“Definitely NOT a 4-star hotel”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
McKinney, Texas
“Definitely NOT a 4-star hotel”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just got back from 4 nights at this resort. Food was average, at best. Nothing to rave about there. At times, if you don't get there early enough, the selections are pretty slim. The room is okay. Could use some maintenance in the grouting and fixtures. The staff were very friendly and helpful. One major drawback for me is that there is no elevator in any of the buildings. So make sure you ask for downstairs room if you don't want to tackle the flights of stairs. The beach is packed sand. Again, just average. The entertainment is mediocre. Sad to say we won't be back here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the oceanfront rooms. The view is awesome!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kim1228

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,370)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Slough
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in the most beautiful part of Jamaica. Block one rooms are in perfect walking distance to everything so ask for a room there. We had to move as the aircon was broken but that a problem quickly resolved. The weather is lovely and hot but do expect some tropical storms, which in my opinion is great and something you must see! We did the shopping trip to ricks cafe. Skip out the shopping and the harassment and get Christine (Thomson rep) to help you organise a taxi straight to ricks cafe. The divers are amazing so give them a tip. The views here are simply beautiful so soak up the moment and watch the sunset. We did the trip to Ocho rios to climb Dunn river falls. Again another memory that will stay with me forever. Also don't bother with the shopping here again either, opt to have a rest on the bus. Lunch is in a local cafe which is so tasty! Finally did swimming with dolphins which I highly recommend!!! The hotel food is average all inclusive, you will like something so just eat. The swim up bar is great, plenty of drinks to go around! The beach is steps away, not the best sand in the world but stunning views. Take advantage of doing the watersports. And most importantly enjoy your holiday because you will have a great time! Don't listen to negative reviews!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Kerry N
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Looking for a fun filled vacation- Great staff Excellent food - Great location? Then look no further Riu Negril is the place to be. The white sand beach is awesome . The rooms could used some TLC but overall it ok. There is plenty of things to do or if you chose to relax there are several spots for serenity. Location is close to the West end of the island, where the Negril cliff is located along with some great restaurants. Push cart restaurant is a must try. Awesome food. Jamaica is great place for vacation . Like they say "once you go, you'll know"

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank GAC33
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Took my 2 teen age kids to this resort and we all had a great time! The activity staff was awesome, providing beach or pool parties each day, dancing at night plus leading other activities throughout each day...The food was good, not gourmet, however, very palatable! The Jerk Chicken on the beach was AWESOME! Bloody Bay is not as appealing as 7 Mile beach, but still a very nice area where the water was still calm and almost as translucent as 7 Mile. Overall, this resort is not high end nor low end but lands right in the middle for accommodations, fun and food. Definitely worth a visit!

Room Tip: The resort is laid out with all the restaurants and activities at one end and all the rooms at the o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DebbieSteinNakaerts
Nova Scotia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I travel to all inclusiveness very frequently and am usually pretty easy going with regard to level of service and Quality. For the most part, it is a pretty nice resort but it is dated and they do have renovations planned for the fall.

I have been to 3 Riu resorts in the past 7 months and this was about on par in quality to Riu Bachata in Puerto Plata. I just found the food to be ok... Not bad but not great. The rooms still use a key and not a key card. There is a digital safe but it is mounted on the floor (not a huge deal but a little inconvenient.

I booked an oceanfront room but they bumped me to a suite. The suite is quite nice but was not necessary. When I arrived, I informed them that I had some mobility issues and that a room close to the lobby and main floor was more important than luxury of the room. The room I received was almost the furthest away room they could provide. I normally would never ask to change rooms. I hate packing up and moving after I am settled but with my mobility issues and the fact that all the activities I would participate in were near the lobby, I could not keep that room.

The issue I had was that the front desk staff have a laid back don't worry attitude. It is the speed of Jamaica, I guess but when there is an issue, getting something done in a timely fashion is going to be a monumental task. I was only there for 3 days and my whole first day was tied up getting this sorted out. The staff are reluctant to allow you to talk to a manager and they definitely do not see the urgency to your issue or don't care. They wanted to wait until the next day to switch my room but I told them I could not stay in that room, they agreed to do something that night. They told me to have a seat just off the the side of the front desk and they would have me sorted out in about 10 minutes. On several occasions, I was told by staff it would only be a few minutes but they left me for close to 2 hours waiting and did nothing. I complained and said I wanted to speak to the manager and I was told she was busy and would call me in my room when she was free. The call never came.

I packed my things in the morning and made my way to the front desk where the staff asked how I liked my new room.... Unbelievable... I was about to lose it! After a heated exchange, they agreed to get me an acceptable room. I offered to take the lowest grade room in the hotel as long as it was close. They finally found me a room on the main floor of the first building and I was able to move in mid day of my second day.

I understand my being physically challenged is my issue but I made it clear to them I had the issue. I wasn't looking for anything free... In fact I offered to pay more and take a lesser room just to be closer. The whole issue twisted me up for a while and I was probably a little difficult after that but it is something that could have been rectified very easily. They just did not pay attention to the customer's needs.

For those without any physical challenges, I am sure you would find this resort clean,a little dated but fine.

If I were to return , I would have to make sure the room was sorted out before I leave Canada

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank NovaScotian38
LONDON
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband treated me to this holiday for valentitnes day excellent hotel just sometimes to rowdy with the Americans especially inthe pool bar but apart from that was just brilliant staff were very friendly helpful and kind entertainers good, lovely BBQ onbeach, sea lovely and warm, beach clean ,security always around
Room excellent clean and maid service very good
Food excellent somethingfor everyone

Bus journey from the airport very long and we came in a little mini bus with no air con no room really but OK going home lovely big coach

Thomson rep not good couldn't help me at all too busy really she had too many hotels and guests to cope with
There is nothing really to complain about it was what you made it can't understand why people are so fussy the food was plentiful various different plates of everything there was something for everyone morning noon and night you could never go hungry if there was something specific you wanted they would get it for you within reason all theriu hotels I have stayed in are the same comfortable cool or warm depending on theweatherandthehotel makes you very welcome where ever you are from

Room Tip: nearer reception the rooms are easiernto get too but all rooms not far from complex restaurant s and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KateLazell56
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I just got back from 6 nights at the resort.

FOOD: Below average, mainly due to the fact that if you went to breakfast around 9 they had close to no food left and werent putting out more. They would start with 6 trays of pastrys and when empty they take them away and dont replace them. By 9 there was nothing left. The steak from the steakhouse was not edible, it was the toughest steak i have ever had. The gourmet restaurant was good, luigis was ok as well. The reservation system is beyond absurd

DRINKS: Overall very good. My girlfriend ordered the same drink several times and got something totally different each time. They need to work on learning more of what their making. The pool bar is hard to sit at due to the bad smell and watching all the bugs fly around everything was a turnoff

ROOM: Average. Definitely needs updating. Our toilet flooded from the bottom, they fixed it quickly. Cleaning service was very good and friendly. When i checked in they did not have my girlfriend as staying there so they kept my license and credit card at the front overnight for the manager to look at. I was very uncomfortable with this. Very unprofessional.

Beach: OK. Sand was quiet hard but it was good enough

OVerall: Everything needs updating and the food situation needs to be fixed. You cant be out of half of the things in the buffet. Oh and also when its raining the entertainment staff should not be taking up tables when all guests are standing eating their lunch. I spent the same amount per night at the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana and got so much more for my money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kingspark17
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#18 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!