“We loved it!”

Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Chicago
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We just returned from ClubHotel Riu Negril and had a great time! The staff at the hotel were all very helpful; Paul at the Welcome bar provided some great entertainment!! Definitely go to Rick's Cafe on the Catamaran, Horseback riding in the ocean through Chukka and float down the river on a bamboo raft up in the mountains (all booked through Apple and the Caribe Scuba located on the beach). I wanted to provide more suggestions for future travelers than complaints, bring some bug spray if you plan to be on the beach if it is cloudy or later in the day. As on many Caribbean beaches I have learned this beach has sand bugs that bite (I was told by the locals that Aloe will keep them off, but nothing some OFF won't also do). These bugs are not unique to the hotel, so don't blame them!! Eat some of the lobster from the guys on the beach, we tried the closest place to the hotel and it was amazing!! You can hold your lobster or crab while it is still alive, get a lesson on how to prepare it, and watch it cook on the grill!! If you want to snorkel it is best to bring some of your own basic gear because it was always checked out by the cruises to Rick's and overpriced to buy it there. Take cash, the ATM was always running out of money, but "no problem" we would walk down the beach to the other RIU hotel and their ATM was always working, just a little inconvenient. The SPA was awesome!! We got massages the second day we were there and they were fabulous, Derreisha did a great job!! I wish I could list all of the names of the staff members who helped us, but it would literally be too many! In all I would have to say that for the price this was a great trip and we are definitely considering going to this resort again!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Building 1, we loved it!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca60620

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,343)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hagensborg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We first went to the Riu in Negril in 2003 and have returned at least once (sometimes 3 times) a year every year since (this year excluded). In a sense this review is well over due as I cannot comment on the current state (the last time we went was July 2011).
Admittedly, we did see a lowering of standards a couple of years back but this improved in 2011 when everything seemed to have improved, from the food to the general maintenance.
We have visited in most months over the years, ranging from March to September inclusive. We got a great deal with Thomson and were always treated like royalty as returning customers to the hotel (definitely worth getting a Riu Card if you like the hotel chain).
The staff couldn't do enough for us and proved great for inside local knowledge on places to go and places to avoid.
The type of holiday you get depends on the time of year you go. If you like your patch of paradise quiet, obviously dont go during the summer holidays or spring break, this is a family friendly hotel, it has activities for kids of all ages (even the big kids like us) managed by the hilarious and waky entertainment team, so be aware of this if you are looking for a quiet break, the school holidays and spring break are probably the best time to go to the sister riu hotel a few metres down the road for a less of a family feel.
As for the location, its no more than a few minutes taxi ride to downtown Negril, you can book a taxi through the hotel or go to the taxis accross the road from the hotel if you want to hone your haggling skills as it is often considerably cheaper (as is paying in JA$, there is a money shop in the town that do a geat deal on any currency into JA$, it will work out cheaping in the long run.
The main thing I think, for getting the most out of your holiday, is dont be afraid, the hotel is great (maybe not a 5* but sill a great atmosphere about it) but if you don't go out and explore then you will not get the real sense of how amazing this country and its people really are. Have your wits about you but, go out, talk to staff in the hotel and have fun, everyone is up for a laugh and a joke, soak up the atmosphere as well as the sun!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area are quietest, we always stayed in room 1140 :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Victoria B
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

A dream holiday was had at this superb hotel and resort.
Food accomodation and location excellent.Own bar in your room was a big bonus and to cap it all the weather was on average 87 degrees all the time we were there.Vist Rick's Cafe for a wonderful sunset and diving display by a bunch of crazy Jamaicans.I would go back again if I were a person who returns each year but I like different adventures.
This is a hotel/resort to visit.

Room Tip: No need all rooms are the same and well appointed
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank george w
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

The first few days were great. This was our 5th time in Jamaica and we were excited to stay at the Rui.
Unfortunately there was ecoli bacteria in the food. My son and husband became very sick 4 days were spent in the hotel room. The staff was nice and switched rooms for us because it was uncomfortable staying in a room where they were sick.
They saw the doctor and lucky we had travel medical insurance and a visa.

As I spoke to the people in the hotel MANY MANY others were sick as well. They were unsure if it was viral but we found out it was bacterial when we came home.

I was afraid to eat so we paid out of pocket to go to the Hilton in MoBay-it was night and day.
The beach in Negril was nice but I would rather stay in a comfortable hotel and leave the resort for "day trips" to get the island "feel"
I always read the reviews and think "everyone has different standards" and i thought maybe they are uptight or lying- and I know we are pretty easy going, we have stayed at the Grand palladium, Bahia twice and the holiday inn. Let me say that the Rui was a disappointment and I was ready to never return to Jamaica.
Jamaica has safe water but the illness really ruined our trip (and other people's for sure)-so if u don't want to be cleaning up vomit or carting stool samples through the lobby to the doctors please take some meds before you go to this resort!
The rooms were musty but typical to all inclusive style- no bed bugs but yes sand fleas -we sprayed off everywhere the first night and they were gone.
Nice beach , staff didn't seem as friendly as other resorts BELINDA in the spa was great.
We did the catamaran to ricks and had a great time (before they got sick)
Typical Spanish resort in Jamaica but please trust to go off resort -we always have great day trips enjoy! Ck out 7mile beach if u go to Negril! Fun day.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sickatrui
Edmonton Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I am commenting as someone who does not normally do all inclusive resorts as it is not my favorite kind of holiday. I am guessing though that if you can satiate your self with in-house activities such as suntanning, eating, drinking and enjoying evening performances, this resort rates right up with the best. I will simply comment on a few pros and cons regarding the experience:

Cons:
-The 60-90 minute cab rides from Montego Bay to Negril are not for the faint of heart. More like a crazy ride at Disneyland.
-Once on the resort, smart people don't leave as a pedestrian. I of course like to walk so I walked along the main road and was exposed to a barage of persistent but generally polite drug dealers and illegal taxis trying to make a living. I would never leave after dark.
-The chain of 3 story accommodations do not have great sound proofing so late night drunks and noisy neighbors could pose a problem. The rooms are very adequate and spacious and comp bar well stocked. Surprisingly, the rooms have no clocks, no note paper or pens and no instructions on how to dial front desk or room to room.
-Your 90 minutes free wifi in the lobby caused a lot of complaints as it has to be used all at once and it often cut out and that was automatically the end of your free wifi for 24 hours.
-One pervert waiter agressively sexually harassing my daughter by begging her for sex and displaying his impressive array of condoms.

Pros:
-Considering this is a place catering to Europeans, half of which seem to smoke, the smoke was never an issue.
-Minor issues with a leaky shower head and dead safe battery were quickly rectified.
-Hundreds of chairs on the beach so always a spot to sit.
-A few good excursions such as catamaran to Ricks Cafe but bring a lunch and don't pay rip off prices. My favourite was the trip to Black River and YS falls. I enjoyed the sights of the drive there (real snap shot of Jamaica) as much as the 2 destinations.
-Very lively and colorful evening musical entertainment in the evenings.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who enjoys this type of isolated all inclusive vacation.

Gerry V
Edmonton AB

2 Thank Gerryjoseph
Decatur, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Just got back from our second stay at Club RIU, last one seven years ago. Our two children are now adults, and we all four had a great time! So many reviews are so negative, I was afraid the quality had diminished from our last visit. None of us had any problems or experienced any of the events people complain about when reviewing this resort. Bartender Lunick at the pool bar was outstanding, always cordial, and very hard working. Respect to you Lunick! No problems finding chairs at any pool or beach. The entertainment staff was very engaging and lively, great fun! We found the food to be very good, all service persons very helpful at all times. We stayed in the far end of building 2, right next to bldg 3, but didn't mind the extra walking at all. The grounds are very well kept, so the walk was enjoyable. Rooms are nice, but we weren't in them much, too much to do outside! We went on a sunset cruise to Rick's Cafe and Ziplining in the mountains, the ziplining was awesome! Nicholas, Ryan, and Ricardo at Chukka Zipline Canopy were great! We will return again for sure!

2 Thank Richard S
LaPorte, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned, taking my two adult children. I couldnt of been more pleased. I was also timid due to some negative reviews but I never saw anything at the resort like the reviews read. The entertainment staff was amazing and was always doing something for enjoyment. They were around from the time we were awake to the time we went to bed. My kids were in the same age group as the entertainment staff and they felt like they were friends and enjoyed the fun games. Sedrick and Panta and especially Kolorz were awesome!!!! Boy can they dance!! A very big KUDOS to them!! The beach was nice and always could find a chair at any part of the beach you wanted to be. The food was very good and at any part of the day there was something to eat or snack on. ALL the bartenders were very friendly. Make sure you do not lose your towel by leaving in by pool or having someone take it while your in ocean. I was in ocean and when I returned my towel was gone, didnt think it was a big deal, went to get a new one and I had to pay $20.00 to get a replacement towel. I think that was alittle overboard since my towel im sure ended up in their laundry at somepoint. I couldnt of asked for a better Christmas vacation and we were very sad to leave. I never saw any staff member just standing around the entire time we were there. Everybody was very attentive to our needs. The pictures dont show justice to the pools. I thought they were small in pictures but again never had problem finding a chair either in sun or shade and the two pools were very nicely sized. The rooms were very clean and our air worked super where we actually turned in down at times. BIG SUGGESTION which i am so grateful I did. Email the resort prior to arrival and request building 1. I did this a month prior and still was put in BLG. 2 which was fine but BLD. 3 or 4 would be a very big hassle considering they are pretty far from everything. I would reccommend Dolphin Cove if you want to swim with the dolphins. They were awesome and very clean. Very much a once in a lifetime experience. We also went downtown Negril shopping. Do not use your credit card because they charge a very high tax on credit card use, but not on cash purchases. We also went to Margaritaville Negril which there was a free shuttle to and from and had such a fun time!! This vacation was more then perfect!!!

Room Tip: request building 1
5 Thank Jennifer m