“Amazing Resort!!”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary in July and we will definitely return! The food was amazing and the staff was great too. We've stayed at several different all inclusive resorts in Jamaica and this by far was one of the best! Christobal at the front desk was very accommodating and sincere. We LOVE this Riu!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank DJWalker27

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on the 27th of July to finish the last 4 days of our stay in Negril. I am going to get to the main terrible experience with this resort to many others to write. On Friday night after returning to our room around 11:00 pm I woke to a very hot room due to sliding glass door being wide open (which was locked prior to going to bed). I then noticed my purse was missing from the dresser which had some cash, camera with an extra filled chip from previous days, iphone. My son awoke and his phone was also taken from the dresser. After searching every where in the room we called front desk - security came about 30 min later, police showed several hours later. We were robbed while sleeping in our room along with two other rooms! We were told by the police this was an inside job and someone came in through the door with a key. The managment was so very rude and could care less - told me to contact customer service through an email that he had no phone number to provide us. Was offered to leave the hotel minus the one night stay, seriously? ??? Tips if you stay at this hotel which I highly highly recommend against...make sure you get 2 keys upon check in..put your belongings in safe even while you are sleeping in room...block door while in room with extra bed, chairs etc. I don't even know if this would help for we could not figure out why out of 3 rooms no one awoke during this robbery. Our driver who took us back to the airport told us its a chemical they spray in your room so you do not awake. Upon returning home I checked trip advisory and found the Riu in Montegoy bay was hit hard last month with thiefts, I do believe they are now hitting the Riu club so be safe if you should stay in the hell hole. I would hate for anybody else to experience what we did and hopefully the poor managment will stop this from happening to their hotels....not once did we get an apology it didn't even phase them that we were robbed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
28  Thank tallen39
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just got back from this awful resort after staying a week. We were lucky I guess looking at some of the other reviews. We at least did not have roaches or crabs in our room. We could not get our room cool enough and we asked them to check it out and they said they did and that it was working properly. Between the air conditioning not cooling off the room and the beds-two double beds pushed together with one headboard it was hard to sleep for the four of us. We were on top of each other.
When I went up to the front desk to request the fan be fixed since it was so noisy we couldn't sleep I overheard a couple who were dealing with bed bugs and had welts all over them and another two people complaining about having their room broken into while they slept and got their bras and panties stolen!
As far as the food sanitation-the flies and bugs were so plentiful that they were flying around the food buffet and the plates-dead flies on some of the plates. It was gross along with the sand fleas/knats on the beach and around the facility.
The rating for a family-not much to do especially if you have kids. Not active kids club. The pool is just average, nothing special.
The workout facility is kept so warm,it is difficult to use the facilities if you are sweating before you start! The spa facilities were a joke! They consisted of one room, with no air conditioning and no one in the spa room to book anything if you wanted to.
Most of the employees were very nice and pleasant, but we would never stay in this facility ever again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank stampinot
Reviewed August 2, 2012

While stating at this property, were taken care of well. It's an all inclusive resort, but tipping is appreciated by the staff. Upon check in Chris was our host and made us feel at home. There is plenty of entertainment happening throughout the property. While there, in the dining area, Cassandra was an every helpful hostess. She really mad us feel at home, relaxed, and answered many of our questions. Kerry (housekeeping), another member of the staff who ensured that when we returned to our room in the evening all we had to do was unwind and relax.
Last, I decided to get my Open water dive certification, Myron (instructor) was great, patient, and reassuring in teaching me the skills that I needed to pass the course and be a safe diver. There are many, many other member of the ScubaCribe Staff who made my stay enjoyable while going through diver training. Check them out!

Room Tip: Beach view
2  Thank Batamax14
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We check in at around 4:45pm. After changing 3 rooms, due to red crabs invested in the walkways and guest rooms, having an extremely far location from front desk (wife had injury to foot and requested closer location), no linens in the room - received them 2 hours later; we finally shower and notice in the bathroom 2 disgusting live red crabs, a roach crawling on the wall near the television, so we turn the light and there was one live crawling roach after the other. 2 near the wet bar, 3 on the floor, 2 near the front door, 1 in the bathroom (see photos attached). Absolutely horrified about what we are seeing. We begin to shake our clothing out of our bags/ drawers and repack our suitcases. We call the Front desk (11:00pm) and we were told there was no manager on site to speak with us and the best they could do was to move us to yet a 4th room. 2 hours later they tell us my wife has to climb stairs with her injured foot, stay in the 4th room until the manage arrives at 8am. By this time it is 1:30 am. We sleep in our clothing, call the front desk at 830 am and was told the General manager was not in. The next day at 8:15 am, we called the front desk to speak with Maximo Garcia (GM)and was told he was not in yet. We leave a message for Mr. Garcia. At 9:00 am we called the front desk again and was told Mr. Garcia was still not in so we left him another message. We were extremely disappointed that given our circumstance and horrible experience, not one manager called us to apologize or accommodate us at this point. With no return call by 10:00 am we decided to stop down at the front desk for assistance. Upon leaving the room, we saw a gentleman walking past the tennis courts so we called out to ask him a question. He told us he was Alberto the Host Manager. We asked if we could speak with him and if he was aware of our complaint from the previous evening. He informed us that he was not made aware and Mr. Maximo Garcia was still not available. When we explained in detail our experience, showing him the photos as well as the video of crawling roaches, he offered to move us to another room. We were absolutely appalled. We demanded they move us off of this disgusting resort. We waited for 3 hours before they finally moved to the Riu Palace (Still no Palace). We wasted 2 days of our vacation tracking down the Manager, calling the front desk, moving rooms and waiting for service. To top it off, we submitted our complaint to the corporate office as wells the General Manager Maximo Garcia and 10 days later we have yet to receive a response. We will never stay at this disgusting, dirty location again. This is a company that focuses on service and hospitality - I don't think so.

9  Thank S R
Reviewed August 1, 2012

where do i begin? When you first arrive at the Riu Negril you are supprised to see everything is in the open air. Love that carribbean breeze. After checking in we went to our room to put on our swimsuites so we can hit the beach immeditally. We were able to get some "stuff" from a local along the beach. Dont be afraid to walk the beach of bloody bay. Thats where the good "stuff" is. Dont seen too excited when you see some "good stuff" as the locals price it depending on how you react to seeing and smelling it. Tell them you only have so much money and they will hook you up. We met a local named Trevor that works along the left side of the beach off the resort doing snorkeling tours. Halla at him.

The beach and pools were awsome!! they also have a little hut that serves jerk chicken right on the beach, we loved it! The buffets were much better the the ones at the riu palace las americans in cancun. My wife loved the lazagana and pizza they served at the lunch buffet and at luigi's. Breakfast buffets were good as well. you better get down their by 10am to get your breakfast. We enjoyed omlites made to order.

As soon as you arive at the riu you need to make dinner reservations. Take advantage of this for it is free and really good. The dinner service will take a good hour but is well worth it. After dinner we enjoyed the entertainment at he resort. Everyday is something different but we were entertained every night.

You have to try the rum punch because you are in Jamaica man!! Rum punch on the beach and at the pool and a cold red stripe at night. what a great way to party!!

We are making plans to go back to the same place in 2 years but we will be bringing a few couples with us and show them around!!!!

All in all the Riu Negril was awsome and i will defentily be back severial more times and i hope to retire here someday!

Room Tip: dont waste your money on a good room cause you will be on the beach and at the pool all day. the vie...
3  Thank bign361
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Before I left for my vacation in Jamaica, I read millions of reviews about this hotel. While reading, I was surprised to see people complaining about "fundamentals" like bad television, or bad WiFi. You are on vacation! I was also surprised to read people complain about solicitation or harassment. Remember : the only business that Negril has IS tourism. Of course vendors will try to sell you some stuff! This is how they survive, here! Simply answer a firm "No thank you" and they'll never bother you again!

Since I was unsure what to expect when I got there, I went on my trip with some negative expectations due to the feedback I read here. I was wrong. Be careful, when you read those feedbacks, some people are very precious and expect a 5 diamonds. This hotel was perfect. The hotel was clean, the room was perfect, the A/C always kept the room cool, the bathroom was great with two sinks and power in the shower. The balcony was awesome because you could cool-off and relax, after a long day at the beach, listening to the sound of birds at night.

Great Entertainment with various shows every night and even during the day around the pool. Bartenders are nice, the drinks are great and they don't cut it with water. Very good variety of drinks, and the Red Stripe is also a good beer. The service is great, the staff is warm and very funny and very outgoing, always asking how are you and always wishing you the best vacation there is.

DON'T FORGET TO TIP. Although this is an all-inclusive hotel, tipping the staff is highly recommended. A 1$ tip is very acceptable. You'd be surprised how you can make a difference in the life of those people by tipping them and they will give it back to you with great service. Don't be afraid to generously tip your waiter at the dinner room when you arrive on your vacation, she will give you a super service all week.

Food is great, the breakfast buffet has everything you could expect of a breakfast. The dinner buffet is ok, lacks a little bit of variety. Some nights have thematics, like mexican night, but lacks variety. Fish is great, grilled tuna, salmon, calamaris, seafood is great. I would not say the same about beef, which is too cooked for my taste. As for the hotel restaurants, you absolutely need to make reservations for the restaurant of your choice when you arrive on your vacation, because they are often full. They have 3 restaurants : Sir Andrews (men : bring long pants, otherwise you won't be accepted in this one), Steak House and Luigi's. Don't expect italian food at the Luigi's, it is not italian food. They serve marinated meat, nothing else.

Beach is marvelous. You can see fishes swimming around you, littles rays and sometimes bigger ones, not dangerous at all. But the thing I loved the most : you get to see starfishes!!! There are starfishes everywhere in the water of the hotel beach, if you look carefully. This was awesome. Great life in the water, beautiful places to get your children into snorkeling while you hang out on the beach.

Pools are clean and there are lots of activities (zipline, VTT, river tubing, dune buggy, Mystic Mountain, Dunn's River) that the hotel suggests, but since the hotel is in Negril and that most of the activities are far from Negril (Negril is at least 1 hour and half from Montego Bay) prepare to pay a lot for activities.

We were there from July 15th to 22nd. There was heavy rain everyday for 1-2 hours. It did not bother us because there was always something to do; eat, relax, use the wifi at the lobby, drink a mojito, etc... BEST VACATION, I would go back again!

Room Tip: We had a room in the Block 2 of 4. We had a Garden view, and we could still see the beach when we we...
9  Thank NorthShore09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!