“Another perfect visit at our home away from home.”

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Philadelphia
“Another perfect visit at our home away from home.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

In 2000 we found this little hidden gem and fell in love with it. People always ask us why don't we try other resorts or areas of Jamaica and the easy answer is that we know this fits us perfectly so why be disappointed going somewhere else?

This trip was March 23-29. We had room 35 on the beachside, upon setting down our bags we were thrilled to see the towel art and flowers placed upon the bed. We had a small issue with the air conditioner but after reporting it to the front desk Kerry Ann and Riccardo quickly had a new air conditioner installed. The rooms are simple and modest but always clean. The housekeepers were great, our bathroom and floors were spotless.

We were thrilled to be here again because Sandals at one point was going to sell the property and we thought we would never see this place again. Upon being checked in the resort manager came out of his office to great us. AlexanderPike is one of the best managers I have ever seen! He is hands on with the staff and out mingling with the guests at breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are very happy to see the resort in his very capable hands.

Through the years we have been here where the food was just good to just ok to very good. I think this year the food was very good. When I come to Jamaica I want to eat Jamaican food and there was always authentic options. i can never get enough of it! Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all good in my option and if you don't like it you can order from the grill and get a burger or grilled cheese and french fries.

We quickly noticed the familiar friendly staff members. Joseph in the dining room was the first we encountered and we gave him great big hugs! He has been one of the staff that we have known since 2000 and he was a sight for sore eyes. Joseph is always one of my favorites every trip. Jacqueline is another staff member that returned after the shut down and she is so sweet and such a pleasant lady. I really enjoyed talking to her everyday. We met Nicholas for the first time this trip and he was also such a pleasure during our week, he always had a smile. Marvette is another returning staff member that we love to death but were a bit disappointed that she did more behind the scenes work this time and was not out in the dining room interacting like years past.

Now onto the bartenders. Who does not love their bartender? Well the biggest news durning our stay was a VERY BELOVED bartender named Andrew came back home to GPN durning our stay. Trust me when I say the resort was not complete without him! We were thrilled to be there when he returned. Gharveri took such great care of me that I coined myself " the white wine lady" because I was at the bar every night asking for white wine which they tended to run out of nightly but he made sure I was happy :). One other bartender that impressed us was a new one named Vinton. This guy never stopped, he was the hardest working guy we have ever seen.

One other staff member that took very good care of us was the sports guy Sean. Sean was always asking how our day was and got us chairs and towel each day. You can always get your own towels in the sports shack as well.

And finally my report would not be complete without mentioning the one man that we met in 2000 that showed two strangest from Philadelphia PA what true friendship means. Courtney the carver is one of the most special people we have ever met and he is now like a brother to both my husband and myself. I am not sure we would have returned for our second if it was not for Courtney's friendship.

There are so many other great things about this resort so please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions. We will be back in 2 years no doubt!

One love,
Heather

Room Tip: There is a beachside and garden side. The beachside rooms are just steps away from the restaurant th...
4 Thank hferg4life
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
We are so thrilled to hear that you had such a marvelous vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations again. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again.

Enjoy your day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Polish first
Brainerd, Miinnesota, United States
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Pineapple from February 23, 2013 to the 28th. The staff was so friendly and willing to go the extra mile for anything we wanted or needed!! Antoinette (guest services), Ghavri (bartender), James (sous chef) and D'Von Whilby (security) all deserve an A+!!!! D'Von was so friendly and helpful and does an awesome job in his position! The food was fantastic and James went the extra mile one afternoon and made us some appetizers on the "off hours" and brought to us on the beach. Antoinette helped my boyfriend walk the resort and pick a big bouquet of flowers for me as a surprise. They are so many intimate things about this resort that we treasured. We are going back already in May!!! Each one of these employees are an asset to Grand Pineapple and made our stay extra special. I give this five stars because of them!!!

Room Tip: We are going back and thus time staying in a cottage on the beach. We stayed beachside before in th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jessi W
Thank you so much for your kind review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. We are very happy to know that you had a fabulous vacation with us. See you soon!

Litchfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I went to Grand Pineapple beginning of March. We have been to Jamaica about 20 times so we know the island .You can't beat the price of this resort. The location is great. The rooms are clean, but need serious updating. The balcony is very nice if you get a beachfront cottage. The staff is fabulous. The manager is very present ,friendly and accommodating. The dining and bar staff are great, warm, and efficient. The food needs help! Breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner are often limited and not well cooked. I know Alexander Pike is addressing this, but there needs to be a little more entertainment at night and a little mood lighting. All in all, we would go back for the location, beach, and staff. I would suggest eat out a couple of nights to break it up. The taxi drivers were great. Shout out to Vinton,the dining managers,and Alexander Pike. All in all a good place for the price.

Room Tip: Get a beachfront cottage
5 Thank Meln356
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable during their entire stay. We appreciate your feedback, I will be sure to forward your review to the managers. We hope to see you again.

Glace Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2013

ok...let me be completely honest...this was our first time to a 3 1/2 star resort and such a small one...turns out it was our best trip yet. The food was amazing. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The grounds were always clean with workers out busy making it even better. The crossing guards are outstanding as well as the taxi drivers. The best part about going to a small resort is you are not a number but actually a person. Everyone remembered our names and greeted us daily with a big smile and compliments :) now who doesn't like to be complimented...this place was genuinely good for the heart and soul. The beach was the best we have ever been on. If you want a nice relaxing vacation this is the spot for you. The manager Alexander Pyke is outstanding and doing an amazing job at GP. Needless to say we will definitely be going back :)

4 Thank ShaunaTerry
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril.Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. It's great to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. We hope to see you again in a near future.

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I made our first trip to Jamaica in early March. We chose GP because we wanted a laid back place that was centrally located on the beach. Shortly after our arrival we were greeted by Jeffrey who was in charge of the water sports and towels. He was informative, helpful and friendly. This theme was constant with all of the staff throughout our stay. Many knew our name within a few days. Jackie was absolutely incredible and made my wife feel right at home. Vinton made a great piña colada as did "marcus" and daryll had some great sauces that accompanied a variety of entrees. Carver was kind enough to make us a special memento of the trip which is now displayed in our home. And while It reminds us daily of the wonderful week we spent at GP, it won't be nearly the reminder as the little one we have comin in 9 months. Thanks, GP.

5 Thank Stacy H
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm glad that we were able to provide excellent service and excitement for you and your wife. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment.

Minehead
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My sister , sister in law and myself stayed at the grand pineapple resort from 27 th feb until 13 th march2013. We had such a lovely relaxing holiday and met some lovely , genuine people. Rob, Bob or murthy was a rely fun nice man. We really enjoyed (Kevin Bacons) company and missed him when he left. Hellen the woo woo lady was sooo much fun and when they left we didn't think we would meet anyone as nice and was sad that they had gone. We then met Dan & Chris and Leslie &Jill and spent our last week enjoying their company also. Alexander the manager was lovely and excellent at his job as were all his work colleges. Marvette was brilliant behind the bar, Devon the loveliest guardsman and waynesworth the funniest and should be in entertainment . All the staff were so nice and friendly apart from the front desk girls who were not so friendly but I'm sure the lovelyAlexander will rectify that. We've had a most enjoyable holiday and would definitely go back as we were made to feel so welcome. That's what is so nice about a smaller hotel , you're not just a number. The food was lovely at all times and very relaxing at meal times. The manor rooms definitely need sorting out and if I go back I would definitely book a room on the beach side. Alexander please make the manor rooms top of your to do list as it will put guests off returning. Everything else was excellent and it's the wonderful team that work here that makes your holiday a memorable one. Hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not book a manor room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shelley0709
Thank you so much for your review of Grand Pineapple Negril. We always want to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and satisfying stay with us and I'm glad you had such a wonderful time visiting our resort.

We hope that you return in near future!
Livingston, TN
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I have been coming to Jamaica for that past 20 years. We decided a year ago that for our 30th anniversary we would bring our adult children to Negril to show them all the places we have talked about over the years. We researched resorts and found the Grand Pineapple. It is right in the middle of Long Beach, affordable and perfect for what we needed.

Three weeks after we booked the resort, they announced they were closing. In the following few months, the parent company Sandals moved us to two different resorts and finally back to Grand Pineapple when they announced they were reopening. (Because of the treatment we received from Sandals we will never book with them again)

After reading message boards prior to our trip, I heard that Grand Pineapple had overbooked for our week (spring break) and were moving people to another resort. I messaged the manager to make sure we received the rooms we booked and paid for. He told me to message him a week before we left. When I messaged him a week before departure, he replied that their reservationist would be in touch. I waited 3 days with no contact. I messaged him again and he said he thought it had been taken care of. I finally heard from the reservationist the day before we were to be in Negril. She told me our three rooms had been upgraded from beachfront manor to beachfront cottages. That's great....but we have booked 4 rooms instead of three. There wasn't enough time to straighten this our before we arrived. I would deal with it when we got there.

Once we arrived, check in was fairly simple. They had upgraded all four rooms to beachfront cottage, however all four rooms had 2 double beds and we had booked king size. (Did I mention it was our anniversary?) Oh well.......at least we were in Jamaica!

The resort was beautiful and well manicured. The rooms were clean, but dated. No worries!

Many staff members were excellent and worthy of mention. Gvarhi, Bethune and Waynesworth were our favorites and gave excellent service. There was one female bartender that I won't mention by name that was not pleasant one day. But she must have been having a bad day because most of the time she was nicer. Most of the staff gave excellent service. We did see the manager a few times. We usually saw him at the buffet filling his plate.

The food was very good. Most of our group wished there was more Jamaican food such a jerk chicken/pork more often, But there was always something that everyone thought was delicious.

There was very little to do at the resort after dinner. Most of the guests seemed to go to bed early. Most of our group were in their 20's and were ready to dance and party into the late hours. This wasn't an option unless you were off the resort property. The bar closed at midnight.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip! However, little of that had to do with the resort. We were with the people we love in a place that we love (Negril).

Will we return to the Grand Pineapple? Probably not. But since we were paying for eight people on this trip, it was an affordable all inclusive. The Grand Pineapple was perfect for our needs for this trip, but don't know that we will be bringing a group this size back to Jamaica. When my wife and I return in the fall it will be at a higher end all inclusive where we can dance late into the night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Greg A
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I’m happy that you were able to have an enjoyable stay and wonderful room upgrade during your vacation spent with us. Our friendly staff on resort do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during the booking process before your stay. It seems we were experiencing some communication challenges and have since been able to address and correct these errors. Our goal is always to ensure that we are providing the best in both service and quality; from booking all the way to check-in and check-out. Therefore, your feedback helps with our improvement process.

We thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back for a stay that will exceed your expectations in the future.