“Average holiday” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Average holiday”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I spent 11 days in this hotel. I chose it for my honeymoon and I have to say that it was just average holiday, and for this money it was less than average. I was dissapointed. We were accomodated in garden side cottage - the room was out-dated, I had no problem with this but there was no enough space for our clothes, so we have everything in our luggage all holiday and we had a problem with bathroom: poor pressure in shower and bad flushing of the toilette.
Food: veeery poor choice of food, I think that I am not very challenging about food, but I missed some ham and vegetable at breakfast. The lunch was the worst, after week I stopped to go there. I do not think that sandwiches or tortillas are appropriate to lunch - and no as specialty of the day. At all it was very repetitive and adapted for Americans and British. About thematic dinners - I was confused, in my opinion it was far far away from any theme.
Entertainment: There was live music few times other days it was nothing and I was bored.
Bar: There were many drinks to choose. It was positive but there were no space to sit - a few couches - always occupied by the same people.
Beach: It was ok. Enough sunbeds but not enough privacy. And it could be cleaner. People were so rude that day light their cigarettes off in the sand and left there.
Sea: Perfect, nice and clean.

I travel a lot and this experience was disappointing for me. For example I was in Dominican Republic last year, also in 3 stars hotel and for less money (500 Euro less per person) and there was a lot of food and everything was much much better.

4 Thank Martina K
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We regret to hear that your were disappointed with your experience at our resort. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our accommodations, food and the genuine hospitality of our staff. However, as hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We are always looking for ways to improve our resort to exceed the expectations of our clients. Since we are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities, I will be sure to send your feedback to the General Manager and relevant departments.

Kind Regards,
Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

We are in our late 40's and this is our second time to Negril Jamaica. We thought we would try a smaller resort as we usually choose the larger AI's. First impression-quaint. We thought the evening check-in service was lacking. We had booked through our travel agent a top floor garden room, queen bed & requested a fridge. I also messaged Alicia through trip advisor to be sure our request was submitted. She forwarded my email to another person who emailed me and said he had let Reservations know of my request. The front desk did not know of our requests and the young lady seemed annoyed. We were given a bottom floor room with double beds and no fridge. It took about 1 hour to sort it out. Also, we paid for a week of internet but it was not communicated by the front desk girl on how exactly to get it. After 3 hours of trying, she had us call tech support & they walked us through it. Not a big deal just alot of inconvenience after a long day of travel. Our room is on the garden side. We found it quiet and a little boring as there is not much to look at.

By day 3 we realized this is not the resort for us. There are no bar stools around the 1 bar. they have lounge seating in the bar area for about 12 people. Certainly not enough for the number of guests in the hotel. Also, there are some guests who put their stuff on the lounge seating only to then sit out on the beach for hours on end. This should not be allowed. The food is tasteful but unless it's cooked in front of you it's always luke warm in the serving trays, never hot. By the time we sat down to eat it it was usually cold. We mentioned this to the kitchen supervisor and he said some people complained it was too hot. ???? Not sure I understand that statement.

The rooms are adequate and very clean. Entertainment was a small band and very low key. This is not a party resort.
I think before choosing the Grand Pineapple you have to decide what is important to you in a resort. For us we would like hot food, more than one place to eat, and larger grounds to walk after dinner, an ocean view room, as well as some entertainment.

I do want to mention the staff. They are marvelous, kind funny and always accomodating. The spa services are over the top. The crossing guards were fabulous and always made us smile. We paid $4000 for 10 days and enjoyed 7 mile beach, but will not come to the Grand Pineapple again simply because its not the resort for us. We did see many repeat customers who seem to love it here.

Sent from my iPad

2 Thank UXO B
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I'm sorry that you did not quite enjoy your experience with us. It seems some improvement on our part is needed in a number of areas with regards to client satisfaction. I'm happy, however, to read that our wonderful staff was able to make this stay much more enjoyable for you. We are known for the many smiling faces and eager staff just waiting to ensure that you are having a great stay.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and has been brought to the attention of our management team for review and action as needed. We hope to welcome you back to experience any updates and new features that will not only meet your expectations but exceed them as well.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We are on day 2 of our vacation at the Grand Pineapple. I will write a full review later, but one thing I want to mention is the lack of seating around the bar. No seating around the bar, people stand for long periods of time if they want to hang out at the bar.

There is only enough comfy lounge seating for approx. 16 people. The lounge seating is ok, but not as great for mingling. There are chairs at tables further back from the bar, but again not for mingling.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Molly229
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. It´s always very important to us to know what our guests think. We appreciate your feedback and I will let know the managers. Enjoy your stay.

Have a great day!
lancaster
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I traveled to grand pineapple beach Negril resort feb 1-5 2013 with my girlfriend for a nice relaxing get away. The weather was nice about 85 the whole time and only rained for about a 1/2 hr the whole trip. We are a younger couple and would have enjoyed some entertainment and there was no entertainment at all! They had 2 people play music at the resort 2 different nights while we were there for about an hour each and nothing else other then that. I was expecting reggae/ Caribbean music to be playing all day while sitting on the beach to set the atmosphere of being on vacation on an island. There was absolutely nothing to do at night at the resort the bar had no chairs to sit at so you had to stand at the bar if you wanted to hang there. The only chairs were at the dining tables and a couch and 2 smaller chairs that were always occupied in front of the bar. The food at the resort was about the only nice thing about the place good variety and tasteful sometimes it could have been hotter but nothing in my eyes to really complain about i have had way worse at better resorts. The beach is beautiful but the pictures they show you are very deceiving. The beach is very small and about half the size they show in pictures. Another nice thing was that beach chairs were plentiful and we always were able to get one. If you wanna go for a nice relaxing walk down the beach it IS NOT relaxing at all it is very annoying with non stop haggling from the locals to buy something and when you tell them no thank you, they still continue to bug you it is VERY ANNOYING! After u get done telling one person no, the next person down the way is right at you as well! We did not feel safe traveling outside of the resort after an uneasy experience with one of the locals. Trying to get U.S. money was an absolute nightmare also. There is no ATM at the resort and there is only a few ATM's on the island and only about 1 of them worked and only gave you jamaican money which is not good because when u have to exchange it back to US dollars you lose money, everyone there accepts US dollars so theres no need for jamaican. The rooms were just ok they were clean but very outdated and the mattress was hard as a rock. After reading reviews before and seeing online they were closed for a lil while I would have thought it was for renovations but that was definitely not the case. I booked through cheap Caribbean and also booked for a ride to and from the airport through cheap Caribbean that was through jamaican tours. that was an absolute nightmare!! after being told on the phone before i booked the trip from the airport would be 45min-1hr, it turned out we were on the bus for 2 1/2 hours!! the driver kept making short stops every 10 min at lil shacks along the street for what we felt like were drug runs. he would run in by himself with stuff in his hand and come back out 1 min later with money in hand and after a long flight we just wanted to be at the resort not spending hours on a bus for the driver to take care of his personal stuff! we would have made off a lot better just getting a taxi outside the airport which would have taken us straight to the resort with no stops for cheaper!! DO NOT USE JAMAICA TOURS FOR ANYTHING!!! the ride back to the airport was just as horrible i cant tell you how many times we had to keep turning around after already being half way to the airport to pick people up. It was very annoying and the most disorganized operation I have ever seen in my life. When we finally got to the airport we had to hurry to eat and make sure we got to our flight on time. we shouldn't have had to rush when we were picked up 5 hrs before our flight and spent about 3hrs or so on the bus because of constant turning around and mis communication between our driver and Jamaica tours. All in all I got what i paid for, beach was nice and food was ok and rooms were clean and we definitely got relaxation because thats all there was to do. we did go snorkeling and that was very nice i have snorkeled in dominican and cancun and saw a whole lot more snorkeling in Jamaica then anywhere else. I would not return to this resort i will spend the extra money next time and stay at a more reputable place in a less poverty stricken haggling area where we can feel safe and enjoy a walk on the beach.

8 Thank D J
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We want to ensure that our future guests do not experience any shortages during their time with us.

We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Happy Travels!

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

We as a family had a amazing holiday here last July. My husband and daughter of 18yrs & son of 16yrs old stayed in the beachside. On arrival we were met by the staff who were more than helpful. As we went to our rooms it was made aware that our rooms were not together but this was no problem for the staff they explained that if our children stayed for one night in there room and the next day they would move them to the same block, and they did as they said.

The food was great and catered for everyone & if you happened to be out at lunchtime and miss the food the staff were more than happy to go and fix you something. The staff take so much pride in there work from the beach staff to the cleaners. I must say they like there table tennis my husband and son had great pleasure in playing all the bar staff, chiefs also the lovely Cortney who sits on the beach making beautiful wood carvings ( purchased 3).

The entertainment was good we had a band play one night who were great but only played for a few hours so we and some of the guests chipped in and paided them to play some morea and what a brill time we had dancing with staff :)

Next door is Alfred's if you want a good night out go there, people on here complain about the noise from here but we were the last cottage on the beach and found that music didn't bother us at all ( maybe cos we were there till closing)

The beach Is breathtaking. We will defo go back as you get a warm welcome from everyone

Room Tip: Beach side cottages for us as your right on the beach and near the bar and restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Carrina25
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Negril. I'm glad that we were able to provide excellent service and excitement for everyone in your family. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment. We hope to see you all again in the future.

Have a nice day!
MITCHELL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great hotel and wonderful staff. The food and drinks were really great. Lots of variety and no issues with being sick at all. The rooms are big enough, very plain but cleaned great every day. There was no issues with the plumbing although they seemed to turn off the water through the night. I would recommend the beachside cottages if you want to be in the action or the garden side if you want to be quiet, quiet quiet....We were on the gardenside for 2 nights as we booked a beachside cottage but didn't get it for 2 nights. (the only negative thing that happened all week)
There are no beach chair games here, the staff on the beach are wonderful and don't expect to get paid for every chair they move...

Room Tip: we were in room 52...on the beachside but the noice from Alfreds doesn't effect your sleep. Pic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JANET B
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Negril, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Pineapple Negril. Your vacation seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. It´s always good to know what our guest think and I will forward your review to the resort. We hope to see you again in a near future.

Enjoy your day.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I had a really wonderful stay at the boutique Grand Pineapple and would definitely choose this as my hotel choice whenever I return to beautiful Negril beach again. It’s more of a 3.5 than 4 star hotel. I travelled alone from 21st Dec 2012 to Jan 13th 2013 – just over 3 weeks. The hotel was not too big and not too small to be comfortable and welcoming. It is in a prime location on the beach near to the day and night live music hotspots and a pleasant walk in both directions to check out what’s happening on the beach. The hotel residents were varied, friendly and easy to get along with for me. It is a testimony to the Grand Pineapple that many were returning guests who love the ambiance of the hotel and the beach! I had a garden view cottage which was nice and quiet, a good size and adequate for my needs.

The staff were absolutely fabulous – this is what gives the hotel the ‘edge’, from management – who worked really hard; chefs, kitchen staff and waiting staff; bar staff; security – who were like caring and nurturing parents concerned for my welfare; reception staff; tour administrators and pool staff – I don’t want to mention numerous names in case I forget anyone who provided excellent customer service that added to my memorable experience….they know who they are! 

Food - there was always something to suit all tastes. Any concerns or queries I had about anything, reception were always attentive and did their best to meet my needs.

The live bands a few times a week were great! You can sit and listen to the bands or let your hair down and dance under the stars! … as I did! Also the themed nights where effort was made to change the ‘feel’ of the evenings added another dimension.

I had a blast; together with trips and venturing out downtown, on tours, to Times Square etc. The whole experience was so much better than I expected and I so look forward to returning. 

Lorraine
London, England

Room Tip: Garden view cottage room - quiet and private - security staff nurturing and ensure a prompt and safe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank UkLolly
We are so thrilled to hear that you had a great vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations. I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. Thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you again.

Have a nice day.