“My Home Away From Home - This is a nice budget guest house.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Van Villa

Van Villa
Ranked #31 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Brooklyn, New York
“My Home Away From Home - This is a nice budget guest house.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have stayed at Van Villa 3 times and will return again and again. Van Villa is a guest house with signature Jamaican wooden furnishings and typical flowery seat cushions, curtains and bedspreads, located in an alley behind the Devon House Ice Cream shop in the town. The location is right smack dabb in the middle of town so you are not far from local restaurants, grocery stores, banks, clubs, the pharmacy, Burger King, local vendors, etc. Thought you are not on the beach, it is a short walk across the round about and a small bridge.

My 1st impression when I drove up was "this alley looks dicey". The Alley is a part paved part dirt road that has some wooden stalls and shade trees on the right and some wooden shacks with guys playing dominos and a couple of houses on the left. The many times I have been there I have never had a problem with anyone there. I've even made a few friends who recognize me every time I return by shouting out "EMPRESS!" when they see me, I love it. On certain days the wooden stalls are occupied by local venders selling everything from fish, fruits and vegetables clothing, toys, slippers, Music CD's you name it. It is a farmers market of sorts.( Being from Brooklyn NY that's the only thing I can compare it to LOL.) At night the alley is lit but dark in some areas. You would have to judge for yourself if that would be a problem for you. I would walk up and down the alley alone at night and felt comfortable, but then again I'm from Brooklyn : )

The owners Ms Vilma and her husband Desmond are very friendly and laid back. I felt very comfortable and safe. Their son Desmond Jr. is very friendly he drove me and my friend to the Hi-Lo so we could shop for groceries. My friend and I had too many bags to walk back so we called him and he picked us back up and didn't ask for money or anything.

The rooms are very basic with comfortable beds, air conditioning hot water with good water pressure, screened window, cable TV with premium channels. The property is secure and has iron gates before your entry way with heavy pad locks to lock the gate. The rooms are clean and comfy. I felt like I was a true Jamaican living in an apartment there.

This place is perfect if you are on a tight budget. Ms Vilma is very reasonable and will work with you. We didn't have any major problems with the accommodations.

Room Tip: I prefer the kitchenette because they have more space.