“Great for R & R” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Negril
New Jersey
“Great for R & R”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We just returned from Negril -- our first visit there. For the price, the Grand Pineapple Negril is a good value. We booked through Cheap Caribbean. If you want to relax, not have to think about where to eat, and just enjoy the beach this is an excellent location. The food and drinks are plentiful, but as mentioned in other reviews -- the liquor is not "top shelf" -- but I don't care. The buffet meals offer plenty of variety. We are vegetarians and had no issues with the offerings. The staff is excellent. I will not name them -- too many to list and I don't want to slight anyone. The staff will extend you every courtesy. The location of the resort is great since it is right on the beach (wonderful beach for walking) and next door to Alfred's. The resort offers entertainment on the nights that Alfred's is not. Reggae, Calypso, or Mento are all to be heard there. Just kick back, grab a beach chair in the shade, add a rum drink "Make My Day" and enjoy yourself. It's not a 4 star resort, but small enough to really enjoy and not get lost in the shuffle.

Room Tip: The Beachside Cottages are more convenient although walking across the street to the "garden si...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 2-NJ-Zs
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We always want to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and satisfying stay with us and I'm glad you had such a great time visiting our resort. Our beach is one of a kind in Negril and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much.We strive to offer the best in service with a friendly, relaxing environment and it’s great that this was the case during your stay. We hope to see you again.
Have a nice day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights before heading over to Beaches Negril for the remainder of our vacation. Chose this place based upon glowing reviews and I wish I could agree with them but I honestly have very little positive to say. This place is definitely not meant for kids.

Food was not good, rooms (especially bathrooms) left a lot to be desired, and service was spotty at best (although some of staff were very nice).

Even trying to get a beach towel was an issue, and it shouldn't be for a small establishment like this. No one seemed to care to help with the towels either.

"Security" at the beach was a joke. There was a local man roaming the beach trying to kick what I assume were stray dogs while nothing was done to stop him. Actually felt unsafe at times, especially with my kids there wondering why someone who be trying to hurt these dogs.

Feel like website made this place appear much better than reality. Go to Beaches, especially if you have kids.

Stayed December 2013
8 Thank mijabrkr
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our charming resort. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We are committed to the safety and security of all our guests and always want to create a family-friendly environment for our guests. We have reviewed our procedures and reminded beach security staff of the importance of being vigilant at all times.

We are always looking for ways to improve our resort to exceed the expectations of our clients. Since we are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities, I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments.
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best 3 star beach resort we have been too. The staff super friendly all the time, the beach and the water was great. The food got a little old after a while, but the late night cheese and tuna sandwiches were worth it. Don't expect top Shelf or even middle shelf alcohol, their were plenty of nights they ran out of wine, but made sure they were restocked the next day. Whatever you do stay on the beach side, not the garden side. They kept the rooms clean, and Chantel was particularly careful to keep all my things in order. Also props to my main man Vinton in the bar, always great.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank David K
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
We really appreciate you posting about your fun time at Grand Pineapple Negril! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve.
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife Tina and I stayed at the Grand Pineapple 15th to 29th November 2013 and I can honestly say its the best holiday I have ever had! We travelled with Kuoni, whose service was first rate, providing us with a private transfer from the airport to the hotel in a modern air conditioned SUV. The Kuoni Rep on site - Carole, was an absolute star and totally helpful and friendly.
We arrived early evening to a welcoming cocktail from the duty Manager Kerry-Anne, bright, cheerful and friendly and so helpful.
The resort itself is in 2 parts - the garden side and the beach side, separated by the main road. Both sides are equally beautiful and if you are not bothered by a 2 minute walk to the bar, restaurant and beach, then you will be perfectly happy wherever. The accomodation is in the main composed of colourfully painted 'cottages' each of which has 4 lots of accomodation. These are really lovely and, set in the lush tropical gardens, look fantastic. they are clean and well appointed and each has its own balcony. Less popular are the manor rooms, which although just as clean and well appointed, dont have a balcony .
There is one bar and restaurant at the resort, but how many do you need? The food is plentiful, well cooked and delicious and there is always plenty of variety, with many themed nights throughout the week.
The beach is beautiful and literally two steps from the bar, clean white sand, which is maintained by the staff and there are plenty of sunbeds and complimentary beach towels each day too.
Negril is, no doubt, a beautiful resort but for me what makes the Grand Pineapple stand out is the people, I cannot stress too much how fantastic the staff are, always cheerful, helpful and friendly, they literally cant do enough for you and they genuinely appear to want to make your holiday the best it can be. So.... to Kerry-Anne, Carole, Rohan, Omar, Christopher, Wainsworthy, Sherita, David, Bethune, Angela, Tanya and last , but not least the marvellous Marvette - thankyou all for a fantastic holiday and we will meet again. There are many more staff I dont know by name , but thanks to you all as well, you all shine ! Eddie and Tina.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank EddieM00re
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your excellent review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so happy to hear that you had the best holiday ever at the resort and that our staff was able to make your holiday so enjoyable. They always do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better. We hope to see you both again.
Amityville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great value, clean, very friendly, well kept grounds and rooms, helpful staff - looking forward to a return visit! Especially loved the continued feeling of rest, sun and beautiful sea. Also, other visitors were very friendly as well as the staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ellen T
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. Be sure to visit us again. We look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I thought long and hard before writing this review because I really wanted to give a very fair review that took into account the service, value, as well as the accommodation itself.
So I stayed here from December 5th to December 9th. My friend was getting married at Sandals on the 7th, and GP was one of the resorts that was recommended by the travel agent who worked with the couple, since Sandals quickly sold out on the dates the guests of the wedding were looking to book. I have to admit that one of the reasons I booked at GP was the 65% off sales they had been having, besides the fact that the reviews on Tripadvisor were great. I booked a room with two double beds in September on the GP website, and received confirmation on the room type that I selected.
The trip started out great. Sandals has a van service counter at the MBJ airport with multiple staff working to ensure guests who were going to all three of its resorts would not get missed for transportation, which was a nice touch. Arriving at GP, the front desk staff was very courteous, offered me a ginger pineapple juice and a cool towel while checking me in fairly efficiently. Just when I was able to turn on my vacation chill mode, I arrived at the room; it was a room with only one Queen size bed.
Still thinking that this was an easy issue to resolve, I returned to the front desk and explained to them that I requested a room with double beds because there would be a second guest in the room, who would have arrived on the same date had she not missed her connection flight due to weather condition. I was then told that there was no more double room available that day. Ok, some may say that this is a common problem encountered at hotels, but I can never wrap my head around this problem since the hotel should have an idea of how many beds are in each of their rooms, and they should stop accepting reservation for that room type when they reached that number. Simple enough right? In any event, I then spoke to a supervisor, Ms. Sigourney Smith, and this was the worst part of my experience at GP. She was not able to offer any reasonable alternative or compensation regarding this error that occurred on their side, other than having me moved the next day to a double room when my guest arrived, and dismissed the fact that it was a great inconvenience for me to unpack all my toiletry items and cloth (and as a woman, she should know how involved that can be), suggested that it was more comfortable for me to be in a room with a single bed on the first night, and maybe I could just NOT unpack on this first night of my vacation (and as a woman she should also know how impossible and uncomfortable this would be), and ultimately told me there was nothing she could do for me except for a $25 resort credit towards my guest's next visit which equals to nothing this time for our inconvenience. Perhaps she was not in the position to make any other decisions, but she could have discussed with the GM Mr. Alexander Pike, who I later found out was exceptional in trying to provide the most comfortable and memorable vacation experience for the guests, and who was the one who completely turn my experience around at GP, and to whom this 4 star rating is owed.
After this first hiccup, we did have a room with double beds the next day, however, the plumbing was questionable and we were not confident if the toilette was going to flush all the way every time we flushed. Ms. Pike offered to switch us to another room on the third day after hearing our issues with the plumbing as well as complaint that our (cottage) room was much smaller than the room in the Manor building, but I did not want to pack and unpack yet again so we declined the offer.
Overall, the take home message for this resort is as followed:
1. This resort definitely rates high on the value factor at 65% off price. You cannot beat the value with all inclusive food and drink. I would not pay full price for it though, after having stayed here, but mostly due to the update that is needed for the facility itself and the size of the resort.
2. All the staff were extremely helpful and courteous, and Mr. Pike was definitely fantastic. Although Ms. Sigourney Smith was always courteous as well, I thought she was not as committed to providing the best guest experience.
3. The food was good, however, there is only one dining area, while some of the bigger resorts have multiple. There is live music on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday nights on the beach and ends fairly early, but you can always go to Alfred's next door for night time entertainment.
4. The beds in the rooms were very comfortable, however, the rooms could use some updating. Plumbing issue was not unique to our room during our stay. It had been a long time since I last used an actual key instead of a key card and saw a room air conditioner in a hotel room, prior to coming to GP. There also needed an outlet in the bathroom so that guests could plug up the hair dryer.
I would definitely recommend this resort to someone who is looking for a place that offers decent food, comfortable and clean accommodation, and a great clean and relaxing beach. I would however say that this is not a place for someone who loves lot of options in terms of food and entertainment and lots of things to do at night time. Would I stay here again? While I had said no on my first night here, I would definitely say yes at this point after my interaction with GM Mr. Pike, and grew to appreciate this resort for what it offers. I would definitely stay here for a relaxation vacation, but would look elsewhere for a party vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms in the manor buildings are larger than the cottage ones. Beach towels run out very quickly...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Lan_in_NYC
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is truly disappointing to know that you had this experience at our resort. We always want to ensure that we meet the needs of each guest and your comments indicate that there is room for improvement. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We’re happy to hear that Mr. Pike was able to showcase the true hospitality for which we are known and that you enjoyed your stay at the resort. We hope to see you again in the future and give us a chance to show the excellent experience for which we are known. Thank you for review and have a nice day.
Avon Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Arrived for another visit to Grand Pineapple 11/22/13. I was disappointed that there was confusion regarding my booking agent and room preference so I was not able to have the room that I requested when booking many months ago. Cheap Caribbean listed my request incorrectly.
I cannot share with you details of the returning guests dinner as I was not advised of the dinner. They apparently take over the non smoking section of the dining room to celebrate and I do not know if they have a special meal or just all sit together and use buffet. There was no space for me to sit as a single traveler in the other dining area so I had to wait until the newer guests finished with their meals before I could get seating for my meal.Several days later a rep from the hotel entered my room to leave a T shirt and bottle of rum on my bed. Welcome returning guest!
I was so pleased to see Rohan back cooking, he is such a sweetie. I was impressed to see the positive changes in food services. Roast turkey, roast lamb, and roast pork were added to the dinner lineup. Made to order sandwiches were new to me there as well The desserts were upgraded as well, super! I suppose there is now better support between Sandals Negril and GP?Coverings for fruits and desserts were a welcome improvement since my last visit.
The night of the beach BBQ it rained and from what I was told, guests ate earlier than the scheduled dining time. As a result there were no BBQ ribs to be eaten for those of us who did arrive for dinner at the designated time. But you could never go hungry...maybe disappointed that they had run out of a food item but never starve certainly. It was surprising to have food run out especially when the hotel was boasting about full occupancy.
I did speak briefly to the newer GM, Alexander Pike, close to the end of my stay. He expressed his apologies for my exclusion from the returning visitors dinner. I did see that under the newer management that there were improvements. Hopefully my next visit will yield a perfect review.
As usual, the beach and water were fabulous. The stingray that the last several years has made traveling passes up and down the beach line appears to swim out deeper now. The last 2 years I have been sampling other resorts on beach.
It was nice to see returning employees ( from since the reopening) that I remembered from previous visits such as Marvette and Rohan, two wonderful smiling familiar faces. I recognized faces but not the others names.
After my first night I did meet several couples from Canada and a woman from Texas so I had company for meals and a compadre for a walk to Times Square. I enjoyed all their company!
I did notice that as usual, for some reason, that the majority of the guests were very friendly towards each other. This is something that I have not always encountered at other resorts and I do not know the reason for it. But GP is where I met my now dear friends from Canada about 5 years ago. We now plan our annual reunion in Negril based on our initial meting at GP.

Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful ...almost like being home. Mr. Pike dressed as Santa and made a special appearance in the dinning room, giving people the chance to get a photo with Santa in Jamaica.
Also it was a major improvement seeing the diminished volume of drug sales on this section of the beach. The usuals who hung out hoping for a quick sale were not seen. Excellent work NPD!
All in all, it was a great stay, seeing old friends, meeting new people, and enjoying the beauty.

Room Tip: My favorite room is #38 which is in the last building towards the beach on the upper level. You can...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank leprechaunshag
Thank you for your kind review. I'm so sorry that your trip did not start quite as we planned with all our gorgeous returning guests but fortunately, Mr. Pike and staff was able to make the rest of your stay so wonderful. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay and I'm so happy to know that you had a great time with old friends, meeting new people, and enjoying the beauty of Grand Pineapple Negril Beach. Once again thank you for review and we hope to see you again.