“Enjoyed our 30th Anniversary here”

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #23 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Monument, Colorado
“Enjoyed our 30th Anniversary here”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This review is a little late, as we stayed there in June. We celebrated our 30th anniversary at the Grand Pineapple Beach Negril.

First the plusses. We really enjoyed our stay there. We stayed in the beachside cottages. We had room # 42, and it was nice and clean with a King Size Bed. The decor itself is a little dated but we didn't spend too much time in the room anyway. The staff made us feel so welcome. While we were there the GP was participating in an intern program where people were being trained for the hotel and hospitality industry. At the end of the program the graduates were certified to be able to work in any Hotel in Jamaica. What a great program!
We had such a great time meeting other guests at the hotel and enjoying the beach in Negril.

The food is buffet style, and was very good each day we were there (7 nights), although I wish they had had lobster ( it was out of season). The spa services were great, we had a couples massage. The next to last night we were there we had a romantic candle lit dinner on the beach.
We had Island routes (onsite tour company) set us up with a southcoast tour that was a blast. Security was great!

The minuses. They really need screens on the windows to keep the mosquito's out. There has to be some way of putting up screens with the shutters. If you get tired of buffet style fare you have to go to another place. Restroom by the buffet area / beach was a bit dirty. Drinks served at the bar were weak. Ask for double shots! The on property jacuzzi did not work. Would have liked to use it after our day trip.

Room Tip: The beach cottages are closer to the food area and bar.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 68stang
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
We are so happy that you had a wonderful anniversary stay with us! It's an honor to share such a milestone. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. We hope to see you again.

Have a nice day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well of course the rooms aren't the same grade as the other Sandals resorts...this is their economy cousin! HOWEVER, the beach here is far far superior to that at Sandals, so if you want to have a reasonably priced Jamaican vacation on a beautiful beach which provides good security around the clock, this is a great find! The service staff was very friendly, though I do agree that some of the front desk staff wasn't as prepared to answer questions and assist guests as they ideally could be.

We had a great week there and I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: I didn't find the beach side too noisy, though you could hear some music in the distance. Defin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank bctinsc
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so happy that you had such a great vacation with us. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. We hope that you come back soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My experience at GPBN - From okay to Fabulous!

Check in:
My first impression -friendly staff but lack customer service skills.

Dining:
Food selection was good but could use some improvement. The staff was great specially Conrad (my fav waiter). They even got me my favorite fruit cake on the house!

Rooms:
My room was a bit small and i was surprised a fridge didnt come with the room but Mr. Pike was kind enough to provide one for free.

Housekeeping:
Need improvement - on the right track thou :).

Property
Well maintained.

Security:
The best on Negril, you feel safe around the clock~!

Beach:
Perfecto!

Beach staff:
Keyton -sports department - he is the best!

Wifi:
Again Mr. Pike offered complimentary wifi for a few days!

Overall:
Because Mr. Pike the hotel manager accommodated my requests i would go back to this hotel again. In the end, i had a great vacation with my little one! My only request is that they improve house keeping, check in and provide the same level of service to all their guests (i observed preferential treatment). Last but not least inform customers when they book that the garden view rooms are located across the street!

Thank you guys and see you in 3 months!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank apoloniae
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of Grand Pineapple Negril! I'm glad you and your little one had such a fabulous vacation with us. We appreciate your feedback , it's always very important to know what our guests think. See you in 3 months!

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We had a good time at Grand-pineapple. The resort is rather small, quite and the majority of the staff is friendly and helpful. We had issues with our rooms (no water)but thanks to the resort manager (Alexander) who resolved that after we complained directly to him and offered us a complementary upgrade. Great customer service. The beach is great, the food is good, the rooms are OK, housekeeping is good, nice entertainment ( couple of nights of live music), good activities on the beach (board, snorkel equipment and kayaks are free).
We took a boat trip to the sun set caffe where we jumped on the water from the cliffs, nice trip worth visiting!!
When you book garden view, note that it will be across the main road (the resort is split by the main road), which you have to cross with the help of the hotel staff every time you go between your room and the beach. No big deal!!
It is a bout 2 hrs drive from the airport, it depends on the transportation you take as large buses tend to stop at different resorts.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MagedHabashi
Thank you for your review! I'm happy to know that you had a good time at Grand Pineapple Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you and family again.

Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you like small, intimate and quaint, this is the place for you! The room wasn't luxurious, but I went to Negril to spend time at the beach and seeing the sights---not to hang out in my room. The room was clean and comfortable though, and we had no problems with anything with it during our stay. The beach was AWESOME, and it was so easy to lounge on it most of the day! The water was warm and crystal clear, and aside from a few aggressive locals, it was great! The dining and bar staff were excellent! I can't say enough about them! Kevin, Orane, Waynesworth, Elliot, Ricardo, Conrad, Robert, and the bar staff, Vinton, Marvette, and a couple others' whose names I don't readily recall, were FANTASTIC! I also thought that the security was excellent, and a special thanks to Chadwicke and Lloyd for their kindness, concern and attentiveness! All of the staff, from point A-Z were the best!

I found that other vacationers were also very nice, and because it's a small resort, it was easy to get to know more than a few of them. I enjoyed the buffet style food, which ranged from authentic jamaican fare to a variety of other cuisines that were well seasoned and tasty. The bar drinks were also very good, and even when I didn't know exactly what I wanted, the bar staff would make me something special and delicious!

I really enjoyed my vacation at the Grand Pineapple, and plan to make a return visit in the coming year! :-)

Room Tip: The garden side of the resort was more quiet than the beachside, but I personally prefer the beachsi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Traycee W
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril I'm glad that we were able to provide excellent service and excitement in your vacation with your friends. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager and staff. They all will be happy to see your review. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just returned from a 6 night stay at GP. I was traveling with a girlfriend and we had a ball. Most of the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Conrad is THE man. He always gave service with a big smile and went above and beyond 100% of the time. Kevin, Robert , Wainsworth, Elliott and Ricardo were also great in the restaurant. There is only one buffet style restaurant but the food was very good. Thanks Chef Orane for your special touch. Marvette and Vinton were great at the bar and also very accommodating. Also always smiling. Security was great...shout out to Chadwick and Lloyd. The crossing guards also did a great job at helping you safely cross the street. The rooms are small but clean and adequate. We stayed in a beach cottage and didn't even notice the music coming from Alfred's. I think the front desk staff could have been a bit friendlier. After all they set the tone because that is the first impression you get when you arrive. I found the staff in the watersports area to be quite unfriendly. Towels ran out quickly (not the water staff's fault) and were never replenished until the next day. My only other complaint was that the bar ran out of some basic spirits and mixers on a daily basis. I would like to suggest they put some stools around the bar for people to sit. It would definitely increase the tips to the bar staff. Overall it was a great trip and would consider going back to GP.

Room Tip: Beach side cottages are great. Would definitely recommend that side.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank pedinurse44
Thank you so much for your review. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Pineapple Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We appreciate your feedback. It's always very important to know what our guests think. We hope to see you again.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my first trip to Jamaica July 2013 and I really debated about which city to stay. Decided on Negril due to the fabulous beaches even though its 1hr 20 min away from the airport in Montego Bay. I prefer beaches vs rocky cliffs near Kingston. When we got there it's a 3.5 hour direct flight from Dallas. Customs in Jamaica took about an hour. Then another hour to wait for a car rental. I would NOT rent a car! Cheapest rental place is Thrifty, but they are very slow and no computers. I would hire a taxi or a bus because the steering wheel is on the right, and you drive on the left side of the road. The road to Negril is very narrow, only two lane with no markings. It goes through several towns and people passed onto oncoming traffic! Tons of pot holes that you can't avoid! Just skip the car! I read lots of reviews about the bugs and to bring bug spray, which I did because I am a bug magnet. However, I only used it the first night and was fine without it. The hotel lobby staff was very nice and made us sit down and served pineapple juice. We were showed to our rooms which was #35 beach side cottage. That is a must! Do not get the garden side rooms. Do not get the manor rooms! it's across a very busy street and the food or bar is not close at all. The rooms reminded me of a motel 6. Not the nicest. So if you want luxury, this may not be the place for you. However, the beds are firm and very comfortable. I never had a problem sleeping. The window AC worked fabulous and the rooms were clean. Ladies, bring your own shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. There was body gel only there. Plenty of towels though and a room safe. There is only one bar and one restaurant, but I liked that! Neither were ever too busy. If you hate the mega resorts, you will love this place! I think there are 35 rooms total! Service is great! My favorite bar tender was Vintsom! He always had a smile on his face no matter how many frozen fruit punch drinks I ordered. The food was all buffet style, but it didn't taste mass produced. The food was pretty good. We don't eat sea food, and I was always able to find something to eat that was good. Great desserts!! Breakfast was amazing! The only gliche was no food after 10pm. After 2-6 you could order cheeseburgers, hotdogs, and grilled cheese and fries. The fries were yummy like McDonald's! No room service, but our room was so close I would grab a plate and take it back to the room. Yes I gained weight!! Security was very good. I enjoyed the beach hustling. If you didn't want anything you just had to say no a few times. Don't let them "give" you anything because nothing is for free there. Don't let them put anything in your hands either. Check next door with the Rasta Phillip, he gives great tours on his boat for snorkeling. Check out Rick's Cafe at sunset with Phillip! They had really expensive jerk chicken sandwiches but really good! Great time! The hotel also gives unlimited towels. They had paddle boarding, kayaking, and hobie cat for free. We walked to town for some souvenirs. Good prices! We also walked to Margaritaville, which took about 20 min. Lots of hustle over there. I felt safe the entire time we were there. Oh, the beach side can be a little loud with Alfred's bar next door. Friday night I think they blared their music til at least 4am. But i was still able to sleep :) Getting to the airport and checking in only took 2 hours. You don't go through customs in Jamaica leaving. I would totally stay there again at the Pineapple! Great experience! You could literally see through the turquoise water and sugar consistency sand. Beautiful sunsets! Great value at the Pineapple!

Room Tip: beach side a must & cottages only!! close to the beach and the restaurant/bar!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Webuyuglyhouses
Thank you for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. It's very encouraging when guests post about how our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. We always want to meet the expectations of all our guests and I'm happy we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay. We hope to see you again.