“Tips I wish I would have known....”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First off, we were put in the first building, and thank God (its the 1000's). There are a lot of building but the further down you go, the further you are from everything......
If you want peace and quiet and like to walk, then it would be perfect but I was happy to eat and drink as close as i could :) The service was dependable on who you had....of course you will have your favs, but i thought i would get better service with tipping, and it didnt really matter either way....which was weird to me? If someone tipped me, i would be a little quicker, but it was still all good. When you sit on the beach, make sure not to be right on beach shoreline row of seats, unless you want to be bothered to buy stuff all day. The vendors/ sellers are not allowed to go beyond the shoreline so if your a little back, they cant come to you. If you walk along the beach to the left, there are vendors all the way down of locals selling things.....you will get harassed a lot, but can get some great deals with negotations. I wish i would have went to a bar/disco like The Jungle or Margaritiville one day instead of the disco at the hotel to get more real Jamaican music. The disco smells like puke and plays songs that you cant dance to. I went on two excursions through Apple. The horseback riding was cool to ride a horse in the sea, but the rest was a lot of waiting to get on and off horses. The other excursion was seeing the 2nd lgest falls and a tour of the Appleton distillery....this was good except first part you look for crocodille s too long, but the falls were AMAZING and not that full of people....and the rum was worth the money :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jennifer s
Write a ReviewReviews (5,647)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Where to start,.....our holiday was booked through Thomsons and was completely hassle free,we upgraded on the flight and it was worth every penny....only slight drawback was when I asked what currency to take I was told,only take Jamaican dollars....wrong,should have taken us dollars as they convert Jamaican dollars to American in the hotel and you do not get the best exchange rate....when I got back and changed my money back into English at their Crayford branch I mentioned the above to the cashier and was rudely "put down" and told I was wrong.
enough said on that,.The holiday was great, from Christine ,the rep,who was always smiling and helpful and I must say the best holiday rep I have ever come across....the staff at the hotel were so friendly and welcoming,brilliant is the word I used,the rooms were really good and clean,block 1 is the most convenient,....Paul the singing barman is something else,see him on youtube, I don't know how he does it....the food....no complaints at all ,very very good and so fresh with a massive range of choice....the entertainment became a bit repetitive after a while and to me a bit boring although the staff work really hard,they really can only dance and be personable and its an individuals choice if you want to watch this,day and night...but would definitely recommend RIU Hotels....and thank them for a really great holiday.

Room Tip: block 1 not too much walking
2  Thank davethedriver24
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had a great vacation overall. I requested a room in buildings 1 or 2 and upon check in, I learned that they upgraded us to oceanfront, that was a pleasant surprise! Our room was nice, no complaint there. Absolutely no bugs in our room. No ants or roaches like others are complaining about. And they do fog the entire resort every single day.

The beach could use some more sand and grooming as it was hard and lots of broken shells but the water is what I went for and it did not disappoint! Beautiful, warm and calm! Just watch out for the sea urchins, they were everywhere. And there were tons of starfish in the water!
The venders were downright annoying, but I got used to them towards the end of the week.
Bring Bug Spray! I brought home at least 100 sand flea bites and they itch like hell.
The food was ok. Not gross but not anything to write home about. It was very difficult to get reservations unless you are up at 7 am. We tried every morning around 9 am and they were booked already. We finally got in at Sir Andrews gourmet and it was awful...the dessert was good though.
I enjoyed the entertainment...it was cheesy at times, but I didn't expect much more that what I got. There were a few acts that were great and a few nights I left with my jaw hurting from laughing so hard.
Be prepared to "say no to drugs"! My husband and I were approached numerous times on the resort to buy weed and a local approached me stating he was the "pharmacist" and asked what I need. No big deal, we said no and they moved on.

I got in the pool/bar one time and it was seriously disgusting. there were white floaters everywhere. it was the dirtiest pool I have ever seen. That didn't bother me...I just headed back to the beach which is what I went for. I have pools at home.

Our onsite Apple Rep, Yoneaka, was amazingly helpful and so friendly!
Paul the singing bartender was great! so much fun to enjoy a cocktail while listening to him!

Others are not exaggerating when they say to request bldgs 1 or 2, as it really is a far walk. It didn't bother me to make the walk to bldg. 2 except that its a pain when you forget something and just need to make a quick run to the room.

Loved seeing the crabs and lizards everywhere!

We went on the catamaran trip to Ricks Café and snorkeling and I highly recommend it. The boat was top of the line with a DJ, open bar, and a water slide off the back and the staff was beyond friendly and professional! We had a blast on the boat and met some great new friends.

I loved Jamaica and will definitely return to Bloody Bay for the beautiful and calm waters.

Room Tip: I emailed the resort in advance to request bldg. 1 or 2 and we got bldg. 2 plus they upgraded us to...
5  Thank punkyntif
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 8 days (7 nights in June).
It was not a good vacation experience.
Check-in went smoothly. But there was sweltering heat and humidity. We couldn't wait to get to our room to turn on the air conditioning. We get to our room an hour later we are still sweating as if we had just run a marathon. We call the front desk and they say they will send someone to check. 4 hrs later... still no one has come. So I go down and they act surprised that no one has come to fix it. After dinner I stop by the desk again and i am told it was fixed. We return to the room and there is no change.
I went back down to the front desk and tell them I need it fixed... or I need a new room. They tell me I have to wait until the morning. I tell them I would like to check out and go to another hotel... and miraculously they have another room available. We move into the new room... and it is marginally better. Not great..... but tolerable. After checking with the company we booked our trip through... it would be difficult and expensive to change resorts.
We reluctantly decided to stay.
The power went off several times during our stay. They ran out of pool towels every day. They ran out of wash cloths. Even though it was "all inclusive" and they restock the mini-bar everyday... we were limited to 2 bottles of water each day.
During our stay we spoke with several other guests with similar complaints. It seems the AC issue is the same in all the rooms.
Did I mention the 1990 - 19" tube TVs in every room? I recently stayed at a Motel 6 that had a 32" inch flat screen.
Most of the staff seemed eager to please... but the place is obviously not well managed. The entertainment was tacky... and the entertainment staff thought it was funny to single out individual guests and to insult them in front of 100s of people,
I could write volumes more.... but you get the jist.

Room Tip: get a room in building 1 or 2. Even building 2 is a considerable walk from the dining areas.
2  Thank Bill B
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my first experience with a RIU property. I have traveled to Jamaica before and stayed at Sandals in Montego Bay and had an absolute amazing time!!!!! However, our stay at the Club RIU Negril was no where near what I expected out of what they are calling a 4 STAR resort. I am not that hard of a judge on resorts when I travel I usually do stay at a 4 or 5 star resort, but on occasion I have stayed at a few 3 star rated resorts and had a lovely experience with no complaints and enjoyed myself very much... BUT the RIU no never again... to be fair I will give the positives first... Checking in was easy they had a room available even though we arrived before check in. The resort was pretty and seemed clean with an open entryway that gave you an instant view of the ocean as you walked onto the resort. We were greeted with a refreshing beverage right away which was nice after the long hot ride from the airport. The rooms were okay... they look just like the picture so that I did expect. The jerk chicken (on the beach) was very tasty.. MOST of the staff were nice and friendly..and the entertainment was good. The best adventure is off of the resort though.. Now for the bad....our room was overrun with COCKROACHES, we killed at least 5 to 6 cockroaches a day.. I tried to blow dry my hair and when I turned the blow dryer on a roach ran out of the back of the dryer... there was a dead cockroach in our refrigerator and we had to sleep with all of the lights on to avoid being attacked by roaches. I do expect bugs at a tropical place because of the forestry areas BUT I DO NOT EXPECT TO SEE COMMON HOUSEHOLD COCKROACHES at a resort that is supposed to be a 4 star. I have never ever ever experienced roaches at a resort before.. the roaches were not just confined to the room either.. when we went to dinner the hostess walked us to our seat and she killed one on the table and tried to remove it "incognito" without me seeing it but I saw it. I also observed one run across the floor while we were eating. During lunch time we hardly ever ate in the lunch area due to the swarm of flies...ALL OVER THE FOOD!!!! we mostly ate the jerk chicken at the beach or just didn't eat... one day my son did not feel well and he didn't want to eat and he only wanted a glass of apple juice.. he went to the lunch area and poured a glass of apple juice from the dispenser and he was confronted by one of the workers who told him to pour the apple juice out and put the cup back because lunch time didn't start for another 15 minutes.!!!!! seriously no exaggeration!!!! this is supposed to be a all inclusive anytime is the right time right!! another time we again tried to have lunch and my son sat at the table first... and on the table there were silverware and a paper napkin... when I sat down my son told me that the lady told him not to use the silverware on the table and to get one out of the bucket. WHAT!!!! why would you put silverware on the table that people are eating at if you don't want them to use the silverware....if it's for later then set up the table later... needless to say I made it a point use ALL of the silverware on the table and put it in the center of the table...where they would have to replace it with clean silverware for the next person... I wouldn't want some one eating over silverware that I was going to use... another incident we had is my niece and daughter went to the bar to get a drink and the staff that was up there told them NOT to come back up there wet again because he just mopped the floor.. and he was very rude...my daughter told him she was going to the bar and he told her to use a different bar next time.... The drinks were okay.... most of the time.... My overall experience was just OKAY... I have traveled A LOT and as I stated before... the majority of the time I do not complain.... but I had always wanted to stay at a RIU but I think I will be very hesitant to try another one..Although the couple that I meet said she stayed at the RIU in Spain and it is listed as a 3 Star and It was MUCH better then the Club RIU Negril..

Room Tip: With an ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Myra W
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me start by saying that my husband and I are in our mid 30's and have visited the Dominican Republic twice and the Rivera Maya once. After visiting Jamaica I can say that I do not think that we will be returning - I found the constant hounding for tips to be a bit much (from the people selling items on the beach to the resort sponsored night time entertainment of a fire dancer).
Here is my break down of the good/bad

Good:
- the dancers are great - they are full of energy and dance ALL day long...their energy level is amazing!
- the cleaning service is fantastic! I was amazed at how well they were able to keep the room clean and sand free
- the food - there is a wide variety of food and the fruit is of course delicious. the meat carving stations are great too.
-the pool with the waterfall was super clean
- there are a ton of chairs on the beach
- we found the BEST driver in Negril - James (James Clarke Tours) - he was outstanding!!! Give him a call ((876) 460-2333 or 443-9887) if you want to leave the resort. He is trust worthy & a good driver. He showed us all around Negril including Rick's Cafe, Blue Hole Mineral Springs, road side fruit stands that will serve you fresh coconuts...you ask for it and James will find it! He has a van that can fit up to 10 people - but he was happy to just take my husband and I around the area for a price much better than the ones listed on the taxi service stand.
- you can get a very good deal on massages at the salon - ask for Venetia - she was great!

Bad
- sand flea...I wore bug spray most of the time and still came home with over 60 bites!!!
- if someone does something for you - they want a tip. Please understand that I have no problem tipping for services (bartenders, servers, cleaning people, etc) and I know that Jamaicans don't have a lot of money - but if I am on a hotel property (all inclusive) I do not think I should have to tip for every little thing (i.e. "I helped you get out of your paddle boat, you should help me out for that", taxi desk service woman at the resort stating she was out of minutes on her phone, but could call if we gave her $2)....it gets a bit ridiculous.
- be advised that the non-motorized sports are free (paddle boats, kayaks, snorkels/googles) - although we spoke to a couple who was charged for it because the asked someone on the beach for it and did not go up to the building.
- snorkeling requires a $25 deposit for each pair of goggles/snorkel you use - also be advised that snorkels are not always available because they use them up when the boats go out on snorkeling trips - so you may want to pack your own
- the pool with the bar was pretty dirty - lots of thing floating around, I have never had that issue at other resorts with pool bars

Overall we had a good time, but probably will not return to Jamaica or a Riu property - we were just not that impressed. Please feel free to message me with any questions.

4  Thank suseng
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My partner and I stayed here the first two weeks in May. We had an exceptionally nice time, and found it very good value for money. The room was exceptionally spacious, and kept very clean by the maid. The whole resort was kept immaculate; constantly cleaners, gardeners and ground staff working to keep the place looking its best. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. There was always a good selection of food on offer and of good quality. We never experienced any problems getting tables in the evening in the "speciality" restaurants which so many people seem to complain of. There is always room for improvement no matter where you go, but our overall experience was exceptionally good, and we did not experience anything that in any way tainted our holiday or would prevent us from going back to Jamaica or this resort.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jon S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 80 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!