“Great time!”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel march 9-16. I was a little afraid to go here after all the reviews I read before I went. We had a great time. The only reasons I didn't give it a 5 rating is because we had a problem with the air conditioning in our room. After quite a few calls to the front desk, we got our room changed the next morning. The buffet was decent, the only complaint was that the food wasn't replenished fast enough. We were able to get reservations to all three specialty restaurants.
I have to say the entertainment staff was amazing, especially DebbieAnn, Chadrick, Spotlight and Panther. They didn't care how old you were, they tried to get every one involved. They had a beach party one night, a coconut party one afternoon, a pool party and numerous different activities throughout the day.
We went to the beach everyday and only one time did we have a problem getting chairs, but DJ and Kamarley were very helpful in assisting us. We always sat close to the beach bar and the bartender, Fabion, was always very attentive to us and always served us with a smile. Yes, we tipped but we never felt pressured to tip anyone. Yes there are vendors on the beach, but we never had a problem with them either. All you have to do is say no thanks and they left you alone, we also enjoyed the vendors that sang, it was pure entertainment!
If I go back to Jamaica I would definitely stay here again! Would love to see the hotel after the renovations!!!

Room Tip: We were originally in the third building which really wasn't that far from everything, but did g...
2  Thank L3point3

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was quite frankly in our stay at this hotel overall. Beyond a few key employees, we didnt feel that welcome and found that tipping vs not tipping really made no difference in the level of service we recieved. Believe me, our group tipped well! There were some positives of this hotel which were unfortunately overshadowed by the negatives.

Pro:
GREAT beach with beautfiul water.
Good food at the buffet with an excellent selection
GREAT coffee ( although not having a coffee maker in my room made me crazy)
Jerk Chicken stand on the beach was fanastic and a great option vs going inside to eat.
Definately do the Wildsands catamaran trip to Ric's Cafe. It leaves this resort at 1pm - it was a GREAT day!

Cons:
Riu's in general i find frustrating with dinner bookings. You have to show up at 8am to book one dinner two days in advance? Who wants to wait in line at 8am to book a dinner? Annoying.

Beach chairs were very old

Our group was eaten alive by sand fleas which i read about in another review. Apparently the resort wouldnt spent the money to treat for them

Rooms in buildings 3&4 are very dated and the AC rarely worked. I heard 1&2 are better. The room to me felt musty and old.

The swim up bar was lot of fun, but the water looked merky the entire time.

No drink service on the beach... bummer. We did choose seats beside the beach bar which was fine. It was a bit of a walk to the pool & food from there though.

The bar service really confused me. Two evenings we were brought drinks to our tables while watching the show. The waitress actually hugged us to thank us for the great tips. Good right? Not really.. another night we were told to get our own drinks at the bar because the rules changes in the morning and they now couldn't serve tables?

I did stay at the Riu Tropical Bay last year and did have a slightly better experience. I don't think we will be doing a Riu hotel again for some time.

Room Tip: I heard building 1 & 2 on upper floors is a better bet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oceandreamer33
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This was our second trip to this little placed we know as heaven. Awesome staff and awesome service. Very accomadating to all needs.

First: you must visit the lobby bar and listen to Paul. He has been there the last two trips of mine and I visited the lobby bar every night he was there to listen to him sing. Awesome Guy and even better bartender. Worth the trip in itself.

We brought our own music and our own party. Never distrspectful, and always turned it down or off is asked by anyone.The staff, "tourist", and other vacationers loved every minute of it. We love America, so we represented ourself as such! The staff joined in and encouraged us to have a good time and enjoy ourselves. Never distrspectful, and always turned it down or off is asked by anyone. WE came to party and have a good time. We left partied out and EVERYONE had a good time.

WE WILL be back to this place for a 3rd time soon.

Room Tip: Stay in the first or second building
4  Thank Damien H
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The hotel was ok. The staff was good but the best staff member was Paul the lobby singing bartender! Hands down the other travelers made the trip! We meet a group of guys at the pool dressed to impress decked out in USA gear. I myself was very impressed by thre gear. Not only how much Jamaican music can someone listen too?!? These guys brought a portable speaker with enjoyable music which got everyone in the pool ready to drink, party and have a great time. The music was appropriate and not offensive at all. They were all very polite and respectful, I think everyone one of there mothers would be proud of the gentlemen they raised. I got the honor of hanging out with these guys my entire trip and I am so thankful I got to be a part of the fun they brought to the resort. I honestly think that all of them should have been offered a job by the resort or at least be rewarded by the resort for helping there guest have a memorable enjoyable vacation! I hope that my connection with them all continues long after this vacation!

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Dee42518
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Quite disappointed with this hotel, especially considering the price. We were a group of mid 30's couples, and singles. All have traveled extensively, and are used to a wide variety of hotels. The consensus of the group was this hotel was really lacking in some areas, and was not worth the money.

Pros:
- Good location in a bay, which made for calm ocean, and beautiful water
- Good quality and variety of food at buffets; and the jerk chicken on the beach was delicious
- We were always able to find a beach chair, even later in the morning or day

Cons:
- Very average rooms, with poor quality air conditioners - experienced serious bug problem one night, and had to be moved
- At minimum, we found most of the staff totally dis-engaged, and some even quite rude - At one point we had a staff member demand beer from our in-room fridge.
- Terrible beach chairs - very old and dirty
- Really awful liquor - all drinks were of very poor quality, with exception of the Red Stripe beer. It is not possible to purchase wine at any of the restaurants.
- No beverage service on the beach, and rarely served around any of the other bars, unless you went right up to the bar. Some servers would take our orders, but others said they weren't allowed.
- Limited a la carte restaurant options
- Long drive from Montego Bay airport
- Nightclub interior is extremely dated, and not very enjoyable
- The spa is not worth the price at all, and our group tried multiple treatments, all of which were very poor.

Room Tip: Top floor, suite rooms with ocean view appears to be the best. Building's 3 and 4 are quite a w...
1  Thank travelcanuck29
Reviewed April 1, 2014

First of all....To OWNERS and MANAGERS of this resort......Treat ALL your employees the same way....that includes Scuba, Pool, Maintenance, Landscaping, Room and Bar personnel. Have them also have breaks, eat the same food as tourists do and please give them good water to drink.....they all deserve it.

Check in was quick....our room was upgraded to oceanfront without even asking....thank you for that.....room was very nice and clean....mini bar restocked almost every day.....food, beach, 1 pool, landscape, entertainment, massages, drinks all Great!.....and especially the entire Staff....EXCELLENT!!!

The only negative remark we have and again addressed to the Owners and Managers......first of all.....portable music brought by tourists should not be allowed in the pool areas.....as was the case of the 4 American Bozos dressed as Uncle Sam their entire trip....do they think they own the place?....Tourists should be ignoring them, some were ignoring them but the ones not ignoring were probably Americans also. There is Plenty of Music and Entertainment by staff at the Pools and Beach throughout the day!!!!!

We never did go in the Pool Bar Pool....too merky and disgusting if you know what I mean. Management should look into that. And it is Not the Lifeguards fault.....they are doing their best!

The other pool was way much better.

In conclusion, Awesone Trip and Special Thanks to Carey, Sheldon, Calvert, Ivette, Mark, Akeem and "Especially Latrisha" for making our stay wonderful....we're gonna miss you guys.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SJCAN
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Dave & Linda , my wife Delores and I traveled to 5 Caribbean Islands. Dave and I have tried scuba diving at 3 of them. Never have we meet someone like Lloyd. He made diving seem like the most incredible thing you can ever do. Lloyd put safety first and showed you how to enjoy the world that your going to discover. Never did I feel rushed to learn if I was not happy with my progress he gave us time to learn and practice until we were happy. When we were out in the sea he took the time to show us our new world. I have never meet a better teacher. Can't wait till I get to dive with Lloyd again.
Marvin from Alberta Canada

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Marvin. W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!