“Great resort”

Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa, Canada
“Great resort”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was one of the greatest resort I have been. The rooms were clean, the resort was clean, the food was excellent. The only shortfall of this resort was the supervisor responsible for the activities on the ocean. All I have to say is make sure that you plan to go to the activity and make sure of the price and enquire around the resort at the front desk to make sure. We were a group of 32 which had booked the outing to Nick's cafe however 4 could not make it at the last minute. We were given the run around to get our money back. We went everyday for a couple of times from Thursday to Saturday to get our refund for 45.00 for 2 people. The people working at the booth kept on telling us come back the next day to talk to the manager. The Supevisor on that Saturday, February 16 indicated to us that she had already gave a SPA voucher for 4 people to someone. I enquired and this was not true. We were due to leave the next day on Sunday. I did tell them that this was not good service and that they were not respectful and being honest to their clients.
Also the *A la carte* restaurants are hard to reserve. We were in line one hour in the morning to try and reserve the Italian restaurant and only got the 9:00 pm place reservations. There should be a better way to reserve these *A la carte* restaurants. I know some resorts you can request in advance to reserve these special restaurants. Look into this before you reserve.

Room Tip: We were on the second floors facing the east and facing the second resort. If you can get an ocean...
3 Thank Linda L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, ON, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was our second holiday at a Riu in Jamaica. Last year my husband and I stayed at the Riu in Ochos Rio. Both properties are beautiful. Well maintained and updated. They looked similar so it was easy to find our way around.

There were 2 things that were negative about this resort. The first thing was the bus ride from the airport, the driver was friendly and a good driver, but the ride was a little long and I felt like I was on a "roller coaster". I did not like going up mountains and down mountains and around bays and through towns again and again. Don't get me wrong, the country is beautiful and the towns are interesting to drive through, and it is neat to see the countryside. But it was long! The second negative for me was the layout of the resort. It is beautiful and clean, and the beach and water are perfect, but all the rooms are at the one end and the restaurants are at the total opposite end. If you wanted to take anything back to your room it was a hike. We were lucky we were in the second (of 4) building, I just wished the rooms were a little closer to everything.

We totally enjoyed every meal at the hotel, and I am very picky. We went to all 3 restaurants and loved them. The buffet had lots of variety that I felt changed often. One night there was lobster tails, as many as you could eat, and my husband took that challenge. He was happy all night!! One night they had prime beaf, it was outstanding, I had a rare piece that melted in my mouth. So for people that complained about the food - I don't know where they eat, but there was nothing to complain about.

The staff at the hotel were all friendly and tried to do what every they could to please us. Remember though, you get what you give. If you are nice to people they most likely will be
nice back to you. Also the entertainment staff never stopped. The aways were trying to get people up and moving and having fun. Trivia around the pool was a blast!!

Would I go back to Jamaica absofriginglutely!!! Can't wait to plan our next stay in this beautiful county. Would I go back to Negri - no, the beaches and resorts are just as good in Ochos Rio or Runaway Bay.

Room Tip: Ask for the first or second building, they are closer to the everything
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dawn S
Birmingham, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just got back from spending 6 days at Clubhotel Riu Negril (Feb 15-21). I traveled with a friend. There were a lot of couples at the resort, but also other singles who were there with friends or family, and families with small children. Vacationers from many different countries – USA, Canada, Italy, France, UK etc. Many of those vacationing were smoking and it was frustrating to be eating your meal and have someone light up right next to you. This would be my only complaint.

Check-in/Room
We checked in at the lobby, very easy check-in. We walked to our room, which was pre-booked for an Ocean Front view. This is the way to go. We were in building one – room 1250. There are four buildings so if you are put in a further building, expect a walk. Our bags were delivered shortly after we found our room. I am very particular about hotel rooms and especially pillows. I slept great each night.

There are 3 themed restaurants and the Main Buffet.
Sir Andrew – Gourmet (didn’t eat here)
Luigi – Italian (food was okay)
Shadows - Steak House (enjoyed this meal the best)

For the themed restaurants you have to book 2 days in advance – get in line before booking opens at 8 a.m. if you want a good pick. It was a nice change to be at a sit down restaurant, instead of the buffet. Our first couple dinners in the buffet were not the best, so we ate the pizza. But the last few days we ate in the buffet were really good.

Jerk Chicken for lunch on the beach was really good. We also ate in the Shadows buffet a number of days for lunch.

The hotel has 2 pools: there is the Party Pool with swim-up bar, and the more laid back pool (we laid out here everyday).

Beach – beach was okay, but the water was beautiful. We took a nice walk down the beach toward the other hotels. There is a lobster/crab shack next to the hotel, came highly recommended by other guests, but we didn’t eat there. As you walk down the beach there are many locals who have their shops set up and are selling various merchandise.

Entertainment Staff (especially Spiderman, Shadrick, and Pencil) worked hard to make an enjoyable experience for all. They try to encourage people to participate in games by the pool, beach or at night during the pre-show. They just want everyone to have a fun vacation. The entertainment team really made our vacation great and they worked non-stop to make sure the guests have a great experience. The shows at night were entertaining, some better than others.

A typical day around the hotel: 10 a.m. beach aerobics. Then around 10:30 a.m. is volleyball. Noontime the staff moves to the pool where they do water aerobics or water polo. Usually around 3 p.m. they come back to the pool for some type of game. 4 p.m. is soccer (football for those outside the US). Then they have early evening fun for kids, pre-show is typically at 9 p.m., followed by the evening show from 9:30 – 10:30 p.m.

All the other staff at the hotel were super friendly, from the bartenders (Kevin and Dalton), wait staff, and our maid introduced herself to us. Great people in Jamaica!

There is a Disco on-site at the hotel, which opens at 11 p.m. and stays open until 2 a.m. We went in the disco one night and had a great time. Other nights it wasn’t as busy.

Make sure to bring bug spray for the mosquitos and sand flies. They will get you. I read the reviews and brought bug spray, but we got to the hotel and the first night I didn’t put it on. Mosquitos normally bite me, so I had tons of bites all over me after the first night. I put bug spray on every night after and didn’t have any problems.

There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby for 90 minutes a day, per device. A few days we were able to get it from the pool, just depending on where we were laying.

4 Thank Lauren H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I would rarely take the time to write a review but after reading some of the comments on here I felt obliged to share our opinion. I would say I am very picky when it comes to choosing hotels and holiday destinations and felt a little nervous it would not meet our expectations. However, we had nothing short of a brilliant time at this hotel. It may not compare to places like the Dorchester or the Ritz (if you compare star ratings) but it still had a fairly luxurious feel to it. The grounds were beautiful and exceptionally clean and the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms were pretty basic but clean without any bugs at all. Im not a fan of organised activity and hotel entertainment but the resort is big enough if you prefer a more quiet time. We stayed mainly on the beach as we did not fancy the pool with a bar in it (where sometimes guest got a bit loud and annoying), however there is a second pool which is quieter and more child friendly. Parts of the beach had some entertainment in the mornings but the beach is easily big enough if you fancy a more relaxed atmosphere. We found the sand lovely and the water warm and clear. The buffet food was varied and nice however we ate in the restaurants on three separate occasions (had to prebook but without much hassle -although granted this system could probably be improved on). Only minor drawbacks for us were the lack of good quality alcoholic drinks and sometimes the beach vendors could be a bit persistent. Our best day out was when one of the small fishing boats on the beach took us to some caves on the other side of the bay which were great for snorkelling. All in all we left feeling relaxed and satisfied and in love with the jamaican people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank emilyska1979
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 2, 2013

If this is your first trip to negril this resort would suffice, but if you have been to a nice resort in Negril this one will come up short of being your dream vacation. the staff in general is not very accomadating and they don't seem to worried about helping you have a good time. The beach is lacking and in need of alot more sand, but I must say that the sun was great. Our vacation was an Apple vacation so we booked our sunset cruise thru the apple rep,bad mistake we were bussed to Margaritaville where we sat around for forty five minutes waiting for the tour guide to show up, she had to go home and get her flip flops. The cruise was fine but upon returning to Margaritaville there was no transportation waiting for us they kept us there to spend money is what I imagine. The food was always good. If you have any mobility problems the restarants are on 1 end and the rooms are on the other.

2 Thank Gary A
Amboy, Illinois
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Let me start out by saying that the employees are the most important asset of any company. With that being said I found the majority of the staff unattentitive to your needs. There were few that seemed to be happy with what they were there to do and I cant help but wonder if thats for lack of wage or the disorganization and lack of preparedness of this resort.
Arrival day: bags brought to room....great. No soap in room...not so great. I went down to the lobby to fetch some they did not have,nor did any of the maids. Waited an hr and called again. After the #3rd call I gave up and overall it took 4 hrs to receive a bar of soap. Long story short ....they were unprepared. How does a resort of this magnitude run out of soap?
Day after day we never received the same amount of towels...no wash clothes for 2 days...yes REALLY! Kleenux...well forget about those...we had 3 left from arrival day and they never refilled them even after asking ...answer was 2 days ...2 days. Never received in 2 days...nor 4. I ended up pulling them off a maids cart.
Meals were good and not so good. Menu should be changed up somewhat a bit more and the Italian restaurant needs to have an Italian meal on the menu! Tips? really? Any 5 star I have ever stayed at has never expected tips nor were permitted to accept. All inclusive means just that. Sewage smell was horrible and this I find to be just unacceptable,especially while eating ,doors are opened ...YUK! Tvs were archaic,not that I watched much ....really old and remotes were touchy,in both rooms. AC was noisy.... Overall this resort needs a facelift,many things are broken or just plain need fixed touched up, We spent great money to go and feel it just was not worth the price . This is definitely not a 5* resort. Oh and another thing was the three restaurants? You have to wait in line to make the reservation. If you want to eat at 7pm,which is always 2 days out allready reserved, you better start lining up at 7:30am . The one person taking the reservations will be on duty in the lobby at 8am. If you are not there early ,chances are you will have to wait and make the 9pm reservation to eat or not eat in any of the restaurants. You will always have the option of the buffet restaurant without a reservation but like I said the menu could be changed up a bit more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kaeck4
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed March 1, 2013

While the resort itself is fine, the customer service is very poor. The spanish managers are very indifferent. We (4 of us) booked 6 weeks ahead of time and made several confirmations and when we arrived, the rates were all wrong. The Spanish manager on duty was very insolent and did not speak to us when we asked for him to clarify. We stood at the counter for a whole hour to check in and sort out our reservations and had it not been for the local agents at the front our vacation would have been ruined. There is no communication between the reservations office andthe Jamaican properties and no one wants to be bothered except the locals. the Spanish people in the reservations office do not communicate well enough with the English speaking guests. I agree with another guest that the king beds are just two beds pushed up togehter and no one really cares. Was perhaps the worst experience in all our vacations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends