“Wonderful group vacation.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Idle Awhile The Villas

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Idle Awhile The Villas
Ranked #3 of 47 Specialty Lodging in Negril
CT
“Wonderful group vacation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Wonderful location and very nice accomodations. Staff provided a wonderful pig roast on the beach for us and other special meals. The 5 bedroom next to Chances was lovely, but a bit dark due to the lush foliage. The 4 bedroom had a very nice sunny pool. Last trip to Negril was 10 years ago and the beach vendors seem to have multiplied! Wonderful time with friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We recently had our wedding at the Moondance Villas and were overjoyed with our experience. The Moondance and their wonderful staff especially Oneika and Carrie made it a special experience and pulled off an unbelievable wedding. We flew down on a Sunday and our guests on a Tuesday and we all stayed until Sunday. First off when myself and my wife got to Moondance we had rented the 1 bedroom for an extra couple of nights but would be staying in the 4 bedroom with our guests when they arrived. Well they put us right in the four bedroom which we had all to ourselves the first two nights. Moondance and our travel agent helped set up transportation for all 43 of our guests from the airport which went great. They set up a cocktail hour and appetizer meet and greet per our request which was great. They took care of all our needs including getting the whiskey i like and the energy drink one of guests requested. The meals were outstanding. Everything is so tasty. I'm not a big chicken eater but their bbq and jerk chicken were cooked to perfection. You can eat family style or pick your own food. My wife had lobster every night for dinner. Our rehearsal dinner was outstanding and the reggae band we got was well worth the money. One of the highlights of our trip was the fire dancer at our rehearsal dinner. He was fun and interactive and I'd highly recommend getting him for any group event. Oneika and Carrie made our wedding perfect. They handled much of the details got us prices on everything so we could decide on what we wanted. The Villas covered all the costs so that we would have just one bill at the end of our stay to pay for everything for the wedding which was so nice. DJ Intelligence from sound illusion was awesome. He has a website to make music requests ahead of time and plays great fun music overall. We brought a lot of our own decorations including christmas lights, paper lanterns and they took them at the beginning of our trip and put them all up so we didn't have to worry about any of that. The only caveat to the planning was that the flower place floral fantasies did not have a very good selection of candles for the center pieces so we had to bring our own and we payed extra for a lot of rose petals to make up the aisle and there was definitely not $300 dollars worth of rose petals and the aisle did not look like what we asked the flower shop for. But that was very minor. The dinner was great. We had our cake made by a Noida Cooke who did an unbelievable job. The cake was beautiful and very tasty. We also brought sky lanterns to light off as our wedding favors and they just made the night that much more fun and special. We were married on a friday and the next morning they had a tent set up for us with a great brunch. Overall the staff were friendly and very attentive. The chefs will make anything you want. If you have special food or beverage requests if they can find them in Jamaica they will get them for you. I don't think it would have been possible to have a better wedding anywhere else. Everyone in our group had a great time. I highly recommend if you can swing it to bring a big enough group to rent out all the villas. It made it really private and fun all week. The beach is great and there is a security guard all day to make sure you aren't bothered by the vendors and 7 mile beach.

The bad: the only caveat to our stay which one of guests pointed out was the bar next door. About once a month i believe they have a big party on Saturday night. They won't have one if there is a wedding scheduled but our wedding was friday. A little loud music wouldn't have been an issue but this was beyond loud. The base was so loud that it shook our villa all night long. Even the villa furthest away shook. The only person in our party who got any sleep until it stopped at 4:30 a.m. was my Dad cause as he put it he took out his hearing aides,lol. I know the moon dance can't control what their neighbors do but I would suggest talking with the bar about the base as there is no way that much base is necessary even for the patrons in the bar.

Even that though couldn't keep us from giving it 5 stars as they took care of us in every way, the food was top notch and the helped us create memories no one in our group will forget. It was a wedding week to compare all others too:)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mara-Jason H
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

My now husband and I chose to have our wedding at Moon Dance Villas after reading all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We couldn't argue with the glowing reviews, and it seemed to have everything we were looking for. Wedding planner provided, beautiful villas and private beach, only one wedding per week, food and drinks made to order, and since we were expecting about 40 total people at our wedding, we would practically have the whole place to ourselves.

Well, when we arrived in Jamaica, and were welcomed by the staff at Moon Dance Villas, we realized that this was going to be even more amazing than we had imagined. All week, the whole staff made us feel at home. And Oneika (the wedding planner) and the other front office staff made sure everything was set for our wedding day.

The villas (we rented all of them except the 2 and 1 bdr) were spacious, cool, beautiful, clean and comfortable. The food at every meal was delicious. We had a vegan in our house, and the staff was accommodating. There were snacks and drinks available 24 hours a day, which was very convenient. One night, the staff even ordered us pizza before they left so we would have some late night food to munch on.

As for the wedding, it was honestly the most beautiful set-up I have ever seen. And all I had to do was pay for the rental of white wooden chairs for the ceremony and for 5 round tables for the dinner. After seeing photos of a previous couple doing so, I requested we get married in front of the main tree on the beach. There are white lights already strung, the ocean is in the background (but not too close to drown out our words), and it provided some shade. The only decorations I brought were a few small paper decorations to hang from the tree, a cake topper, a guest book, and a "just married" banner. But when I walked across the bridge from my villa (Bay Whisper) with my mom, and saw the ceremony all set up for the first time, and all my guests waiting for me, it was more beautiful than I ever expected. The staff had hung paper lanterns from the tree in my wedding colors, and scattered flower petals down the aisle. It was amazing. For the reception, they cleared the chairs and set up the tables with white table cloths, ribbons, and the simple centerpieces that I ordered. There was a "dance floor" section of the beach with lights a tent and lights hung from above. The reggae band had a stage and tent. As for the reggae band, I was skeptical when I paid for them b/c I didn't have any information about them, but I'm glad I listened to Oneika, because they were a hit! I wish I could have had them play all night long. The singer got all my friends and I to dance, and we are normally not dancers.

In conclusion, this week was the best vacation of my life. It was just so relaxing and enjoyable. Anything you could ever want was available to you b/c of the amazing staff. I highly recommend staying at Moon Dance Villas, and can't wait to go back.

Tips:
-Get the all-inclusive plan, I don't know why anyone wouldn't do this. The cost may seem like a lot up front, but each meal was delicious. We were in Jamaica for a week where we didn't stay at Moon Dance Villas and none of the food at any of the restaurants in town or at the big fancy all-inclusive resort were anywhere close to as good as the food the chefs make at Moon Dance.

-Go to Moon Dance Cliffs one day, but get agree on a set price for the ride there with the front office BEFORE you get in the van. The drive to the Cliffs is really pretty, and the resort itself is amazing. Totally different from the Villas, except the staff was all just as friendly. They lent us snorkle gear and we all jumped off the cliffs into the crystal clear water to swim around. It didn't seem like there were very many other guests there while we were there..not sure why. But the food at the swim up bar was good, and some of our group watched American football in the outdoor sports bar.

-Ask someone from the staff to set up a volleyball net on the beach. It's fun. We regretted not thinking about it until the last day.

-If some people in your group go deep sea fishing and catch something, the chefs at the Villas will prepare it for you.

-Each chef is different, obviously. So, if you are renting out multiple villas, try eating at different ones occasionally. Each makes a different type of french toast, cheesecake, etc..

-We had our honeymoon in Ocho Rios the week after our wedding. We thought we were going to love it since we went crazy and spent lots of money on a big fancy brand name couples resort. It was a HUGE letdown after leaving Moon Dance. We wish we would have just saved our money and come back to the Villas for our anniversary.

I cannot recommend this place enough. I hope that people continue to visit, to keep the wonderful staff employed. They only work the days that their villas are rented. And because I hope I can bring my friends and family back every few years, and don't want anything about the place to change!

Room Tip: For the bride and groom, the master bedroom in the Bay Whisper villa is best. It's a huge room...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed at Moon Dance Villas last week for a friend's wedding. The resort was beautiful and very clean, staff was amazing and service was top notch. We had a great stay, sipping cocktailes & relaxing on the beach with friends all week. We enjoyed the gourmet meals and the hot tub at each villa. I would have given Moon Dance an "excellent" rating, however my opinion was changed on Saturday night. The bar, "Chances", located next door had a party that night that was unbareably loud and disruptive. The music and base were so loud that our villa literally shook from 7pm-4am. No one at the resort was able to get any sleep that night. What a disappointing end to our trip :( I'd still recommend staying at the resort, but make sure to check and see if the bar is planning a party prior to booking.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cara O
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

We discovered Negril on an excursion to Margaritaville from our cruise ship in 2005 and really loved the beach. My husband and I came back last year and opted to stay at Sandals, which was lovely, but, I had seen this resort on tripadvisor last year and was curious. We took a walk up the beach to find it and realized as we got near the end of 7 mile beach, we had somehow missed it. We walked back and looked more intently and finally found it hidden around the halfway point of the beach. It was no wonder we missed it, the villas are somewhat nestled in lovely follage and not blaringly obvious. I was very impressed with what I saw and we decided to book a week for a family spring break vacation. We had wanted the 3 bedroom villa, but it was not available, so we opted for the 2 bedroom villa for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 teens-14&16).
I must say, the only "complaint" I have is the fact our villa was not directly on the beach, but we already knew that before we went. The villa was beautiful! Very clean and nicely appointed. And being in a 2700 sq ft 2 storey house versus a cramped hotel room..what can I say? We were assigned Wendy as our bartender (who has had many great reviews on here), but the term "bartender" doesn't even come close to all that she does. She pretty much takes care of eveything you need the whole trip, including liasing with the concierrge for any trips, taxis, etc. It felt like she became part of our family by the end of the trip and I would not hesitate to ask for her the next time. I was pleasantly suprised at the quality of the meals our chef prepared, the food rivaled any fine dining restaraunt I have eaten at. The shrimp newberg and lobster thermidore were to die for!
This property is located on one of the nicest parts of the beach and the beach staff were great. Shout out to Winsley who always made sure our chairs were set up and the security staff for making sure our belongings taken to the beach were safe and looked after in case of rain while we went for a walk.
We did not go all-inclusive and opted for the European plan because we didn't figure we could eat and drink enough to warrant the $400+/day charge, but, after reading the previous negative review on the food bill, I was a little nervous about our decision. I am pleased to say my worries were unfounded and our final bill totalled less than $900 for all food and drink (approx $300 in drinks and the rest for food). We did do a few things that may have helped tho, we brought some favorite snack foods from home for the kids and tried our best to all eat the same meal at lunch and dinner, we also recycled our 4 different dessert choices, as there were plently of leftovers. So the reality of less than $100 day for 3 meals a day for a family of 4 is pretty darn reasonable. Our liquor consumpion mostly consisted of beer, gin, vodka and wine, so not opening a number of different bottles of liquor and drinking a variety of mixed drinks probably helped as well, but Im not sure how they charge for partially used bottles.
Im afraid to say we are now spoiled and cannot picture going back to cramped hotel rooms for our vacations, so we will definately be visiting Moon Dance Villas again in the future. The owners have done a fantastic job making this resort probably the best there is on 7 mile beach!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom villa, although not directly on the beach, is a good value for smaller families. It ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank danbran64
Cypress, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and I have made at least one trip for the last 10 years to Moondance Villas. We go mostly alone but have had friends and family join us for a couple times. The staff is absolutlely amazing. They take care of every whim you might have from the food your chef pepares for you to anything else you might want to do. You have your own staff for each villa. We have never been bothered by other guests in other villas. The villas and the grounds are always perfect. The private beach is beyond pefect. All of the beach toys are there. This is a vacation where we enter the compound and do not leave it for 2 weeks. There is no need to. You can either go there and become jelly or be active. Perfect for honeymoons, couples or families. If you break down the cost, it is about the same as a resort whether you are alone in the one bedroom or a group/family in a larger villa. They also have the latest technology to keep in touch with the office or whomever if you need to. I could go on as I have come to know everybody there. They have thought about everything to make this the perfect vacation destination.

Room Tip: Pick a villa size to suit your needs and the cost will be the same as a resort but a personal chef...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jim M
Yorkville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I have been to Moondance Villas several times over the last few years, at least twice a year, always right after Christmas. We have had small groups (just us), large groups (17 family members in 3 villas) and everything in between. We have always been happy and have been treated very, very well by everyone, especially Miss Wendy and Seymour! In fact, we just came for a long weekend to Moondance Cliffs and were able to have Wendy and Seymour with us in the cliffs.

Both places are amazing for many reasons - the beach, the pools at the Cliffs, the food, the service, the accomodations. The rooms are spacious and clean. The beds are comfortable, there is great water pressure (and hot water) and the air conditioning works great.

We have been coming to Jamaica for 19 years, and for the past few years, we have been staying at Moondance. It is now our destination of choice - the beach and the cliffs. Two different locations but both are well worth the money.

The villas are not cheap, nor is the food and drink bill, but it is all VERY worth it. I would rather pay well for perfection than be disappointed as we were at other properties in Negril.

I HIGHLY recommond both Moondance properties!

Room Tip: We have stayed in most of the villas - all are great!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple