“Awful Dated Hotel, Dirty Beach - Rude Staff - Poor Management”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #28 of 81 Hotels in Negril
stockton
“Awful Dated Hotel, Dirty Beach - Rude Staff - Poor Management”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews on here, people praising this place. We couldn't work out where on earth these other people had stayed. They can't have been at the same hotel as me, my friends and family.

The Club Riu Negril is a very disappointing hotel considering it is listed and was sold to us as a 5 star PLATIMUM hotel.

In reality we (a group of 8) found it to be seriously delapidated, old fashioned, and badly run.

None of our party would stay here again.

This hotle needs a serious refurb and a new staff/ managers to bring it up to 5 star standard.

Rooms

Every one in the group had to change rooms. We (my wife and young child) changed rooms 3 times before we were able to settle. Our final room was not great but we were tired from travelling and needed to rest.

It seems from other people's comments and our own experiences that most of the rooms in the Riu Negril smell of damp.

Each room we saw and those of our friends and family had mould growing up the silicone and black on the walls of the bathroom - NOT FIVE STAR STANDARD.

Old fashioned colour scheme,looks worn and past it,broken mosquito guards,T.V not working,
Fridge not fully stocked, lots of ants and cockroaches in the rooms.

Staff are miserable, rude and often bad mannered. They don't action requests immediately. it took 3 or 4 days to sort most problems-NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

We had to have words with several male staff for using inappropriate language and sexual behaviour towards my wife and other females in our group.

Reception Staff

Seldom carried out tasks they said they would. Disappointing.

House keeping

What house keeping??? Our room was not cleaned for almost the entire 14 day period!!!

Water never hot, had to have cold showers every day
No clean towels
No clean bedding
No toilet Roll
Fridge never restocked etc etc.

Bar staff - OK no complaints.

Plenty of choice.

Breakfast - Great, best meal of the day

They made an effort with the presentation but sadly things didn't taste as good as they looked. Very bland.

Desserts - look nice, tasted of nothing.

Waiting on Staff in buffett

Not engaging with the public enough. Very disappointing. It'd have been nice if someone smiled. They nevr seemed like they wanted to help or like they wanted to be there,

The 3 restaurants that you can book in advance

Steak House - Food was cold/ service was hurried. Staff weren't chatty and didn't make us feel welcome. - Disappointing.

Luigi's - Staff were very quiet. Meat was cooked well. Overall very disappointing. Service was miserable and the meal was nothing special.

Sir Andrews - Best food of all three but the staff need to engage more with the customers. This is the one to book out of all three.

Entertainment

Mediocre - It's repeated on a rota so gets a bit repetative and boring. Band are great.
The animation team are a group of nice young men and women. Particuarly Spotlight, Tiger and Kenneil These 3 people are very sweet and talented. They are wasted at this crap hotel.

Scuba Caribe - Disappointing. We booked lessons with one guy who was a complete fraudster. He was willing to sign documents to say we'd done things we hadn't! And this same member of their staff was unbelievably aggressivley rude to some guests. We were not at all impressed with that. Another Scuba Caribe staff member was drunk most of the day and attempting to organise water sport trips (highly unprofessional).

Beach

- Not clean and not very secure. We got sick of being hassled day in day out by vendours who are allowed to freely rome the hotel beach day and night. A male prostitue lives in the bushes by the beach. He stands in the bushes naked and lures custom in. He gave my wife and I a fright one night as we were walking back to the hotel. I guess he's harmless but he shouldn't be allowed to be there.

Taxi firm in Hotel -

Very expensive. A few unpleasant ,very forward employees. use the taxis out the front with RED plates. Much cheaper and safer.

Tipping

I don't mind tipping. I do mind being hassled for tips. Its rude.
The staff in the hotel, managers too, expect tips and in fact sometimes its the ONLY way to get ANYTHING done. Staff will ask for tips if you don't offer. If you don't tip some will ask and ask and hover about you and wait and then make you feel very uncomfortable until you do tip them. Not good.

We had a general sense of feeling very uncomfortable and at times unsafe in this hotel. My wife and young daughter certainly didn't like being alone where the male staff were.

Pools - Need a dose of health and safety in this area. Broken tiles in both pools and the bar pool is very dirty.

All in all this was a very disappointing stay. We would recommend you upgrade and stay at a more modern or updated hotel with better facilities and more professional staff who have some sort of customer care experience.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank farrado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,388)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

My bestfriend and I spent five fun packed nights at the club riu. We are two African American females in our early 20's. we stayed May 10th thru the 15th. The ride from the airport was a 1and a half enjoyable scenic drive. We stopped for cold red stripes on the way.
When we got to the resort we were checked in fairly quickly,given our bands, and told to go to lunch since we were there 2 hrs early. No problem mon!!!! The only complaint I have was WE had to haul our luggage all the way to the fourth block after about three calls to the front desk asking them to bring up our luggage. We just got tired of waiting and did it our self. The fourth block is BRUTAL.. Especially if your tipsy. That walk seems forever going. The food was great!!! Drinks endless!!! All of our servers and bartenders were extremely nice!!! This hotel is not on the beautiful seven mile beach..but it is walkable. There's a lot of vendors to the left of the resort..past the caribe diving shop. We went jet skiing every morning!!! Haggle with the locals we got 30 min rides for 15 a piece!!! We ventured out of the resort and wen to margaritaville!! What a blast!! Scrub a dub (lots of locals) and the jungle!!! We used the taxi service out front of the hotel!!! We had soo much fun in Jamaica were headed back in Novemeber!!! : ) remember your on vacation let loose and have fun!!!!

• Stayed May 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

WOW...
After reading some of the previous reviews I tried to transfer my holiday & if I wouldnt of lost so much money I would of gone to Cyprus instead, BUT how glad am I that I didn't !!!

The hotel was lovely, there was NOTHING that I could find fault with.... We arrived and were given a glass of fruit punch which after sitting on the coach for just over an hour was very refreshing. Check in with Simone was very quick and our cases arrived at our room very quickly. We were in room 1109 which is in the first block.... The room was plenty big enough for the 2 of us, kept clean and the towels & bedding changed very frequently.... In the 2 weeks we were there we only had 1 visitor which was a little lizard... You are in the Caribbean - what do you expect !!

The service in the restaurants was very good & there was always something to eat for everyone... I am quite fussy with food & I managed to gain 8lb in weight in 2 weeks !! We used to be served by Otis who was very nice, helpful & was always welcoming, nothing was to much trouble for him...

We visited Shadows steak house twice, both at the 7pm sitting - our food was lovely, but a little rushed... This is because they have another sitting at 9pm... People we spoke to went at 9pm & said there food was a little cold... The steak is cooked fresh and to your liking tho.l.

We also visited Luigi's once, this is the Brazilian restaurant at the hotel, this food was also very nice.. We went there for the first sitting at 7pm also, I didn't hear anything about the 9pm sitting.

The chicken hut on the beach at lunchtime was very nice - beware the Jerk sauce is VERY hot & spicy.. My husband thought it was very nice... The "baby" barbeque sauce is very nice also..

The entertainment team are very good, lots of pool games around Shadows pool and also games on the beach.. They work very hard but they know when to leave you alone if you dont want to take part & just read you book...

The beach is also very nice, we wandered up to Riu Palace which is about a 10-15 min walk up the beach - the sand gets nicer the further you walk. The only thing about the beach is the locals trying to sell you things, towels, t-shirts, wood things & drugs (Jamaican cigarettes!!), but if you just say "no thank you" they leave you alone.

We went on a couple of trips,

the sunset cruise which goes to Rick's cafe... That is all inclusive bar, bit of snorkelling, bit of pizza & music... Unfortunately it rained whilst we were in the ocean so the sunset wasn't great...

River tubing - was very relaxing and an enjoyable day - be sure to take mozzie spray with you !!

Black River & YS falls - this is the best trip I have ever been on... You get to go on a boat up the black river & see lots of crocs then back on the bus to the YS falls where we had lunch which was $12 and to be honest not worth it (you could take fruit from your hotel), then up to the falls... WOW it was beautiful... You can go walking through the falls and the guides uses your camera to take pics of you.. We jumped off one of the higher falls and the did the Tarzan swing...lts very adventurous and I was shaking from head to toe after but I am so glad I did it... There was no fee for the guide to take you, they don't ask for tips but we gave him a couple of $ which he appreciated.. There is also a natural water cold pool and a natural water warm pool, some people just went in those.. It is al very beautiful...l it would be such a lovely setting for wedding pics...

The only downside would be the mozzies & sand flies.... I ended up buying Go insect repellant from the hotel shop for $15 but didn't get bitten after that & the weather in the last 2 weeks wasn't great, it would be sunny until about 1-2pm and then thunder storms... But it was still warm.. Typical Caribbean storms (but they didn't stop some days!!)

I would definately return to both Jamaica & the Riu Negril

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Spotlight-ahaaha
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I just returned from a stay Riu Negril (9/20-9/23) with a large group (including a 19 month old) for a non-vacation related trip (family funeral) and it was a nice hotel.

Pros: Nice rooms. Beautiful beach and well kept hotel grounds. Lots of beach chairs and sun bathing locations. Two pools, one with a swim up bar. Good entertainment at night. Excellent front desk staff.

Slight Cons: The options are limited if you are looking for Jamaican dishes on a daily basis, but that's the case at many Riu's on the island. Overall, the food was generally okay, but on Jamaica night it was great. The pool was a bit cloudy, but that's from being treated, so I'm sure that's not always the case. My hubby said the drinks were a bit weak, but that can be easily fixed too. The bathroom was not 100% clean as we met a stray hair in there that lasted through two cleanings before we had to remove it ourselves (gross).

Overall I give this hotel 4 stars because most of the "cons" could have been rectified if I had the time while there to complain. Highly recommended for a relaxing vacation. It helped my family to relax during a stressful time, so I know we would have enjoyed it during a regular vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arrived 3rd September for 14 nights. On arrival we handed our cases over and they were with us in our room (block 1) within 10 minutes. Unpacked and had an awesome stay.

ROOM: 1 Double and 1 Single altough only 2 people staying, air con worked fine fridge stocked every other day (if need more can call through to reception and they will fill 'No Problem'. TV worked fine - not that we go half way across the globe to watch TV. Cleaned every day and new towels provided everyday, we placed old ones in the bath just to make sure.

HOTEL: We have stayed in the Riu in Varadaro and its very similar. 2 pools, yes one was murky but I can only assume that was down to all the beer being spilled in but not to the point where you wouldn't get in - not even close. The other was the 'quiet' pool where more of the families hung about. Beds were available at both pools and all along the beach, we never had an issue getting one.
The food was good, after ready the reviews I was DREADING going for food. Buffet was amazing, always something for me and I'm a fussy eater, normally stuck to the Jerk Chicken etc (when in Rome/Jamaica), desserts got a bit repetative but thats the least of our worries. We booked into the Steak House, was told to wear long pants and collar, other people didnt - annoyed as I was boiling hot! This was the only let down I can think of, waiters not interest, very rushed but the food was good. We were booked into the other restaurants the following nights but cancelled due to our experience here.

STAFF: (apart form the steakhouse staff) All staff were BRILLIANT, bar staff couldnt fill your glass fast enough (and yes a tip goes a long way), Paul the singer in the Welcome bar is awesome - check youtube, Charles on the stage bar does some crazy 'service' tricks.
The entertainment staff NEVER STOP. They work long hours and are always in a good mood, that would never happen in the UK. Kenniel, Shadrick and Juvane where the oones we spoke to most and they were great. (Unfortunately Shadrick supports Man Utd but you cant have everything).

A smile and basic manners (please & thanks you) go a loooooooooooooooong way. Some people were talking to the staff like dirt and come on here and slate the place saying the staff have attitiudes, maybe they need to look in the mirror fist.

TIPS:
If you suffer from mozzy/flie bites so straight to the git shop and get a can of 'OFF!'. its the ONLY thing that stops the sand flies from biting. I took jungle spray but didnt work, take antihistamines for the itching as you will get one or two. DONT take our towels to the room at night, check them in and get your card as this is how the little blighters get to your room.

Go to Ricks Cafe, see the dudes jumping off of the highest point, yeah they would like a tip to do it but they dont hastle you like they say on here but the food is pricy.

Free Wifi in the Lobby, 90 minutes per 24 hours.

MOST OF ALL, relax and have a good time, we came across far to many people stressing and complaining about the stupidist of things, your never going to go hungry or thirsty and your in Jamaica, no problem..............................

Room Tip: Block 1, the higher the block number the longer the walk
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RandM_Travel123
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Hello once again, just a few notes that I wanted to add to my last review.
I had mentioned that Paul the Bartender was no longer singing at the hotel, only for the
fact that during my stay I was told he could no longer sing there but I guess I was wrong.
I have to say that I have seen a few reviews that he was singing there once again. Very
happy to see that he sure has been blessed with the talent.
Would I go back to this property? In a heart beat. But not this winter heading to the Dominican.
Well good bye once again will be back soon.....
And if anyone should be planning a visit back to Jamacia please say hello for me.
Safe jouney to all...
Pamela (CanJam)

Room Tip: Great location of room, nice was close to all conveniences. Nice and quiet...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank pauffret
NYC
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel is perfect for the no nonsense traveler. Food/service/ammenities were very good. I had no major issues with this property. Hotel was perfect for the price. Perfect all inclusive for budget minded travelers. Spa treatment was fantastic!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Sandy Haven Resort
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!