“Great value! Great experience!”

Travellers Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Belfast, Maine
“Great value! Great experience!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I would totally go back to this place. The location of this resort was perfect, at the west end of the beach, quiet and peaceful. The deck where you eat is ten feet from the water! The restaurant food is very good but the menu is limited. Yummy curry shrimp and escoveitched snapper! My daughter loved the fish fingers. I did think the prices were a bit expensive though.
The bartender was awesome! Great drinks! My daughter ordered the (virgin) miami vice more than once. I liked it too(non virgin):) Rum punch was good too. They make it w/real fruit.
Our room was small and basic, but clean. The ac was awesome. It was quiet and had a remote so you could easily adjust the temp. There was a TV w/cable, but no phone. There was also free WiFi!
The beach area was small, but nice, with some lounge chairs.
There is a salon on site where we had our nails done. They did a good job.
The weight room, in my opinion, wasn't great. Just one broken down treadmill and some free weights. With no ac.
The pool was really nice. We enjoyed it a lot.
I also want to give a shout out to our waiter from our first night, Leroy. After my daughter had a meltdown (from lack of sleep) he was so sweet and understanding. He even delivered our meals to our room. Now that's service! After just arriving in a different country, it really meant a lot to me to feel welcomed and taken care of. Thanks Leroy, great job!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Adventuremom_99
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for your review! We are indeed blessed with a great location that is walking distance from the town center, shopping malls, and many other great restaurants. I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant food and drinks at the bar. We appreciate your feedback regarding the price and menu options and will certainly take this into account when we revise the menu. Just as a tip for future guests, room sizes and amenities are directly related to the room type. Standard being the smallest and most basic followed by the superior rooms which are larger with flat screen t.v/s and safes. The Deluxe rooms are even larger with either a king or 2 double beds. All rooms have free WiFi but no phones. We are currently considering an option that uses wireless devises as opposed to phones.

The gym is a work in progress so I do apologize for not having this up to the standard we'd like to provide for our guests. Hopefully on your next visit that will be in better shape. Thanks for shouting out Leroy; we were all very happy to read about how he handled the situation with your daughter. He is a relatively new member of the Travellers family and has truly been doing an outstanding job. Thanks again for your review and we're looking forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I and another couple stayed at Travellers Febuary 2013. We spent a considerable amount of time researching places to stay,not wanting to go of to another all inclusive resort.If you are an all inclusive traveller then stay at an all inclusive. Travellers is a locally owned hotel without the glitz and glammer found on resorts, and prefect for the seasoned traveller who prefers to go local versus the all inclusive trap of being confined to a gated resort. When we arrived there was an issue with our reservation, as we wanted rooms side by side, while they were unable to fix that issue the staff were lovely and compensated us by offering a free meal at the restaurant.

Yes, the rooms are dated, if you choose a cheap standard room, but they are clean and cleaned daily. there are other options, but we wanted to stay on the ground floor and close to the pool.The pool was clean and the bar was open. The restaurant was great, food was good, well priced and service was lovely.We really liked how the owners sat with the guests each morning before starting thier day.Also each eveing had a differnet event, on Valentines table were set up on the beach for dinner, lovely!!!

We loved the location, reataurant is on the beach, you can walk to town, walk to the tourist mall as well as local stores and eateries. Fatty's is across the street and would encourage anyone to have a meal there.

Again those of you who can't handle or are afraid of locals on the beach, go to a resort!! We enjoyed the locals and by the end of our stay had made several connections and look forward to seeing them next year

It bugs me to read reviews where this resort is bashed, which prompted me to add my two cents worth, Your going to Jamaica, not Florida!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 414Heather
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thanks for taking time to write a review about your stay. You've given some great advice for those looking to travel to Jamaica and are considering Travellers Beach. It's certainly not for everyone, so it is important to know what your booking ahead of time. I apologize to you for the issue with not having your rooms side by side as requested. It can be difficult to accommodate all room requests during times of high occupancy.

As you've pointed out we do have several room options to choose from and we are also currently working on upgrading all of the standard rooms. We aim to have that project completed by December before the new season begins. I'm glad you found the restaurant food and service to be favorable. I'm especially happy to hear that you've already booked to come back! We can't please everyone unfortunately, we can only use your feedback and others to improve upon the product and services that we offer. Thanks once again for your insightful review and encouraging review and we look forward to seeing you again.
Sanford, Florida
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Go here knowing that the place is older, you are in a different country with different culture and that nowhere is perfect, especially for the price you are paying. If you keep those things in mind you will have a great trip! There are some upgraded rooms but even those are just ok. There were ants ready to carry your food away if you left it out for too long but it's an island and the rooms don't have refrigerators so don't leave food out.

Now for the good! The beach is literally right there behind the hotel. I can't speak for every room but our room had A/C, COLD A/C and it was GREAT! The pool was cool, clean and refreshing. The grounds were well kept and the resort is clean. Everyone is nice but don't expect them to be overly friendly to you unless you are overly friendly to them. This is what I mean by remember it's a different culture. I found the staff VERY friendly but that's because I am outgoing. My sister found them nice enough but not friendly, but that is because she is nice but not outgoing.

The food was good here but honestly I was very disappointed in the menu because they had things like fried chicken wings, pasta, bacon cheeseburgers and fries which are all things I could have back home. I wanted to order REAL jerk chicken, curry goat (though they did have delicious curry shrimp) and dumplings. The only time they had the real Jamaican food was in the morning for breakfast which consisted of calaloo, ackee & saltfish, curry chicken, cooked dumplings, fruit and other things. That may seem like enough but really, I wanted a wide array of choices on the menu so I could try them. Side Note: My sister was EXTREMELY happy with the menu so if you are looking for an American menu in Jamaica, you will be happy too.

There was plenty to do right around the resort like walking to the local stores (be careful at night as they advise against that), people walk by and sell fruit, jewelry and all kinds of things. There are guys riding by on jetskis and you can rent them. There are guys on small glass-bottom boats offering to take passengers out to the coral reef for just the ride, to snorkel, for sunrises and sunsets.

The resort, itself, offers a karaoke night, jazz night and other special features. The singers they have there are AMAZINGLY talented people. Oh and the bar drinks are good and if you like banana you MUST try a Dirty Banana and/or Hummingbird... YUM!

TIP: Prices are usually negotiable so don't settle for the first price you hear at first from the peddlers. And I have seen so many reviews saying how people are pushy and hound you but I found the locals to be very friendly and once you smile and say no thank you, you have done your part and you may keep walking. No one is running behind you stalking you until you purchase something from them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool because that's where all of the action goes down.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WanderlustingFoodi
Thanks for writing about your experience with us. As you've pointed out, it is important to know what your booking prior to arrival to avoid expecting one thing and getting another. We've had a lot of rain this rainy season so ants have been a bit more prevalent than normal. Although we spray regularly it is important not to leave food out for too long. Thanks for your understanding with this being a tropical island. While our standard and superior rooms don't come with refrigerators, you can add this option at an additional fee. Deluxe rooms and Suites do come with a fridge.

I'm happy that you found your room to be clean, comfortable, and cold! I'm sorry that the menu disappointed you though (but glad it pleased your sister haha). We try to have a broad based menu that will appeal to both local and international clientele. We do offer a variety of fish, shrimp, and lobster options as well as curry and jerk chicken on the menu. We have gotten similar feedback for more Jamaican options though, so we will definitely have to make some adjustments there.

I'm glad you enjoyed the entertainment, drinks at the bar, and your overall stay. Thanks for your great feedback and for providing these wonderful tips for future travelers. We hope to see you again in the future!
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
Reviewed August 6, 2013

When I arrived I was brought to a room that looks nothing like the pictures. In fact nothing about this resort (if you can call it that) resembles its pictures. The rooms were small and dirty. I immediately demanded another room only to be taken to an upgrade that was worse(dirty kitchen, fridge was not even plugged in)There were stray cats and feces everywhere on the grounds and only a very thin strip of beach to try to enjoy!

Thank goodness, I've been to Jamaica before and called another nicer resort and checked in the next morning. When I requested a partial refund or my taxes refunded I was very rudely told I'd have to contact groupon which I did. Got my trip refunded in full but the resort kept my taxes that I paid at check in.

Not ever again. Beware Everyone....you do get what you pay for here. Which isn't much.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Tmorti1
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations of our resort.
The pictures on our website are actual pictures of rooms and grounds. Perhaps you looked at one room type and booked another? We have several room categories from which to choose which allows us to accommodate travelers of different types and budgets. There is no excuse however, for being taken to a room that wasn't clean. Housekeeping for the most part does a great job of ensuring a clean comfortable stay for all of our guests. I apologize for the lapse and guarantee that this is not standard practice for us. Although not all of our rooms have been refurbished yet, we do pride ourselves on having one of the cleanest and friendliest establishments on the beach.

Cats - We did indeed have an issue with cats, as do many resorts in Negril. Fortunately we have recently successfully managed to solve the issue in a humane way. I'm only sorry that this wasn't done before your stay with us.

Regarding your refund, I'd be happy to have your taxes refunded. I'm not exactly sure why this wasn't done while you were here but please email or call so that we can get this resolved. If you email reservations@tbresorts.com I'll get it and take care of it.

Once again I apologize for the failure on our part to satisfy your needs. We did have rather high occupancy at the time of your stay and sometimes things can go awry when running at max capacity. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Jamaica and hopefully you can visit us under better circumstances in the future.
Sauk Rapids MN
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I travelled to Travellers Beach Resort twice in 2012 and plan to go back in 2014. The location is perfect, close to town but not too close and right on the beach. I am from Jamaica but live in the states and my wife and I have decided to make Travellers our home away from home. Both times we got a room with a kitchen since we like to make our own food at times. The rooms are clean and basic. My wife felt safe at Travellers and the staff was pleasant. If you need anything all you have to do is ask. The food here at the restaurant is excellent and reasonably priced. The owner and his sons are very professional and accommodating. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a reasonably priced hotel on the beach. Thanks Travellers and we will see you in 2014!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
prestontbr, Manager at Travellers Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thanks for posting a review! It's great to hear that you've been twice in one year and are planning your trip for next year. We appreciate having you as a return guest and aim to continue making this your home away from home. I'm glad you felt safe and found the staff to be pleasant. I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed the food at the restaurant. Thanks for recommending us and we'll see you soon!
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked an ocean view room at Travelers in April. We like to go to Jamaica in the off season as rates are lower, and most places are not crowded. Our room needed some updating but was large, clean and had good air conditioning. The restaurant food was good and you can get an oceanfront table if you want. Food prices are reasonable. The beach is thin in front of the hotel, but there was sufficient room for the off season. There is a large pool by the food area.

The yoga center is right across the street and we got daily lessons ....I think about $5 per lesson. There are places to shop or eat within walking distance. Travellers Beach Resort is not a 5 star mega resort, but overall it is a great place to stay for a few days at a moderate cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glenn L
Thanks for submitting your review! Yes, you'll always find the best prices between April and December and it's usually much quieter time of year. You'll also find the best prices by emailing the hotel directly.

We're still working on getting all the rooms up to date and hope to be complete by the years end. I apologize for not having this done prior to your arrival. Nothing beats an early morning breakfast on the deck overlooking that magnificent caribbean sea and Negril's 7 mile white sand beach.

Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay and we hope to see you back again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
CocoLaPalm Resort
#11 of 81 in Negril
Negril Tree House Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Travellers Beach Resort? Share your experiences!