ClubHotel Riu Negril
$492
$311
$90
$65
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
$78
$192
$160
$854
$484
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
$64
TripAdvisor
5,866 results
All reviewsfish sanctuarysinging barmanjerk chickenentertainment staffricks cafejerk hutswim up barbloody bayevery other dayclub hotela la carte restaurantssand fliesgourmet restaurantmake reservationssea urchinsys fallswater shoes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wifey and I kicked off our annual Jamaica trip with 4 days here. We loved the food, shows and last but not least the wonderful staff. You have to be mindful and remember you are in the Caribbean so the water can get dicey (Mr. Brains in a kayak with cell phone learned hard way-at me-lol). RIU is a little more but it's worth every cent. It is definitely JAMAICA At It's Best!!! My wife especially enjoyed meeting Elephant Man and his family visiting as well for Jamaica's Independence Day celebrations as well (thanks to him for being so 'inviting/understanding' with his fans--a celeb rarity). I do recommend an upper room in building 1 or 2 because the walks to the other rooms could be exhaustive and there are no elevators (...I needed the exercise after meals tho--worked for me). All said we had and awesome visit and will definitely be back--Michael/Casandra Gooden---DallasTX

Room Tip: Building 1-3 Upper Lever. No elevators. In Jamaica...get ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HOOKSHORNETS
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my 3rd stay at a Riu and my husband's 5th. We stayed from 9/8-9/15. We did have a great time and may return, after it is remodeled, which is supposed to take place at the end of 2014. A lot of things are outdated at this resort.

I will just list out my Pros and Cons of the Resort.....

PROS: Check in was quick. Maid did a great job cleaning our room. No Bug problems (Room 2211, third floor of building 2). Bed was comfortable. Fridge was stocked properly. Ocean was very clear. Entertainment was great. Jerk Chicken on the beach was the best! Staff was very friendly and was always there to help. Felt very safe, unlike some reviews I had seen before. Lots of activities to do.

CONS: Poor options at the Buffet and the specialty restaurants. Food wasn't cooked quick enough at the buffet and the dishes were always empty. Italian restaurant didn't have a pasta main dish on the menu (seemed odd to me). Sand was very packed in on the beach and felt like you were walking on concrete. You can hear everything going on in the halls from your room. No Sports Bar like the other RIUs. The only TV was in your room. TVs usually aren't an issue but it's football season and it would have been a lot more fun to watch the games from a bar on site, rather than your room.

Took a taxi to Rick's Café one evening. It was one affiliated with the resort and it seemed a little pricy ($30 round trip) but it was worth it. Another thing we did off the resort was go on the One Love Bus Bar Crawl! It is a must for anyone that wants to see some local sites.

Overall we had a great trip and can't wait to come back to Jamaica!

Room Tip: If you have problems walking up steps, there are no elevators.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Erin N
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I visited in July. While the front desk staff was very friendly they were also extremely slow with checking us in. The room was clean and cool. However, we were placed in the very last building of the hotel, which was literally a 7-10 minute walk from the lobby to the room (in the scorching heat). The food was good. The entertainment was the best! I thoroughly enjoyed watching the nightly shows, and the staff responsible for the beach activities did an excellent job keeping the guests entertained. There was everything from water aerobics, beach volleyball, dance competitions, and more. This is not the best hotel I've stayed at, but for the price it was fair. Word to the wise, make sure to request a room close to the center of the hotel. Otherwise, by the time you make it back to your room you will be hungry all over again because you worked off everything you ate trying to get there.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Yoyoforever
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica and we had a great time. The Riu Negril was a wonderful resort. After reading some of the review we were a bit worried. We did not have any bugs in our room nor did we see any. If there were any it would not be the fault of the resort. Several guests would leave dirty plates and glasses in the hallways and on the steps. Both check-in and check out were very easy. We received an upgrade to a corner Ocean Front room. What a great way to start our vacation. The view was beautiful.

The staff was very friendly and would always great you with a hello, good morning, good night, etc.

The beach was OK and we weren't bothered my the vendors much, if you said no thank you they would leave you alone. The jerk chicken on the beach was wonderful and we ate it most days for lunch. The rest of the food was average, but it was resort food and they are preparing it for a large amount of people. The drinks
were good. The first day I asked for double rum no problem.

We took the boat trip to Rick's Cavern and had a really great time. The staff was wonderful and the sunset was beautiful. Met great folks on that trip.

Overall a great holiday and would go back. Thank you Riu.

Room Tip: The second bldg. was nice and not that far of a walk. We had a corner room with a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim S
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I should have listened to my boyfriend when he suggested going to the west end in Negril at a small hotel. But no I wanted to stay in a resort and be pampered and taken care of...sadly what I wanted never happened.

We stayed at the Hotel Riu (not tropical) for one night (thank goodness). There was a deal on for 200 a night. We got to the hotel early and were able to check in early which was great. The service on arrival was good and people were helpful ESP as I was traveling with a 5 month old baby.

After dropping our stuff at the ro we went for lunch. Words can't describe how disappointing the food at this Riu was. I've been to the Riu in runaway bay which was delicious. This riu had little variety, bland tasting food. They had no chicken choices. Just fish and pork which I don't eat. After barely eating we went to the beach and found some jerk chicken which tasted okay.

Being from Jamaica I can tell you this beach was far from nice. The sand had big rocks and was not nearly close to the sand at 7 mile beach. The water was murky. I mean 7 mile is about. 5 minute drive and absolutely stunning this beach.

I was hoping dinner would have more choices and was again disappointed. Same jerk chicken from the grill was served We tried to book at the one of the a la Cartes but were unable to as you need to book 2 days in advance and we were only staying one night. I didn't eat so my boyfriend found the manager and told him he said he would try to get us into the restaurant. After a lot of waiting around and then being turned way because my bf had on shorts and they refused to let him run back and change (said we would be too long) we finally got them to give us meals from the restaurant but to go. Thankfully this food was much better but we had to go to manage my to even be able to get this.

The entertainment was long and drawn out. I met up with friends who had been their a week and they said the food was this bad everyday. I go to hotels for food and quality. We def did not get it there. Even the drinks were lacking. They premake the daiquiris which taste just like syrup and ice no fresh fruit in these drinks.

I could go on and on. There were a few people who were very helpful but the food was just so awful. Also at lunch my baby was sweating so much in the dining area. We asked that they turn on the overhead fans which were all off but they said as they are saving electricity they wouldn't. Needless to say I couldn't enjoy eating as she was sweating so much.

Overall, the money we paid was not worth it at all. We can't explain how awful the food was. We are Jamaicans living in Jamaica and this was a very very poor reflection of what food in Jamaica is like. I feel sorry for people who go here for a week and think this is how our food is.

I strongly suggest going to the west coast and staying in one of the amazing little boutique hotels especially catch a falling star which is amazing. Wishing I had gone there...

• Stayed: September 2013