After reading some of the other reviews on here, people praising this place. We couldn't work out where on earth these other people had stayed. They can't have been at the same hotel as me, my friends and family.
The Club Riu Negril is a very disappointing hotel considering it is listed and was sold to us as a 5 star PLATIMUM hotel.
In reality we (a group of 8) found it to be seriously delapidated, old fashioned, and badly run.
None of our party would stay here again.
This hotle needs a serious refurb and a new staff/ managers to bring it up to 5 star standard.
Every one in the group had to change rooms. We (my wife and young child) changed rooms 3 times before we were able to settle. Our final room was not great but we were tired from travelling and needed to rest.
It seems from other people's comments and our own experiences that most of the rooms in the Riu Negril smell of damp.
Each room we saw and those of our friends and family had mould growing up the silicone and black on the walls of the bathroom - NOT FIVE STAR STANDARD.
Old fashioned colour scheme,looks worn and past it,broken mosquito guards,T.V not working,
Fridge not fully stocked, lots of ants and cockroaches in the rooms.
Staff are miserable, rude and often bad mannered. They don't action requests immediately. it took 3 or 4 days to sort most problems-NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!
We had to have words with several male staff for using inappropriate language and sexual behaviour towards my wife and other females in our group.
Seldom carried out tasks they said they would. Disappointing.
What house keeping??? Our room was not cleaned for almost the entire 14 day period!!!
Water never hot, had to have cold showers every day
No clean towels
No clean bedding
No toilet Roll
Fridge never restocked etc etc.
Bar staff - OK no complaints.
Plenty of choice.
Breakfast - Great, best meal of the day
They made an effort with the presentation but sadly things didn't taste as good as they looked. Very bland.
Desserts - look nice, tasted of nothing.
Waiting on Staff in buffett
Not engaging with the public enough. Very disappointing. It'd have been nice if someone smiled. They nevr seemed like they wanted to help or like they wanted to be there,
The 3 restaurants that you can book in advance
Steak House - Food was cold/ service was hurried. Staff weren't chatty and didn't make us feel welcome. - Disappointing.
Luigi's - Staff were very quiet. Meat was cooked well. Overall very disappointing. Service was miserable and the meal was nothing special.
Sir Andrews - Best food of all three but the staff need to engage more with the customers. This is the one to book out of all three.
Mediocre - It's repeated on a rota so gets a bit repetative and boring. Band are great.
The animation team are a group of nice young men and women. Particuarly Spotlight, Tiger and Kenneil These 3 people are very sweet and talented. They are wasted at this crap hotel.
Scuba Caribe - Disappointing. We booked lessons with one guy who was a complete fraudster. He was willing to sign documents to say we'd done things we hadn't! And this same member of their staff was unbelievably aggressivley rude to some guests. We were not at all impressed with that. Another Scuba Caribe staff member was drunk most of the day and attempting to organise water sport trips (highly unprofessional).
- Not clean and not very secure. We got sick of being hassled day in day out by vendours who are allowed to freely rome the hotel beach day and night. A male prostitue lives in the bushes by the beach. He stands in the bushes naked and lures custom in. He gave my wife and I a fright one night as we were walking back to the hotel. I guess he's harmless but he shouldn't be allowed to be there.
Taxi firm in Hotel -
Very expensive. A few unpleasant ,very forward employees. use the taxis out the front with RED plates. Much cheaper and safer.
I don't mind tipping. I do mind being hassled for tips. Its rude.
The staff in the hotel, managers too, expect tips and in fact sometimes its the ONLY way to get ANYTHING done. Staff will ask for tips if you don't offer. If you don't tip some will ask and ask and hover about you and wait and then make you feel very uncomfortable until you do tip them. Not good.
We had a general sense of feeling very uncomfortable and at times unsafe in this hotel. My wife and young daughter certainly didn't like being alone where the male staff were.
Pools - Need a dose of health and safety in this area. Broken tiles in both pools and the bar pool is very dirty.
All in all this was a very disappointing stay. We would recommend you upgrade and stay at a more modern or updated hotel with better facilities and more professional staff who have some sort of customer care experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Newly renovated in November 2015 * Located on Jamaica's west coast in Negril * Located on the beach front * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Main building and four 2-story annexes * Surrounded by 45,000 m2 / 56,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * 9 km / 5.5 Miles from Negril's West End * 7 km / 4.4 Miles from various shops * 80 km / 48 miles from Montego Bay airport * Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Negril reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Hotel Negril
- Rio Negril
- Riu Negril Jamaica
- Riu Resort All Inclusive Negril