“Disappointed”

Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Simcoe, Ontario, Canada
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I'm so disappointed,mad,offended and near medical mishap..#1-no 24 hour food services as stated in the brochure. can never get coffee,fruit,cereal before 7:00am,If you ask a staff they pretend they don't hear you,walk away or "play perfectly stupid".You can get dried up cheese and meat and runny jello.The staff at the Welcome Bar where so rude and would go hide in the kitchen or avoid servicing you..we didnt get the room that was requested upon arrival,complained and got no where..never had clean towels or room cleaned,talked to Tracey-Ann she assured us it would be taken care of(3:00pm),called down at 6:00pm wanted to clean up before dinner NO towels,wasnt until 9:30pm we received towels..No restocking of fridge until third day..NO 24-hour drinks,wait until 10:00am and closed up early evening..Couldn't walk alone before 8:00 or after !0:00pm the gardeners following you around wanting money or food or buy pot/cocaine..The morning we left we all wanted coffee and some sort of food(I'm Diabetic-small children crying) nothing available anywhere,and asked the staff at "The Snack Restaurant-24 hours of food"????? Overall can't believe this was the worst choice of holiday-that my hard earned money was spent on..PS Maya on front desk was nice and Ivette at the pool bar. Oh ya watch out for the little/short lifeguard (Alias 007) followed me to my building and waited until i came out,hiding behind a tree,following for two days,told front desk but clearly didnt care about my safety..The people that were selling stuff and other "stuff" didnt offended me at all,just said no thanks and they moved on..

Room Tip: second building not to close to any noise but close for walking to restaurants and front lobby
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Catherine G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,371)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Place was amazing and the staff on the beach was great I really enjoyed my vacation but the food was the nastiest Jamaican food I have ever taste waitstaff is lazy as hell went to the lunch buffet on our second day there my cousin really wanted a piece of carrot cake but there was a fly on it she said some to the attendant she use the same thing that people is use to remove that one slice instead of throwing out the entire tray because she wasn't paying attention to the deserts so she had no idea what the fly tampered with and that's was our last day eating there we was only have jerk chicken on the beach and also buy food from the street and having tea for breakfast because we were scared of getting sick on vacation hopefully they get a chef that actually know how to cook and good staff to run the buffet the ways it's supposed and they need more variety of food on there buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the amount of money they charge to stay there riu club NEED IMPROVEMENT

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank snooki89
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We originally visited the resort for New Years 2009/10 which was great. This year we returned for my birthday in eary January and just came back last night. The reason we returned to this resort is because it is great value for the lower cost compared to other places plus we really feel the staff is excellent there.

I have to stress that if you are impossible to please, picky, used to 5 star mega-resorts or just enjoy finding faults in things in order to write bad reviews, this place isn't for you. This is a slightly older resort (picture actual keys to get into the rooms) but has aged extremely well. The prices are in line with cheaper resorts in Jamaica but what you get is a really good value for your money. I opted not to spend the extra $500 per person on the Riu Palace next door but you may want to if you're going to expect the world of the ClubHotel Riu despite the cheaper price.

Also if you can stand a few bug bites, what are you doing out of your house? I see that as a big complaint at this resort but I didn't come back with a single bite despite seeing quite a few insects in the sand, etc. No bugs in the room though. I did see them spraying the grounds one night during our week so maybe they have become more proactive with that.

Check-in was rather painless. Wait in the line with the group off the bus, get your key/bracelets and you're off. Depending on the size of group arriving, it may take shorter or longer but the staff is as efficient as possible with all documents all ready for each room.

The food was much the same this time. Great selection, tasty, and cooked well. I've only ever heard of people getting sick from eating hamburgers there but what are you doing eating a hamburger in Jamaica? My one complaint is that we did not get any lobster during our stay. We arrived late on a Monday night/Tuesday morning due to airport delays and we heard that they had served it that night. Our previous stay here we had lobster for New Years Eve so I guess we were just expecting it. Not a big deal as the A La Carte restaurants are very good.

Shadows Steakhouse changed things up a bit based on our previous visit. Last time they had a buffet style to pick up your salad and soup but it was all served at the table this year. Steaks were an excellent cut, cooked to a perfect Medium Rare for us which is difficult for a New York Strip.

Sir Andrew's gourmet restaurant hasn't changed at all. Same menu and still very good. They have an excellent grouper fillet which I recommend if you're a fan.

One big complaint about the salads in the A La Carte restaurants is they all seem to serve shredded lettuce which makes it very difficult to eat with a fork. Just a nitpick though.

The beach is what you come to Negril for and I'm glad to say the resort has continued to maintain the beach very well. Very good swimming - a bit of seaweed here and there but not gross and no sharp rocks or anything. I did see someone who thought they got stung by a jellyfish and I got a bit of sting on my foot getting out of the water one day but it could have been a seashell rushing back when the tide was going out.

A complaint we had about the beach last time was that there were never sufficient number of beach chairs made available and you had to rush out at 6am to reserve with your towel. This wasn't a problem on our return here this year.

One thing I haven't had to deal with in my travels before is a medical situation. Unfortunately we had to make use of the nurse and doctor at the resort and they were extremely helpful. Many thanks to them.

The beds aren't really great here which is a downside but that all boils down to the "get-what-you-pay-for" thing.

There is a review a few below this one that references a wedding party that was brutally attacked in the pool and then their shuttle bus was hijacked and set on fire. Take that post with a grain of salt as there's been no bus hijacks/fires on that route in any of the news.

Room Tip: A big suggestion if you have difficulty walking is that you should definitely get a room as low in t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ian M
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Overall we were very pleased with our stay at Club Riu Negril. Service was very good at all restaurants, bars and room. It was a little challenging to get our fridge stocked with Red Stripe daily, but we worked it out. The fan/AC in our 3rd floor room was noisy. The excursions through our Signature Rep were great. The only real complaint we had was the kids at the pool bar. There is another pool where we think the kids should have been playing, splashing and running around, while we enjoyed a drink at the swim-up bar. Food was excellent, and there was a great variety every day. Entertainment could have been a little more adult oriented, but it could have been the time of year, Christmas break.

Room Tip: Building 4 is the furthest from the lobby and restaurants, and is the quietest. We enjoyed the gard...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatherineMcLennan
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed for a week in November. Food was good with alot of selections every day. Our room was water front and beautiful. The staff was always helpful when needed. I was not impressed with the water; I was expecting it to be clearer. The sand fleas were a problem dusk and dawn. The shows were great. We did leave the hotel to see other places; cabs were fairly cheap but make sure you know the price before you get in. The grounds were beautiful and I won at the casino. We were told that this April the hotel was closing for remodeling. I can't see them doing anything to the room we stayed in; as I said it was beautiful.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 2 water front .
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 2Patricia
Chicago
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Club Hotel RIU (Bloody Bay) Negril, Jamacia

Before I review the resort lets start with the airport in Montego Bay. If for any unfortunate reason you lose your luggage or need any type of assistance cross your fingers cause they pretty much won't be doing anything out of the ordinary or go out of they're way to help in your cause. Air Trans lost a piece of luggage and didn't know where it was even though I had a direct flight out of Chicago and my other piece of luggage arrived with me at the Montego Bay airport. After countless calls , they found the luggage 2 days later. But we wasted our time having to BUY new bathing suits at a marked up price from hotel store,until we hired a taxi and went into town a found some clothes and items we needed for a much reasonable price. Advice to you's, bring a couple of bathing suits and some other need now items on your carry on, just in case of the worst! Especially coming from Chicago's cold weather to hot sunny Jamaica .

I will break this down into sections starting with the resort (Club Riu). As I started reading reviews in my research looking for a resort to stay the reviews were mixed, so as I arrived I just hoped that all would go according to plan. But to be honest other than my luggage coming up missing everything was great! Checking in was a breeze and the people at the front desk were very friendly.

1. Rooms : I'm not really picky about the rooms I stay in because most of time they're just to lay my head down. But the room was ok at best , could use a top to bottom cleaning and I'm not talking about a damp towel , I'm talking down on your knees type scrubbing . When the grout on the tiles look dirty, uh yeah it's that time! But like I said used it to sleep not hang out in. Liquor was stocked, fridge was full with beer,water and sodas to mix your drinks! Hot water worked great and most importantly the A/C worked perfect, even had to turn off the ceiling fan. Room has a safe if you want to hide your valuables. TV had a lot of channels to view.

2. Grounds & Layout: The grounds are taken care of and there is plenty of Ocean frontage on the beach to hang out and do your thing. The layout, well they placed all living quarters on one side and the lobby,pools,dining hall, disco and the stage where the nightly shows are preformed on the other side. So with that being said, I was housed in the 2nd building out of 5 and the walk to the other side to eat was kind of a long walk ,so can you image if you were in the 5th building?

3. Food & Liquor: This is where you'll always will get mixed reviews, let's start with the food. If your a fish lover, you be in heaven! Main buffet dining room always has some type of fish available sometimes multiple types. Other than the fresh lobster, ox tails and jerk chicken the menu is just regular. Nothing that I would say "wow!" other than the lobster. Breakfast, well as usual is the best meal. They have a very good spread here from different types of yogurts to freshly blended fruits shakes and some very good coffee, Loved breakfasts! For you picky eaters, don't worry you'll always find something you like.

The liquor well sorry my review won't be that good, very low bottom shelf stuff. Appleton rum which is watered down, as well as any other liquor you'll have on the resort. My advise, the minute you land at the airport pay a visit to the duty free liquor store and buy yourself a bottle or two of your favorite so you can have at the resort to have what you want or to spike whatever drinks your drinking. Trust me, you'll be disappointed if you don't bring your own.

4. Pools & Beach: As usual at any all-inclusive resort the pool is where all the action is with the RIU entertainment employees keep you entertained with good music and they're poolside games. 2 pools only one with the swim up bar. Be advised that there will be weed smoking in and around the pool, every day all day! I'm not a pot smoker and really didn't mind it at all, it was a thousand times better than those nasty smelling cigars and cigarettes. The RUI on Bloody bay is not connected to the 7 mile beach and can be dark and murky, but it is what it is. Plenty of lounge chairs to sunbath on through out the resort beachfront. Beach area has a bar and a jerk chicken shack for lunchtime snacks while your hanging out by the beach.

5. Excursions & things to do: Here's your money saving tips right here. Do yourself a favor, if you have to buy something inside the resorts 2 stores more than likely you'll be able to find it on the beachfront or outside the resort for up to 50% off, if you've read my other reviews I always recommend that you bargain for a good deal and Negril is no difference. Minute you get to the beach start walking and you'll run into locals selling they're stuff which is the same thing inside of the resorts at a marked up price. You will run into a bunch of locals offering to sell you weed as well! You can walk all the way to the last resort you see and you will also notice that once you get around the bend you'll see the water start turning see thru blue. Much clearer on that side. Do not be afraid to negotiate here with the locals, they can get you things cheaper including the boat rides , jet skis and the Catamaran boat ride to Ricks cafe! If there's a group of let's say 5-8 or more you can get that trip at $40 p.p. , it's usually $50. Best thing there, all you can drink, they take you snorkeling and then take you to some caves where you can jump in and swim up to them then from there is to Ricks Cafe where people do some cliff jumping, it's an awesome site and a very cool little hangout , one of the must see places to see! Do yourself a favor and by pass the black river boat tour, it's a waste of time, that why they package it with the YS Falls tour. The YS Falls tour is great, a must do as well but not with the river tour. If you can get to the YS Falls without the river tour by all means do it.
Nightlife, Alfred's Ocean Palace is a must visit. Live bands , cool people great time!!!
I almost forgot, need to get somewhere out of the resort? No problem, bypass the resort taxis and walk to the street and start walking. Within a minute taxis will be riding up to you offering you a ride, remember what I said " BARGAN!!!" I was getting from the resort to downtown (the circle) for $10 . That's probably the farthest you'll go by yourself. Resort taxis wanted $25, see what I'm saying!!!! Resort workers will to to get you to get a taxi from them but just say your going to walk.

Bottom line, resort as a whole: Not like other resorts, this resort really plays second fiddle to the Jamacian lifestyle , the ambience and terrific weather. Locals here were very, very friendly and wanted you to have the best time of your life. I've read in other reviews people saying that the Jamacian women working in the resort here were rude and disrespectfull, but what I did see were people getting drunk and rude then demand things, then I guess write bad review afterward. I spent 11 days here and never had not one problem.

Hope what I've written helps !

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank agomez247
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay.

The service was excellent, meals were quite good at the buffet. Reservation dinners were good but not better than the buffet.

The location, beach and protected "bay" made this trip. We took out a catamaran and had a blast! The instructions were great.

Also, don't miss the jerk chicken cooked on the beach and try the lobster just off property on the beach ---- FRESH.

Room Tip: A bit of courtesy and a tip to the front desk attendant will get you a room upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pete S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!