“AWESOME”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #28 of 81 Hotels in Negril
“AWESOME”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I'm going to give u the good the bad and the ugly

We came to Jamaica for my friend's wedding. We stayed in building one (which I advise everyone to do) The service was amazing. The staff was very nice, the food was ok (I'm used to "real" Jamaican food). The rooms were nice and clean. The drinks can be weak but if u ask for more alcohol they will gladly give it to u (also ask for specialty drinks they are usually stronger)

My 12 year old came with us and she had a blast. She hung out with kids her age, went swimming, ate what she wanted, ordered virgin drinks from the bar, took part in the free water sports, went to the beach and half the time I didn't see her (very safe resort)

This resort is great for families with children. The entertainment staff was awesome. They did everything from excercises on the beach in the morning -to beach parties at night.

The bad- if your a bride make sure you have everything outlined and someone there that can help /coordinate your wedding the day of. The resort coordinator Deon SUCKED, very rude and unprofessional

The ugly- SAND FLEAS/FLIES. ....O.M.G they are the worst. You need something stronger than off (like deet) to keep them away. I have close to 40 bites on my legs, arms and back and I wore off the whole time I was there. They come out if its raining and also at dawn or dusk. If you never experienced this before its like having the chicken pocks (look and feel) pack with you benadryl, cortizone, deets and calamine lotion or alcohol to dry it out. I was almost in tears my last night there. Stay away from the far end of the resort in front of building 4 that's where they seem to be.

Overall I would stay here again and I would recommend this to my close family and friends

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank clearski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,388)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went here to get married. We had about 36 people, including 1 baby with us and were there May 29-June 5.

The Riu is a lovely property. The rooms needed a little bit of updating, but were nice and clean. We had an ocean front view. I recommend being in Buildings 1 and 2, otherwise it can be a far walk to the restaurants, pool, etc. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The entertainment staff was the best I've ever experienced. The food was pretty good for an all inclusive place. The jerk chicken hut on the beach is to die for! Definitely worth getting everyday. In fact the cook gave my brother the recipe. The beach is large, but it is a man made beach so it's kind of cloudy. If you want that light aqua water, you need to go on the other side of the bay where Tropical Palace is or 7 mile beach.

Our wedding was awesome. The coordinator took care of everything. I was worried b/c it is the rainy season and it was 60%-70% chance of rain every day! It downpoured one day for 5 min. Then sprinkled for about 30 min another day. Rest of the time it was dry. My wedding day it didn't rain at all even though it was suppose to all day. It was very windy, but that was a good thing b/c it was hot out. The reception dinner at the steakhouse was lovely. They were even able to make us a wedding cake that had zero egg whites in it (my husband is allergic). And one of the waiters serenaded us. Was very lovely.

Like I said the entertainment staff was AMAZING! They did shows every night too. Some were better than others. The disco was a fun place to go after the shows got off. I wouldn't recommend going to the late night buffet though unless you are getting pizza, as the rest of the food is leftover from dinner.

As for excursions...stick to the vendors in the lobby or the Scuba Caribe. We did a vendor that was docked up and it was not safe---just like the hotel warned us. Luckily we made it ok, but the motor stalled out and we were in choppy water in a glass bottom boat on our way to Rick's Cafe. Rick's is a must see, but the water is super choppy around there, so I recommend taking the taxi down there. You can barter with the hotel people.

Also it is about a 90 min bus ride to the resort (only about an hour on the way back). They will ask if you want to stop at one of the roadside bars. I said no, b/c I really wanted to get to my hotel, unpack, and eat :)

All in all a wonderful experience. I would definitely go back there, if not to another Riu resort.

Room Tip: Ask for building 1 or 2.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jillian K
Long Island, NY
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my first time to Jamaica and my stay at the Riu was beautiful. The service was good, rooms were clean and beach was nice. I think it's a nice resort for a reasonable price. You must remember to bring bug spray for the beach! I wish the drinks were a little stronger most of them taste like juice and the disco was ok, wish it was open more during the week to have something to do late night. But overall its a good resort. I was in the 3000 building which is a little walk but didn't bother me any.

3 Thank Crystal N
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let me start off saying that this was my fourth time to Jamaica and my 2nd stay in Negril, so I was well aware of the distance from the airport and Negril is worth the drive. Usually my travels are done with my husband and our hotel choices for those vacations reflect that.. If you are looking for a Sandals or Couples type of stay.. RIU Negril isn't for you.. This trip however was our first "Family" Carribean vacation so we knew we had to pick somewhere that allowed children but still allowed for an adult to be an adult, that being said I would also suggest RIU Negril for groups such as a girls or guys trip. This trip included a 10 and 12 year old.. another plus the resort offers kids under 12 stay, play and eat free. Our check in went ok ... We joined the RIU Class for the added "benefits".. one of these benefits was to pay at check-in instead of up-front, although we would have rather paid before arrival because at check-in we were having issues with our check card and had to spend $100+ dollars on a collect call to the bank .. the hotel did NOT have a phone we could use to handle this .. We intended to pay for an upgrade at check-in but due the check card issue we had to put down $250 cash to hold the room for the night to sort out the issues with the bank. Our first 2 hours upon arrival were awful and nerve wracking. Warning - Notify your bank of the days you will be traveling out of the country to avoid any such dilemma. We were given room 1035.. the only thing good about this room is you are close to everything ... Yes the TV was ancient and we had 2 double beds that were practically pushed together. We made it work. I like 2 pillows but they only provided 1 per person in our case. Our room was cleaned daily and our cleaning lady did a great job, she didn't however change the sheets ever day or even every other, she did make towel decorations on our bed daily :-) Our refridgerator was filled every other day but that was enough for us. Our patio area was infested with ants, but the room was not. We did see a few roaches in our room but most seemed to be dead or close to dying. We also had no crabs in the room but I did see one wandering the hall one time, I can see how thier getting in the bottom rooms, We had a very big crab try to climb through the drainage hole/pipe that all the lower level balconys seem to have .. If this crab was small he would have had no problem getting in. Most of these things were expected and I knew what I was in for.. It is the tropics ... The roaches I could have done without however. A few things I wasn't expecting that we encountered: The cable was out for 3 1/2 days.. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal but I traveled with a 10 and 12 year old.. when you want them to settle down and go to bed Disney or Nick always helps.. I also like to watch HLN in the morning while waiting for the others to wake up. Also it is advertised that the rooms have a clock radio .. ours did not and when asked if we could have one it was a simple "No". We enjoy listening to the local radio stations and local news and with no cable it was a little dull at times when taking a break from the sun.
I know my review sounds like I thought place was terrible and to some it would have been, there is always something about every vacation or every hotel that you didn't like or care for. My kids had a blast!! That is what truly mattered to me! They were able to be kids and have a vacation like none before. When ever they were hungry there is food to eat, they got a kick out of going to the pool bar and ordering Banana Mamas and other fruity drinks ... (swim-up bar is the only one accomodating for the kids even if playing at the quiet pool) They did all the things that the grown-ups including myself never seem to do. They did the beach volleyball, water volleyball, water aerobics, soccer, silly games... We also enjoyed the paddle boats. I thought the water sports employees were the unfriendliest at this hotel though. The kids found the entertainment staff wonderful however.. they still talk about Chadwick, Rooster and Colorz. The kids loved the preshow more than the show most nights... But at times it was a little inappropriate for them .. they had a blast at the Beach Party!! All the little crabs, lizards, birds around were an added bonus in the kids eyes. It is just so cool. Theres also this little grass/plant that grows in the grassy areas almost looks like a mini fern .. if you stroke it 1x from the bottom to the top of the center of the leaf it closes up, the kids showed me that one and it was pretty cool. The kids had such a good time my husband and I were still able to have a nice romantic vacation. There were plenty of kids for the kids to meet and play with so they had no problem finding a friend. We didn't have a problem with making dinner reservations for the specialty resturauts but I think this is a problem you encounter when you travel at peak season. We did have to make our reservations 2 days in advance. The food was good and the kids even tried different things... Its a hit or miss... The beach was ok .. there are some areas that are decent but there are more areas that the sand is hard or rocky or eroded away to rock, water is decent for a while after a point it does get grassy and coral formations.. watch out for the coral, don't hit it on accident. Ouch! Some Sea Urchins too. The fish sanctuary was cool. Our last day there they pruned most of the trees on the beach ... prior to the pruning there was plenty of shade, afterwards not so much shade.. I can tell other visitors were not pleased about this. The kids preferred the pool.. we preferred the beach. Check out went smooth, transportation went good- we had a private driver .. a RIU Class benefit I am assuming. Would I go here again?? Maybe. The price was right and it is in Negril. The rooms need a serious renovation and the beach does too, the rest of the facilities are ok. I think a little more vegetation, plants, trees, should go in the center courtyard gardens and through out the resort, might not be a bad view if it was more tropical. The beach bar needs to be more of a beach bar with stools or chairs and some of thier staff isn't as friendly as I have encountered at other resorts.

Room Tip: Blocks 1 and 2 for less of a walk but larger buildings, more rooms, and lounder. Bloscks 3 and 4 a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AprilS_11
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I went to Riu Negril with friends. They gave us rooms with only one bed and we requested 2 beds per room. They gave us the run around at first and sent us to dinner until they fixed the situation. The resort was nice, beach was beautiful, pool was ok but slightly dirty. My biggest problem is the reservation list was hard to get on and the steak house was horrible. The servers were great but due to it being an outside restaurant there were bugs all over the table and people. I went through 4 different glass of water because bugs kept falling in them. Then bugs were getting in my food. I was disgusted I got up as well as 3 other tables and left. I ate at the buffet for the rest of the trip and that had flies as well because the windows and doors were always opened. I would never stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: go to a different resort
4 Thank tray750
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

There was a group of 20 of us who stayed at this hotel in may for 2 weeks and we all loved it. After reading some of the bad reviews, I really do think people just love a good moan!!! The entertainment team were fab, they spent time to talk to you, fantastic dancers and work very very hard, some of them even took time to have a game of poker, football, cards and played dominose with us. The bar at main reception has a singing barman who has a fantastic voice and is a joy to listen to. There is a huge variety of food so there's surely going to be something you like, be sure to try the jerk chicken hut as you won't be disappointed, you can even get food at silly hours in the morning, which is great if you have been out to the clubs or beach parties. If you do like to go to clubs, I would deffo recommend the Jungle club, we went and had a fab night. Hotel is kept clean and tidy and our maid did a fab job. Our children used the kids club alot, they loved it and they loved the teacher Ingrds, she was great with the children. The only complaint I have is that I wish the dj played more reggae in the hotel club. Overall fantastic and loved it and were even returning to get married in 18 months. Would love to hear from anyone who got married here. Oh and yes we did get bit few times but no where near 60 times, if you got bit 60 times then you clearly was not using the correct sprays or creams to prevent this!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L00pyl0u_1980
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First off, we were put in the first building, and thank God (its the 1000's). There are a lot of building but the further down you go, the further you are from everything......
If you want peace and quiet and like to walk, then it would be perfect but I was happy to eat and drink as close as i could :) The service was dependable on who you had....of course you will have your favs, but i thought i would get better service with tipping, and it didnt really matter either way....which was weird to me? If someone tipped me, i would be a little quicker, but it was still all good. When you sit on the beach, make sure not to be right on beach shoreline row of seats, unless you want to be bothered to buy stuff all day. The vendors/ sellers are not allowed to go beyond the shoreline so if your a little back, they cant come to you. If you walk along the beach to the left, there are vendors all the way down of locals selling things.....you will get harassed a lot, but can get some great deals with negotations. I wish i would have went to a bar/disco like The Jungle or Margaritiville one day instead of the disco at the hotel to get more real Jamaican music. The disco smells like puke and plays songs that you cant dance to. I went on two excursions through Apple. The horseback riding was cool to ride a horse in the sea, but the rest was a lot of waiting to get on and off horses. The other excursion was seeing the 2nd lgest falls and a tour of the Appleton distillery....this was good except first part you look for crocodille s too long, but the falls were AMAZING and not that full of people....and the rum was worth the money :)

3 Thank jennifer s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!