“My wonderful weekend at RIU”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My weekend at RIU was wonderful, my kids and i stay there from the 18-20 January 2013......... the staff were friendly. the room was excellent, the food was hmmmmm........ great. my kids love the pool. the activities and nightly entertainment was magnificent . what more can i say about RIU than , it's a wonderful place to stay. Jamaica on a whole is a great place for tourist.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sweets32charm

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Club Riu for four nights at the end of January, and we would definitely recommend it to others. This was our second time in Negril, but our first time at Club Riu.

Overall, the hotel has everything you need to relax and enjoy your stay - food, drinks and plenty of beach. We stayed in Building 2. Our room was clean and our mini bar was stocked every day.

What sets this resort apart is the staff, especially the entertainment. The entertainment staff truly made our stay even more fun and memorable and kept us laughing the whole time! With all the activities and performances going on, there was never any reason to leave the resort. (Shout outs to Spotlight, Colorz, Pencil and Shadrick!)

The jerk chicken hut on the beach is another bonus. Unfortunately, we didn't take advantage of this until the last day, but had we done so sooner we would have had jerk chicken for lunch every day. It's so good! For most of our meals, we at at the buffet. There is something there for everyone.

If you have time, make sure you take advantage of the spa. We got massages on the beach the morning of our departure. It was a great way to end a wonderful vacation.

We really have no complaints. Stay at Club Riu!

Room Tip: I'd recommend requesting a room in Building 1 or 2 to be closer to everything.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AftonH
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our room was immaculate, and we were accomodated with a room in the first building when my husband requested it because of his bad ankle. The staff is all very friendly, and hard-working to please. The food was very good, and if anyone states they couldn't find anything to satisfy their appetitie, then they must be very picky. A wide variety of foods on all buffets. The make-to-order cooks are great, and the wait staff is very nice and attentive. We really enjoyed Paul the bartender at the lobby bar-he sings along to the music, and he has one fantastic voice. It is entertainment in itself-we relaxed there and had a couple of drinks every evening just to hear him sing. Check in and check out was quick-we purchased a phone card for $20 at the front desk which gave us 50 minutes to use to call back to the states-a minimal amount of around $1.60 for each connection was charged to our room-this was a great way to keep in touch with back home. It is very easy to get a taxi to take you to different places-we took a taxi to downtown Negril to do some souvenir shopping. Warning-the gift shops at the Riu are not ran by the Riu, and the personnel in those 2 shops are exactly the opposite from the Riu employees. They are rude. One customer expressed her shock at the cost of a small bottle of mouthwash, and the employee said: Welcome to Jamaica. T-shirts purchased downtown are much cheaper and just as nice-some are the same as the ones at the Riu gift shop. The beach is a beautiful, and I would like to suggest that if you would enjoy seeing the colorful fish, anemones, starfish,etc, go to the end of the beach that is across from building 4-5. This is where you get some wonderful views of sealife right near shore. My husband took a catamaran lesson for $20, so that we could go out on the catamarans provided there. We also went out on a paddleboat, and saw many sea creatures that way also. Jamaicans do try to peddle goods along the beach, but they can't get any closer to you than the high-tide water line. We purchased a hat that the man was making as he was walking along, and gave some musicians some money. The Jamaican people working at the resort are very hard workers, and really gained my respect. If you would like to take some excursions, I encourage you to check some of this stuff out before arriving-as some are much more reasonably priced than others. I would definitely recommend this Riu to others-we had a fantastic,relaxing experience. You get a map of the hotel when you check in, and within one day you should have the locations figured out for everything you need.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility problems, you should ask for a room on the first floor of the first buildin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JoniJSaunemin_IL
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am in love with Jamaica and its people. This resort was absolutely awesome!! The beach was incredible, always had lounge chairs available. There are peddle boats, snorkel gear, hobie cats, all available for your use. The beach had jerk chicken; a bar; a massage station; volleyball net; water aerobics; and music!!! The ocean was amazing and warm; swam in it every day. The buffet had delicious food and great selection every day. The weather was stellar!!! The staff were the nicest I have ever encountered - from the housekeeping, to the bartenders, to the food servers, to the front desk, to the entertainment staff who go out of their way to include you, and to the managers, --- all were incredibly friendly and helpful. I left after 2 weeks with not 1 bug bite. I always try to go someplace different, but this will be the exception. I will be returning to this resort. In my opinion, people who complain about this resort must be too spoiled and there for the wrong reason. Enjoy the sand, sun, water and people!!!! Life is too short not to enjoy.

Room Tip: Rooms do not have coffee makers or clocks, so if this is a concern bring one. I was in building 2...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank PennyMart
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just returned home and wanted to share the great time, experience on tripadvisor. After researching alot of resorts we went on a number of recommendations. Riu negril was awesome and much, much nicer then i envisoned or was reading about. The food was exceptional and we never even bothered to make reservations ate the sit down restaurants. we ate at the buffets and they were always great with lots of selection of chicke, fish and vegatables. all healthy choices. All the hotel workers in all areas were wonderful. Very accomodating and helpful,polite and friendly. we felt wanted and appreciated, and we appreciated them as well. The entertainment staff was phenomenal , with excellent shows and enthusiastic poolside and beach games. We found the rooms very well appointed and nice. Excellent pools and beautiful beaches. Like others have stated the shoreline water is cloudy, but clears past that. we took excursions to Y/S fall and Ricks which should not be missed. I arranged transport from Montego bay airport and on excursions with a fine gentleman, esperanza@cwjamaica.com, who was trustworthy and very nice. we had a wonderful time and enjoyed it so much

Room Tip: Buildings can be a far walk if you dont like to walk
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Third stay at Club Riu, Negril Jan 26-Feb 2 2013. My wife and I visited with another couple who had never been to Jamaica before. We booked with Apple, and the air and ground trans went without any problems.
The resort is nice, but I noticed a few things that have slipped. First night we had no pillow cases, no big deal. The overall condition of the property is a little worn. The beach, which is mostly man made is getting more rocky, and is not cleaned up daily like I remembered in the past. Also noticed more vendors walking this beach (private ?). There were no bananas available the entire week we where there. No dirty bananas... The entertainment has been the same for all three visits. The food on the buffets was good, but again I've had it all before.
On the upside. The majority of the employees are there year after year. It also seemed that there were more supervisory employees there. The hotel had a large quanity of beach and pool chairs, so the towel game was not as intense as it was in the past.

Room Tip: The beach is long and is much quieter on the North end. No elevators
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank redstripeinhand
Reviewed February 10, 2013

As the cab pulled up to the resort, i was greeted by the manager. He quickly helped us with our bags and immediately asked, "What would you like to drink?" While he was checking us in (which took less than 5 minutes), we already had our drinks in hand and a bell boy ready to take us to our room.
Before I left the US, i did some research... I wanted to learn about the Jamaican economy and what the workers are paid. I was shocked! Majority of Jamaicans make minimum wage. Which converts to a US currency amount of $39.26 for a full 40 hour week! So i decided, that as soon as I met my housekeeper I would tip her $25. She didn't say anything but "Thank you" but you could see her trying not tear up in joy. Everyday, she greeted us. Everyday, she asked if there was anything we needed. She went out of her way to stock up are fridge with all the water and soft drinks we could want, even though that was the mini bar stockers job (who only comes every other day). We had an abundance of towels. If we wanted more pillows, she got them. If we wanted our sheets changed daily, due to sand... she did it. She was friendly and sweet. I would try to help but she always said. "Sit down, let me take care of you! This is your break, your vacation!"
I did tip. Anywhere, from $1-$5 depending on the service, even if it wasn't required. Even with or without tipping... there wasn't much of a difference in service on the grounds or bars. They were always friendly and wanting you to have a great time.
When booking this trip, i was nervous due to some reviews. One was the food. Trying to get reservations at the 3 restaurants. They recently changed their policies. You are only allowed to book two days in advance. This gave everyone an equal chance. I do recommend you go to the lobby at 8am to get the restaurant and time you want. However, the buffet is not bad at all! Me, my husband and my two children who are VERY PICKY eaters were satisfied beyond expectation!
The second was the towels. They are not stingy with towels at all! You are given a few towel cards. Each card allows one towel at the beach or pool. All they ask is that you return your wet towel in exchange for a new dry one. You can do this over and over again, no limitations! When you are done for the day... return your towels to get your cards back for the next day. If you don't get there in time before sunset, no problem, you can just exchange them in the morning!
I only had one or two complaints. The beds were a little firm for my liking but my husband loved them! And second, selfishly, is that I did not discover their YUMMY Piña Coladas until the day before I was suppose to leave!
I had a fabulous trip! Great family fun! I also recommend that you go down the beach to the left by the glass bottom boat tours are. They have people cooking fresh lobster and they were fabulous, served with a nice garlic butter!
*** A tip for first time travelers to Jamaica... except for gift shops and other "staples" at the resort... you can negotiate price on almost everything! There is a taxi cab stand up front in the lobby, always talk to the driver personally. You can try to negotiate a price with them one on one. You should be able to get at least a 20%+ off the price. For instance, the stand said $100 for a ride to Montego Bay Airport, but we got him down to $80. (This also goes for bartering at the airport for a taxi to the resort. $80 is a more than fair price) When going to buy from venders (ie glass bottom boat, jet skis, etc)... barter for better prices! Barter for prices for jewelry, getting put braids in your hair, etc. All those venders will work with you on price! Expect at least 20% but sometimes you can get them down 30-40%+ depending on who you deal with. Don't be scared to walk away because there are so many venders and they want your business. 9 times out of 10 they will change their mind and come after you ! Travel with alot of $1 & $5 bills. Many venders will say they do not have change, to try to get more money out of the deal.

Had a great time at Club Riu Negril! I will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
10  Thank AndiElli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!