“Great family resort”

ClubHotel Riu Negril
Ranked #26 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed July 10, 2012

It was our first time in Jamacia and this resort was recommended by a friend. We had a wonderful time and our 27month old energetic boy had an great time in the beach, pool and the grounds of the hotel. Lots of room for his energy level and the staff and the other guest were so nice to little ones like him, I was really impressed by this, they were calling him by his name on the second day. The beach is perfect, thats what you get in Negril, clam and clear blue water. We were sitting in the water and fishes were swimming around us, another form of entertainment for an active boy. The food was good, great selection and tons of fresh fruits. The rooms were the only thing that we found needed some updating, but then again you are on a beach, so you should only be sleeping in the room. But for families with little ones who needs a mid day nap, some nice updates would be great. Overall it was a wonderful family vacation!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with little ones ask for building 1 or 2, even 2 is a good walk but your arms...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ally1125
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Negril

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our first time in Jamaica. Now having stayed at this hotel I am saying like "arnie" I WILL BE BACK!
Friendly staff. Superb rooms with fridge, mini bar and safe deposit box at no extra charge.
Four blocks with three levels. If you want to be near everything then book block one. Block four is the furthest from the main dining room. None of the accommodation is near the entertainment areas. No noise at night during our two week stay.
The food is of the highest standard in all four restaurants. Three of the restaurants are speciality types. During the day there is also catering and temporary bars when acts and singers perform on the beach or the poolside.
The hotel is right on the beach which is sandy and shallow. Very safe for swimming.
The hotel provides a taxi service. I would advise trying to haggle on prices. That usually works and is to your benefit as prices are high in Jamaica.
Plenty of bars as follows, beach bar, pool swim up bar, Plaza bar, a bar at the entertainment theatreand the reception barwhich closes at 2300 hours the others close at 24 hours. There is also a disco with a bar, from 2300 until 0200 six nights a week.
I enjoyed the bottled beer and tonic in the room but found that the draught beer provided at the bars was sadly lacking in quality as was the tonic from the press buttom machine. However on a plus side when the temporary bars are in situ they only have room tonic! A bonus! LOL
There is a children's club with small pool and play area.
The animations team works very hard at all times and provide a varied selection of games and entertainment.
Cleanliness is of the highest standard throughout the hotel.
Any problems that may arise are dealt with in a prompt and efficient fashion.
24 hour reception.
Word of warning when dining at night. Make sure you have mosquito repellant on from head to toe and you carry some with you to the open air restaurants. You have been warned! LOL.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Please remember that the blocks are U shaped, so depending on the room you are a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John H
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My sister was married here in June 2011 and a large group of us stayed here. It is all-inclusive with a great swim up bar and some interesting shows at night. The beach is okay - lots of seaweed in the water which grosses me out. Bring a big plastic cup so you don't need to keep finding a bar for refills! Staff was friendly and rooms were nice. We all had a great time!

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the lobby - less of a walk!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank iamavisitorhere
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I do not have much to add here but please beware that smoking is allowed in the rooms and you might be disappointed as we were that someone smoked cigars and this room was the only adjoining room available the first night. The hotel moved us the 2nd day but keep this in mind.

The bar was a disappointment as I expected the RIU to be much like the RIU Santa Fe in Los Cabos with better liquor. This was a real dissapointment as rum is not what I want to drink on vacation.

The pluses and there were many:

1) Try to make as many reservations at the Gourmet restaurant - the best of the bunch
2) Enjoy the beach and snorkel off of it - beautiful water - like glass
3) The employees were all professional and really nice people - they do want you to have a superb time
4) The landscaping was nicely done and the resort felt very upscale
5) The tours in the lobby are very overpriced. If you can connect with a driver he can probably save you 25-50%

Have fun but be aware of some of the shortcomings mentioned here and elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank srgilbert
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have been to the Riu at Negril in excess of 8 times in the last 15 years. I have stayed at the Riu chain in Playa de Carmen, and the Dominican Republic. The hotels are all self-contained. The size of the hotel is big enough to so that you don't get bored but small enough that you don't have to walk a mile to get places. The rooms have always been clean. There have been occasional mosquitos in the room (which I quickly kill). I have never seen cockroaches. I drink only occasionally and rarely have I ever had the alcohol from the bar in the room.

The food is quite good. I have not experienced flies all over the food. The cold food is served on cool stations. The hot food is continuously prepared. You can always get fresh made hot food during meal time. The problems in the dining room are the tourists. A dress code is present but it is not enforced. Perhaps if the tourists had better manners and the children were supervised the self service area would stay neater. The staff is constantly fixing up the areas to keep a good presentation.

The beach at both resorts are great. The ability to wade out and not get knocked down by the waves is fantastic. You can swim from one side of the roped off area to the other.

The only con I have is that the hotel rooms are 3 levels and there is no elevator. This has not been a problem for us but if a person has mobility challenges this could be a problem.

I will be returning in February 2013. Can't wait.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank charles e
Reviewed July 5, 2012

RESORT
We stayed here as part of a "5 Apple Square Deal" through Apple Vacations. I’ve stayed at about 6 or 7 different all-inclusive resorts in several different countries and I would say that this one is just average. There's nothing horrendous about it but there isn't anything overly grand about it either. It takes over an hour to get to the resort from the Montego Bay airport. Grass, trees, shrubs were all well kept. In high traffic areas, floors were mopped frequently. The front desk was helpful on the couple occasions we needed something. Every night different vendors come to the resort to sell their wares for a few hours. I bought a pink beaded bracelet from one of the women for $7. Later, after wearing it I realized that after you wash your hands and it gets a little damp/wet - it dyes your skin. After pitching it, it took several days for the dye to wear off so be aware of that. The waitstaff at all of the restaurants were fantastic! Nice, polite, efficient. Seemed to be happy people overall. We only had our room cleaned twice the whole week but the two times they cleaned they did a good job. We left them a few dollars each time and when we requested extra towels or soap it was "No Problem Mon". We were asked if we wanted to buy all kinds of drugs (not just marijuana) about 20+ times. Just say no. Firmly. And keep walking. They will leave you alone.

POOLS
There are two different pools. One is more of an activities pool where they do water aerobics...etc. And the other one is the pool bar. ALL chairs by both pools will fill up. People go down 1st thing in the early AM and put their towels on their chairs to informally reserve them for the entire day. We saw so many instances where towels would be left all day long and either no one would sit there at all, or they'd sit there for an hour and leave which is so rude - shouldn't be allowed. We spent a lot of time at the pool bar throughout the week and bartenders Lunick (Lou) and Jason were great! They work hard at a fast pace while having to deal with drunks all day so give them a tip. Not to mention it keeps you from sitting with an empty cup. We gave probably $20-$25 or so for the week in tips at the pool bar. Pool cleanliness? Well....it was pretty clean the first couple of days we were there. For the last 5 days? G.r.o.s.s. Dirty. Cloudy. Floating debris. Foamy film slick on top, gathered in corners of pool. Pretty sick when you're sitting on pool stools and see the grime about to flow onto you. They definitely need to keep the pool more clean and add some cooler water to it once in a while. Temperature was hotter than what I take my showers in. Additional chemicals wouldn't be a bad idea either with several people being too lazy to walk to the bathroom; using pool as their toilet.

RESTAURANTS
There was a wide array of items at the buffet restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But even so, after 7 days you start to get sick of the same dishes. We did notice that they really tried to switch up the offerings for dinner so that was good. Breakfast and lunches were repetitive. Pancakes and french toast were never warm even though they were under heat lamps. I felt snotty asking for it straight off the griddle but they didnt seem to mind. There were a few different specialty restaurants that you had to have RSVP's for but the RSVP process was such a joke! To make a RSVP, you had to go down to the lobby at 8am to get in line the day of. And you aren't allowed to reserve days ahead either. The jerk chicken shack on the beach really is as good as everyone says. Make sure you eat lunch there! It was open daily from noon until 2p or 3p. (White meat or dark) w/ rice if you want & spicy or mild jerk sauce poured over top. Honestly, I think I enjoyed that more than any other food item there. To switch it up, we took a short taxi ride to Margaritaville for dinner one night and wouldn't recommend it. Service was maybe the worst I've ever experienced and granted it was a Tuesday at 7p, it was a ghosttown in there. Only 1 table besides ourselves. Food was just ok. If you decide to go there, its right on the beach so pack a beach bag and just hang out on the beach for the day and maybe wander to Margaritaville for some drinks or to grab a meal. I imagine the place is way better during the day..

EXCURSIONS
We booked 2 excursions with our Apple Rep in the lobby. The 1st one was for Rick's Cafe and shopping which cost $20 per person. Shopping isn't a flea market type environment like I was expecting. These were actual stores w/every souvenir you could want in a nice strip mall. After about 90 mins there - you are dropped off at Ricks Cafe for a couple hours. Ricks is cool but very crowded and touristy but definitely something to see. Jamaicans cliff diving off of ledges and out of trees for tips - (guy runs around w/a bucket). Tourists can dive/jump as well. Lifeguard is present. Ricks offers a spectacular view of sunset. Catamarans and sailboats come and hang out in the water to watch cliff divers and to see sunset as well. Food / Drink prices were average. The 2nd excursion we did was ATV'ing which was $85 p/p w/ the choice of 2 seater buggy or 4 wheelers. We chose 4 wheelers. It was a good time. Take bug spray. Actual riding of the ATV was about 1 hour w/an addtl hour each way in taxi travel.

RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Go off the resort one night and visit "Catcha Falling Star" aka "Ivans Bar" for dinner and make sure your cameras fully charged! Its absolutely beautiful and you can dine cliffside while watching the sun go down. Make a reservation. Table 16 is the best seat. You won't be disappointed. Another vacationing couple (one of which was a chef himself) recommended "Ixtapa" to us for dinner but we didnt end up going. They said it was a hidden gem with fantastic food so maybe try that out too.
2. Take your own travel mug for beer/drinks. The cups they give you are really small and when its 90 degrees, they dont stay cold very long.
3. I know you are on vacation and some would say who cares what time it is, but its necessary (dinner rsvp's, etc.) ! * Note: There are NO clocks in the rooms. We asked the front desk if we could get one and they said no.
4. I wish I would have brought a blow up raft to float around in ocean on (and then just leave it there when I’m done). I saw a few people with them and was jealous.
5. Everyone in Jamaica is looking for a tip every time you turn around, so be sure to take LOTS of $1 bills.
5. Ripoff alert! Make sure you take enough sunscreen. A regular size bottle of SPF costs $24US in the gift shop.

Room Tip: Theres one walkway and buildings are lined up in this order: lobby --> bldg 1,2,3,4. Obviously bl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Heather O
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is just one persons opinion, however it is very truthful. We stayed from June 13-June19, The check-in was a breeze. After going to other hotels the check in rated a 10. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. They were cleaned and stocked everyday by the time we went back to our room.

The beach was wonderful. We stayed on the left side ot the beach bounderies. This is an important fact as we were near the watersports and where the vendors come through. The vendors were never a problem and I repeat never a problem. We are in our 50's, another important fact when reading this. We were never bothered. A simple no and was never bothered again. We walked in between both resorts at least twice a day and swam where there and never were bothered and the water was crystal clear. It was amazing.

THe workers were all very friendly and helpful. Ivette as the upstairs pool bar was the best. She helped us get a taxi from Basco to leave the resort for dinner and shopping. He was great he went in the shops even though i told him I was fine. He was there on time to pick us up after dinner. He made our vacation that much more enjoyable.

The only negative I will say is the food. Breakfast and the jerk bar were great. The dinners and the restaurants could have been alot better.

We did walk down to see the other Riu. We liked Club Riu better. I felt is was bigger and the pools were definately bigger. As far as the reviews on the pool bar in the water, come on you know they are in there and not leaving so just don't go in that pool. That is not the resorts fault that is the inconsiderate guests.

As far as tipping- All the workers treated us with smiles and great service. Yes I did tip why not when you get great service no matter where you live don't you tip. They work very hard and a little to let them know they are appreciated doesn't hurt. Don't you all like to be acknowledged when you do a great job?

I would go back in a heart beat- I just hope that Management sees that the only complaint we had was the food and take it to heart to make it better.

Room Tip: the first or second building is very close to everythng
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kbear4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Legends Beach Hotel
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to ClubHotel Riu Negril? Share your experiences!