ClubHotel Riu Negril
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Hedonism II(Negril)
5,866 results
All reviewsfish sanctuarysinging barmanjerk chickenentertainment staffricks cafejerk hutswim up barbloody bayevery other dayclub hotela la carte restaurantssand fliesgourmet restaurantmake reservationssea urchinsys fallswater shoes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 7, 2014

General: title of review says it all. There are elements of truth in some of the negative reviews; it just depends on how much these things matter to you. Some trash in the courtyard, missing lamp shade in room, grounds not as manicured as you might expect. A few "feral" friendly cats; the odd crab, etc. Nature does not know to stop at the resort's boundaries, so if you expect that, stay in a hotel in the city. That said, hotel and beach are kept clean; most people are slobs who leave cups, etc. everywhere and the staff do as good a job as possible. Our housekeeper was awesome, even folded our kids clothes, before I tipped her at week's end. Fridge and minibar kept well-stocked, no prob w/AC, though I heard others who did have problems and were moved. Our toilet backed up at 10 pm and was fixed w/in a half hour and we were given new towels, since we used those to clean up. Staff is friendly and helpful and respond to kindness.

Rooms: We had two double beds, asked for a cot thru Orbitz and it was there waiting. Rooms are small. In truth, I've stayed at Holiday Inn express and it has bigger rooms. TV not flat screen and very small. Wear and tear e.g. missing lampshade, broken tile, etc. are little things that don't affect the overall experience, but do count for something when you're paying lots of $$$.

Dining: Food was good and plenty of choices. You can get something to eat 24/7. Beach jerk chicken and sausage is not to be missed. Didn't even bother with the specialty restaurants.

Beach/Pool/Watersports: Beach is more natural with trees and shade going to water's edge. If you want a virgin white sand beach, stay on 7 mile from Hedonism/Beaches on down. Two pools, one w/ swim-up bar. No issues, towel cards issued as standard practice at Riu. Kayak, paddleboat, sailboat all free; snorkel refundable $25 deposit for mask/tube. Snorkeling good off beach-ask for a lifejacket to float unless you are a strong swimmer since best viewing is in 7-10 feel of water out by rope line. We did do a separate snorkel tour, but didn't see much, if less, than off the beach.

Activities: Central beach area has staff-led typical resort activities: water aerobics, volleyball, reggae dance lesson, etc. Didn't do any of them, but full slate if you want. World cup soccer on on big screen in disco. Nightly entertainment.

Bottom line: This resort has everything you want or need, but not the opulence, upkeep or presentation you might expect in an all-inclusive. Have stayed at other Riu's and other chains in the Caribbean that put this place to shame looks-wise; but it provides an equivalent experience. Choice depends on price/availability; this was one of the less expensive options. Conversely, there are much better places for not that much more money.

Room Tip: Stay in buildings 1 or 2. Bldgs. 3 and 4 are a long hike from lobby, pool and restaurants.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
13  Thank Orsini_24
Reviewed July 7, 2014

After reading all the negative comments about this hotel I was a little dubious. After arriving at the hotel I wondered what all the fuss was about.
We stayed in room 2103 only a short walk to the main bar and reception area. We didn't have a sea or pool view but that didn't bother us is the slightest as we didn't intend spending much time in our room. The room was spotless and can't fault it whatsoever. Clean bedding and clean towels our maid Dawnette was brilliant. Fridge stocked daily with beers, water and soft drinks.
As I am a fussy eater I was a little worried after reading some if the negative comments but I needn't have worried as there was a great variety of food to suit everyone.
Paul the singing barman had an amazing voice and also Claudia who also worked In the bar had a good voice too and both went out of their way to help.
The grounds are kept spotless and the pool areas very clean. Clean pool towels daily, and never a problem getting a sun lounger. All in all a great hotel and I would strongly recommend it. I could carry on about the hotel but if you do decide to go you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you have limited walking ask for a room in block one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank korey049
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Clubhotel Riu Negril arriving on 16th June 2014, getting back to England 1st July 2014. Okay so having read reviews before travelling to this hotel I knew that it would be extremely over exaggerated in terms of peoples bad reviews.The purpose of a RIU hotel alone is to provide a 4*+ experience as a whole spectrum from food, to accommodation and customer experience. Some of these reviews are ridiculous and so unnecessary. When booking with First Choice or Thomson you are informed of what to expect by the percentage rating of the food and accommodation. There was something for everyone whether open to try new delicacies or for those that are quite fussy and stick to what they know, the food was available. Excellent standards and food was always fresh. In many reviews below people are moaning about booking into the other restaurants available in the hotel, this is also an exaggeration. Yes you have to book in for these other restaurants 2 days in advance but you can also check for cancellations to see whether you can have a reservation for the same evening. In United Kingdom and also other countries/states I am pretty sure there are restaurants you have to make a reservation for due to popularity and being able to accommodate everyone. Some people cannot be pleased, and everyone has different experiences but the hotel was amazing and so was the service from all members of staff particularly Christine the Thomson Holidays rep situated in the lobby available to book excursions if interested. If you do happen to book excursions, A Splash of Reggae which includes Bob Marley House/Mausoleum and then Dunns River Falls is a must and Dolphin Cove was also incredible as well as 'Southern Adventure with a Tipple' which includes YS Falls and Appleton Rum Factory. The entertainment team are also incredible in encouraging guests to take part in activities throughout the day both on the beach and around the pool and also in the evening when their entertainment programme takes place. A live band plays before and after the evening entertainment programme takes place and entertainment staff will dance with guests seated watching the band which is also nice. Hope this has helped those deciding on whether to go to this hotel as it really is worth it.

Room Tip: We requested block 1 or 2 before travelling which was not situated to far from the restaurants and bar. Both the sea view and garden view rooms are both lovely with lovely views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
20  Thank Bonita0793
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed here April last year and had the best holiday of my life.. Im returning on Friday for 2 weeks again. Not that its a problem but I was just wondering, for those who have just come back is there still lots n lots of crabs around the beach and hotel area?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Victoria W
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I recently returned from a one week stay at the Riu Negril. I am not one to complain; however, my experience was just bad. For starters, the resort was doing renovations. Several workers were doing construction right outside my room. The air conditioner in my room did not work when we first arrived so maintenance had to come fix it. Trying to make reservations for dinner was very impractical. We arrived on Saturday around 5 pm and was told on Sunday morning that we would not be able to get reservations until Tuesday night. I was not pleased with the thought of eating at a buffet for the majority of my stay (considering the price we paid), not to mention they only had two restaurants and the buffet open each evening. I have been to Jamaica previously and was blown away by the friendliness and attentiveness of the people; however, this resort changed my views. There were a few staff members who were very nice and accommodating, but the majority of the staff was rude and did not care if your stay was pleasant. I did complain to the assistant manager (Eaton) who was the worst possible person to have a manager position. He did not accommodate my requests (I wanted a room change so I did not have to deal with the construction going on right off my balcony -I did not want an upgrade...just a room change) and was completely rude. He said he would follow through with us and did not and had another staff member tell me my request could not happen when I went back up to the front desk and asked. One reason I chose to stay at the Riu was because it was supposed to have a very nice beach. I was highly disappointed with the beach. The pool was also very, very DIRTY! There was a film on top of the water and underneath where the swim up bar is located it smelled terrible! After we saw and smelled this pool we did not get back in that water.
After returning home, we found out a friend of ours stayed at a Secrets Resort and paid less than what we paid for the Riu. This blows my mind completely and I can honestly say I will not be returning as well as recommending this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family