“Unforgettable all around.”

Idle Awhile The Villas
Ranked #3 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Negril
“Unforgettable all around.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The outstanding service started from when we were picked up at the airport. Our hotel driver Nedric had a smile on his face and a cooler filed with cold drinks. Our concierge, Nisha made sure she was there to greet us every morning and made sure our day was planned out just right. Or chef Nathaniel was great, nothing he made I did not like. Our bartender/friend Sasha was outstanding. So much to say about her, but will sum it up to she made the place feel like home. Villa was clean, nice and in a great location. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Outstanding experience and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Spencer, Iowa, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My in-laws wanted to take us on a vacation for their 60th birthdays and chose Moon Dance Villas. After she sent me the information I thought the pictures were too good to be true - I was completely wrong. Upon arrival we were greeted by Neisha who showed us our villa. We stayed in the Bay Whisper Villa (5 bedrooms) which was perfect for our family. The short walk to our villa was gorgeous, out of every window in every room of our villa we could see gorgeous foliage and flowers. We were greeted with amazing fresh squeeze juice. Neisha sat down with us and asked us what we would like for our first meal and showed us around, out to the private beach (which we shared with other guests, but it was so spacious that was NEVER a problem). I can not say enough about Neil, our chef, who made everything we wanted. Since we were celebrating birthdays, he ended up making 3 delicious cakes and the staff sang happy birthday to each person. Every meal he made was delicious - we all came home wanting Neil to come with us. His traditional jerk pork and jerk chicken are a must while you are there but he will make whatever you want. We ate every meal there in our 6 day stay, when we went out on a glass bottom boat, they packed a lunch and cooler for us. When we went diving, they packed everything we would need. They had snacks, beer, pop, and water available to us all the time. Our bartender Wendy, was amazing, she got us anything we wanted and decorated our table everyday so it was gorgeous. We had my 15 month old nephew with us and the entire staff was amazing with him. We also used a babysitter (for an extra charge) provided by Moon Dance and she was amazing. When we got back my nephew didn't want to leave her arms. RoRo and Dale kept our pool clean and kept us safe of the beach. Whatever we wanted to do they had it set up for us in minutes. Want to go to scuba diving? Parasailing? Ride jet skis? Go to the market? Snorkeling? On a glass bottom boat? They will find the right people and vendors who won't screw you over. They do everything in their power to keep you happy and safe. I was unfortunate enough to jump off of the cliffs at Rick's Cafe and broke my tailbone. The staff was so helpful getting a doctor who came right to the resort. He gave me pain meds and anti inflammatory shot to get me through the plane ride back to Iowa. I can't say enough about the staff. Neisha checked on us every morning, helped us plan our meals, helped us plan what we wanted to do for the day. Neil and Wendy were there whenever we needed them to be - if we wanted breakfast at 6 it would be ready then. RoRo and Dale helped us with everything else we needed. Amazing staff. Amazing memories. Amazing memories. If I would ever take another trip I would never stay any where but here. I would request the same staff because they were so amazing. If you want a vacation where you want to be waited on hand and foot and be spoiled by the nicest people in Jamaica - this is your place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My girlfriends and I wanted to do something special for our 40th birthday and we hit the nail on the head with Moon Dance Villas. Together with our husbands, we stayed in the Ginger Breeze house and LOVED all of the staff! We started off the day with Jeremy, our driver, picking us up in Montego Bay. We had a great ride and learned some Patwaa (sp?) on the way. We were greeted by Jonathan and Kaisha with fancy blue drinks and were shown to our house and around the property. We were happily shocked (one of my friends was moved to tears!) For the next several days we were treated like kings and queens by Jonathan, our bartender and Neil, who was a talented and amazing chef. We had the best food I have ever had. It was fresh, seasoned perfectly and always hot off the stove! We were never without a drink in our hands and wanted for nothing the entire week. We LOVED Jonathan, Neil, RoRo, Dale and all of the other staff who took such good care of us, including cleaning the big beautiful house daily. We loved Negril and I would never stay anywhere else! This trip was very relaxing and fun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
West Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were the "mom and dad" in the review titled "Our Best Vacation Ever", that renewed our vows for our 50th wedding anniversary at Moon Dance Villas (Bay Whisper), Negril, Jamaica with our two sons, their wives, and our two grandchildren. Our son started to write the review but was forced to "submit" before he had completed it, so asked me to do so. He specifically asked me to mention the fantastic job that our concierge, Nesha, did for all of us while there. What can I say, but "awesome"? She was there every morning to check on us and to help plan our meals for that day, arrange excursions and transportation, and to attend to any and every need or problem (like my lost luggage which she got delivered right to our door in short notice). She also attended to every detail of our "vow renewal". She and Oneika (our absolutely wonderful wedding coordinator) took care of my flowers, decorated the bridge and arch, set up a table on the beach for our certificate signing, scattered flower petals on the walk and beach path, made the arrangements for Reverend Pearth, and even "made" me a cd for our music that night. She planned our special dinner that night, complete with champagne, and a beautiful cake that she took the time out of her very busy day to personally bake just for us (as I hadn't even planned to have one). As my son said, we were all a little "unsure" at first at the prospect of having a "staff", but got used to it real quick. I have never been more "pampered" in my life! Our driver, Dean, waited at the airport for us, as we were late in arriving. He actually found us in the middle of a crowd, wandering around in a daze, and greeted us with a "full cooler" for our ride to the villa. We were met outside at the van by smiling faces and margaritas!! We were escorted to our beautiful, cool room, to freshen up, and out to the patio for one of the most fantastic meals I've ever eaten....which was just the first of the many fabulous meals our chef, Nate, prepared for us. (I said it was a good thing they were weighing our lugguge when we returned, and not us!) The night of our "vow renewal" we returned to our room to find that Denzil had decorated the room with flowers everywhere! There was a heart of flowers and "I love you" spelled out on the bed. It was beautiful, as was every morning, with fresh flowers and "towel animals" adorning our room. Now, for Andre, our barman,...and our "everything". I fell so in love with him that I felt like I was leaving one of my kids behind. I don't remember having to "ask" for anything. He was there with drinks, snacks, fans, towels, whatever. He walked by one day heading to the beach with a cooler, and I asked where he was headed. He said, "just going to see if "our kids" need a cold drink or a fresh towel". He served our meals and kept our glasses full, and had our coffee waiting for us every morning to greet another beautiful day in paradise. He was wonderful. The groundskeeper, and people at the pool and beach, were just terrific also. We are most definitely asking for our entire staff again when we return....which we are also most definitely going to do. Our time there was without a doubt, "our best vacation ever".
One other concern, for me, was security and tales of being hassled by vendors on the beach. Not so. I was greeted most mornings by security "blowing kisses" to me as I sat on my balcony, sipping hot coffee, and looking at the beautiful ocean....and, again, as we sat outside around our pool until the wee hours of morning. Perfectly safe and secure. The vendors were very respectful and never created a problem. Security was also very prevalent on the beach area.

Room Tip: Bay Whisper was the only place we found that had 5 "master bedrooms".
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sullivan, Indiana
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just got back from 5 days at Moon Dance Villas. We stayed in the 5 bedroom Bay Whisper Villa. The reason for the trip was a family vacation but also my mom and dad were renewing theirs vows for their 50th anniversary. My brother and his wife joined my family of 4 plus my mom and dad. We were met by our driver Nedrick at the airport. Once our bags were loaded into the van we were pleasantly surprise by a large cooler of red stripe, water and drinks. When we arrived at Moon Dance Villas we were greeted by Nesha and introduced to our staff (Nate, Andre, Denzil) as well as rum punch drinks. We were escorted to our villa and the pictures on the website don't come close to describing how beautiful and big these villas are. Our bags were taken to our rooms and we got to sit down and eat our first prepared meal. Because we have never had the luxury or privelage of staying in a place that provides a staff, we were skeptical at first about the food we were going to eat, whether or not we should go to the grocery store and bring food back and what we would be charged. After the first meal we were blown away how great it was, couldn't wait for the next meal and fully trusted our staff to do what they do best. Our meals the next 5 days were the best meals we have ever eaten. Nate is one of the best chefs you will ever come across anywhere. Andre served us all our meals, kept us supplied in any drink you can imagine, although I became hooked on red stripe, rum n coke and rum punch, my daughter on virgin strawberry daiquiris and my wife mainly stuck to white wine. When we left the villa for an excursion Andre and Nate would pack a cooler for us with all the necessities to get us by until we returned. Our driver Nedrick delivered us safely to our excursions (Black River, YS Falls, Appleton Rum Factory, Rose Hall Plantation, Ricks Cafe) and back to our villa each time. The villa was so awesome and the staff was so great we hated leaving and when we did we couldn't wait to get back. Each day our whole villa would be cleaned and each night each bed had a different towel animal and flower pedals on it. Their attention to detail is second to none. Each morning the grounds and beach staff would be picking up debris and raking the sand on the beach. They also did an outstanding job negotiating water excursions we did while at the villa including glass bottom boat ride to Booby Cay for lobster and jet ski rental a couple of times. When my mom and dad renewed their vows the last night we were their the area was decorated beautifully and the staff presented my mom and dad a cake that they had made. It was the end of the best vacation we have ever taken. When we received our final bill for the food and the drinks I literally thought a page was missing and had guessed it to be twice as much as it was. Upon leaving at 4:00 a.m. the next morning we felt like we were leaving family behind. My family and I cant wait to go back and when we do we hope that everyone is still there.

Room Tip: All bedrooms have their own AC unit and the rest of villa is open air with ceiling fans. Made it ver...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 20, 2013

30 of our friends and family had a fantastic week staying at MDV. This was the location we chose for our destination wedding after a trip earlier this year to check it out. I would definitely recommend MDV for many reasons but the staff is a huge part of why. We stayed in the 4 bedroom villa along with our 5 kids and rented out 4 of the 6 villas. We did not rent the 5 bdrm Ginger Breeze or the 1 bdrm Lilac Mist but did stay in the 1 bedroom previously. The 4 bedroom was the perfect central villa for everyone to congregate because of the location, pool & pool table. I think it is the best of the villas and where I would hope to stay for my next visit.

Oneika did a fantastic job planning the wedding for us and took care of all the little details. The rehearsal dinner and the wedding were completely different experiences and both memorable. We had a band one night and a DJ another... and danced for hours.

Our chef (Sarge) cooked amazing food for us all week including great steaks for the wedding. Glenn & Christine were also amazing and helped make the experience even more memorable. The staff from the other villas floated around to help as well since our guests were all over. I did not get to meet all of them but Jonathan was one that I saw a lot and did a great job taking care of my parents along with their chef Mark. Thanks!

The whole week was more relaxing than I could have imagined given that we had our 5 kids between the ages of 4 & 12 with us. But the kids had fun and the ocean on 7 mile beach was perfect for them to play in.

Ro-Ro took care of everything we needed for beach activities. He arranged snorkeling trips, jet skiing, parasailing and setup (he played too) a volleyball net for our us to use right in front of the villas. He was a great beach concierge. The beach security was also great (Thanks Jackie) and helped our guest feel secure and comfortable.

There is a long list of positive things I can share and would be happy to provide more details to anyone else considering this location. It is a more expensive option than many other spots in Negril but I really felt like it was worth the money to have such an amazing wedding/family vacation. For example... my wife was also celebrating her birthday during our week in Negril and I asked the staff if we could do something special for her. Without any other guidance they planned a dinner party for all our guest at the large pool in the back. They must have spent hours setting this up and it was a total surprise for my wife. Much more than I expected and just one of the little things they did to make sure this trip was special for everyone.

The negatives were minimal from my perspective but not everything was perfect.

Bugs- Many guest did have issues with bug bites. One of our kids had a lot on his legs. However, i barely was touched and did not use any bug spray all week. The staff had bug spray for us to use and many guest were using a lot of it at night.

Vendors- As most reviewers of Negril have noted... the vendors on the beach can be fairly agressive and can sometime make it difficult to have a relaxing walk down the beach. My experience was that being friendly but sticking to a simple no thanks was just fine. However, other guests seemed to have some more negative experiences that kept them from exploring the area off the resort as much as they might have liked.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you want to be pampered and treated like a king or queen, then Moon Dance resorts is the place to go! Our personal Chef Sarg and waiter/bartender, Glenn were the absolute best! ALL OF THE STAFF was AMAZING! I will definitely visit again! Ms. Nisha, the resort coordinator/manager was awesome, as well! You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: We were in the Azure villa and stayed in the Master Bedroom, which had a jawdropping view! LOVED IT...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family