“Lovely resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Lovely resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just got ack from this resort ....was worried before hand because of reviews on this site but so glad I ignored them ...it's a happy clean fun family resort.
Rooms were cleaned daily and mini bar filled 2nd daily.
Food was outstanding and the entertainment varied.
Staff were friendly and will bend over backwards to help you if you ask a question.
I did not see rubbish or sewage on the beach in fact a tractor raked clean twice we were there.
You must try the jerk chicken ar lunchtime on the beach if you like spicy.
The 3 restaurants you have to book extra were great make sure you try them.
If you are a unhappy traveller I'm sure you could always find a problem to complain about (there is always some) but it's really a great value for money resort that I would return to with wider family.
The free water sports are well worth a try ..and the coconut beach party is fun.

Room Tip: We were in block two.. All blocks are by the beach but if you dislike walking or are infirm ask to g...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Susan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

I traveled to Riu Negril with my husband. This resort is of good value for those looking for a budget-friendly getaway. Check-in and check-out were prompt and stress-free, the staff we encountered were friendly. Our room was clean and readied up daily and the mini bar always restocked; the air conditioning was fine for our preferences (not too cold and at times we cut it off to enjoy the beach breeze and sufficed with the ceiling fan...but that's just us). The furniture was a bit outdated but I expected as much for the price that we paid. The bedding was okay for our expectation. We found the food to be par with other budget-friendly resorts throughout the Caribbean that we have discovered, and we were always satisfied. I was nicely surprised with the buffet on a few occasions: lobster tails served one day, and a local fare section on the far right side that always had tasty selections of various authentic Jamaican fare like fish with ackee. I appreciated it for staying at an all-inclusive place. All staff encountered in the dining areas were extremely polite and always with warm smiles. On the topic of food, there is a jerk chicken station on the beach that YOU SHOULD NOT MISS. Keep your eye open around lunch time and get in line! Also on another day there was paella served poolside. My husband and I both enjoyed these things greatly. Although I thought that the property could benefit from some additional sand being added to the beach areas, the snorkeling around the immediate waters around was fantastic. There is a fish sanctuary to the right side of the bay that perhaps lends to the great snorkeling. Many starfish too. The hotel's entertainment staff is amazing. Their energy and upbeat attitude is contagious whether you are just watching from a bar nearby or participating in dancing by the pool or beach. The great effort and hard work that the team puts into their shows is evident and I appreciate people who have such a work ethic. The grounds are well-maintained and clean. Overall a good experience for what we were expecting and for simply wanting to escape to Jamaica for some sun.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank global_latte2
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Great hotel, I'm not a fan of riu hotels but this one is cool, good food, super friendly staff, even singing reggae bartender, small beach, but well organised with grilled chicken - delicious.
the only bad thing was catamaran trip to Rics cafe, the music on boat it is a killer, you expecting some regge but they playing some rubbish techno when half off the people on board is over 40 ( catamaran is the property of that hotel ), really terrible experience.I would like to come back one day to that hotel. But not for the catamaran trip :)

Room Tip: all rooms are good i think
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rafal L
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed with very good friends at this resort 26th May - 9th June 2014.

After reading negative reports including the most recent where the person is saying that they got the wrong RIU, I thought I would respond. The RIU doesn't have beer cans on the resort, so where this comment is coming from that there are beer cans on the beach is a load of tosh!!!! the beach and the grounds were spotless, there is no sewage pumps into the sea, and the beach and grounds are cleaned every morning around 6am, so I have no idea where this person stayed. This is our 2nd visit to this hotel, and on both stays there are no complaints to be made. We didn't expereince any bugs/cockroaches/rats or anything else that crawls. The food was amazing wth many choices, enough to satisfy all taste buds for 2 weeks. The speciality restaurants were excellent, rooms were spotless and perfect, especially having your own bar in your rooms, all staff was so helpful, and no request was too great. The only complaint we had does not reflect on staff or the hotel, it was the noisy youngsters, who were returning from wherever at approx 3am and having no respect for people who was asleep, and shouting to each other across the rooms and down corridors. We was in block 1. The entertainment staff was entertaining, and some of the shows was brilliant. The beach sellers were respectful,m and if you said no thankyou they left you alone, there was no badgering. If you want to take a boat trip out, we had a brilliant time in the glass bottom boat captained by Captain Phillip and it was called seashells, and Terry was the beach seller/crewman. The trip was approx 2 hours, and he took us out snorkelling on the reef which was very colourful, he also told us some history about Jamaica which was interesting. The catermaran trip that we went with Scuba Caribe, we felt was not worth the money, as we saw more fish with the glass bottom boat, but the lobster lunch was excellent. There was 27 people on the Catermaran trip which made it very overcrowded.

We also went to Ricks cafe for sunset photos, however, you can take better sunset photos off the beach, also the drinks etc was very expensive $5 dollars (US) for 1 bottle of Red Stripe. Time Square and Negril are well worth the shopping trip.

The sea was crystal, and nearly every morning we saw Stingrays if you got there early enough approx 8am. There was numerous fish close to the shore, and if you walked to the far right of the beach and takeyour snorkell you will see some amzing fish, including Barracudas, stone fish, Scorpian Fish, and alot of colourful fish.

The Spa is well overpriced but the staff are lovely.

If you want a bit of luxury before your long flight, It is worth paying the additional for the VIP Lounge at Montego Bay Airport. All drinks and food are free, WiFi are free, you can even make a complimentary phone call to a UK Landline.

We will definately be going back to this hotel in the near future, and if you would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Room Tip: Block 1 is closer to all facilites.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
18 Thank Sue T
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one week in May of this year. If you like cockroaches, bugs, no air conditioning and a mouldy smelling room then you wont have a problem. Not only were the rooms a huge letdown the beach was nowhere near as nice as any of the beaches I have vacationed to.

I've stayed in the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, Varadero, and Punta Cana and bloody bay doesn't even come close to these beaches in terms of beauty. The sand quality of the beach was very poor and the grounds are unkept. Be prepared to find broken glass, food, and beer cans scattering the shore. Not only was the beach very poor, it smelled of sewage. Apparently after a certain time each day sewage is pumped from the other resorts into the water. I strongly recommend that you do not swim in this water. After all, isnt the purpose of going on a vacation to enjoy a beautiful beach. This "beach" was definitely far from it.

If you want to go to jamaica please stay on 7 mile beach!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kaia C
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Just like many of you, after reading some reviews of the RIU Negril, I was hesitating if I wanted to book this hotel. I just got back (stayed June 3-10)... I am glad I didn't listen to the reviews and booked this hotel! I get people have their own opinions, but don't paint a picture of RIU Negril like its a dump hole when it's far from it.
Although there have been some reviews about the hotel closing down in august for renovations, we spoke to a worker and he said that he was told that they will not be closing because of the loss of money, so they are fixing Inge little by little (we saw workers chipping away at the outside of one of the building and repairing cracks)
The grounds were always clean, the cleaning ladies do a fantastic job. We always had fresh towels, a fresh clean bed and a cute little towel design on our bed.
The food... Wow. Amazing. I get that everyone has their own opinions on the food. Me, being a picky eater, was VERY pleased. We went to all 3 restaurants (steak house, Italian and gourmet) and to the buffet. The waitresses and waiters are great at what they do. I do not remember the names of the waitress we had at dinner, but she always had our drinks ready when she saw us come in. I have no complaints about the variety, quality, etc. beyond my expectations (based on the reviews).
The bartenders.. So friendly! Paul the singer bartender has an amazing voice and so friendly!
Romeo, Maro and Ruen at the pool swim up bar... The best bartenders ever! I would get an ab work out from laughing so hard with them.
The entertainment staff... By far the most humble, nicest and interactive people I've ever met. Rolly-Polly and Chadrick (star boy) knew exactly what to do and say to make us feel welcome, along with the other entertainment staff (so many of them I can't remember all their names).
The ice breaker show before the actual show were the best. The dancers work very hard and out on good shows.
Yes there are vendors on the beach, but they are not set up on the beach right in front of you chair. Their tents are set up to the left of the beach. Yes they do walk up and down and the beach and ask if you want cigarettes, hair braiding, water floating beds, etc, but you have to understand this is how they make an income. If you simply say "no thank you" they will not hassle you.
Yes they do approach you if you want marijuana. You are in Jamaica. Marijuana is part of their culture. Like I said, if you simply say "no thank you", they will leave you alone.
Over all, the hotel was by far the best hotel all around. I've been travelling to all inclusive resorts for 10 years and the RIU Negril is definitely my favourite.
Thank you to everyone at the RIU Negril for your amazing hospitality!!

Room Tip: Building 2 is where we stayed. Perfect walking distance from everything. Beach is right in front onc...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Cassandra A
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I wanted to let Trip Advisor know that we had the best time! We stayed at Riu Negril in bloody bay and i think it is a perfect place for a big group! The beach just for riu is huge and takes up a large portion of the bay. There are 5 restaurants and the food is the best! There is entertainment every night and there are watersports and pools (one including a swim-up bar) included! We booked through Apple vacations and did the 5 square deal which saved us a few hundred dollars. We didn't know the resort we were going to stay at until the morning we got to the airport and they guarantee at least a 5 star All-inclusive resort. It was good for us but they can't guarantee booking a group together to stay at the same resort.

There really isn't a reason to leave the resort unless there is a place you haven't seen or to go to Ricks cafe, of course! We went on a side trip-mayfield waterfalls that has just recently been made open to the public. I think it was better than dunns river falls and y.s. falls put together! It was just Nick and I and another couple so it felt like our own private tour! We got to walk in the falls and plunge into the pools and swim.

I know it seems like I'm selling the trip (maybe I should look into becoming a travel agent. I can't help it-I get it from my mother!!) but I just thought I'd share while I wait in line to get these bags checked in!

• Stayed May 2014