“Could be better, but would still return”

Grand Pineapple Beach Negril
Ranked #22 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Toronto
“Could be better, but would still return”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the first time we stayed at a small boutique resort, and to be honest, we were a little disappointed when we arrived. We went in February 2013, soon after the resort re-opened. We expected the resort to look a lot newer, assuming that it was re-opening after renovation. But it looked like it literally just re-opened, without any work done.

We originally booked a beach side manor, but were told upon check in that we'd be put in a suite instead. We were naturally delighted to hear this news. But when we got into the room, I began to worry that it maybe way too close to the road, and way too noisy for a good night sleep. We requested a room change but was told that no other room was available.

The suite itself was very spacious. There's a big living room area with a tiny TV that we never used. The bedroom has a big king size bed with a decent size TV, looking towards the road. Everything looked clean, if a bit dated and old. We had a problem with the bathroom sink faucet, which was quickly fixed by a staff by cleaning the spout. My wife had no problem with the room, but me being a light sleeper, had problems getting good sleep due to the loud AC and the traffic outside. This should be easily solved with ear plugs. They will help even if your room is away from the road, because the frogs make very loud noises at night.

We took a walk across the road over to the garden side and it seems to be a more quiet area. We were offered to switch there on the second day, but we decided to stay because the beach side is so much more convenient being closer to the beach and the food (with the traffic it's actually quite a hassle to cross the road). Also, we could see that all the other regular rooms are so much smaller than the suite. So we decided that trading the convenience and size for the noise was worth it.

Compared to other big scale resorts, there's definitely less selection of food. But we find that the quality is actually better. There's actually no food waiting for you outside of the breakfast, lunch and dinner times, but you can request to have a burger or grilled cheese made for you in the afternoon. On one night a BBQ dinner was served on the beach (with live entertainment), which we found was quite a unique experience.

As I mentioned above, the resort was supposedly full during our stay. But even so, it was easy to find a couple of chairs on the beach to relax (not easy with big resorts). The location of the resort offers an unobstructed view of the sunset (probably true of all resorts along the seven mile beach). Whenever we left the resort (for snorkeling, walking to Times Square (10-min walk), etc), security would jot down our names and room #, I'm guessing for our safety.

The resort offers various watersports for free. If you're interested in going out with the little catamaran, do it as soon as it's available. We waited until our last day and were not allowed on it because the rescue boat was out of order.

The longer we stayed at the resort, the more we grew to like it. It's not easy for compare this resort with other big resorts as they offer a completely different experience. But if you've always stayed in big resorts, this place is definitely worth a try.

Room Tip: If staying on the beach side, ask for a room away from the road, or just bring ear plugs. Beach sid...
7 Thank Victor_35_Countries
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Pineapple Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you again.

Have a nice day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Polish first
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just got back from here on Thursday. I cannot remember the last time I was so sad to leave somewhere. By the time we left, it was like saying goodbye to family. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. We shared so many laughs with the staff. The women are warm and genuine, the men are beyond charming. The guys who worked security do a fantastic job. They were friendly & attentive, and immediately dealt with any issues that arose in a calm and professional manner. An extra big shout out to Patrick and Leroy (even though Leroy is an Arsenal fan. I forgave him for that).
The resort is the perfect size. Everything you could ever need is within walking distance, the beach is fanatastic, the food was great and don't even get me started on the drinks...Although I have seen other reviews criticizing the size of the lounge area, I thought it was perfect. If you can't get a seat, go take your drink down to the beach. Doesn"t sound like much of a hardship to me....Perhaps I am not as high maintenance as other people. You're on VACATION. Relax!
All the bartenders and dining room staff were fanatastic! I would start naming names, but I don't want to forget anyone. We loved each and every one of you! (ok, maybe an extra soft spot for Waynesworth...)
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would go back in a heartbeat.
Jamaica. One love. For real.

Room Tip: Definitely get a beachside cabin.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank Cindy H
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. We hope to see you again in a near future!

Chicago,IL.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Have gone to Negril for last 20 years. Had stayed at Grand Pineapple, Negril before. Made my reservations 4 months in advance. I was traveling with my son and one of his friends. 3 males. When I got to Montego Bay airport was informed by Sandal that I had been upgraded to stay at their Beaches Family can children resort. 3 males looking for a good time, but with no children around. I was forced to go to Beaches where I spent over 2 hours arguing with the management to get me and my party back to Grand Pineapple. They said there was water damage at the Grand Pineapple and my room was not available. When I finally got to the hotel, the hotel staff were not aware of any water damage. Have tried to contact Sandal customer service, by no reply!! Be careful when making reservations with Sandals, you may not know what you are going to get.

Room Tip: Get room by beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Dalecped
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I apologize for the long review, but this was our first trip to Jamaica and we were so impressed!

Our trip to the Grand Pineapple Resort Negril with Westjet Vacations (Feb 9-16th) started in Winnipeg direct to Jamaica arrived around 2pm. The 3 of us (Stan, I and our Friend Lou) made our way to the JTL desk who directed us to our van transportation to our resort. About a 1.5 hr beautiful drive along the coast and a few stops to drop other guests off and we were at the Grand Pineapple.

From the time we stepped out of the van we were greeted with friendly, fun-loving staff. We were shown to our room, dumped our luggage and off to the beach, via the bar to grab a cocktail and watch the sunset with the other guests. Ah paradise! It was Saturday evening, so the resort had a couple of sets of live music Jamaican style.

Our room was across the street in the Garden side cottages. We had no problem crossing the street as the resort has crossing guards on both sides to stop traffic and ensure you get across safely. It was nice and quiet here and people often sat on their patio/balcony to enjoy the weather and scenery. We had a king bed room which was a little small with the large TV cabinet, but we were not dancing in there so it was fine for us. Lou had a main floor room with 2 doubles which seemed to have more space. The coffee maker & coffee were great to have while getting ready in the morning! Our room was always clean and enough towels & condiments left for us.

The food was all very tasty! Not a large buffet, but suited the smaller size of the resort. Breakfast with eggs/omelettes to order, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, toast and sweet buns. I enjoyed my brief morning chats with the lady who made the eggs...such a nice woman. Lunch varied with some days sandwiches/wraps as you wish, salad fixings, fish, crispy chicken (yummm), interesting soups and fruit and deserts. Supper had various theme nights with pasta to order, carving stations of turkey, jerk pork, stir fry and other very tasty accompaniments. The deserts were really good...we especially liked the coconut ones! The Beach BBQ night was fabulous! What a nice idea to sit under the stars and enjoy a lovely meal with live music. The wine was just okay, but we soon found it went well with our meal. I would suggest larger glasses are in order for the red variety. As well, we enjoyed the after supper liquors like schnapps and a special coffee (or two) with coffee liquor or rum cream. Thank you so much to Joseph for taking such good care of us and the lovely flower petals on our last evening. And Conrad for listening to our suggestion to have ice cream served at the resort!

The bar was a busy spot at times but the staff was always friendly and served people in rotation. The beer was on tap & nicely chilled and they had a good selection of mixed drinks and cocktails. For me, the gin & tonics were quite refreshing during the day! The bar is conveniently located on the beach side of restaurant with a few comfy wicker seats which were nice to sit and chill out and watch the beach happenings.

The beach...wow, what can I say! The water...so calm, clear and multiple shades of blue/green. Only a couple days were a bit rough. There were always enough loungers & chairs, towels and always sunny or shady spots to be had. The resort has sea kayaks, boards, snorkel gear and life vests to use. We had our own snorkel masks but didn't see much sea life inside the swimming area. We saw the odd ray swim by close to shore, but they didn't bother swimmers. There are various activities up and down the beach for rent like seadoos, boat rides day or evening and catamaran rides. At the resort beach, Courtney the wood carver was interesting to watch and visit with. In spite of numerous guests asking when their personal carving would be finished, he always managed to finish on time. Ours "Welcome Friends...No Problem".

We went on a Glass Bottom boat ride with Captain Moses' tours to Booby Cay (sp?). Captain Papa toured us near the reef to see starfish, sea urchins, colourful fish, coral, etc on the way to the island. Once at the island there were fresh caught lobster, which the guys there bbq'd for us at a charge. Oooooh, so good.

Another day we took a taxi, which are just outside the resort, to Rick's Cafe. About a $35 round trip. Clive dropped us off about 2pm and would pick us up at 5pm. We went early to avoid the crowds. Neat place and we watched numerous people jump from the cliffs into the crystal clear water...the water is soooo beautiful! When the crowds started to roll in about 5pm, we went to the entrance and Clive was there to pick us up. We didn’t stay as the sunsets from our resort beach were incredible as well.

There are lots of places to shop up and down the beach. A couple of times we walked (10-15mins) to the Times Square mall…either via the beach thru Bourbon Beach or down the street. The mall is a nice place with lots of selection, reasonable prices and a neat little bar kiosk in the centre for when the spouses loose their shopping focus! The stores here barter as well and some take Canadian $$.

An Island Routes tour rep was at the resort but we didn't get around to booking a tour. Our next visit will be longer and we will likely take some of the very interesting tours. The Office staff were always friendly and helpful and put up with my husband’s jovial attitude. The Trading Post shop had a nice selection of souvenirs.

We so enjoyed our short stay at the Grand Pineapple and look forward to returning. Thank you to all of the staff. You made our stay so special!
Lou, Stan & Val.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the walk, the rooms on the garden side are nice & quiet. Beach side rooms...
15 Thank RRvino
We are so thrilled to hear that you had such a marvelous vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations. We want all our guests to have the experience of being in paradise and I am delighted to hear that we were able to create that experience for you. I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager and staff. Thank you so much for your great review. We hope to see you again!

Enjoy your day.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed Feb. 6-10. We had a great time, We can't thank the staff enough for making this one of the best vacation we have had. The service was great and the staff was always near by to help or answer a question and very attentive.. The room was very clean but the bed was not very comfortable. Other then that...there were no probblems. Everyone at the resort was friendly and went out of their was to make our trip enjoyable. If you want to go to Ricks Cafe to see the sunset...Make sure to go on "Captian Moses" sunset cruise with Captain Popa and Melvin they were so much fun, we were glad we went with them and the sunset on the ocean was much prettier then watching it at Ricks. A special thanks to... Joesph for setting our table with 6 different shape napkins and flowers on our last night there. Also the gardsman D'von Whilby for making the beach safe and friendly conversation, he did a good job and Andrea Lockrage for always being friendly while we were waiting to cross the street she also did a good job. Food was good and every night they had a different cuisine. Thank you everyone at the Grand Pineapple, we will be back to stay with you.

7 Thank lovedjamacia2013
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your great and kind review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. We hope to see you again in a near future.

Have a nice day!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked orginally for this resort with 2 grandchildren, my dauther and her husband 2 rooms ... the property is immaculate... Upon arrival staff was most attentive and was extremely cognizant that there were two small guests as well. The accommodated the running around in the reception area of these youngsters and told us constantly that they too were on vacation... Speaking of service ...staff person Lanique is the ultimate in customer service. Our check in was painless... because of the overbooking our rooms got split up ... a compensation was offered... Guess what the compensation looked like???? Transfer to their Beaches negril property... Wow.

Cannot say anymore... The GM ... Alex was excellent... very attentive.. he is actually available and walks the property...

Thanks SANDALS ... you deserve to be at the top of this industry

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank bjoy1955
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and It is always our pleasure to serve. We are happy to know that you and your family enjoyed your vacation. We hope to see you all again.

Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked this hotel with 9 other couples. We got to the airport and said 3 of the couples had cancelled (Which they did NOT). Having to call our travel agent in the states for hours so we could all stay somewhere together. They wanted to split us up and have us move in the middle of our vacation which we had already wasted entirely too much time in the airport trying to get our group to a hotel together. We ended up at the Beaches Hotel which was nice but a lot of kids. They still wanted us to move in the middle of our vacation which we refused. The Beaches Resort was great, minus the kids.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank claudiaw0209
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Please accept our apologies for the error in booking. As you know, this is not the norm for us as we always strive to ensure that our guests have enjoyable vacations with the little to no speed bumps. On a brighter note however, I'm happy to see that we were able to accommodate you and your family at our Beaches resort. It's so good to know that you all enjoyed the upgrade and we were able to quickly turn things around for you.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back for a seamless and memorable experience in the near future.

Cassie C.