovated in November 2015 * Located on Jamaica's west coast in Negril * Located on the beach front * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Main building and four 2-story annexes * Surrounded by 45,000 m2 / 56,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 9 km / 5.5 Miles from Negril's West End * 7 km / 4.4 Miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Negril reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Hotel Negril
- Rio Negril
- Riu Negril Jamaica
- Riu Resort All Inclusive Negril