“Good hotel, not great”

Ranked #27 of 81 Hotels in Negril
River Falls, WI
“Good hotel, not great”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I would put this hotel at a solid 3 star resort. Overall I felt safe and it was clean, the people were friendly and nice. I love the location on the beach, this little stretch of beach holds this resort, the RIU Palace and Couples Negril. I believe there is a Superclubs on the end, but I've heard that is being bought out, so I'm not sure what that will be soon.
Some people don't like the seclusion feel to this resort, but I felt more 'safe' if that's the right word, here. When you go over to the long stretch, there are people everywhere, it's very busy and high energy out on the beach. Not at the RIU Negril, the beach is so much more laid back and not as high energy with riff-raff walking by. I loved it.
This hotel is on the end of the stretch of beach, so way on the end it is a little weedy, but not right out front, so that didn't bother us.
My one complaint has nothing to do with the staff or the hotel, it was the sunset....if you're wanting to see a good sunset, this is not a good place. The sun sets over these abandoned buildings that are a little bit further down, and you can't see the sun go dipping down into the water. I was disappointed by this.
If you're standing over by Couples Negril, or RIU Palace, the sunsets were better. So if you want to hoof it on down there, by all means....
Our room was larger than I had expected, so that was nice. It wasn't a suite by any means, but it felt roomy. The beds, however, were 2 double beds pushed together. And again, I'm flexible, so this wasn't the worst thing, but seriously??? Even the bedding was separate, so the beds were pushed together, but it wasn't even one bedspread, it was 2 sets of sheets, 2 blankets, and 2 bedspreads. I actually laughed when we walked in. I had heard about people getting rooms like this, but I had not experienced it myself. HA! We didn't ask for a new room or anything, it was fine. We had a view of the ocean, but we were not ocean front.
The buffet dining was so-so, and not that impressive. It was the first time in all of my travels that I sort of felt that cattle call feeling at dinner time. The buffet had plenty to choose from, it was just a lot of people in a large buffet restaurant all eating at the same time.
I didn't feel this at breakfast, only that one night at dinner...watching everyone make their way to the one buffet restaurant.
We made reservations for all the other nights, and those restaurants were much better, food was great.
The bars were good, alcohol was great, bartenders were very nice.
The swim up bar....omg, it was PACKED with people. I went to get a drink one time, and it took them like 10 minutes just to look at me. Needless to say, I didn't spend much time at the swim up bar.
There were 2 pools, one with the swim up bar (and the water looked a little cloudy mind you) and the other more quiet pool.
There was a little beach party one day, during the day, that was fun! The jerk chicken was amazing!!!
Overall a nice trip, and good hotel, if your expectations are right...

Room Tip: If you can swing it, splurge for the ocean front rooms here. It's worth it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank TAinWI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,389)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the RIU NEGRIL, Negril Jamaica.
food great, All the staff was wonderful, weather perfect!
We especially like our desk hotel manager, Theodore..he was extremely helpful..and kind.
The beds were of a concern to me...as we've stayed at many Dominican Republic RIU locations, and the beds at those locations are very hard, and uncomfortable, but to my surprise, the beds at the RIU NEGRIL are wonderful!!!

We will look forward to traveling back to Negril RIU again in the future..

Room Tip: when booking, be sure to ask for a close room to the hotel lobby, we had a room that was at the oppo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beverly S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

All in all, the resort is OK. We were looking forward to going on our honeymoon to this resort because we heard great things about it. We thought we were going to get the same beach as the seven mile beach, but that was not the case. This place is all the way at the end of the strip. The sand is hard as rock and dirty. The water was nice, the food was good. Great variety. The service was ok. Nothing exceptional. We were promised a room upgrade before we came because it was our honeymoon, but when we came, there was nothing available. When we were finally given the option of getting the upgraded room half way through our trip, it wasn't worth the hastle, because we had to pack our suitcases, bring them down to the concierge and then bring them back up to the same place just a couple of doors down. The actual upgrade included the view only. There was nothing different from the two rooms. The welcome package included a standard printed note (Happy honeymoon) and a rotten plate of fruit. No champagne, nothing. The excursion to Rick's cafe is not worth $50 per person. The open bar they have there only includes rum, warm beer and a reusable cup. They take you to rick's cafe for the sunset, but take you back on the boat right before the sunset. Totally not worth it. Save your money.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. The only difference is the view. Don't bother with getting an upgrade, u...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Constellation32
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited club hotel riu negril from 5th jan to 19th jan as a group of 6 (British) aged 20-30. Check in was very fast considering a large group arrived all at the same time, we were in our rooms within 10 mins, reception staff were very helpful, I reccomend you email ahead of your stay and request your room to be in building 1 as any other of the blocks are quite a long walk, I emailed ahead and my wishes were granted.

pleasantly surprised with the rooms, all of our rooms were clean and nobody experienced bed bugs, the bathrooms are large and the shower had good pressure which can be hard to come by in big hotels, the air con was really efficient. Yes the televisions are old but who cares, they have loads of channels and all the British football is shown live, the balconies are a good size with sliding doors and fly screens. The beds are very comfortable.

The beach is weird it's not man made but there are small bits of concrete in areas the beach at riu palace was a bit better, the water was clear most of the time it gets cloudy when the wind stirs it up but that's just nature. Lots of fish in the bay, you can swim out to the rocks and snorkell. Sailing boats are free to use and are a good way to explore the bay which is quite large you can go out for 45 mins at a time which is plenty of time. Peddle boats and kayaks are also free to use but very tiring :). On arrival we were told we were allowed to use the beach at the riu palace and could use the watersports equipment there as well.

The pool was average. It was a nice place to sit during the day time with plenty of sun in places and shade as well. All the sun loungers are usually reserved by half 8 so you need to get there early to get good seats. Some days the pool was a bit cloudy but there was always somebody cleaning it in the morning. There was always a good atmosphere around the pool with guests interacting with each other and the entertainment staff putting on activities and music. We only went in the pool that has the bar, the other pool with the waterfall is a bit quieter.

The bars around the resort are ok, I would say the bar in reception is best for the drinks, they serve red stripe beer and sometimes you get a tankard to drink from which has been chilled in the fridge, don't drink the wine it's really bad, but who goes to jamaica expecting good wine ? The pool bar was not good, there was always a really off putting smell which was probably due to not cleaning thoroughly, most of the bar staff were good but there was one big guy that worked in the bar above the pool that did absolutely nothing all day I never saw him lift a finger in 2 weeks, Kelly was really good and would walk around the pool offering people drinks from the bar. Romio was also very good he was a trainee and was very lively and polite much better than a lot of the experienced staff members. Cleanliness needs to be improved in the bars to overcome the bad smells.

The food was good quality the buffets had all the Jamaican specialities and some international foods, breakfasts were great with loads of choice. We ate at the gourmet restaurant one night, it's not gourmet but it was really good, I had snapper which was lovely my friends all had fillet steak with was huge, about 10 ounces lovely and tender too. You need to book the restaurants early in the day. Service in the buffet was good but sometimes slow, we found it hard sometimes to find a table set up for 6 but never had to wait too long. Got a bit bored of the food after 2 weeks but I've never been to an all inclusive where I haven't been bored after 2 weeks.

The entertainment was very good, all the staff were very enthusiastic and full of energy, spotlight, colour and shadrick were always up for a laugh or a chat and we got to know them all quite well. The shows are always entertaining and different. They have musicians performing every night. The steel drummers were the best.

Overall we had a great holiday in jamaica and none of the issues I hilighted bothered us much, I just thought I would mention them to help out others,after speaking to other travelers I gathered that this hotel attracts a younger group than the riu palace so I would reccomend it to people looking to party hard because they have a disco which can get quite busy during peak times, were we're a easy going group and we met loads of people mainly American and Canadians. I'm not really the kind of person to return to the same hotel more than once but I will definitely go back to jamaica but probably not this hotel unless it gets the upgrades it needs. Thanks for a great holiday !

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank pie1106
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Sure isn't a 5 star .....food was fine no bug bites on the beach or in our room ...room was ready at noon when we got there ...drinks are great beer always cold ....if you don't get your fridge restocked just ask they are more than willing to get what u need !!! All around my opinion very relaxing cold drinks and good food with clean rooms!! Down side was ac in room 2051 sucks and the locals on seedoos and walking the beach get a little much!!!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank upsetottawa
Montreal
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Everything at the hotel was very good and exceeded our expectations. The staff was most courteous, helpful and honest. We left two I-Pads at our table after dinner and the staff promptly returned them to us. I think many guests wouldn't have been so honest if they had found them first! Even the vendors on the beach were considerate and didn't hawk their goods upon seeing our grandchildren napping on the beach. Everyone was most accommodating and welcoming toward the children. The food was surprisingly good and varied (buffet and full-service dining). Also, there was entertainment every evening. I look forward to returning for our next 'sunshine' holiday.

Just a little warning - the advice of our Sunwing representative and others was to buy our rum and coffee in downtown Negril. We purchased both items from the SONA DUTY FREE SHOP in downtown Negril. Big error - their coffee was $25 per pound and rum was $22 a bottle. The exact same items were offered at the airport duty free shop for $15 and $10 and this is their regular price.

Room Tip: If travelling with young children, request building 2 - which is not too far away from facilities b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank YingGee
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I recently made my 7th trip to the lovely Island of Jamaica. Jamaica is not just a Caribbean Island. It's the most beautiful, luscious and heavenly place on this earth. My brother tied the knot there in 2006 and me and my family have never looked back since! The staff at Clubhotel Riu Negril are outstandingly brilliant. From the maids to the entertainment staff. From the lifeguards to the security. The friendliest nation I have yet been to. We have made some lovely friends from out there and I am simply itching to get back on that plane and get back to my home from home. Negril in Jamaica! So please, if your reading this and your indecisive on whether to book it or not, please. BOOK!!! If I could sum up Riu Negril in one word... BLISS

Room Tip: All rooms are brilliant! If you have a young child, request ground floor room as there are no lifts!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JessicaStanley0604
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!