Let me start by saying that my husband and I are in our mid 30's and have visited the Dominican Republic twice and the Rivera Maya once. After visiting Jamaica I can say that I do not think that we will be returning - I found the constant hounding for tips to be a bit much (from the people selling items on the beach to the resort sponsored night time entertainment of a fire dancer).
Here is my break down of the good/bad
- the dancers are great - they are full of energy and dance ALL day long...their energy level is amazing!
- the cleaning service is fantastic! I was amazed at how well they were able to keep the room clean and sand free
- the food - there is a wide variety of food and the fruit is of course delicious. the meat carving stations are great too.
-the pool with the waterfall was super clean
- there are a ton of chairs on the beach
- we found the BEST driver in Negril - James (James Clarke Tours) - he was outstanding!!! Give him a call ((876) 460-2333 or 443-9887) if you want to leave the resort. He is trust worthy & a good driver. He showed us all around Negril including Rick's Cafe, Blue Hole Mineral Springs, road side fruit stands that will serve you fresh coconuts...you ask for it and James will find it! He has a van that can fit up to 10 people - but he was happy to just take my husband and I around the area for a price much better than the ones listed on the taxi service stand.
- you can get a very good deal on massages at the salon - ask for Venetia - she was great!
- sand flea...I wore bug spray most of the time and still came home with over 60 bites!!!
- if someone does something for you - they want a tip. Please understand that I have no problem tipping for services (bartenders, servers, cleaning people, etc) and I know that Jamaicans don't have a lot of money - but if I am on a hotel property (all inclusive) I do not think I should have to tip for every little thing (i.e. "I helped you get out of your paddle boat, you should help me out for that", taxi desk service woman at the resort stating she was out of minutes on her phone, but could call if we gave her $2)....it gets a bit ridiculous.
- be advised that the non-motorized sports are free (paddle boats, kayaks, snorkels/googles) - although we spoke to a couple who was charged for it because the asked someone on the beach for it and did not go up to the building.
- snorkeling requires a $25 deposit for each pair of goggles/snorkel you use - also be advised that snorkels are not always available because they use them up when the boats go out on snorkeling trips - so you may want to pack your own
- the pool with the bar was pretty dirty - lots of thing floating around, I have never had that issue at other resorts with pool bars
Overall we had a good time, but probably will not return to Jamaica or a Riu property - we were just not that impressed. Please feel free to message me with any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The All Inclusive ClubHotel Riu Negril open all year round, is located on Jamaica's west coast in the famous holiday area of Negril on the islands longest and most beautiful beach, is surrounded by lush tropical gardens. The location is ideal due to its proximity to Negril (6km) and Sangster International Airport Montego Bay (MBJ) is approx. 80 km away. The Riu Palace Tropical Bay hotel lies on the same beach about 1.5 km away. The hotel has 420 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. Relax with a massage at our Renova Spa or get in shape at our gym. 3 outdoor pools, 1 children’s pool. For the youngest guests, there is the RiuLand Kids Club (for children from 4 to 7 years & 8 to 12 years old) and for adults, day and evening entertainment and many water sport activities. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main buffet as well as Gourmet, Italian, Asian cuisine and Steakhouse, 5 bars situated in various areas of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Negril reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Hotel Negril
- Rio Negril
- Riu Negril Jamaica
- Riu Resort All Inclusive Negril