“Great hotel in a beautiful setting” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Negril

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a beautiful setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a family holiday at the end of August and had a fab time. This was our first trip to Jamaica & we loved it. The people are so chilled, the beach was beautiful, the food was generally very good in the buffet restaurants. We ate once in the Sir Andrew gourmet restaurant and although the food and service were very good, it was all a bit rushed. We were not impressed with the Steakhouse so spent most nights in the buffet. The weather, as expected at that time of year, was a bit wet in the afternoons but we still had plenty of sunshine. The rooms were good and we were pleased to receive 2 rooms together, as requested. There was entertainment every night, most of which was quite good. The staff were friendly and helpful as was our holiday rep.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Niki S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I was happy with my 5 day stay at the Riu Negril. The staff was great. The food at the indoor dinning area by the Scuba place was great breakfast and dinner. Lunch by the pool was awesome. Everyday it was some sort of seafood pasta. The buffet lunch was awful. The Jerk on the beach was also good. My only complaint would be the old box TVs in the rooms and the funky smell mine had. And just an FYI...In order to eat at any of the restaurants at the Riu, you have to make reservations 2 days prior and it has to be done in person.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Alisha R
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We just got back from Negril and I just can't get over this trip! I fell in love with Jamaica/Negril and Riu Negril was a great resort to stay at. We felt welcomed from the minute we walked to the front desk. I have emailed them in advance requesting a higher level, and it was well noted, because we got a wonderful room, with working AC and a beautiful view. I am soooo dissapointed in all the negative reviews that mention bugs and roaches in the sheets. We stayed in Building #1 second floor and there was nothing to worry about. The room was cleaned every morning, with changed sheets and fresh towels. I agree that it would be nice if they could offer more than just shampoo and conditioner, but ....c'mon, that's not a valid reason for a negative review! We have stayed at other Riu's, with so many more ammenities, but we've also payed about $800-$1000 more...so I guess for that price difference, they better include some body lotion and conditioner.
People are so nice here, and the most humble I have seen... everyone is singing and happy to serve you!
The pools are nice, not too crowded ( but I guess is because we went in a slow months, end of Aug). The one with the wet bar was always full tho. Food was ok, not the greatest but its buffet style, so ...that kind of explains it all. We liked Sir Andrews. The Steakhouse was also good, but it was very humid night and I was getting eaten up by bugs, so we didn't stay for the dessert.
Entertainment Team- THE HIGHLIGHT of our vacation!!!!! We were so impressed with these guys, that they are the reason I will book another stay here-I wish the management would see this, because they are amazing! They have activities by the pool throughout the day, by the beach and than a show every night @9.30pm. Colorz ( the most talented self taught dancer I have ever met), Shadow, Spider, Fire, Sponge bob, Tanisha, Pencil, Panther...and I am sure I am forgetting one or two....I thank you all for a wonderful vacation!
The beach is not the greatest, as it might get a little rocky, but has plenty of natural shade, and the water is so clear and most of the time very warm. We didn't mind the vendors on the Beach, as they will take a "no, thank you" and leave you alone. And honestly Mexico was not better as far as people trying to sell you stuff.
I am honestly so happy with this hotel, that I looking for tickets to come back here.

Note: for people that are looking for fancy, modern decor-this might not be the place for you. But you will have the greatest time/fun here. The rooms are a bit outdated, but they are clean. The musty smell is NOT mold! Is the high humidity. Every hotel I have been to in Mexico ( Cancun, Isla de Mujeres, Acapulco) smells exactly the same if not worse.

Once again,
Thank you Riu Negril....you shall see us again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Camelia R
TORONTO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Club Hotel Riu Negril from August 25 2013 to September 1 2013. I had a great time the entertainment staff is by far the best ive seen, they were so energetic and friendly. The food was great we really loved the patties and the jerk chicken hut. The only thing i would suggest would be to have more option in the 24hr snack bar other than just cold burgers and sandwiches. The beach was nice, and always kept clean. I definately recommend visting Peter at the don fresh lobster hut on the beach for some fresh lobster, i can say it was the best meal ive ever had. BRING BUG SPRAY! The mosquitoes and sand fleas are everywhere. I love Jamaica and everything about it had such a great vibe, great food, great people, etc....

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2224 and 2225 and we had a good side view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank MELISSA P
Ocho Rios, Saint Ann, Jamaica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

ok stayed at the RIU club hotel and I must say I prefer the RIU TROPICAL BAY WAAAYYY BETTTERRR, I stayed in room 1059 the ac smell bad the bulbs in the room weren't always working the shower pipe wasn't working proper the tv kept chipping out, anyways the food was jus ok they didn't have a lot of options same thing every night, the highlight of my stay there was the entertainment team they kept the vibes going and they are always pleasant to talk to the other workers not so friendly,but over all WONT BE RETURNING THERE..... but I will return to tropical next year

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Lori Sweetashon... K
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

we had a good time at this resort because of who we traveled with but in general this resort is not worth the money. the food was the worst of any all inclusives we've stayed at. breakfast was good but lunch was barely edible and dinner was terrible. you need 1-2 days advance reservations to eat in any restaurants besides the buffet. the best food we had there was from the grills on the beach that served jerk chicken. the rooms need updating. you can't lay on the beach without people constantly asking you to buy things. other resorts i've stayed in do not allow that. the hotel in general needs updating. outdoor bars were fun..bartenders were very friendly.

we rented jet skis and had a great time..beautiful beaches. took a cab to rick's and had a lot of fun there. brought dinner back from rick's to avoid eating at the resort. its fun to walk down the beach and visit the shopping areas. we were so disappointed in the food at riu, that one afternoon we walked down to a small grill on the beach and had lobster, conch and shrimp. i've been to couples all inclusive resorts in jamaica 2 other times and the food was much better. we had to walk up to the poolside bars to get new drinks, there were no poolside waitresses. no bathing suits allowed in the open lunch area, which is stupid since everyone is coming from the pool or beach. there are a lot nicer resorts in jamaica for not much more money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank local_diner929
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Staff was friendly for the most part with a few exceptions. Food was good with good variety. Entertainment was sub-par, but they did try. The rooms were ok but outdated. They weren't cleaned early enough and things weren't replenished often enough. There were some type of biting insect on the bed, my wife had bite welts on her. We were on the third floor. Can't imagine ground floor woes. No working ice machine in our building. Pools close too early and the "adult" swim up bar pool was crowded with young kids. They had a pool right next to it to use. Ran out of towels to use on beach and at pool nearly every day. Rick's cafe was nice but pricey. The rest of the area is lackluster. The beach was ok, but no beach or pool wait service sucks. No room service is a disappointment too. Don't waste your time or money on this hotel, or in the area in general. Not worth what you pay. Have been to many resorts and this is by far the worst.

• Stayed August 2013