“Just a question?”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed here April last year and had the best holiday of my life.. Im returning on Friday for 2 weeks again. Not that its a problem but I was just wondering, for those who have just come back is there still lots n lots of crabs around the beach and hotel area?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Victoria W

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I recently returned from a one week stay at the Riu Negril. I am not one to complain; however, my experience was just bad. For starters, the resort was doing renovations. Several workers were doing construction right outside my room. The air conditioner in my room did not work when we first arrived so maintenance had to come fix it. Trying to make reservations for dinner was very impractical. We arrived on Saturday around 5 pm and was told on Sunday morning that we would not be able to get reservations until Tuesday night. I was not pleased with the thought of eating at a buffet for the majority of my stay (considering the price we paid), not to mention they only had two restaurants and the buffet open each evening. I have been to Jamaica previously and was blown away by the friendliness and attentiveness of the people; however, this resort changed my views. There were a few staff members who were very nice and accommodating, but the majority of the staff was rude and did not care if your stay was pleasant. I did complain to the assistant manager (Eaton) who was the worst possible person to have a manager position. He did not accommodate my requests (I wanted a room change so I did not have to deal with the construction going on right off my balcony -I did not want an upgrade...just a room change) and was completely rude. He said he would follow through with us and did not and had another staff member tell me my request could not happen when I went back up to the front desk and asked. One reason I chose to stay at the Riu was because it was supposed to have a very nice beach. I was highly disappointed with the beach. The pool was also very, very DIRTY! There was a film on top of the water and underneath where the swim up bar is located it smelled terrible! After we saw and smelled this pool we did not get back in that water.
After returning home, we found out a friend of ours stayed at a Secrets Resort and paid less than what we paid for the Riu. This blows my mind completely and I can honestly say I will not be returning as well as recommending this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Matt04675
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My Husband and I have just returned from this holiday booked for 2 weeks on the above date. when we booked this hotel, we did not read the reviews before we booked and when we read the reviews we were very worried! but as soon as we got to the Hotel we loved the place, it was simply beautiful, the whole place is very big, lovely land-scaped gardens. the food was always fresh with lots to choose from, and the rooms big and very clean. we were in the first block, which was near to everything, pools, food, all activities, a word of warning for those who do not walk well, there is no lifts, and accommodation can be very far away and up lots of stairs. The air conditioning does not really work instantly, you have to leave it on all day so that when you do return to the room it is reasonably cool. we had a lovely room attendant/maid who looked after our rooms for us with lots of towel decorations, her name was Melina. there was an incident were i sat in a freshly painted chair that was still damp from paint and it came onto my blouse, which the manager Maria cleaned and returned to me the same day which i was grateful for. All the staff were very friendly and polite, the best time was breakfast as i found the breakfast staff to be extra good. My only gripe is that they had a nightly Disco that started 11.00pm to 2.00pm we went there at least 3 to 4 times, on each occasion the DJ played really rubbish old commercial chart music, really cheesy non Reggae music i really complained to everyone about it as most people come to Jamaica for the Reggae music and we do come from countries that play up to date Reggae music and we are not stuck in the YMCA time zone! which was one of the songs he played! apart from this we really got no real up to date music which if ur a music lover was horrible. apart from this and the over expensive Taxi rates the Taxi charged all visitors we had a great time. we are a very young 40s couple.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank lynch354
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here over Xmas holidays/13. Upon arriving, check-in was good and we had a room with an oceanfront room. I believe it was block 2. Room was great location for Beach but a bit of a walk to everything else. The room was very small. Smaller than most which we found a bit uncomfortable. First night there, we sat on our terrace and drank beers and I was completely bitten by sand fleas. I woke up in the night and counted over 75 bites on the back of my legs. Daily, At dusk, they had someone blowing pesticides out of a little vehicle I'm assuming to help with the bugs. Sand flea bites are a total nuisance as they continue to itch and annoy for a week. I went in the ocean to stop the itch. I had bug anxiety for the rest of the trip.

The food was the best part of the hotel for us. The food was amazing. We love jerk chicken, goat curry and oxtail etc. and this was plentiful here for lunch and dinner. Jerk hut on the beach was always great. Usually it's only chicken. Pork would be nice too. Breakfast was Awesome with fresh exotic fruits like durian, soursop and jackfruit. And stewed prunes with yogurt and of course, the omelette station. There is so much variety here. Service was hit and miss. The women that worked here were mostly miserable. The guys were much better. The ala crates were ok. Many Jamaicans come here on the weekends so they cater to that crowd as well. Hence, the yummy traditional Jamaican food.

The Beach.. Well.. This was the worst we have been to. The water is barely turquoise. And it's all murky and swampy on the bottom. It's gooey and furry. Barely went in. We are beach people so this was very unsatisfactory. Turns out, this beach is man made. As soon as you turn down the beach where the vendors are it gets beautiful. So we left this resort and upgraded to the Riu Palace for our last week.

The vendors all along this beach are very harassing and extremely annoying. They really need to do something about this.

This place was very busy and too crowded for our liking. If you like to party and don't care about a beach then this is a great place for you.

Room Tip: Do the upgrade to the oceanfront room. It's quite nice even though it is small.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tanna28
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed at the Club Hotel Riu Negril for two weeks in May with my husband and we both had an amazing time. This is my fourth time to Jamaica but first to a Riu. We had no complaints - ALL staff go out of their way to help you and work so hard. I am a fussy eater but had no problems in finding something to eat as there was so much choice. Our room was cleaned everyday and we had clean towels. I cannot believe how many negative reviews there are on here especially 'no elevators' ?? There are 3 storey buildings - if you need an elevator then you should surely check this out at the time of booking, and complaints at how far it is to the restaurants? you are on holiday what's the rush. The entertainment team are fantastic, they work really long hours and are so friendly. We cannot wait to return next year :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Kirstie M
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed for 5 days and 4 nights and had a wonderful time. From checking in at the beautiful lobby to checking out was smooth sailing. The grounds were immaculate, room and bathroom was spotless and spacious, and the food and drinks were in abundance and variety. The nightly entertainment was good, and so was the music. The beach and pools were extremely clean with ample chairs all over. The entire STAFF was pleasant and took pleasure in ensuring that each person had a great stay. I hope they're paid well because they are really fabulous! Would definitely visit this place again.

Room Tip: If you would rather not walk too far, even though the walkway is smooth and lined with beautiful tre...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Yawdgirl
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My only complaint is that the beach had a few rocks in the water and seaweed . We were there for a wedding and it was excellent. The food in the buffet was superb . The staff very nice and friendly. We were there on june 4-11th. The weather was hot and it clouded over with rain showers in the afternoon. Jerk chicken on the beach soooooo yummy. I would go back :):):)

Room Tip: We upgraded when we got there to a ocean suite ..way larger rooms :):):)
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank crystalblue999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!