“Jamaica Yes - Riu Negril No”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Expect a 3.5 star hotel and you will be pleased.

The air conditioner in our room was as loud as a jet engine. We had to turn it off and go with just the fan. We spilled a coke in the fridge on the first day and it was never cleaned the entire 7 days. Our room was cleaned at about 5pm daily even though we were out most of the day.

The food was ok, the room was ok.

Saving graces were the beach, the staff and the Jamaican people. We are definitely going back to Jamaica but not the Riu Negril.

1  Thank SeoTrainingToronto
Write a ReviewReviews (5,707)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Went there as a guest for a destination wedding in early December 2012. The party consisted of 40 people over half of us were sick with stomach related issues including salmonella poisining,gastral enteritus,diarrhea and vomiting. Saw a cockroach at the buffet on top of supposively clean dishes, informed staff who quickly shoved it into one of the back rooms.My wife ended up in hospital 1.5 hours away in montego bay, other people came back to Canada only to end up in hospitals, here.The fire alarm went off several times, the water was turned off at 12:30 AM with no wanings. My telephone was turned off at least 3 hours before check out, could not even call the hospital to check my wife's status. Had to use the front desk telephone and a 10usd charge. Some of us who were able to make it to the beach were being eaten alive by the sand flies, myself had to take Benedryl and constantly use cordozone cream for treatment.On the plus side the entertainment staff was great,very professional. The grounds,the beach bar and the jerk served on the beach was wonderful, plenty of seating and beach chairs to accomodate everyone. Regardless I would never vacation there again. This hotel should not be a 5 star,certainly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sam I
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Food was great, staff was friendly. Only thing the bathroom needs a little renovating. Which the were gonna do I was told in a few month. Other than that. It was great. The entertainment was nice. . I dance my feet off most of the time after dinner lol. I like that every dinner night they had different menu like Mexican or Jamaican . The beach area was clean, staff were friendly. While we were there , we had a hurricane that pass near by the island, but we were lucky it didn't hit the island with force, they reported damages over some part of the country, also we lost Internet services or 3 day. That didn't felt good. Lol, but we manage without the Internet .

Room Tip: Rooms near to the main entrance .
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just got back from 5 days at RIU and booked as a last second trip a few weeks before hand. Most resorts were sold out but it still seemed most people had a good time here. Most everything you read here is pretty spot on. Make sure to request building number 1 ahead of time, it will be well worth you effort. I had a king sized bed in my room ins building number 1 that was NOT two beds pushed together. The food is what it is. Breakfast in the morning is perfectly fine and all you need to know for lunch is the jerk chicken bar on the beach. The buffet leaves something to be desired and the private dinning areas are a little step above and reservations are to come by.

If you are expecting five star food, then go stay at the five star resort and pay the five star price. The staff at this location is absolutely amazing. Everybody from the bellmen to cleaning staff, tip them a few extra dollars and your room bar will be re-stocked every day. The entertainment staff is exceptional, they go out of their way to make sure guests are having fun, they truly work 16+ hour days and probably should be paid more then they get.. wonderful job done by the staff.

You are in Jamaica so relax, if you want to be nit-picky about every detail then pay more money and go to a five star resort. Everything you could possible need and want to do is here at RIU. We also found that the overwhelming amount of guests at this resort were very friendly and did little to complain.

Again, make sure you get building 1, even 2 isn't that bad of a walk. Make reservations or try to. More importantly, relax MON, you are in Jamaica and life is good.

Airport Transportation: If you want to have a private shuttle, which I highly recommend over taking a bus that makes multiple stops, then you need to get in touch with Patrick Grandison, owner of Esperanza Tours. Patrick is a negril local and has been in the business for 20+ years, full of knowledge and just overwhelming a good person. I found him based on another trip advisor post and I cannot stay enough good things about him. Travel in style and get private transportation, trust me it is well worth it.

Disclaimer - I'm a certified travel agent and I was skeptical of this location based on certain reviews, etc. I was pretty well informed on the property based on the reviews and although the food was the biggest issue, it would not keep me from going back again, especially for the price.

Room Tip: Building 1
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jerry C
Reviewed January 2, 2013

If it wasn't for the (occasional) reggae music - this resort would be tricky to place in the awesome Negril, Jamaica!

The service is great on the first day, this is so the staff is able to properly peg your tip level.... You'll quickly learn no tip is enough for service to match the client. Lots of less than friendly people working at Riu, I was almost embarrassed for the staff lame food and lame entertainment and very lame service!

Room Tip: Get rooms in block 1 to avoid lengthy walks for food and beverages.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The fire alarms went off 5 times in one week and we had to evacuate the building as the hotel manager was unaware of the problem and told us to ignore it. There were no assembly points to go to.

On two days over theChristmas period the hotel ran out of food.

The room was infested with cockroaches.

Electrical equipment in the room was faulty and live cables were exposed.

The hairdryer in the room fused dramatically on two occassions.

No food was labelled hence anyone with allergies were open to illness or maybe something morre serious.

Food was not properly cooked so not only myself but other guests were ill and unwell.

The entertainment in the hotel was of a very poor standard considering it is a platinum resort.
this hotel should be a 2 to 3 star

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jan T
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed 5 days over the Christmas to New Year's week. Having read the reviews, I don't think I had too high expectations for the resort, but we were disappointed overall. The property itself is very lovely, and nicely kept. The beach is as others have noted, mostly man-made, rough and rocky on the shore and mucky in the water. Definitely not as nice as resorts further south in the Bay and on Long Beach. Our rooms were in building 1 and closest to the pools, restaurants and activities, although a walk to the far end of the property was only maybe 5 minutes more. Having been to Grand Palladium in Lucea, this resort is much more compact!
We were greeted promptly at arrival with a drink from the bar, and although we were told our 2 rooms would be side by side and connected by the inner hallway, when our rooms were finally ready, they were not the rooms we were initially promised. There was only one room between them. Rochelle in Guest Services did a great job and had us moved across the hall the next day so we could have the rooms together. The rooms were very nice and spacious.
My main complaint with this resort is the quality of the food service. The food items served at the buffet seldom varied. Don't get me wrong - there was A LOT of food, just not much variety, and most of what we had was over or undercooked, or not fresh. Meat was tough, potatoes mushy, rice dried out, etc. For me the best part was the cheese and salad bar. Even the fruits had very little variety and few choices - watermelon every day, sometimes cantaloupe, once fresh pineapple, peeled tangerines and apples (apples??) every day. Never saw a banana. We are not picky, but I do like that the food be prepared nicely and not overdone and tough. We could not get reservations for the sit-down places so I only experienced the buffet. The one exception was the jerk hut on the beach - WOW was that good!! I stocked up on chicken at lunch so I could get by with salad and cheese at dinner. I did hear that there was an outbreak of food borne illness just before we arrived and I don't know if that impacted the food choices or preparation.
Another odd thing is that there is no bar service at the restaurants. For lunch and dinner at the buffets, there is a beer tap or jugs of wine as self-serve. Some of the wait staff would get your wine or beer for you, but you could serve yourself. You could bring your own drinks in from the bar if you wanted something other than beer or wine. Also, no lime (juice or fresh) at the bars.
The resort did not have that Jamaican feel. For my husband and I, this was our 12th trip to Jamaica and we've been all over the island. The warmth of the people is one of the things that keeps us coming back. We met many lovely folks working there, but there seemed to be quite a few unhappy people, too. The resort just had an odd feel to it, not what I'm used to from a Jamaican resort.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to everything, choose building 1 or 2.
1  Thank Lisa C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 80 in Negril
Negril Tree House Resort

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!